Japan Alone Victorious in 1945

NapoleonXIV

Banned
With a POD anytime after Perry's opening of Japan can anyone come up with a plausible TL which ends in Japan winning in the 1940's when fighting the US without a German alliance or war in Europe? Also assume butterflies have prevented both the Manhattan Project and Nishinko's efforts in Japan, so the Atom bomb is not a factor.

The US Pacific carriers are also at Pearl on Dec 7th, 1941 as well as a simultaneous hit on the Panama canal, taking it out of action for several months or a year. The Atlantic fleet would need some time to get to the Pacific. That would probably give Japan the opportunity to consolidate its hold and strengthen its defenses enough so that it may not lose. However, there is still the British Empire to deal with. Maybe they encourage a full scale revolt in India at the same time.

Torqumada

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Thanx and sorry. I should have been more specific. By win I mean WIN, I mean "to sign the treaty by marching into the White House, " as I think Yamamoto would have said if his memory was bad as mine. In other words, they must invade and at least conquer, if not occupy, the continental US.

What Yamamoto meant

NapoleonXIV said:
Thanx and sorry. I should have been more specific. By win I mean WIN, I mean "to sign the treaty by marching into the White House, " as I think Yamamoto would have said if his memory was bad as mine. In other words, they must invade and at least conquer, if not occupy, the continental US.

I think that what Admiral Yamamoto really meant was: "Terms will be dictated by the Whitehouse" which if you think about it, is EXACTLY WHAT THE ADMIRAL PREDICTED WOULD HAPPEN! There was no way that Japan could accomplish a total conquest of the United States! Period! Yamamoto has been incorrectly quoted, IMO! The man KNEW that ultimate victory was impossible, if the United States wouldn't play Japan's game and just let Japan have thier conquests!

Faeelin

Banned
NapoleonXIV said:

Simple. The divine spirits of Japan's greatest ancestors open up a wormhole in time that lets Japan gain access to technology from the future. As futuristic robots piloted by young teenagers blow away America's military, Roosevelt surrenders.

The only way they can be victorious is by not fighting the USA. Perhaps they get the Phillipines before 1898? I think this is what doomed Japan in the long term; it ensured the Japanese would have to fight the USA if they wanted to have access to the "Southern Resource Area"

Valamyr

Banned
The only way is to not fight the USA for any length of time, which does go through the ownership of the Philipines.

I think its plausible for Japan to get its hands on the Philipines instead of the USA in 1898. Following that, they also get their hands on Guam and Wake. The US economic interests in China are therefore lessened and they are much less interested with the area altogether. I guess we could add Hawaii but its unnecessary.

Butterflies ensues, making sure the USA is less than interested in a war in the pacific in 1940. This stronger position in Asia lets Japan carve out larger gains in China and in Russia in the 30s. It also places it in an ideal position to strike at the southern ressources.

In late automn, 1941, Japan launches an airstrike against its former ally at Singapore. 2 of the finest battleships of the Royal Navy and the aircraft carrier HMS FORMIDABLE are utterly destroyed in their docks. Hong Kong capitulates within hours. Without (I think thats a scenario pre-resquisite?) the war in Europe going on as OTL, Japan has to invade Indochina, but US/British relations havent been tightened by years of sea battles against the Kriegsmarine's wolf packs. Japanese forces sweet through French, Dutch and English holdings in the southern pacific.

When the front stabilizes, Japan holds Imphal, the gate to India, has footholds in Southern china, holds all of OTL's south pacific conquests, in addition to Port Moresby and the Solomon Islands. Fearing an imminant invasion, Australia and New Zeland signs a separate peace in late 1942. After sustaining heavy damage to the remanants of their pacific fleet now based at in Ceylon, Britain is forced to accept a peace treaty to maintain it's hold on India. Only the lingering threat of a vaguely possible US entry into the war convinces Japan it's time to consolidate their gains before that happens.

Japan hands back the Solomons and Imphal, but keep the rest. With a new front opened in the south, China is absorbed entirely into the Manchukoku by late 1943. (Minus Tibet, Sinkiang).

