Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline

One thing I wonder: ITTL, what would be the equivalent of the “2-in-1” KFC/Taco Bell restaurants that are common OTL, what with Taco Bell having folded in the ‘90s ITTL? From what I saw, the most popular Mexican fast-food restaurant ITTL was Zantigo’s, so I suppose KFC/Zantigo’s 2-in-1 restaurants would be commonly seen in this universe - right?
Only if they share corporate ownership. In OTL Yum! Brands owns both KFC and Taco Bell.

Khanh’s wrath is simply pushing more and more communist sympathizers and former V.C. fighters out of his country and into ours. When will the Americans learn that Asians are stronger-willed than Cubans? That they cannot change our minds about a superior form of government by shooting us? Let’s hope never – in my eyes, the more dead Americans, the better!

The rain season is coming to a close in a few weeks. We will launch the attack soon enough – our victory is inevitable!

– Phoumi Vongvichit, high-ranking member of the Pathet Lao, 9/30/1968 log entry
PATHET LAO H.Q. XAM NUA FALLS! Communists in Disarray!

…additional reports confirm that Phoumi Vongvichit, a high-ranking member of the Pathet Lao, is among the hundreds of casualties lining the streets of Xam Nua. General Creighton Abrams claims the communist guerillas are “leaderless and desperate, and now that they’ve lost this battle, they are disheartened.”

– Stars and Stripes, 10/27/1968
Nice stuff.

One thing I wonder: assuming Louisville builds an arena downtown for the UofL basketball team (as they did in real life), what do they call the arena? It wouldn’t have the OTL name of “KFC Yum! Center” given that “Yum! Brands” isn’t a thing ITTL - how about just “KFC Center” or “Finger Lickin’ Good Arena”? Of course, “Colonel Sanders Memorial Arena” would work too.

In addition, what about the many cities with streets named “Martin Luther King Boulevard” (or Drive) and/or “John F. Kennedy Boulevard” IOTL? As neither of their namesake figures were assassinated ITTL, I would assume these streets would still have their original names, whatever those were - although I’m sure some of them would have been renamed for the Colonel in late 1990/early 1991 (after his passing) or for Lee Iacocca in 1995 (following his assassination). What do you think?

In addition, I’m sure that Idlewild Airport (in NYC) and the Northwest Expressway (in Chicago) would likewise still have their original names.

Last edited:
One thing I wonder: assuming Louisville builds an arena downtown for the UofL basketball team (as they did in real life), what do they call the arena? It wouldn’t have the OTL name of “KFC Yum! Center” given that “Yum! Brands” isn’t a thing ITTL - how about just “KFC Center” or “Finger Lickin’ Good Arena”? Of course, “Colonel Sanders Memorial Arena” would work too.

In addition, what about the many cities with streets named “Martin Luther King Boulevard” (or Drive) and/or “John F. Kennedy Boulevard” IOTL? As neither of their namesake figures were assassinated ITTL, I would assume these streets would still have their original names, whatever those were - although I’m sure some of them would have been renamed for the Colonel in late 1990/early 1991 (after his passing) or for Lee Iacocca in 1995 (following his assassination). What do you think?

In addition, I’m sure that Idlewild Airport (in NYC) and the Northwest Expressway (in Chicago) would likewise still have their original names.
I imagine there's a fair share of roads named after Ralph Abernathy ITTL.

By the way, @gap80 what are the fates of the
five fatalities on the Titan submersible in the KFP universe? I would probably say the 19 year old doesn’t exist and the other four have different lives, but you might surprise me.

Last edited:
@gap80 I apologise if this has already been answered before, and if this isn’t even a question I need to ask, but I presume that Colonel Sanders doesn’t denounce KFC later on in his life?

From Wikipedia: “In his later years, he became highly critical of the food served by KFC restaurants, as he believed they had cut costs and allowed quality to deteriorate.”

Created some fanon about Anders Breivik. Curious about your thoughts, @gap80

TREATY ON GIBRALTAR SOVEREIGNITY SIGNED

Today, the Lennon ministry and the Kingdom of Spain signed a landmark treaty resolving the territorial status of Gibraltar. The treaty’s terms include dual citizenship for British citizens born in Gibraltar, small territorial concessions in favor of Spain, open borders and freedom of movement between Gibraltar and Spain, and twice per decade referendums on Gibraltar’s status overseen by election observers from both the UK and Spanish governments. In return, both sides would normalize relations and renounce any territorial claims over Gibraltar. The treaty, brokered by Norwegian diplomat Anders Behring Breivik [1], serves as a product of détente between the governments of the UK and Spain, and as an example of growing Norwegian diplomatic prowess. The treaty has been sharply denounced by Conservative MPs as a timid capitulation towards Spanish interests, whereas the general public appears to be more approving of its nature.

BBC News Segment, January 16, 2001

[1] Anders Behring Breivik is born like OTL. However, unlike OTL, Her Majesty’s Court places him in the custody of his father after the divorce of their parents, as her mother is deemed unfit to raise the child. Thus, instead of being an infamous mass-murdering white supremacist, he follows in his father’s footsteps and becomes a long-time ambassador of Norway to the UK.

