All the OTL maps from 500 CE to 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapsburg

Banned
Shouldn't Canada be shown with the Dominion colour after 1867? And also with Australia after 1901, New Zealand after 1907, and South Africa after 1910. They were all given dominion status on those years.

World 1885 you can start to tell me what is worng in the map

1885.PNG

Thande

Donor
Shouldn't Canada be shown with the Dominion colour after 1867? And also with Australia after 1901, New Zealand after 1907, and South Africa after 1910. They were all given dominion status on those years.
While that is true, Canada is usually not considered to have the de facto status of what we consider to be a dominion until just after WW1. (i.e., the independence to decide whether to declare war on someone, for example, rather than just following Britain's lead).

Knight Templar,
OK, dude, you asked for it.:D The area around Kars, was already part of the Russian Empire by 1885. I have a copy of Black's General Atlas of the World, published in 1882, and the maps in it that show the Kars area, shows it as part of the Russian Empire. The Russian Empire has acquired the Kars region from the Ottoman Empire in 1878. Also the area around Rangoon (Yangon) was under British control starting in 1852, and further Manchuria didn't come under Russian occupation until 1900. Q

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
While that is true, Canada is usually not considered to have the de facto status of what we consider to be a dominion until just after WW1. (i.e., the independence to decide whether to declare war on someone, for example, rather than just following Britain's lead).
So then just outline it with the dominion colour in all post-1867 maps. Prior to the WW1 maps, fill it in with the British pink, between 1918-198? maps, have with solid dark pink, and then from post-198? maps, have it be outlined with dark pink and filled in white.

Knight Templar,
OK, dude, you asked for it.:D The area around Kars, was already part of the Russian Empire by 1885. I have a copy of Black's General Atlas of the World, published in 1882, and the maps in it that show the Kars area, shows it as part of the Russian Empire. The Russian Empire has acquired the Kars region from the Ottoman Empire in 1878. Also the area around Rangoon (Yangon) was under British control starting in 1852, and further Manchuria didn't come under Russian occupation until 1900. Q
now then:)

1885.PNG

Last edited:
Alaska was bought by the US from the Russian Empire in 1867, the so called "Seward's folly". Forgot to mention that in last nite's post, KT, my bad.

Timmy811,
The reason the borders on that 1885 Africa map you have linked to appear to be off, is back in the late 19th century, boundaries outside of Europe and NA were not precisely demarcated like they are today, so in most cases they are just approximations. Q

Another thing I noticed on the 1600 and 1700 maps - England and Scotland weren't ruled by the same guy until 1603, and weren't formally united (as opposed to personal union) until 1707.

Hapsburg

Banned
Another thing I noticed on the 1600 and 1700 maps - England and Scotland weren't ruled by the same guy until 1603, and weren't formally united (as opposed to personal union) until 1707.
Good point. I propose colouring Scotland in the "dominion" colour for maps between 1603 and 1707, and the same with Ireland for maps between 1542 (or 1171?) and 1801.

Good point. I propose colouring Scotland in the "dominion" colour for maps between 1603 and 1707, and the same with Ireland for maps between 1542 (or 1171?) and 1801.

No, I was thinking just having the boundary between them from 1603-1707, with both shaded in pink.

the world 500

The Americas in this map are questionable... There were no state-level societies north of Mexico or in the Caribbean, for example. Only hunter-gatherers and early, tribal village cultures. If they're colored white, the whole world should be. I notice the cheifdom-level societies (which are more complex than band and tribal societies) throughout Northern and Eastern Europe, the Himalayas, Southeast Asia, and Indonesia are not colored white.

On the other hand, you're missing quite a few in Mesoamerica and the Andes. Besides the Mayans in Mexico, we also had Teotihuacan, the Zapotecs, and the Veracruz Civilization.

South America on this map highlights cheifdoms level cultures in the northern Andes and Amazonia, not state societies. It has what seems to be the Huari Empire but not the Moche Kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.