OTL's European war is avoided by having Germany pitted against the USSR without Anglo/French involvement. By the end of Pacific War, Germany and the USSR have come to a truce of sorts, with a front line cutting Ukraine in two, from Crimea to Latvia. Hitlerian Germany ferocely condemns the "loss of a continent for the White Race" and blames US inaction against the Yellow Wave as the cause of defeat. French and British "weakness" against a race of subhuman is used to fuel the myths of German superiority over "less pure" white nations.

Last edited:
Faeelin said:
Simple. The divine spirits of Japan's greatest ancestors open up a wormhole in time that lets Japan gain access to technology from the future. As futuristic robots piloted by young teenagers blow away America's military, Roosevelt surrenders.

Scott's is the only POD I can think of that would work. This is like, How could Lichtenstein have prevented German unification?

Well, in Stirling's "Peshawar Lancers" TL, the Japanese empire in 1940 can almost certainly take down the surviving north American state in California.

So, Giant Meteor Fall can do it.

Probably might be able to work up some sort of Devastating Civil War in the US in the 1930's with PODs after Perry, so we could have Japan take advantage of a chaotic situation in the US to grab Hawaii or something.

IIRC Japan took in lots of Jews that had fled Hitler. So

1930's Anti Semitism is greater in Britian & the US, Enstein and Cohorts, flee to Japan.
1944 Japan tests it's A-bomb by dropping it on a west coast city. :rolleyes:

Some different Republican Vice President elected in 1860. Lincoln gets shot c1862. The new president can't run a war and leaves headstrong, flamboyant, and mildly incompetent generals (I won't name names) to do it for him. He appoints Johnson VP in late 1863 to help him win the next year's elections. Shortly after, he falls down a flight of stairs and breaks his neck.

This proves to be rather poor timing on his part, as his commanders in the East are in the middle of an overly complicated campaign. Without anyone to keep order and make them pay attention, one of them has a panic attack and freezes, while the other two race to see which can beat the enemy first. One of them, by the way, is perpetually drunk. Two huge Union armies are entirely captured or wiped out, and the other flees in disorder into Pennsylvania. Stonewall Jackson, acting outside his orders, rushes North and manages, somehow, to capture Washington.

Johnson (in Philadelphia) seeks to make peace with the CSA. A general from the West (who had driven most of the way to Atlanta, but was then forced to withdraw as his troops were sent to the East), drives the Confederates out of Washington, ignoring Johnson's orders to cease hostilities. The city is burnt to the ground in the process. He finds two Supreme Court Justices who will declare Johnson's appointment to the Vice-Presidency unconstitutional, and marches on Philadelphia.

Johnson escapes to New York, where he barely survives a draft riot before moving East to New England. Government forces fail to retake Philadelphia, and a new Civil War sets in. While the rebels are officially still at war with the Southern States, neither side actually fights them. In November 1864, both Johnson and the rebellious General are elected - neither accepts the vote fraud in states their opponent controls, nor the legitimate elections in Western States. The war drags on. Virginia reconquers West Virginia, while Texas invades New Mexico.

Around 1866 New York secedes from the Union. In order to reach his greatest base of support in the Midwest, Johnson reaches an agreement with the Confederacy for transit up the Mississippi. Unfortunately, as soon as he arrives in New Orleans, he receives word that without his presence the government forces have largely collapsed, and the General is consolidating his position. Johnson is invited to travel West to the Pacific States, and does, where he establishes a functioning stand-in for the US government.

Meanwhile, in the East, the General finds himself forced to temporarily suspend the Constitution for the election of 1866 (no one would vote for him). That in turn sparks a third civil war. In 1867 New England gives up and leaves.

When the wars finally end in 1870, the British have taken most of Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota. The CSA has expanded to include every slave state, Kansas, New Jersey, and much of New Mexico. Pennsylvania, New York, and New England are independent. There are two nations claiming to be the United States of America, a puppet of Britain in the Midwest, and Johnson's more legitimate country, which stretches from the Pacific to the Rockies' Eastern foothills.

Then Japan gets ahead in nuclear technology by accepting Europe's Jewish refugees.

Which is all my way of saying that nukes aren't enough to let Japan conquer the US.

Faeelin

Banned
B_Munro said:
Well, in Stirling's "Peshawar Lancers" TL, the Japanese empire in 1940 can almost certainly take down the surviving north American state in California.

So, Giant Meteor Fall can do it.

Stirling's POD required surgical strikes on the great lakes and firing the meteors so that the swell went up the mississippi, and even then the failure of california is silly.

Faeelin said:

LOL, that seems to be about right.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Yes, I guess I could

Have the Kaiserschlacht initially MORE successful in 1918, e.g. Foch dead, Petain and Haig break the line
Then have the Allied counter-offensive all significantly more successful - an invasion of German territory, the call to arms of the 1918 class, the war spreading across the Rhineland and the South.
Kill off some likely ones - Goering as leader of a Jagds-thingy would not have lived too long in a situation of Allied supremacy, Himmler as the class of 1918 in the Bavarian army would have been thrown into battle and killed. Hitler, returned to duty and dies etc

Post-war, absent the Stab in the Back and absent the OTL Nazi leadership. Instead have a more mainstream but no less nationalist right wing take over in the early 1930s with the Great Depression

The overthrow of Versailles, the march to war goes differently but it still goes.

The Germans retain important scientific resources. If they ally with Mussolini's Italy, Fermi as an Italian Jew is still in Italy working for Il Duce. An analogy to the Axis rises, maybe an Axis scientific research establishment in deepest Swabia

No fervent anti-Semitisim.

War comes at the end of the 1930s

The Germans get the bomb first (imagine Fermi and a fully on-board Heisenberg and no 'Jewish Science' problems in the way)

Work on from there...

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
Yes, I guess I could

Have the Kaiserschlacht initially MORE successful in 1918, e.g. Foch dead, Petain and Haig break the line
Then have the Allied counter-offensive all significantly more successful - an invasion of German territory, the call to arms of the 1918 class, the war spreading across the Rhineland and the South.
Kill off some likely ones - Goering as leader of a Jagds-thingy would not have lived too long in a situation of Allied supremacy, Himmler as the class of 1918 in the Bavarian army would have been thrown into battle and killed. Hitler, returned to duty and dies etc

Post-war, absent the Stab in the Back and absent the OTL Nazi leadership. Instead have a more mainstream but no less nationalist right wing take over in the early 1930s with the Great Depression

The overthrow of Versailles, the march to war goes differently but it still goes.

The Germans retain important scientific resources. If they ally with Mussolini's Italy, Fermi as an Italian Jew is still in Italy working for Il Duce. An analogy to the Axis rises, maybe an Axis scientific research establishment in deepest Swabia

No fervent anti-Semitisim.

War comes at the end of the 1930s

The Germans get the bomb first (imagine Fermi and a fully on-board Heisenberg and no 'Jewish Science' problems in the way)

Work on from there...

Grey Wolf

That would help Germany not Japan.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Well, the POD is no Japanese alliance with Germany and no nukes for Japan or the USA.

My idea was that the USA would get dragged into the European crises and when Germany unveils the bomb, have to settle with them

This leaves Japan either unmolested in the East, or more likely with the USA unable to focus on defeating them owing to serious problems in European affairs.

For Japan, a negotiated peace in 1945 would be a victory

Grey Wolf

How's this? POD starts with Japan launching a devastating strike against the Phillippines a day before the US declares war on Spain (they can see the writing on the wall and want to keep the USA as far away as possible). The US can't really complain, as it was making a case about how the Spanish were misruling their territories, but hang on to Cuba instead of letting it go free (without the Phillippines, they will want something major to show for the war).

