Pretty fascinating exploration on the politics on the Mysorean sultanate. Although I am curious if Tipu Sultan will find more success in forming diplomatic relations with the Omani Empire. Especially as they had a history of being rivals and eventual partners with the British Empire, so it stands to reason that the Mysore Sultanate could fill that role as being a provide wood and food stuffs.
That's a good idea: there will be a chapter about Mysorean economic policies (actually several, since I have one written on the Carnatic in particular that will be heavily economic-based, and I believe I have one on weavers written to at least some degree), and their overseas trade, and maybe it will be possible to work in something about Oman given Tipu's interest in overseas, state-controlled, trade. Also possible an interesting feature to play on in the long run in the 19th century, depending on how things develop. Tipu seems to have been moving towards a dirigiste and mercantilist direction and the Omani angle will be an interesting one.
Just a slight correction,the language is known as Kannada ,not Kannadian
Thanks for catching that.

That's a good idea: there will be a chapter about Mysorean economic policies (actually several, since I have one written on the Carnatic in particular that will be heavily economic-based, and I believe I have one on weavers written to at least some degree), and their overseas trade, and maybe it will be possible to work in something about Oman given Tipu's interest in overseas, state-controlled, trade. Also possible an interesting feature to play on in the long run in the 19th century, depending on how things develop. Tipu seems to have been moving towards a dirigiste and mercantilist direction and the Omani angle will be an interesting one.

Thanks for catching that.
Actually, could this lead to Mysore having foreign quarters in France or Oman? Maybe even in the Netherlands?

Actually, could this lead to Mysore having foreign quarters in France or Oman? Maybe even in the Netherlands?
If you mean something equivalent to European trading concessions, their factories, I can't see any European nations granting them to Mysore, but in the Indian Ocean perhaps. As far as more informal overseas emigration and quarters, eventually yes. I'm hoping to use them to explore the propagation of Indian dance, music, and in particular food overseas and how this will be both different in of itself and how it will change external images of India as a whole and particularly of different parts of India. There is also the other hand, in that coolie emigration will be reduced, which will have its own ramifications on things such as the slave trade as well as the composition of various places in the Americas and the Pacific.

If you mean something equivalent to European trading concessions, their factories, I can't see any European nations granting them to Mysore, but in the Indian Ocean perhaps. As far as more informal overseas emigration and quarters, eventually yes. I'm hoping to use them to explore the propagation of Indian dance, music, and in particular food overseas and how this will be both different in of itself and how it will change external images of India as a whole and particularly of different parts of India. There is also the other hand, in that coolie emigration will be reduced, which will have its own ramifications on things such as the slave trade as well as the composition of various places in the Americas and the Pacific.
I remember from the "Disaster of Leuthen" timeline that Mysore went on to conquer the horn of Africa and the Island of Sumatra. Is it possible with the former, as it would balance out the disparity between Hindus and Muslims in Mysore?

I remember from the "Disaster of Leuthen" timeline that Mysore went on to conquer the horn of Africa and the Island of Sumatra. Is it possible with the former, as it would balance out the disparity between Hindus and Muslims in Mysore?
I didn't realize that timeline incorporated a prominent role for Mysore, I'll have to go through and look at their ideas. But in any case I doubt that acquiring, if one could use that term, Muslims overseas would do much to reinforce the political stability of a Mysorean Muslim government at home.

I didn't realize that timeline incorporated a prominent role for Mysore, I'll have to go through and look at their ideas. But in any case I doubt that acquiring, if one could use that term, Muslims overseas would do much to reinforce the political stability of a Mysorean Muslim government at home.
Yeah it did. Although I concede that Mysore was written as an analogue for Imperial japan to an extent

Chapter 7, The Tiger Goes to Sea: Mysorean Naval Expansion in the 1780s
Mysore’s army emerged victorious from the Second Anglo-Mysore War, riding high on the tide of victory in the Carnatic, where it had rode to the shining sea, captured fort after fort, destroyed two British armies, and extended Mysorean control throughout the land. Compared to this, the Mysorean navy might as well as not have existed. Its fleet had been mostly destroyed in its anchorages or deserted, it had failed to control the sea, support land forces, blockade the enemy, nor even engage in much commerce raiding. Of course, to be charitable to the Mysorean navy, they were facing the most powerful and effective fleet in the world, the Royal Navy. The French fleet's intervention saved the Mysoreans, crippling British naval activity and enabling a blockade of the British army ashore which was vital to the campaign’s success. Without Suffren’s intervention, who knew what fate might have befallen the Mysoreans?

The new ruler of Mysore, after the death of his father, Hyder Ali, was Tipu Sultan - quickly named the Tiger of Mysore among European observers. Tippu’s decision to embark on the reconstruction of the Mysorean fleet was by no means assured. Although Mysore’s resources were dramatically expanded with the conquest of the Carnatic, Mysore faced the Marathas on its northern frontier, Hyderabad which grew increasingly close to the British out of concern over Mysorean expansion, and Travancore in the south, backed by the British. And of course, the fleet’s performance hardly inspired great confidence…

But Tipu had ambitious plans. He desired to form alliances and seek help from the Ottoman Empire, glorify his regime with a powerful navy and its own magnifiicent ships of the line, expand commerce via state backed trading companies and monopolies, ensure the passage of pilgrims to Mecca, compete with European merchant power, and above all else to secure the military role of the fleet, well shown during the war, where Mysorean victory hinged upon the French naval contribution which cut British supply lines. What’s more, it was a fleet to rebuild - Tipu’s father Haidar Ali too had spent substantial resources on his navy after Mysore’s conquests on the Malabar Coast and aimed to build it into a tool of state power, even if he was routinely disappointed. At the start of the First Anglo-Mysorean War, the Mysorean fleet had consisted of some eighty vessels, with thirteen top-sail men-of-war, but was largely destroyed during this first conflict, such as at Mangalore when multiple frigates and a panoply of smaller vessels were captured or destroyed in 1766. The same sorry story repeated itself in 1780 when British again attacked and captured a number of Mysorean frigates and smaller vessels at port in Mangalore: the capture of a few small British EIC vessels at Tellicherry hardly counterbalanced another stinging blow like this.

By the end of the Second Anglo-Mysore War, Mysorean strength in ships accounted for some 5 ships of 40-50 cannons, not insignificant by the standards of an Indian state but meaningless compared to the vastness of the Royal Navy, and the Mysoreans were entirely dependent on French naval support. Now, Mysorean naval expansion plans envisioned the construction of a new frigate fleet, of around 40 ships - and, most notably, a division of ships of the line of the European type, 12 ships ranging from 64 to 74 guns.*

In this, Tipu continued to enjoy support from hired European naval architects, the significant teak forests of Mysore which provided for excellent timber quality due to its strength, durability, ease of preparation, lack of splintering when hit, and adaptation to various climate zones and resistance to ship-rot as well as benevolent relationship to iron unlike oak, all making it generally superior to the standard European ship wood, and expanded artillery production. Previously under Haidar Ali in the 1760s the Mysoreans had also even built ships in East India Company yards, the EIC welcoming Mysorean efforts against pirates and the Marathas, but with policy decisively set against the British, the Mysoreans would have to rely upon their own resources. In any case Hyder Ali had been outraged when in 1767 the British had seized his flagship in Bombay when the First Anglo-Maratha War broke out and his ship was undergoing repairs in the English docks.

But it would still be a dramatic ratcheting up of construction facilities if real ships of the line were to be built, even if the Mysorean ones were to be smaller than their European counterparts. Mangalore, the main naval base, would require significant expansion and fortification to protect it, a point driven home by the British destruction of the Mysorean fleet at the start of the last war. The Mysoreans were aided in this by around 60 Royal Navy officers being handed over to them by the French in 1782, although most of them went home when the war ended. There was still an eclectic collection of Europeans employed by the Mysorean sultan in his naval yards and fleets: French, British, Dutch, Portuguese, even a smattering of Danes and Swedes, in all sorts of roles from naval gunnery, to shipwrights, to skilled craftsmen, to mercenary officers in the fleets.

The Mysorean sultans certainly dreamed of a powerful navy, but the question can be asked of just how much they understood the men who led and commanded it. First of the admirals of the fleet, in the 1760s, was the vassal of Hyder Ali, Ali Rajah, the Moplah king of Arakkal in Kerala, who committed the cardinal sin of invading the Maldives and blinding its sultan - even more importantly, without permission from Hyder. His replacement, an English mercenary, proved a non-entity and lost the flagship to British seizure while it was being repaired in Bombay in 1767, and then a cavalry officer, Lutf Ali Beg, appointed to command the fleet (entirely in touch with the Mysorean interest with fast light raiding cavalry) led to tensions with the European ship captains and their mass desertions to the EIC with ships and crews in 1768. Afterwards, a new fleet was built under the command of Raghoji Angria. But it was impossible to go without European technicians and knowledge for building a modern fleet, and so a Dutchman, of the VOC, Joze Azelars (perhaps not entirely of Dutch blood given the name…) was hired for designing and overseeing the building of a new fleet in the 1780s which would take advantage of new technology like copper sheathing, as well as a new dockyard at Bhaktal (near Onore/Honnavar).

The Mysorean fleet was organized around an admiralty, composed of some eleven lords under a high admiral, and a structure which clearly reflected a raiding or commerce protection ideal, rather than a real battle fleet - a set of admirals with responsibilities for set zones, with a relatively small number of ships under the command of each. Its principal base was at Mangalore on the western (Malabar) coast, along with Bhatka, Jamalabad, Wajidabad and Majidabad, while it constructed a new base at Porto Novo (Parangipettai) on the Carnatic. Due to the winds, which during the monsoon season blew to the northeast and the opposite during non-monsoon times, it would be often be impossible to connect the eastern and western naval fleets, making real concentration in war time of exceeding difficulty. Broadly speaking, Tipu’s strategic vision was based upon a two-tier system: against other native powers, such as the Marathas or Travancore, he would be able to use his localized fleets to blockade them and transport troops, complicating their strategic position and giving Mysore additional options in war with them. Against the British, even Tipu realized that there was no real possibility of facing them in line of battle, and would depend on commerce raiding and on forays from its bases out to sea against isolated British detachments - very much in line with Tipu’s experience as a cavalry commander.

Mysorean inexperience told in the mismatch between the major plans for fleet expansion and this rather ramshackle structure: the plans for a fleet of some 40 large vessels - with a contingent of 12 ships of the line (arguably less useful given the Mysorean context but a vital element of prestige), 25 frigates, and a collection of various galleys, snows, and ketches rounding out the lighter vessels, as well as some transports. Some of the most interesting vessels were a number of schooners that were intended to be used as rocket ships, firing Mysorean rockets principally against onshore forts, with their small size also making them useful in the coastal waters of the Malabar Coast, persistently an area of uprising and revolts against Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan. It was an extremely ambitious plan, and some aspects went positively for it: frigates were something that the Mysoreans had experience building, wood supplies were excellent, artillery was a bottleneck but not unbearably so and cannon production was being ratcheted up, and drydock and building capacity had improved markedly. But building ships of the line was an order of magnitude in difficulty above previous projects, and the problems of commanders and control was something which was not touched in the slightest. A navy is more than simply guns and ships, and Tipu would need time to craft it into his sword.

*Historically, Tipu apparently had plans to build a fleet of some 20 ships of the line after the Third Anglo-Mysore War, which probably speaks more to his growing desperation and delusions than a serious project, so I’ve trimmed it back substantially to something that I think might realistically have been contemplated.

Last edited:
I am wondering what's gonna happen to the Wodeyars. Other than that, nice chapter! Seems like Mysore is going to start manufacturing ships. I am wondering whether Tipu is going to identify areas like Gokarna, Honnavar as areas where you can build dockyards, ports, etc.

I think now comes the time when Tipu tries to form a more coherent state based on the rule of the entire Carnatic, maybe asking (“asking”) for the title of Ruler of the Carnatic from the Mughal Emperor, and leaving the Wodeyars as his vassals in rulers of only Mysore.

I am wondering what's gonna happen to the Wodeyars. Other than that, nice chapter! Seems like Mysore is going to start manufacturing ships. I am wondering whether Tipu is going to identify areas like Gokarna, Honnavar as areas where you can build dockyards, ports, etc.
Well, the Mysoreans could build some ships already - there were EIC officers who visited Mysorean naval yards and they observed frigates under construction, and generally they valued the Mysorean ships to be well built in a technical sense, and in some open sea naval engagements well-fought (although generally political and leadership failings meant this was moot). The escalation to ships of the line is the new development, but actually building and fielding them will inevitably be a lengthy process with many pitfalls. After all the problem is that the Mysoreans are going up against the British so even if they have the best navy in India that's still a hefty challenge - doesn't matter how good of a wrestler you are in your local division when your opponent happens to be an 800 pound gorilla on crack cocaine.
I think now comes the time when Tipu tries to form a more coherent state based on the rule of the entire Carnatic, maybe asking (“asking”) for the title of Ruler of the Carnatic from the Mughal Emperor, and leaving the Wodeyars as his vassals in rulers of only Mysore.
Unfortunately Tipu didn't respect the Wodeyars and completely sidelined them, even in ceremonial terms. Hyder Ali treated the Wodeyars politely and kept up the fiction of them being in charge, while Tipu deposed them and made it clear who was in charge even in a de jure sense. Not in my opinion a wise move - Mysore is the most promising Indian state for resisting the British, but Tipu has a nasty tendency to shoot himself in the foot for what seems like no good reason from today's perspectives. There's not much chance of him using the Wodeyars for puppets and legitimization.

Also wondering what's gonna happen up north to the Marathas. At this point they had quite a European style army but with extremely bad military leadership..

Well, the Mysoreans could build some ships already - there were EIC officers who visited Mysorean naval yards and they observed frigates under construction, and generally they valued the Mysorean ships to be well built in a technical sense, and in some open sea naval engagements well-fought (although generally political and leadership failings meant this was moot). The escalation to ships of the line is the new development, but actually building and fielding them will inevitably be a lengthy process with many pitfalls. After all the problem is that the Mysoreans are going up against the British so even if they have the best navy in India that's still a hefty challenge - doesn't matter how good of a wrestler you are in your local division when your opponent happens to be an 800 pound gorilla on crack cocaine.

Unfortunately Tipu didn't respect the Wodeyars and completely sidelined them, even in ceremonial terms. Hyder Ali treated the Wodeyars politely and kept up the fiction of them being in charge, while Tipu deposed them and made it clear who was in charge even in a de jure sense. Not in my opinion a wise move - Mysore is the most promising Indian state for resisting the British, but Tipu has a nasty tendency to shoot himself in the foot for what seems like no good reason from today's perspectives. There's not much chance of him using the Wodeyars for puppets and legitimization.
This is also gonna stretch the RN to a breaking point though, unless they Copenhagen the Mysorean fleet.

Chapter 8, Les Dix Glorieuses: Textiles and Social Change on the Carnatic Coast
The brief decade of 1783-1792 was the swan song of the southern Indian textile producer. Sandwiched in between the bloody destruction of the Second Anglo-Mysorean War and the massive disruption of international trade caused by the French Revolutionary Wars and attendant crisis in India, it would be fondly remembered by the weavers, spinners, and peasants as the last great time of prosperity. For the brief decade, made smaller by the draw-down at the end as the international climate grew tenser, and the time needed for recovery at the start, it was the autumn of the age of Indian textiles, and most particularly on the Carnatic Coast.

During the Second Anglo-Mysore War, the cavalry-based armies of Hyder Ali, Sultan of Mysore, wrought an untold devastation upon the poor denizens of the Carnatic. Burned, destroyed, looted, pillaged, the lands were ravaged as the Mysorean armies carried out a scorched earth campaign against the British armies to deny them rice and succor. War is always the plague of the peasant, the farmer, and the worker, who confront directly the furnace of arms: soldiers steal, murder, rape, destroy fields and houses. In the Carnatic, the marauding bands of Mysorean horsemen were the scourge of the common folk. The traditional mobility of Indian producers came into effect, and farmers and craftsmen fled the war zone, weavers carrying their pit looms with them, peasants hiding in forests and jungles, with an exodus to neighboring states, like Travancore, Hyderabad, or Mysore itself.

To a much more limited extent, the flight of the weavers was not new. Over the preceding years, British domination over the coast had started a profound transformation in labor relations, driven by the combined military-political-economic power of the East India Company. In an effort to cut costs and raise quality of textiles, the EIC embarked on an aggressive reform program, which would dramatically increase their power over previously largely autonomous Indian weavers. Traditionally, European companies contracted with local merchants, who themselves then subcontracted with weavers, advancing money for finished textiles. But this system was running into problems from the British perspective, as merchants encountered increasing difficulties and had increasing prices, and lacked an effective way to enforce their debt claims on Indian weavers.

The highly liberal and competitive market compounded this problem from the merchants’ and company’s perspective: the customary nature of contract law in the Carnatic favored the weavers. Merchants advanced money to the weavers, but weavers could cancel their contract at any time by simply returning the advance. With booming demand for Indian textiles, this gave weavers great power to negotiate, since they were almost guaranteed to find a better deal if they had to cancel their agreements. In the context of price inflation, this meant that any attempt by European companies to control escalating purchase costs were completely ineffective or saw Indian producers respond to the price scissors with their age old adage that if the merchant reduced the price, then they reduced the thread. Indian weavers were tremendously successful at pushing the rise in prices onto the company, rather than themselves.

The meteoric rise of the EIC and its military victory in the Carnatic during the Seven Years’ War, where it largely gained suzerainty, offered the tools to resolve this conundrum. Firstly, the EIC began to bypass its merchant intermediaries, offering advances directly to the weavers. Secondly it also began to more rigorously enforce debt collection, and its advances were more often in the form of yarn, rather than money, tying the weavers to itself. Weavers had to accept lower standards of living without generous contract renegotiations, and had less opportunities for expressing their discontent through market action.

Furthermore, the company sent sepoys to examine cloth production, inspecting the woven fabric. These sepoys also beat weavers who produced fabric for companies other than the EIC, and relocated and supervised weavers in their villages. Worker resistance was vivid, with strikes, relocations, and company-worker negotiations. While sometimes the company granted concessions, its military authority and economic power enabled it to marginalize competitors and to dominate workers.

This set off a trend of declining earnings on the part of weavers, no longer able to shift their rising prices onto the company, while its regulations prevented a decline in quality which could have achieved economies for the Indian workers. The position of weavers in the economy declined precipitously, as their previously advantageous economic status collapsed. Traditionally, weavers operated under the saying that “when they reduce the price, we reduce the thread,” but company management had removed this option.

1782 kneecapped this process, as the EIC presence in the Carnatic was eviscerated. Mysore, unlike the EIC, had at this time no tradition of worker regulations to constrain wages and control production: a relative liberalization took place. This brought a return to the economic situation as it was before the EIC’s reforms, and the Karnatic coast quickly recovered in a post-war boom, as peasants moved back to reclaim their lands, and European merchants, eager to satisfy pent up demand for Eastern goods in Europe and reactivate trade links harmed by years of war, snapped up orders. The French East India Company, from Pondicherry and its new acquisition of Madras, benefitted particularly from this, but the Dutch also stood to gain and even the British East India Company picked up a substantial part of its old market share. The brief economic boom was powered particularly by the agricultural developments, as recultivation of abandoned land the development of new land carried significant reprieves from taxes: the entire Carnatic was effectively tax exempt as a result, with significant, albeit temporarily, positive effects on the cost of food and agricultural goods, the main expenditure of Indian producers.

Socially, it was an era of change: Mysorean power in the Carnatic coast had the problem of working well in practice but not in theory. Formally, the Nawab of the Carnatic continued to be recognized in Delhi as the legitimate ruler of the region, since British influence in Delhi prevented a recognition of the Mysoreans. There was a rapid change over in the local nobility based upon individual negotiations with local power holders (deshmukh*) but strained relations and attempts at, as in Mysore, bypassing them to establish direct taxation of the peasantry seriously undermined their prestige. In the context of a weak nobility, combined with financial prosperity, and the need for social orders, it was the temples which benefited greatly: they provided the social organization and structure for many weaver groups, and led to a revival of Hindu temples and religious organizations along the Carnatic coast. Although it was not the intent of the Mysorean government, it was a change from the era of Mughal-era governance and the Carnatic's aristocratic nested influences: the middle sections of society were losing their hold while local temples and castes were strengthened on the one hand and on the other the central state was reinforced.

The results were impressive: cotton textile exports rose dramatically and within a few years agricultural production and urbanization had regained pre-war levels, and soon exceeded them. A more united market expanded the shipment of cotton from growing regions in the interior, the black lands of northern Mysore, although this also confirmed the specialization of Mysore into different economic zones - the central zone dominated by commodities production and heavy industry, while the Mangalore and Carnatic Coast were drawn into cash crops, luxuries, and light industry. Great profits were made, and the economic benefits helped to fill the state’s coffers, vital for expanding the Mysorean army and navy.

But all good things must come to an end. The boom was short-lived. By 1789, even before the political crisis seized France, increasing economic competition from European competitors, the end of special taxation regimes in the Carnatic, and rising international tensions were starting to choke out growth. What’s more, the Tipu Sultan had different plans for Mysore’s economic development, aiming to monopolize trade and cut out foreign merchants, a dirigiste economic program that might bear long term fruit and which matched the economic priorities of the Mysorean highlands but which was inappropriate for the traditionally free-wheeling Karnatic and Malabar coasts. It wouldn’t be until the mid 1790s that things ground fully to a halt, but the good days were clearly drawing to a close…

*I’m not actually sure what were the names for the local power holders in the Carnatic, so I used the Maharashtra equivalent name. If I figure it out eventually I’ll replace it with the correct terminology. Perhaps poligars.

Also wondering what's gonna happen up north to the Marathas. At this point they had quite a European style army but with extremely bad military leadership..
I finally found some documents about the 1785 Mysore-Maratha War and some ways to alter it, there'll be a chapter on the war eventually, perhaps combined with some of the other conflicts that Mysore will have such as with the Coorgs and Travancore, although the last will probably be the trigger for the coming general conflict so it might get its own chapter. Right now the Marathas aren't much impacted internally - Shinde is still focusing on consolidating power up north instead of concentrating on the Mysoreans, although the Marathas are somewhat closer to the British and also to the Nizam to counterbalance Mysore's sudden growth.
Could the Mysoris try to somehow poach Bengali shipbuilding talent, people with both experience in shipbuilding and exposure to European ships?
That'll be happening on an informal level. Generally borders in India are pretty porous in this era and labor and capital has great mobility, so there'll be some Bengal shipworkers in Mysore attracted by opportunities there.
This is also gonna stretch the RN to a breaking point though, unless they Copenhagen the Mysorean fleet.
They'll certainly try to do exactly that, that was the opening British move for the Second Anglo-Mysore War after all and it worked pretty well. How well will it work when the next one breaks out? We'll see.

Just wondering but what has become of the Oudh state?
I actually don't know, I haven't done enough research about north India other than some parts of British influence in Agra. I'll try to cover that in the British update I'm writing.

*I’m not actually sure what were the names for the local power holders in the Carnatic, so I used the Maharashtra equivalent name. If I figure it out eventually I’ll replace it with the correct terminology. Perhaps poligars.
Due to the variety of ruling castes in the Carnatic over the last few centuries, i think it's probable that local power holders have more than one name, in fact. Deshmukh was used in an all-around way, since some Hindu Zamindars and Jagirdars used the title to denote their muslim-conferred status, but i'm sure that in the Carnatic you'd have actual Zamindars and Jagirdars that do not use the Deshmukh title.

Also, poligar would be misleading, since that title in specific usually is associated with actual feudalized vassals to a greater sovereign, which may as well be the case of some of the individuals that you just called "Deshmukh", but certainly wouldn't apply to all, or even most, of them. Let's just say that a polygar is considerably high in the whole social pyramid, in theory at least.

Due to the variety of ruling castes in the Carnatic over the last few centuries, i think it's probable that local power holders have more than one name, in fact. Deshmukh was used in an all-around way, since some Hindu Zamindars and Jagirdars used the title to denote their muslim-conferred status, but i'm sure that in the Carnatic you'd have actual Zamindars and Jagirdars that do not use the Deshmukh title.

Also, poligar would be misleading, since that title in specific usually is associated with actual feudalized vassals to a greater sovereign, which may as well be the case of some of the individuals that you just called "Deshmukh", but certainly wouldn't apply to all, or even most, of them. Let's just say that a polygar is considerably high in the whole social pyramid, in theory at least.
Thanks, I suppose I'll keep it as is then given the complexity of the situation, the Carnatic is definitely an interesting place in terms of such a byzantine make up, but it does make it hard to term it.

Chapter 9, The Sinews of War: Mysorean Mercantilism
Machiavelli insisted that “gold is not the sinews of war, but good soldiers.” Unfortunately for Machiavelli’s logic in India, when men could be bought and paid for with breathtaking ease, like the condottiere of Italy, good soldiers would belong to the man with gold - or more precisely in India, silver, since it was the preferred coin of the country. Even more directly than European powers, the ability to pay and maintain soldiers was vital, and a failure to do so would see any state’s army wither away overnight. Worse for these poor Indian rulers, their armies of dubious loyalty were composed of men recruited from a military manpower market which was not picky about the bidders. Confronting them was an increasingly potent factor in Indian military affairs, the British East India Company, by its very name a mercantile and wealthy organization endowed with tremendous resources.

South India’s population had risen from around 10.7 million people in 1550 to 15.1 million in 1650 and somewhere from 18 to 20 million in 1800, of which the core of Mysorean territory constituted around 6 million people. Combined with the population from the Carnatic, and this was the tax base which the Mysorean state would have to fuel its ambitions for a powerful army and navy capable of confronting the Marathas and countering the still-present danger of the United Kingdom through the East India Company.

Hyder Ali was an energetic ruler, and placed taxation and revenue on a new footing. This to some extent had been a long-running process in Mysore, since the long reign of Chikka Deva Wodeyar (1645-1704) who restricted the power of the hereditary landlords, the poligars. Ali however, exponentially increased this transition, replacing gathering tribute with direct taxation from the peasantry. Under Ali this did vary from region to region, and in some areas, such as Dindigul, cawely, a sort of negotiated tribute, was left essentially intact, while elsewhere local chiefs were largely left alone as long as they didn’t resist, and there was still significant tribute payment from poligars and zamindars (another form of poligar) who in 1780 for example still sent a tribute of 10,000 peons. The portrait evolved under the reign of the Tipu Sultan however, annexing many the estates of the old landlords to the state and ruling through appointed functionaries rather than through the previous middle strata. This ratcheted up financial resources available to the Mysorean state and led to its direct relationship to the peasantry, although also requiring politically disruptive interference with local elites.

In any case, regardless of the nature of collection, the backbone of the economy was agriculture. Mysore’s agriculture was heavily dependent upon irrigation, with some 3/8ths of cultivated territory being irrigated, with tens of thousands of tanks and thousands of diverted streams and water courses to water irrigation. These generally were kept in a high state of repair and some new canals, tanks, and irrigation systems were built under Hyder Ali and the Tipu Sultan. The most ambitious of Tipu’s projects was the Seringapatam Dam[1] upstream on the Kaveri river, a thoroughly massive project which although started in the late 1780s would drag on for many years. Uncultivated land was encouraged to be brought under the plow by tax exemptions for a five year period, and new farmers were helped by loans of plows and credit, which would be particularly important in the Carnatic.

More ambitious was the mercantile aspect of the Mysorean policy. At home there was the institution of a monopoly on the trade in gold, silver, and copper, although an overreach with money-changing and brokerage was given up quickly. Other monopolies included betel nut, pepper, cardamon, and sandalwood, as well as royal prerogatives over lumber. This did have some contradictory effects, since the Tipu Sultan intended to build a large fleet to promote commercial expansion overseas, although in the strategic thinking which survives of the Mysorean sultan this tends to become mixed up with the idea of denying this to the British. However, on the Malabar coast the result of low government purchases and high prices of the monopolized products was to drive the trade into the hands of foreign ships from Muscat, Surat, Bombay, and Goa. Furthermore, many merchants were driven into ruin by the government monopolization of many sectors of commerce.

Despite this, a number of external trading houses were established, Kutch in Gujarat, Muscat and Hormuz in Arabia, and Jeddah along the Red Sea. Aden, Basra (where Tipu had hoped to lease the port from the Ottomans, unsuccessfully), and Bushire however, quickly failed. Trade with Burma was explored and trade with China protected. Mysorean exports included teakwood, sandalwood, textiles, silk (promoted by a government campaign to expand silk production), pepper, rice, cardamon, and ivory. in the long run, Tipu clearly intended to expand this network to provide for direct trade to Europe itself, on the back of his ambitious ship-building program, but during the 1780s this was still a nascent project, and one which ran into pushback from his normally ally, France, extremely reluctant to face any commercial competition, as well as the other European powers. The potential partner needed for European distribution would come from the most unlikely of sources: Austria.

William Bolts was a perfect representative of the cosmopolitan Europe of the 1700s, born in Amsterdam to German parents, moved to Britain, became a senior merchant in the British East India Company, but then was forced out due to personality disagreements and in 1775 accepted Austrian service in the Austrian East Indies Company. Arriving in India in command of the ship Joseph et Thérèse in 1777, in 1778 he visited Mysore and even had a meeting with Hyder Ali, and received permission to establish unfortified trading posts along the Malbar coast at Mangalore, Karwar, and Baliapatam. Unfortunately, the AEIC had run into severe financial difficulties, despite the 1,200 ton ship Kaunitz arriving in Trieste in 1781 with rich cargoes of silk, spices, tropical woods, and chinaware, and even a great diamond for Emperor Joseph II, a personal gift from Haidar Ali. There was a dazzling commercial possibility to be able to capture the tea trade while the French and British were immobilized and left the Canton market abandoned, but poor management and difficulties in spooling up operations meant that by the time the AEIC managed to get its ships to Canton and back, they managed the excellent commercial trick of buying high and selling low, and also faced some unlucky ship losses.

But the Austrians had a great advantage: they were a neutral company in quite clearly failing conditions, and one which unlike the other neutral companies, the Danish and Swedes, had failed to carve out a commercial niche. In desperate financial straits, the Austrian Company was amenable to as suggestion by nearly-equally frazzled Mysorean ambassadors in France, who had received fresh instructions about attempting to gain rights for Mysorean trade ships to communicate directly with France in the future and been promptly stonewalled by their French allies: the Austrians, in exchange for appropriate fees, extension of their trading rights, and a one-off payment agreed to a scheme where Mysorean ships traveling to Europe would officially belong to the AEIC. Unfortunately, only a single “Austrian” Mysorean ship actually made its way to Antwerp and arrived just in time to dock in a port thrown into chaos by the Brabant Revolution, continuing the cursed history of the Austrian East India Company, but the company and arrangement would never be formally dissolved…

At home in Mysore, the vital arms sector was aided by the immigration of European craftsmen, largely French with scores of them present in various sectors, and captured British prisoners of war - such as some 400 British sailors and 60 British officers that the French gave to the Mysoreans in 1782. This went even to some odd speciality subjects of the Sultan, such as promoting exploration of coal supplies. Another import was a French water-powered cannon boring machine, which broke down unfortunately and had to be replaced by oxen power, but it would provide a vital model for Mysorean artillery production.

One of the most fascinating, if failed part of these schemes, was one of Tipu’s plans for financing the creation of his new industrial and mercantile sector - with a state savings bank where savings to the bank would be used for capital investment, and would provide a fixed return on investment. Crucially this would be weighted towards smaller, rather than larger, payments, in a welfare scheme to benefit the poor, with a sliding scale where large sums invested would generate 12% returns on investment, medium ones 25%, and small ones 50%. This had several severe and obvious problems: it was possible for the rich to simply make a large number of contributions in different accounts under fake names, and the rates of interest were set far too high - especially since, as might be guessed, almost every single account opened was one of the lucrative small accounts. But despite the failure and its rapid discontinuation once it was realized the catastrophic misplanning inherent, it would be a trial for future developments - mobilization of savings and capital, and a vision of state economic action that would tie together the sultan and the people.[2]

The other side of mercantilism was restricting imports, with bans on the import of all goods save for horses, elephants, mules, camels, and guns, and the domestic agricultural market’s supply fixed by banning exports of ghee and oil, and heavily restricting grain and rice exports. Foreigners and their movements were circumscribed by requiring passports to travel through Mysorean territory. In practice however, the import ban was honored more often in the breach, with sugar imports from Benares along the Ganges, and cotton, wool, and hides from the northern Deccan. This is not even mentioning the overseas imports ranging from saffron to nuts, pearls to lead, copper to dates, from across the waves. What’s more, in the porous borders and mobile populations of India, attempts at controlling movement of Indians across borders was next to impossible, although Europeans could be better surveilled.

Mysore’s central power base was Mysore itself, with the Carnatic and Mangalore recent introductions, and perhaps this explains what would be a growing rift between economic policies of the hinterland and the lower plains. In the hinterlands, Tipu Sultan endeavored to encourage state-organized industrial developments, establishing networks of state-run iron forges, and even exploring the import or the mining of coal to help fuel them, complemented by the expansion of the arms industry with both musket-producing factories and cannon-casting arsenals. He had a passion for rules and regulations, and while these were often not enforced and it took time for them to build up, his economic vision for the highlands would aim to marshal its resources for a state-directed war effort program. In the lowlands, where exports of spices from the Malabar coast and textile exports from Coromandel were a mainstay of economic prosperity, his plans ran against their economic orientations.

Mysorean policies were a contradictory collection, with the only linking trend being that they all boosted the power of the state. At the same time as many of these reforms were revolutionary on the front of production and taxation, and did enable more resources to be marshaled (if inefficiently such as in the mercantile sector) they missed the key reform which had given the most formidable enemy of the Mysoreans, the British, such an advantage: a responsible, clear, publicly transparent system of spending and borrowing, which gave British creditors faith in the system and enabled borrowing at rates unmatched by the rest of Europe. As in Europe, Indian states relied heavily on credit from moneylenders and bankers and there were substantial and extensive networks of bills of exchange, but interest rates remained stubbornly high. Mysorean's fiscal was rickety and inefficient, despite its prosperity by Indian standards.

But it is a bad craftsman who blames his tools, and Tipu Sultan was not a man normally prone to pessimism. He was determined to remake Mysore and its place in the world, and would brook nothing standing in his way: neither the British, nor Carnatic and Malabar traders, nor faulty artillery boring waterwheels. Mysore would be a naval and mercantile power, or it would not be a power at all.

[1]The OTL Krishna Raja Sagar dam. Historically when construction started on it in the early 1900s there were inscriptive plaques that were found stating Tipu’s desire to build a dam there. Greater resources means that construction goes ahead, but it won’t be completed for several decades at the least, particularly with the time of troubles ahead.

[2]Historically considered by Tipu and exactly as I laid it out. Here it goes into effect briefly before it collapses as it inevitably would, but with future influences.

Last edited: