Colonia

I decided to resurrect my alternate patterns of colonisation thread from the old board in the hopes of making it a viable world like Mithras. If you remember this first appeared when we all started playing around with maps for the first time.

I just revised the map tonight, creating a new key where every country has it's own individual colour, though some of the greens might be a little hard to tell apart. To clear up a few points on who's got what: Cuba is Dutch, New Zealand is Swedish and Japan and the Phillipines are British. The colour blocks aren't entirely fixed as for the most part I simply used Ian's map of the world and filled in the blanks without changing the borders. So if anyone's got a better reason for one colony to go to another country just say. Also the map doesn't so much show the current layout of the European empires as the pattern of colonisation, so Brazil could be Britain's Canada, USA or India.

I decided to take the POD from one Paul Spring created on the old board:

I'd say a POD for this would probably be before Columbus' first voyage in 1492. Perhaps the King of Portugal agrees to support Columbus' attempt to find a westward route to Asia while still financing attempts to get around Africa into the Indian Ocean. The rulers of Spain never get much involved in the overseas colonization game because they are focused on trying to conquer OTL Algeria from the Moors in a series of crusades. By the mid 15th century, explorers sailing for France have claimed much of the east coast of North America and the coast of OTL Argentina. In the 17th century, the Portuguese (whose empire is huge but undermanned since Portugal is such a small country) lose some of their most prized colonial possessions (Brazil, West Indies, parts of South America, trading posts along the African coast) to the Dutch and English. At the same time, the French replace them as the predominant European power in India, though it will take another 150 years of trade, war, diplomacy, and duplicity before the French get a firm hold on the subcontinent. On the other hand, the Portuguese hang on to Mexico, the Philippines, and part of the north coast of S. America. By the early 18th century, they have explored much of the coast of Australia and established a couple of small settlements. Gold is discovered in Australia in the late 18th century, and stimulates Portugal to renewed prosperity. In the early 19th century, Portugal conquers Morocco after a series of wars. The Netherlands, on the other hand, loses its territories in the watershed of the Mississippi river in the 1840s when settlers there declare independence as the new nation of Columbia.

The King of Portugal at the time was Joao II:

Joao II

Judgeing by this biography he seems an excellent choice to propel Portugal to imperial status. Having Columbus sail for Portugal in the late 1480's butterflys Joao into living longer and having his son stay alive to succeed him. In England Henry Tudor wins the crown but finds keeping it another matter. The Tudors finally lose the throne sometime in the 16th century after a series of wars that empty the country's coffers and keep England from participating in the game of empire until the 17th century when they take Brazil away from the Dutch who've just taken it from the Portugese.

Oh BTW the country marked on the key as ?????????? is up around Vancouver and is the third of "North America's" independent republics after Columbia and the LFS but I couldn't decide on an origin for it so it's up for grabs.

Unless it's stated on the key a country's government system is undefined.

colonia3bG.GIF

Infernal Devices!!!!

A pox on Bill Gates and all his ilk, and his moose and squirrel too.

Last thursday my computer started to run slower than a British train so I can't do anything online.

(And before anyone says anything I've tried running the maintainence programs for hours at a time only to be told that there's not enough memory to run them successfully even though there was more than 66% of free disk space before I started deleteing excess files.)

As I can't get any research done or go indepth on new threads I thought I'd bump this just to convince myself that I'm still here.

Actually in OTL King Joao did send a message to Columbus in 1486, I beleive, that asked him if he wished to pursue exploring west of the azores. Either he didnt get the message or he was unsatified by the offer(probably no Admiral of the Ocean sea title).

Interesting, but I found myseld jarred by the term "Ottoman Republic". The Ottomans are the dynasty, so that's like saying the "Hapsburg Republic".

On the other hand, if the Ottoman Empire had basically remained intact but then abolished the monarchy, what WOULD you call it? It would probably still just be the Ottoman Empire, I suppose. It's hard to imagine the Arabs sticking around if the monarchy went, though.

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
Interesting, but I found myseld jarred by the term "Ottoman Republic". The Ottomans are the dynasty, so that's like saying the "Hapsburg Republic".

On the other hand, if the Ottoman Empire had basically remained intact but then abolished the monarchy, what WOULD you call it? It would probably still just be the Ottoman Empire, I suppose. It's hard to imagine the Arabs sticking around if the monarchy went, though.

Actually you were the one who said that the term Ottoman Republic might work when Grey Wolf voiced some critisism of it. That was back in a thread called something like "Messing around with maps" on the old board, it was just after we'd gotten image enabling there. I was going to look it up but the search function won't work for me.

Anyway nice to see this getting some attention at last.

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
It'd also be hard to imagine the Southern US states sticking around if slavery went, but somehow, we convinced them to stay. :cool: