Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX)

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Gov. Michael Dukakis (D-MA)

Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
I also hope Al Gore still does the whole, "work better, cost less, and get results" administration reform. My mom doesn't know much about politics or history, but she's a real administration wonk, so she talks about it all the time.

Interview With Al Gore, 2001: Super Tuesday 1988
dc3hh7k-244abc22-c1a3-49e3-bf17-902ef3dae03a.png

maxresdefault.jpg

41: An Interview With Former President Al Gore
Friday, September 7, 2001

Tom Brokaw: The Al Gore presidency presided over the fall of the Soviet Union and a great many changes in the cultural fabric of the United States, but the man himself was a rather unexpected candidate and an even more unexpected winner. Tonight, we're seated with him to discuss his rise to power, and how a young senator from Tennessee found himself in the Oval Office. Mr. President, thank you for joining me.

Al Gore: Thank you for having me, Tom. Great to be here.

Tom Brokaw: So, what was happening on Super Tuesday of 1988? How did you manage to go from "potential vice-presidential candidate" to one of the "Three Musketeers" to the frontrunner in a matter of weeks?

Al Gore: Well, I think it had to do mostly with the fact that I was the only southerner in the race. And not just geographically, the other candidates weren't appealing to the southern voting base. So after Jesse Jackson decided not to run, it was a slam dunk.

Tom Brokaw: I suppose so, after all that would be when you took the lead in the delegate count.

Al Gore: And never dropped away from it.

Tom Brokaw: Right.

Al Gore: Of course, it wasn't without setbacks. Texas was really close, we only won it by around 8,000 votes. And Dukakis managed to win in Florida as well. But the other southern states, we swept them, because we were the only Democratic candidate in tune with their needs. After Mondale lost in 84, I think the party really wanted a change of pace, not someone like Dukakis. And I suppose I was just... in the right place at the right time.

Tom Brokaw: What was the last night before Super Tuesday like? Your final campaign stop before you became... well, some would say the presumptive nominee.

Al Gore: No, I wouldn't say that yet. But I remember I was in Texas the night before. It was late afternoon, a rally in Austin. Texas was a must-win. Though we did lose Florida, I think considering how close things were in those states, we essentially had a choice on whether to win Florida or Texas, we went with the latter. After that, I flew back to Nashville just after sunset. Seeing America... rural America from up high, it's really something.
the
Tom Brokaw: And how did it feel after that, when you came out ahead? What was it like?

Al Gore: You know, it's hard to describe. That feeling of accomplishment, that feeling you've already won, but at the same time knowing any mistake could still mess it up. But we celebrated the occasion. I remember Tipper hugging me before I gave my victory speech. I also remember on the Republican side, learning that Bush had overwhemingly come out ahead. That was a cause for more celebration on our side, since we figured Bush would be an easy candidate. And I suppose our intuitions on that end were correct.

Tom Brokaw: I suppose so. Now, you said during that speech, "This is a great victory for all of us, but the work's only just begun. There's still a long road ahead, but we've cleared the roughest patches."

Al Gore: Yes, indeed, I remember. Though if I could rewrite that speech, I'd remember that was really nothing compared to the immense job of the presidency. But you live and learn, right?

ziNPW1K.png

1988 Democratic Primary results, as of Wed, March 8, 1988

Figured I'd try a different style of update for Super Tuesday. Feel free to share your thoughts!

March 1988

MARCH 27, 1988
GORE WINS MICHIGAN CAUCUS, MAINTAINS DELEGATE LEAD
BqOndIg.png

Senator Al Gore delivers his victory speech in Detroit after narrowly besting Governor Dukakis in Michigan
Detroit, MI -- Senator Al Gore narrowly won the Michigan caucus last night, defeating Governor Dukakis in what is expected to be a contested state come November. The Tennessee senator, who remains the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, walked away from Michigan with 66 delegates against Dukakis' 61. With Dick Gephardt failing to pick up any delegates in the state, it is expected he will announce an end to his campaign today after failing to win a single primary or caucus since South Dakota in February.

It is assumed that the race will come down to Gore and Dukakis, with Gore continuing to maintain a large lead in the delegate count after a string of wins in Kansas, South Carolina, Alaska, and Colorado, with Dukakis winning in Puerto Rico and Senator Paul Simon winning his home state of Illinois.

This win comes as Vice President Bush continues to hold a commanding polling lead in the Republican primaries after his comeback against Senator Bob Dole of Kansas, sweeping Super Tuesday and already practically the presumptive nominee of the party. Senator Gore said to reporters that he is confident he will secure the nomination and win the general election against Bush, saying, "I believe that America is ready for a change, and so is our party. When we secure the Democratic nomination, I am absolutely certain we will defeat the vice president. America wants integrity and respect back in the White House, and we will deliver."

A recent poll suggests both Gore and Dukakis trail the vice president, though Gore has a higher percentage than Dukakis against Bush.

Gallup - March 21 - 26, 1988
"If the election for President were held today, for whom would you vote?"

George Bush - 49%
Al Gore - 45%
Other - 2%
Undecided - 6%

George Bush - 53%
Michael Dukakis - 42%
Other - 4%
Undecided - 7%

Bush holds a 4-point lead over Gore in polling and a shocking 11-point lead over Dukakis, which the Gore campaign blames on Dukakis being "too liberal" for voters in the general election. These polls were welcomed by the Bush campaign, and it seems that the voters are satisfied with Republican policies, or perhaps simply unwilling to change course. They come as President Reagan's approval rating hovers around 50%, the lowest in nearly 5 years, which most voters blame on the Iran-Contra scandal that continues to float above Reagan and Bush.

Gore's win in Michigan has affirmed his status as the frontrunner, but Dukakis has vowed to stay in the race despite the recent setbacks. Polls show Dukakis leads in Connecticut's primary, to be held on the 29th, however Gore leads in Wisconsin, and close results are expected from Arizona, Delaware, and the next big prize that both candidates have their eyes set on: New York, where Dukakis holds a small 1-point lead over Gore.

MARCH 28, 1988
GEPHARDT SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN, ENDORSES GORE
5e29f14762fa810c522d45e6

Representative Gephardt announces the end of his presidential campaign

St. Louis, MO -- At an emotional press conference in his home state of Missouri, Representative Dick Gephardt announced his presidential campaign was coming to an end. Gephardt, who won the Iowa caucus, Missouri, and South Dakota, but failed to pick up important primaries after Super Tuesday, says the decision was made after he decided that he no longer had a path to the nomination after losing in Michigan, instead announcing that Senator Al Gore was the man he would support for the rest of the primaries.

"Al Gore is the man who will bring the Democratic party to victory this fall," said Gephardt, "and I am proud to endorse him to be our next president."

Gore welcomed the endorsement, saying that he was "incredibly grateful" to have received it and thanked Gephardt for a well-fought campaign. The announcement is expected to hurt Dukakis, who was hoping for an endorsement from the third-place finisher to boost him. However, it seems not all hope is lost for the Dukakis campaign as he continues to hold a commanding polling lead in tomorrow's Connecticut primary and still has a path to the nomination. However, Gore is expected to put more focus on the critical New York primary on April 19, which, according to the most recent poll, he trails behind Dukakis by just 1 point.

Gephardt has been raised as a potential vice presidential candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee, alongside names such as New Jersey senator Bill Bradley and Texas senator Lloyd Bentsen.

April-May 1988, The Nominees
The race between Gore and Dukakis continued into mid-April. The two exchanged victories throughout March and into April, with Gore taking Wisconsin, Arizona, and Delaware while Dukakis won in Connecticut. But the real contest came on April 19, with the New York primary, a critical delegate-rich state. Polls showed Dukakis holding a narrow lead, but one that could shift at any moment, especially with Governor Mario Cuomo's endorsement remaining unclaimed.

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 8.03.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 8.03.56 PM.png

Al Gore and Michael Dukakis campaign in New York

Gore focused more on attacking the Reagan administration as well as Dukakis' Massachusetts record while in New York, rather than his more moderate-conservative social policy. Dukakis seemed to have the edge going into New York, as his views seemed more on par with Cuomo and behind closed doors it was rumored that Cuomo was likely to endorse Dukakis. It seemed that the media was not on his side however, simply because Gore often ate up media attention with his youth and the overall unexpected nature of his campaign. Gore was seen as charismatic in comparison with an often aloof Dukakis. Not only that, but Gore's more frequent and stronger victories in larger states made him appear to be a stronger candidate, and more attractive to voters.

Ultimately, Governor Cuomo chose not to give his endorsement to either candidate, stating "I trust New Yorkers to make the right choice on April 19th as to who should be the Democratic nominee." While not what Gore hoped for, it was certainly better than a Dukakis endorsement. Dukakis' campaign would struggle to save face as the Empire State slipped further and further from his grasp, until it was finally called late in the evening for Senator Gore.

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 8.26.55 PM.png

Al Gore celebrates his New York primary victory

With this win came a vindication of Gore's new vision for the Democratic Party, it seemed. The Dukakis campaign would never fully recover from this loss, and other than a few victories, from this point forward it seemed destined that Al Gore would be the Democratic nominee. The final nail in the coffin came in the form of California, which Gore won by nearly 4 points and officially made him the Democratic nominee for president in 1988.

Meanwhile, on the Republican side, it was barely a contest. Vice President George Bush sailed through the rest of the primaries and was coronated a few days ahead of Gore, setting the stage for a Bush v. Gore election. The speculation then shifted to running mates and the upcoming convention. What direction would Al Gore take the Democratic Party? How would George Bush tie himself to the Reagan administration - if at all?

8gercg.jpg

Senator Al Gore (D-TN) and Vice President George Bush (R-TX), the Democratic and Republican nominees for President

I apologize for this update taking so long, had a bit of trouble motivating and figuring out where to take this after losing my progress. Feel free to speculate on their VPs and the like!

Welcome back! You know Dukakis is dry when Gore is the charismatic one!

I could actually see Bush still favoring Quayle as his pick considering the youth and energy factor favoring Gore; as for who Gore taps I’d have to imagine he wants somebody from the Midwest, maybe John Blanchard of Michigan?

JUNE 12, 1988
GORE PICKS BRADLEY FOR VP, ADDS LIBERAL VOICE TO DEM TICKET

QZILDUBBCII6LA7KLGA7KNIEWI.jpg

NASHVILLE, TN -- After weeks of speculation, presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore has announced New Jersey Senator William "Bill" Bradley as his running mate. Bradley, who has served as senator since 1979, promises to add a more liberal voice to the Democratic ticket in contrast with the more conservative Senator Gore. Gore made the announcement at a press conference Sunday morning with Senator Bradley.

"For just about a decade, Bill Bradley has served his state and this country with a sense of integrity and respect. I can think of no better candidate to succeed George Bush as Vice President of the United States." said Gore, speaking on his selection. Bradley was considered a likely candidate for Gore's selection alongside other names such as Representative Dick Gephardt, an early supporter of Gore among his primary challengers. Bradley himself proudly accepted the selection, saying at the same conference "Al Gore is just the man to lead the United States into a new era, and I'll be happy to work alongside him to make it happen."

Bradley also played professional basketball before his tenure in the Senate, playing with the New York Knicks from 1967 to 1977.

Early polling suggests most Democratic voters are supportive of Gore's selection, though it remains to be seen whether independent voters will approve of the selection. Vice President Bush, Gore's presumptive opponent in November, has not made his VP selection public yet, though speculation surrounds names such as Senator Bob Dole of Kansas, Representative Jack Kemp of New York, and former Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee. Bush attacked the selection shortly after, his campaign releasing a statement: "Bill Bradley is another tax-and-spend liberal, and his selection proves Al Gore is out-of-touch with the American people."

YH9q7MU.png

AUGUST 17, 1988
BUSH PICKS SENATOR QUAYLE OF INDIANA FOR NO. 2, EMPHASIZES YOUTH
gettyimages-534246492-2000-fe2582e078ff47d0aafb2e73bdd094fa.jpg
INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- After months of speculation, the campaign of Vice President George Bush has announced the young conservative senator Dan Quayle of Indiana as his pick for vice president. Quayle, a selection that many did not see coming, has served as senator since 1981 and a member of the House of Representatives from 1977 to 1981.

At the press conference announcing his selection, Bush explained that Dan Quayle represented a young voice in the Republican Party, implying his choice was influenced by his presumptive Democratic opponent Al Gore's relative youth, who, at age 40, would be the youngest president in American history if elected. Senator Quayle is 41 years old.

1200px-Bush_Quayle_1988_campaign_logo.svg.png