Helmuth's WW1 (base) maps

Map of Cilicia (part of the Ottoman Empire) showing the construction of the infamous Baghdad railway, also known as Berlin-Baghdad railway. This map concerns the most challenging part of the railway, with the tunnels through the Taurus and Amanus mountains.

View attachment 875238
Without getting into endless discussions abut genocide, i have to say not everything that happened in the first world war in Turkey was about Armenians, the construction of the tunnels were a german project and because of their importance given outmost priority but they were only operational by the end of the war when it was too late to make a diffence. World war I was a war of railways and because of this chokepoint in the Taurus mountains ottoman armies in the middle east fronts were constantly suffering from logistics, they couldnt move reinforcements, ammunition and food fast enough to the front, even the railway network down in syria and palestine didnt work properly because they couldnt transfer coal which made the trains run, consequently they were always understrenght which contributed hugely to their defeats.

A map of the Russian Baltic governorates. The place names are in German, as the German cultural and economic elite remained important until the end of the First World War. Subsequently, the Baltic Germans attempted to establish their own state: the United Baltic Duchy. The viability of this state I would like to discuss in the thread 'How viable would the United Baltic Duchy have been after a German victory in WW1?'.

BalticGovernorates.jpg

Last edited: