Let's all go down the Strand - Images of 1984 reboot

Prologue :: Let's all go down The Strand
One night half a dozen tourists met together in Trafalgar Square...

London. Saturday 24th May 2014
The five men and one woman stood with each other in silence as the flag was lowered from the arch, only for the replacement to be raised. There was no rallying cry from the Outer Party or Proles on this occasion. The noise was as muted and damp as the drizzle that fell upon the square.

In front of their platform stood a thousand quiet souls. There was no protest nor jubilation. To their right the leaders of Australia, the United States and the Indian Federation. To the left the politicians, worthies and ne'er do wells that held sway after the general election.

Eight hundred metres away the grand old clock tower rang out as it had for over one hundred and fifty years.

In pubs across the country the Proles sat and watched. Many were as disinterested as they had been before the change. All they wanted was football, the lottery and sex, and preferably not on ration.

A shout cried out from the direction of Whitehall.

Long live Big Brother

The police were as quick to react as their predecessors would have been. The lone man, the embarrassing breach of of the security of this ring of steel, was dragged away garbling the party mantra of a bygone age.

The American President looked at the Australian Prime Minister to his side. There was a look of frustration in their eyes, but satisfaction that their boys would soon be going home from this troublesome hell hole for good and not, as recent years had evidenced, in a body bag.

-----

Aston, Birmingham. 1897
The mohel muttered as the baby was presented to him by Lewis, his proud cabinet maker father. The elder brother, Samuel, only two years old, looked at his new born sibling with a mixture of fascination and fear, a view that many of the citizens of the United Kingdom would have for the latter half of the coming century.

The mother, Annie, was exhausted, but she had survived and now the child was eight days old and the men of the family delighted at the Brit Milah.

The boy would follow his father into cabinet making in the slums of Aston in the years prior to the Great War, before politics would take over. They were reasonable cabinets by the Brummagem standards that the city was often unfairly noted for. The boy would be proud of his city. A city that welcomed his parents from Poland and one that he would always call home.

The name had, as was customary, been kept a secret until the ceremony. But it was now announced to the Jewish community of Aston.

Emmanuel Goldstein

-----

Clerkenwell, London. 1984
The man warily crept into the shop. The bell above the door took him by surprise. Clerkenwell was, of course, a hotbed of the Brotherhood and dissent. Clerkenwell had always been a hub of dissent. The party said so.

But with intrepidation came excitement. The thrill of doing something brave. Of showing courage. Of doing something that was disapproved of.

He took the notebook from the shelf - it would make a perfect diary - and silently handed it to the man at the counter.

He reached into his pocket with his hand and pulled out the crumpled one dollar notes. It was almost fourteen o'clock. He'd have to hurry to get back to the ministry building down The Strand before half past.

-----

Let's all go down The Strand / Oh what a happy land! / That's the place for fun and noise / All among the girls and boys / So let's all go down The Strand

Last edited:
I :: See that my grave is kept clean
There's just one last favour I'll ask of you / And there's one last favour I'll ask of you...

English Broadcasting Corporation. Saturday 10th May 2014
The telescreen crackled and the narrator introduced the opening credits.

It's 16.55 on Saturday and time for the football results, on this, the last day of the most exciting season of recent years.

Football League First Division
Birmingham City 2 Manchester United 0
Chester City 0 Ipswich Town 1
Crystal Palace 1 Luton Town 0
Middleton City 4 Arsenal 1
Northampton Town 2 Wycombe Wanderers 1
Nottingham Forest 1 Shepherds Bush Rangers 0
Port Vale 3 Aston Villa 1
Sheffield Wednesday 1 Notts County 3
Watford 1 Coventry City 0
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Tottenham Hotspur 2

-----

Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire. 1915
James Michael Rutherford or Mick, as he was known, was the youngest of three brothers, and was born in Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire in 1915, three months after his father was killed in France.

His upbringing was harsh, with Rutherford reminising about how he and his brother would tread for flat-fish in the treacherous sands of Morecambe Bay in order to find a decent meal for the family.

At fourteen he left school and entered a period of unemployment and occasional piece work in the shipyard or steelworks of the town.

In 1931, aged sixteen, he was hauled before the magistrate after being caught in possession of a dead sheep which was found inside the sidecar of his motorbike. Whilst Mick had killed the animal for food, he claimed that he hit it whilst travelling the narrow country lanes around Barrow with his sidecar. Although the suspicions of the police and the magistrate thought otherwise, there was no evidence to the contrary, and Mick Rutherford was found not guilty.

The winter of 1931-2 brought more food and cold problems to the family, and Rutherford, whilst queueing for work outisde the shipyard, was pursuaded to attend a public meeting organised by the local Independent Labour Party, which he subsequently joined.

Work began to pick up at the steel works, and Rutherford became a key player in the trades union at the works, where within 18 months he had made such an impression that he earned a bursary from the ILP to attend the University of Manchester to study engineering. It ws there that he pursued an active interest in politics, and met Bryn Jones...

-----

Merthyr Tydfill, Wales. 1916
Bryn Jones was born in Merthyr two years into the Great War. Fiery in a character formed as a youth brought up in a coal mining district during the 1920s, Jones won a scholarship to his local Grammar School, and it was during a visit to Cardiff in 1932 that he first became enthused by politics when he saw Oswald Mosley speaking to dockers in the city, and promoting his recent publication of "Notes on a National Scheme of Public Works".

The 16 year old was drawn to the publication, and could identify with many of the issues and solutions identified by Mosley in the work. He shortly afterwards joined the Labour Party and the Youth section of the ILP.

As a student he researched the condition of the working classes in Lancashire, and spent two years interviewing working people in the Clifton and Pendlebury coalfields, as well as in the mills of nearby Swinton, and the docks of Salford and Old Trafford.

-----

Ladywood, Birmingham. October 1924
Goldstein walked down the road, and turned to the front door. The children in the street looked at him with unease.

The only people 'round here in a suit are usually bad news..

KNOCK KNOCK

It opened.

Aye?

Good afternoon, sir. I'm here on behalf of the Independent Labour Party. Can I ask if you'll be voting for Sir Oswald in the election next week?

It was going to be a close run thing, if the views of the people of Birmingham were to be believed, but unseating Chamberlain was a realistic goal.

General Election :: 29th October 1924 - Birmingham Ladywood
Mr. Alfred Bowkett, Liberal 539
Mr. Arthur Neville Chamberlain, Unionist (incumbent) 13,374
Sir Oswald Ernald Mosley, Independent Labour 13,297

It may not have been the result that Goldstein had wanted for his candidate, but it showed that the ILP could make a real impact in Birmingham and ultimately oust the Tories at a later date.

The hard work continued and in 1926 Mosley was elected as MP for the adjacent Staffordshire constituency of Smethwick.

-----

New York, United States of America. 1963
The two men smiled as they posed for the picture. They'd wanted President Kennedy in the picture too, but protocol prevented it. Behind them the famous skyline and the Empire State Building. Jones looked at Rutherford as their third delegate, Aaronson, joined them.

J: Not good. He didn't go far enough.

R: Agreed. Poor bugger got his fingers burnt in Ireland. Election and all that.

J: Yes, absolute shame. Still at least there will be a statement.

R: That's the least he can do.

The three of them looked at the camera. The photographer clicked the button.

OK guys. That's it.

-----

Ministry of Love, London. 1985
Winston Smith looked at the picture of the three traitors. He recognised the New York skyline from the books that he had destroyed in the past. He recognised the picture as the one that he'd dropped in the memory hole some years earlier.

He studied it for a second as O'Brien held it with tweasers before placing it into the fire at the side of his desk.

-----

There's just one kind of favour I'll ask of you / You can see that my grave is kept clean

Last edited:
Doubleplusgood update.:):D I wonder what that reference to President Kennedy getting his fingers burnt in Ireland means. Guess I`ll find out eventually.:):D

Thanks all. There won't always be an update every 24 hours, I'm afraid, but I'm committed to one a week now that I'm entering a quieter period at work...

As for the music:

Prologue: Let's all go down the Strand - traditional music hall
I. I've been to a marvelous party - Noel Coward

I'm new here. What is this story about?
It's a timeline based on George Orwell's 1984. Mr. Ritson's timeline assumes that "Oceania" described in the book is just the UK, and that the information about the outside world (the endless war with the three superstates) is party propaganda the regime uses to justify its hold on power.

Anyway I look forward to this!