Tunguska today?

Faeelin

Banned
Okay, odd thought.

POD: Several billion years ago,a comet simiolar insize to the tunguska one gets tilted to a course that intersects the earth on march 1, 2003.

We notice on, oh, December 4, 2002. We all scream, gnash our teeth, prepare for death... only to have it hit the british columbia, and we emerge unscathed.

Effects?

We notice on, oh, December 4, 2002. We all scream, gnash our teeth, prepare for death... only to have it hit the british columbia, and we emerge unscathed.

Well--except for everyone in british columbia that is... :)

"Duuude--pass me the bong, man..."
>>Booom!<<
"I said bong, not bomb!..."

Seriously--Tunguska explosion was in the neighbourhood of about 20 megatons or so, if my feeble memory serves me. Bad news for anybody in the area but both the U.S. and U.S.S.R. blew bombs about that size on a regular basis during the 50's.

Screw up the climate for a bit as well but, overall, world would shrug their shoulders and go on...

Last edited:
Asgard

Of Course not-- We all know that the universe was created by The Great God Chronos, as a playground for his kid {Wodin} :D Thor came lots later :p

Seriously the lastest thery about Tunguska, is that it was a Superheated Air burst meteor, A phemomimia that evidently happens several times a day at High Altitudes, [as shown by space cameras observing the astrosphere]

The only thing about Tunguska is the low altitude it exploded at.

I don't see how a comet big enough to cause a Tunguska incident would NOT be able to be seen. I mean, C'mon.

But if it were the Alien Spaceship theory, THAT would cause nuclear war.... but that's for the ASB forum.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Ye, I would be very disappointed in the observatory near my parents' home if it completely failed to notice this ! Its part of the global NEO project (Near-Earth Objects). Of course, what could actually be the case is that it only becomes DEFINITE in the December before, after all until its very close it may just go by. The question is why it had not been SEEN and catalogued in the past as a potential hit.

I would think that even an unanticipated nuclear burst in British Columbia would not spark an atomic war as its a freaky place to choose for your sneak attack ! Of course, it would be far more likely people would try to blame Al Quaeda etc, or use it as an excuse to take out North Korea - after all, their test missiles are not exactly AIMED anywhere

Grey Wolf

Faeelin

Banned
Actually there was concern in January that we were going to be hit in March. They rechecked their numbers and we were saved.