WI Norway became a repubic in 1905

In 1905 there were an election in the parliament about Republic v Kingdom the proposal to have a king won in Otl but what if Norway became a republic?

In 1905 there were an election in the parliament about Republic v Kingdom the proposal to have a king won in Otl but what if Norway became a republic?

First it will make the Norwegians republican very happy.
Then it depends what kind of republic it will be it will be a presidential ( US or France )
it will be a parliamentarian ( Germany or Finland )

For a presidential (depending on the personality of the president) there is a chance that it might be more engaged, take a more active role in the world wars.After the war a grater chance that it will join the E.U.

And then there is the influence on the other monarchies of Europe and in special those of northern Europe (Sweden and Denmark) and also Netherlands it might give a boost to the local republican movements.

All five of them? I'm not kidding, that the actual numbmer of votes the republicans got in hte last election. Not counting the royal family.

Anyway, I feel a republican Norway would be less stable, and may miss out on some of the better desicions of the 20th century.

Norway would probably stay out of WW! anyway. From independence in 1905, there was really not enough time to build any kind of military that would make entering the war sensible.

We'd miss the "I am King of the communists too" decision that included the communists in the political establishment.

There would not neccessarly be any descision to fight if Norway still gets invaded in WW2. If there is a WW2. On the other hand, a different political setup may mean Norway is stronger militarily in WW2.

When oil is found, the political setup may be very different, and the oil wealth may be handled very differently.

All five of them? I'm not kidding, that the actual numbmer of votes the republicans got in hte last election. Not counting the royal family.

But if a republican form of government won a majority in a parliamentary vote in 1905 as per the OP, I guess then there would have been at the very least a significant number of republicans in Norway at the time.

The number of republicans Norway has 2013 IOTL is sort of immaterial. Of course after many decades having a successful and well-liked monarchy republicans might tend to look like unrealistic cranks - pretty much the way most of Finland sees the relative handful of royalists we have, say.

Zeldar155

Banned
I don't see the connection between Republican Norway and joining the EU, the reason Norway hasn't joined the EU isn't because of differences in Government.

Then it depends what kind of republic it will be it will be a presidential ( US or France )
it will be a parliamentarian ( Germany or Finland )

For a presidential (depending on the personality of the president) there is a chance that it might be more engaged, take a more active role in the world wars.After the war a grater chance that it will join the E.U.

And then there is the influence on the other monarchies of Europe and in special those of northern Europe (Sweden and Denmark) and also Netherlands it might give a boost to the local republican movements.

Well since Norway already had a strong parlament is it mostely likely to have a parlamentary republic.

But if a republican form of government won a majority in a parliamentary vote in 1905 as per the OP, I guess then there would have been at the very least a significant number of republicans in Norway at the time.

The number of republicans Norway has 2013 IOTL is sort of immaterial. Of course after many decades having a successful and well-liked monarchy republicans might tend to look like unrealistic cranks - pretty much the way most of Finland sees the relative handful of royalists we have, say.

Thing is, there was considerable support for the King even from the start. King Haakon 7, back when he got asked to be King of Norway, insisted that he would only do it if a majority of the population would vote him in democratically.

In the resulting election, 12-13 november 1905, the voters voted for a kingdom over a republic at close to 80-20. In later years, in the occasional spat with the government, King Haakon sometimes had to make the point that he was elected with a democratic majority much larger than the government.

Norways always been strongly royalist.

What is possible, is that if no-one asks, the population will just go along with a President. But that won't have quite as strong roots in the population as the immensly popular royal house. (I may be biased though).

Once 1927 rolls around, I am not sure who else would have gotten labour into government, setting in process the change from a revolutionary movement to a reformist one.

Maybe Nansen or Amundsen? That'd start an intersting tradition:) Nansen, Amundsen, Heyerdahl....

Differences in the stewardship of the oil fortune is much more likly to cause a shift in the Norwegian EU stance. However, it must be said, the Norwegian people have a very old distaste for the word "union". Then again, the premise of this thread may require less of a tradition of asking the people through public votes about their opinion on stuff like this.

I don't see the connection between Republican Norway and joining the EU, the reason Norway hasn't joined the EU isn't because of differences in Government.

It will give a boost to the pro E.U. forces,that depending on the form of the form republic and the president.Then again it might change nothing,
For ex in a presidential republic a president will be more capable to join in the campaign for joining the Union

Thing is, there was considerable support for the King even from the start. KIng Haakon 7, back when he got asked to be King of Norway, insisted that he would only do it if a majority of the population would vote him in democratically.

In the resulting election, 12-13 november 1905, the voters voted for a kingdom over a republic at close to 80-20. In later years, in the occasional spat with the government, King Haakon sometimes had to make the point that he was elected with democratic majority was much larger than the government.

Norways always been strongly royalist.

What is possible, is that if no-one asks, the population will just go along with a President. But that won't have quite as strong roots in the population as the immensly popular royal house. (I may be biased though).

Once 1927 rolls around, I am not sure who else would have gotten labour into government, setting in process the change from a revolutionary movement to a reformist one.

Maybe Nansen or Amundsen? That'd start an intersting tradition:) Nansen, Amundsen, Heyerdahl....

Well with Nansen as an president (or equal title) is quite likely because he was very popular. And he would have been good at making better international relations.

It will give a boost to the pro E.U. forces,that depending on the form of the form republic and the president.Then again it might change nothing,
For ex in a presidential republic a president will be more capable to join in the campaign for joining the Union

But president of Norway hardly can decide about joining to EU. And problem is that people of Norway don't want that. Norway has too much losing if it would join to EU if EU in this scenario is similar as in OTL. Norway would has pay very much about its membership. It is too rich that for Norway would be reasonable join to EU. And if EU is similar as OTL EU Norway surely not join to EU.

Zeldar155

Banned
But president of Norway hardly can decide about joining to EU. And problem is that people of Norway don't want that. Norway has too much losing if it would join to EU if EU in this scenario is similar as in OTL. Norway would has pay very much about its membership. It is too rich that for Norway would be reasonable join to EU. And if EU is similar as OTL EU Norway surely not join to EU.

Indeed, Norway is hurt more economically than any economical benefit there is from joining the EU.

Many in Norway (primarily among the fishermen and farmers) absolutely despise the idea of Norway in the EU and that isn't going to change if Norway is a republic or not.

It will not decide,campaign for it,and yes it will be up for the citizens to decide.

Indeed, Norway is hurt more economically than any economical benefit there is from joining the EU.

Many in Norway (primarily among the fishermen and farmers) absolutely despise the idea of Norway in the EU and that isn't going to change if Norway is a republic or not.

Actually Norway will lose more in time for not joining in.Norway in could have been capable of influencing a more reasonable finishing policy (they do know that overfishing by the E.U, countries will affect them in time as well)

Actually Norway will lose more in time for not joining in.Norway in could have been capable of influencing a more reasonable finishing policy (they do know that overfishing by the E.U, countries will affect them in time as well)

This is very open to debate. The fish stocks are recovering due to careful management. How are the UKs stocks doing, or Spains?

Additionally, Norway feels keeping control of the national resources, like oil, hydroelectricty etc is quite important-

It will not decide,campaign for it,and yes it will be up for the citizens to decide.

Thing is, originally Norway was heavily Royalist. Almost 80%. If Norway were to end up a republic despite that, TTL starts out with the citizens of Norway having less influence on the political process, or not being listened to as much.

There may be no tradition for asking the citizens for their opinion through public votes.

Zeldar155

Banned
Thing is, originally Norway was heavily Royalist. Almost 80%. If Norway were to end up a republic despite that, TTL starts out with the citizens of Norway having less influence on the political process, or not being listened to as much.

There may be no tradition for asking the citizens for their opinion through public votes.

Some Republicans also voted in favour of a Monarchy because they believed Norway would have greater recognition and friends in Europe if it went with a Monarchy aswell.

To be honest, I think a Republican Norway needs a POD back in the 1800's for it to be voted in, in the referendum of 1905.

Some Republicans also voted in favour of a Monarchy because they believed Norway would have greater recognition and friends in Europe if it went with a Monarchy aswell.

To be honest, I think a Republican Norway needs a POD back in the 1800's for it to be voted in, in the referendum of 1905.

Or an very major event around year 1900

This is very open to debate. The fish stocks are recovering due to careful management. How are the UKs stocks doing, or Spains?

If you listen to the British not very good,due to the Spanish.But as i said maybe if Norway
would have been inside E.U. fishing polices could have been better.

Additionally, Norway feels keeping control of the national resources, like oil, hydroelectricty etc is quite important-
What been part of E.U. as to do with control natural resources ?