Cuba goes into revolt, a harsher one than the Phillippines went into OTL, and the US loses a lot of soldiers (more due to disease than the Cuban rebels). With Cuba such an eyesore, the American public just doesn't support any initiative to enter World War I. On the other side of the world, with Japan's taking of the Phillippines, Anglo-Japanese relations deteriorate (Britain is worried about Hong Kong, Singapore, and Australia), and when Japan defeats Russia in the Russo-Japanese War (Britain doesn't intervene, but cuts off trade with Japan in protest), Japan sends feelers to Germany seeking a treaty. Germany, realizing that its own Pacific territories are vulnerable, and seeing that an allied Japan would give Russia the same dose of encirclement that Germany has been feeling of late, agrees, and Japan joins the Triple Alliance, which now becomes the Quadruple Alliance. When World War I erupts, Britain, having been forced to send ships to the Pacific to deter Japanese aggression, underestimates both the Japanese forces (later studies show that the British admiralty was heavily influenced by racist beliefs of the Japanese as inferior to the British) and the Germans; an earlier Battle of Jutland, with the entire High Seas Fleet steaming out to face the significantly smaller British navy blockading Germany, is able to destroy much of the force with less than a quarter of the losses (although it is still a blow to the High Seas Fleet, the battle is a clear German victory, and the trade route into Germany from America is now opened), while the Japanese succeed in taking Hong Kong and most of Malaysia while besieging Singapore and preparing a land invasion of Australia.

The US, busy with pacifying Cuba and now able to actually trade with Germany, does not begin its pro-Entente tilt. Furthermore, without any real Pacific real estate save for Hawaii, it is not as worried about the Japanese as it was OTL (the losses of Britain are internationally attributed to the British having to divide their forces, and the belief that the Japanese are inferior holds, except in Japan, naturally). With food and supplies now able to enter Germany, Germany stops its unlimited naval warfare plan before it begins, and German U-boats gain fame for accompanying German vessels into battle and sinking battleships, rather than for annihilating shipping, although they still do this to some extent.

Japan, meanwhile, invades the Dutch East Indies, overrunning the Dutch defenders and being hailed as heroes and liberators by the natives. Australia invades the Dutch East Indies as well, and the two forces clash on the island. It quickly becomes a land war similar to those in Europe, and vast jungles are wiped out during the engagements, turning the soil into as lunar a landscape as Belgium and France. With ANZAC troops rushed in to stop the Japanese (who have total naval supremacy in the region, and use it to the fullest effect), and with the British navy defending home waters while German troops push forward, Italy joins in the war, living up to its pre-war alliance, and attacks south-eastern France. The French ship troops south and halt the Italian invasion and push it back into Italy, but a fierce German attack on the Marne succeeds with no British or French reinforcements available (the British hold back, fearing a possible German invasion, whereas the French shipped most ready reinforcements south to halt the Italians). At the same time, the Japanese, having the edge in the war against Australia, push forward, and defeat the ANZAC troops (remember, they were not nearly as war-ready as Japan, and Australian industry can't keep up with Japanese). The Great War is ended in November, and the Treaty of Hamburg changes the world.

The treaty states that Britain will recognize the rights of Japan in the Pacific, and Japan gains all of the territory that it won in the war. In Europe, France rescinds its claim to Alsace and Lorraine, and both nations agree to demilitarize the border; furthermore, Italy regains control of the island of Corsica after more than a century. In the East, Russia gives up Poland and Galicia, which go, respectively, to Germany and Austro-Hungary. Austria annexes much of Serbia, and Russia agrees to relinquish its claim as the protector of the South Slavs. France also gave up its African territories to Germany and Italy. British East Africa and Northern Nigeria goes to Germany, with British Somalia going to Italy.

With World War I a huge Japanese victory (moreso than any other nation), Japan devotes itself to building its empire. With war having succeeded to any desired point, Japan does not gain a "War Cabinet," and instead focuses on integrating the Empire with the Home Islands; having learned from the years of European hardship in quelling natives, Japan opts for friendship rather than dominance, and its system of enforcing laws absolutely and eliminating centuries-old power structures gain the favor of the populace, as does the fact that Japan is the only Asian power able to stand up against the Europeans.

By the 1930s, Japan has heavily built up its industry, awash with the resources of its empire, and life has improved in the conquered lands to such a point that most people now refer to themselves as Japanese, the connotation becoming one with "citizen of Japan" as much as American refers to "citizen of America" rather than any particular racial strand. The Great Depression never occurs, so there is no negative effect on global economy. Japan also learned very well from the war; when troops were too inland for ships to reach, Japan realized that planes can be a form of long-distance artillery, and Japanese planes in particular gained a reputation of destroying concentrations of Australian artillery with makeshift bombs. Another innovation of Japan was simply realizing something that happened in Europe, too: namely, armored cars. Japan was appalled at the trench warfare of the Russo-Japanese war, but this had been thought of as a fluke; when the same thing happened against Australia, and in Europe between Germany and France/Britain, Japan realized that basic infantry and cavalry had reached their limit. It also saw that armored cars, while new and prone to breaking down, could punish enemy infantry with little risk to itself, save for artillery hits. The vehicle could deflect glancing shots, but not major hits, and thus had to rely on its speed to move it away from trouble and its firepower to silence trouble, rather than on a "shield." This system was likened to that of the samurai, which never developed a European-style shield, but rather an intricate armor system that could deflect glancing sword-strikes and arrows, but relied on the samurai's skill with his blade and his own movement to avoid fatal blows. Thus, the armored car was refined with speed and firepower in mind, while tracks to overcome trenches and slightly thickened armor were introduced. The final product was called a yoroi, the name of samurai armor.

The Great Depression, which strikes in 1923, heavily devastates the economies of Europe and the United States; Japan, however, has largely cut itself from the world economy, focusing its products on its own empire and building up the conquered lands to a higher level. So, although the Depression affects Japan, the blow is not nearly as heavy as in the US and Europe. By 1930, the Japanese economy has reached the US' level (which did not become an arsenal to the Entente, nor received the big boost from the entry into war by having to supply millions of troops, and thus is hurt even worse by the Depression). This makes the US stand up and notice Japan, and the US begins talks with Australia for an alliance against the Japanese. The United States also places an embargo on Japan, accusing it of mismanaging the territory illegally conquered in the Great War, which is a blow to the Japanese economy. Japan, however, is wealthy enough that militarists are not able to use the situation to gain power; the decision is made, however, that Australia is a dangerous foe, particularly with the United States supporting it. Thus, on May 4th of 1936, Japan launches a surprise attack on Australia and the United States.

In the space of the two decades since the Great War, most of Europe focused on the lessons it learned; namely, infantry movement was the key to war. Thus, the European style of war developed into a heavily mobile and infantry reliant one, with planes being designed as large as possible to deliver paratroopers, and with infantry armed with automatic rifles and machine guns. Only Japan had focused on the development of armored cars or dive bombers; thus, although the Australian infantry was able to annihilate the first waves of Japanese infantry, the situation was soon changed when Japanese takas (dive bombers) and washis (fighters) arrived. Soon, air supremacy rested with the Japanese, and the arrival of the yoroi obliterated enemy infantry positions, particularly when used in coordination with taka assaults. At the same time, most of the Japanese Navy had approached the island of Hawaii, and launched a surprise attack on the US Pacific Fleet stationed there. Although a battleship and a carrier were not at the harbor, and thus were spared destruction, the destruction of almost all of the US Pacific Fleet by the superior Japanese warplanes was a rude awakening to the Americans. The US and the British Empire declared war on the Empire of Japan on May 5th, but the fighting in Australia was harsh, and the British naval squadrons in India were ordered to wait for reinforcements from the Mediterranean before engaging the Japanese, whereas the United States now had to sail the Atlantic Fleet out to reach Japan; this was made even harder when the Kira Butai, the Japanese strike force, also attacked the Panama Canal, obliterating the passage so severely that it would take approximately seven months to rebuild.

The Japanese raikou kousen, or lightning war, annihilated Australia's ability to resist, and despite the bravery of the Australian troops, Canberra fell to the Japanese on June 17th. In the meantime, the remaining Japanese naval forces had raided the British Indian Ocean Fleet, which consisted of a carrier and 4 battleships, and the commander, wishing to avenge Britain of her humiliation in the Great War, disobeyed orders and pursued the Japanese. The Japanese ships, while no match for the British fleet, succeeded in leading the British on a wild goose chase until the Kira Butai returned to Japan on May 29th. The British fleet was then led into a trap, and the Japanese carriers succeeded in quickly targetting and destroying the lone British carrier; after air support was lost, the remaining British ships were each destroyed in short order.

Japan now prepared for true war against the Americans; only a few troops were needed to occupy Australia, whose population was not quite 9 million, and so an army of 3.7 million soldiers, accompanied by 11,000 yaroi and more than 20,000 takas and washis, as well as the might of the Japanese Navy, now the largest in the world, prepares itself to fight the US. Japan invades Hawaii on July 4th, 1936, as the United States celebrates its independence day. The fighting is again fierce, but once more the Japanese armor and surgical strikes prove themselves decisive, and air supremacy leads to victory. Furthermore, much of the island population, seeing the benefits in the lands Japan has conquered, openly side with the Japanese once victory becomes evident, and makes resistance impossible. This also speeds up the building of the island in preparation for retaliatory US strikes and conquest attempts, and Hawaii becomes the forward Japanese base of operations against the United States.

The fall of Pearl Harbor, in particular, yields a treasure trove for the Japanese; in particular, Japanese troops are able to seize the US naval code before it is destroyed, and use it to stunning effect: the US Atlantic Fleet is ambushed as it sails north towards Los Angeles, outnumbered nearly three to one, with a five to one disadvantage in carriers, and is annihilated with hardly any Japanese losses. With the US fleets out of commission (although the US begins a powerful program of rebuilding on the East Coast), the plans for an invasion of the continental United States are drawn up.

Unlike England, which was able to create a powerful defensive wall when it feared German invasion in World War I, the United States are unable to throw up sizable defenses along the massive stretch of Pacific coastline. Their mobile infantry reserves, green to the gills, are called up, and more troops are churned out by the government, with an army of nearly four million men ready to hurl back the Japanese and nearly four million more being trained. The US, however, has only a handful of yaroi, called armored cars, which are more land-fortresses than mobile weapons (the idea was that the infantry take a position, and armored cars hold it against any attackers until infantry can support them in defense). US warplanes are also designed to carry troops, and thus, although long-range strategic bombers are plenty, the US lacks both dive bombers and fighters that can come close to matching the Japanese.

And so, on September 11th, Japan invades the United States at an obscure beach in Oregon, overrunning the few defenders in a matter of hours and establishing a beachhead which is able to throw back four assaults from nearby US troops. Once again, although the Japanese infantry is not as well trained or armed as the US troops, the Japanese yaroi obliterate infantry and run circles around US armored cars, often simply bypassing the slow-moving behemoths as they fall prey to taka strikes. Portland falls to the Japanese in little more than two weeks of fighting, and the Japanese First Army strikes north into Washington, while Second, Third, and Fourth Armies strike south, into California. Washington's defenders are also unable to halt the Japanese, but as winter sets in, the Japanese advance slows in Washington, although the region is not cold enough to prevent Japanese yaroi and planes from destroying any force that comes out against them. To the south, in California, the cold weather comes slower, and the Japanese continue southwards until they reach Sacramento; it is here that the US Third and Fourth Armies have prepared to face the Japanese, and the fighting for the state capital deals the Japanese the heaviest losses they have received so far. The US, however, lacks the ability to take out the massed yaroi, which cut through any pockets of resistance, and Japanese bombers obliterate much of Sacramento before both armies surrender to the Japanese forces.

The prisoners taken so far are shipped to detention camps in Hawaii, where they are processed and then sent back to the Home Islands for "safe keeping." Furthermore, with no significant British or American activity in the Pacific, the Japanese supply route, although incredibly long, is also very secure, and supplies begin to arrive on a round-the-clock basis. Most of the supplies coming in, aside from ammunition and the like, are more yaroi; the Japanese see that the Americans have nothing to stop the yaroi at the moment, and thus press their advantage. With both armies wiped out, the Japanese are able to finish out California by taking San Francisco and Los Angeles within a week of eachother (the first falls to Second Army, while Third and Fourth take the massive Los Angeles); the Golden Gate bridge is one of the famous losses of the Battle of San Francisco, and, in a famous scene, the Japanese commanding general solemnly apologizes to the mayor of the city for the loss, stating that "all of Japan grieves at the loss of this wonder," and offering to speak with his government on reimbursement and repair of the bridge.

Having faced only losses, the American president, Charles Curtis, agrees to the Japanese demands, which are surprisingly agreeable, as per the advice of Admiral Yamamoto, the head of the Japanese navy, who advised his government that the United States could grind Japan into dust if the war lasts too long. The island of Pearl Harbor will regain its independence, and will be neutral to both the US and Japanese, who both pledge to respect the sovereignty of the nation. Everything west of the islands falls into the Japanese sphere of influence, and everything east into the American. Japan will also gain Australia and New Zealand (which it did not conquer but simply bypassed), but will pay hundreds of millions of US dollars to repair the destruction of the major American cities, and sign a non-aggression pact with the US. Curtis asks his Chief of Staff, Gen. Pershing, if the US can defeat Japan; Pershing replies, "Sir, if we can keep them talking for another year, then yes. Otherwise, they can take everything west of the Rockies, and we'll be damned if we can stop 'em."

On January 9th, 1937, the United States formally agrees to end the war with Japan; although the US itself does not call this a surrender, it is widely recognized that the beast is what it is. With its ally out of the war, Britain sues for peace as well, and is forced to recognize Japanese control of Australia and New Zealand.

(The map is of the world after World War I. Just make Australia and New Zealand yellow, and Hawaii white, and you'll have the world after the Pacific War).

map.jpg

Last edited:

Hendryk

Banned
I'm impressed by Knight of Armenia's scenario. There are indeed few other credible possibilities for Japan to win a war against the USA.
A frequently overlooked element of WW2 as it played out in OTL was the Chinese theater. Western historians tend to dismiss it as secondary, because they, like most of us, think that if no Westerners were involved, then it can't have been so important. In fact, by 1941, Japan was seriously bogged down in China. It occupied a territory of some 2 million km2 with over 350 million people. Even though the military resistance from the corrupt and incompetent Nationalists was desultory at best, partisan warfare, both Communist and non-Communist, created a guerrilla-type situation from which the Japanese forces could simply not extirpate themselves. You know how Vietnam was for US forces; imagine a territory 20 times the size of Vietnam, with 20 times the population, and now imagine trying to pacify it. The Japanese tried by every available means, from mass terror (the rape of Nanjing was only the most notorious of many similar exactions) to bacteriological warfare, with the predictable result of only pushing more people into joining the resistance. So by the time of the raid on Pearl Harbor, much of the Japanese fighting strength had already been digested by the Chinese quagmire. An ATL that leads to eventual Japanese victory would have to deal with that issue, perhaps by having Japan offer reasonable armistice terms to China, disengage itself from most of the country save Manchukuo and possibly Shanghai and Hong-Kong, and focus its attention eastward.

One caveat I have with Rafi's scenario is that I doubt the US and other countries will sit around NOT thinking up ways to respond to Japanese innovations. The Australians especially (being they, the only white peoples of Asia, are sitting next to an expansionist, racial-nationalist Asiatic power) would be paying VERY close attention to Japanese behavior.

I'd at the very least expect a REALLY big navy to hold the Timor Gap against the IJN.

Well, I believe that nations use what they learned in a previous war. Look at World War II; the German panzers were right there, and yet Britain and France developed nothing to counter it.

That is why I have European infantry become so elite; having focused on an infantry war, they naturally focus on their infantry to make it strong and mobile enough to avoid another trench war. They never bother with tanks at all.

And you really can't underestimate the racism of the time; it was earnestly believed that the Japanese were just inferior, and couldn't innovate, and etc. A common belief was that the "yellow" peoples of the world could imitate and duplicate but not innovate; so to think that something they thought of themselves, particularly something that couldn't be airlifted by their smaller planes (their tanks), could actually devastate the style of war would be laughable.