WI: The Stern Gang assassinated Truman

In 1947, Truman nearly was assassinated by the Zionist group the Stern Gang when they sent letter bombs to Truman and a number of other officials.

So, what would happen if the bombs ended up killing Truman?

Hoover cracks down on Nationalists, and Fascists, much harder.

If this is before the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 (I don't know when it was passed, or when the assassination on Truman is) then George Marshall becomes President until 1949, not sure if the Democrats would run him as Truman appointed him. If after the PSA of 1947, then Speaker of the House Joseph Martin becomes President, ironic the only GOP SotH for about 60 years is the one to become President.

Last edited:
The White House might not be up for immediately recognizing Israel's independence.

Israel might end up a bit more close to the USSR than in otl.

E.Ransom

Banned
Israel might not exist ITTL.

Doubtful.
Until it was obvious that Israel would end up in the democratic camp, and not the communist one, the USSR didn't mind Israel in the slightest. Only when that realization became obvious, did Moscow somehow magically start caring about the Arabs, and told its pawns in the Western communist parties to do the same.

An event such as this that sends Israel away from America, sends it into the arms of the USSR. Which might lead to the amazingly ironic (seen from our timeline) state of events that the US favors the Arabs, and the USSR/Russia the Israelis.

It might also very well have resulted in less Jewish immigration to Israel, at least Jews who weren't left-leaning would be more reluctant to go live in a Moscow puppet, meaning that we'd have a much smaller Israel, population-wise.

Hoover cracks down on White Supremacists much harder.

If this is before the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 (I don't know when it was passed, or when the assassination on Truman is) then George Marshall becomes President until 1949, not sure if the Democrats would run him as Truman appointed him. If after the PSA of 1947, then Speaker of the House Joseph Martin becomes President, ironic the only GOP SotH for about 60 years is the one to become President.

What does this have to do with white supremacists, though? :confused:

What does this have to do with white supremacists, though? :confused:

I misread what they were, thought they were a White Supremacist group.

Derp on my part, Hoover still might go much harder on Nationalist and Fascist organisations then he did OTL given one of them killed the POTUS.

katchen

Banned
Hoover cracks down on Nationalists, and Fascists, much harder.

This would have been very bad for Israel. Marshall was against the establishment of the State of Israel. If the Stern Gang was trying to kill Truman, they must really have been trying to force Israel into the Soviet Bloc.

I misread what they were, thought they were a White Supremacist group.

Derp on my part, Hoover still might go much harder on Nationalist and Fascist organisations then he did OTL given one of them killed the POTUS.

Okay, I see, that does make much more sense, TBH.

It might also very well have resulted in less Jewish immigration to Israel, at least Jews who weren't left-leaning would be more reluctant to go live in a Moscow puppet, meaning that we'd have a much smaller Israel, population-wise.
What about Jews from the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if Israel is a Soviet client would they be allowed to move there?

What about Jews from the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if Israel is a Soviet client would they be allowed to move there?
Depends on where the rest of the Middle East lies I would think - if they're still solidly aligned with the West then I could see the Soviets taking a sod them then attitude and allowing mass emigration to a Soviet Israel, if however they're friendly or not really aligned either way then they might hold off to keep from annoying the Arabs.

The fact that a president was assassinated by right-wing Zionists would probably cut down on Americans' support for Israel. There would probably still be nominal pro-Israel sentiment, like in the UK and much of Western Europe, but it wouldn't be the dogged, tooth-and-nail support we see in the IOTL U.S. It wouldn't be a mass consensus.