Last edited:
Created some fanon about Anders Breivik. Curious about your thoughts, @gap80

TREATY ON GIBRALTAR SOVEREIGNITY SIGNED

Today, the Lennon ministry and the Kingdom of Spain signed a landmark treaty resolving the territorial status of Gibraltar. The treaty’s terms include dual citizenship for British citizens born in Gibraltar, small territorial concessions in favor of Spain, open borders and freedom of movement between Gibraltar and Spain, and twice per decade referendums on Gibraltar’s status overseen by election observers from both the UK and Spanish governments. In return, both sides would normalize relations and renounce any territorial claims over Gibraltar. The treaty, brokered by Norwegian diplomat Anders Behring Breivik [1], serves as a product of détente between the governments of the UK and Spain, and as an example of growing Norwegian diplomatic prowess. The treaty has been sharply denounced by Conservative MPs as a timid capitulation towards Spanish interests, whereas the general public appears to be more approving of its nature.

BBC News Segment, January 16, 2001

[1] Anders Behring Breivik is born like OTL. However, unlike OTL, Her Majesty’s Court places him in the custody of his father after the divorce of their parents, as her mother is deemed unfit to raise the child. Thus, instead of being an infamous mass-murdering white supremacist, he follows in his father’s footsteps and becomes a long-time ambassador of Norway to the UK.
Wonder how long those every half-decade referendums will last given like the Falklands every time it's brought up the people of said territory soundly reject it. I could honestly see the people of Gibraltar eventually going "fuck you" to this agreement and doing their own referendum to straight up join the UK.

Wonder how long those every half-decade referendums will last given like the Falklands every time it's brought up the people of said territory soundly reject it. I could honestly see the people of Gibraltar eventually going "fuck you" to this agreement and doing their own referendum to straight up join the UK.
It’s not a perfect arrangement, far from it, but the Spanish won’t shut up about Gibraltar otherwise. Lennon, being the peacenik he is, hopes the benefits from normalizing relations with Spain would offset the terms of the agreement. His approval ratings suggest otherwise.

Keep in mind, Lennon was an enthusiastic supporter of Irish reunification, and his peacenik tendencies wouldn’t moderate over time.

I should clarify it’s still a part of the UK as an autonomous territory. The biggest benefit the British get is the freedom of movement between the UK and Spain.

Last edited:
It’s not a perfect arrangement, far from it, but the Spanish won’t shut up about Gibraltar otherwise. Lennon, being the peacenik he is, hopes the benefits from normalizing relations with Spain would offset the terms of the agreement. His approval ratings suggest otherwise.

Keep in mind, Lennon was an enthusiastic supporter of Irish reunification, and his peacenik tendencies wouldn’t moderate over time.

I should clarify it’s still a part of the UK as an autonomous territory. The biggest benefit the British get is the freedom of movement between the UK and Spain.
Let them complain, the people of Gibraltar do not want to be a part of Spain. Those referendums are going to make that painfully clear. Hell if this is anything like the OTL referendum where the people of Gibraltar weren't even involved in the decision they'll probably do that "fuck you" option to fully join the UK on the first one.

Let them complain, the people of Gibraltar do not want to be a part of Spain. Those referendums are going to make that painfully clear. Hell if this is anything like the OTL referendum where the people of Gibraltar weren't even involved in the decision they'll probably do that "fuck you" option to fully join the UK on the first one.
Fair points, more on the fanon:

During the negotiations for the Treaty of Oslo, which normalized relations between Spain and the United Kingdom, the Spanish delegation asserted without evidence that the people of Gibraltar overwhelmingly wanted to rejoin their so-called brethren in Spain. That is why they insisted on having referendums supervised by election observers sent from the Spanish government. Out of a desire to make historical amends, the Lennon government largely agreed to the terms of the Spaniards, pushing against public backlash in the process.

The first referendum held in 2006. While 95 percent of the populace voted against unification with Spain, the low voter turnout of just 26 percent and unfounded allegations of voter fraud made the Spanish delegation demand a second referendum be held as soon as possible. Not wanting to risk compromising the status of their vacation homes in Córdoba, the Heseltine government agreed to hold a second referendum on Gibraltan sovereignty. This time around, a 2008 referendum saw 86 percent of the populace voted in favor of annexation with the UK with a turnout of 52 percent, with the increase in turnout due to angry voters wanting the Spanish government to stop complaining about the status of Gibraltar. The Spanish delegation was still unsatisfied, arguing that voter intimidation from pro-union activists caused the increase in turnout.

When UN election observers failed to substantiate Spanish allegations, the right-wing Acebes government threatened to renege the Treaty of Oslo entirely. However, this saber-rattling with the United Kingdom caused considerable controversy at home, as the PP's coalition partners threatened to withdraw from the government if PM Acebes continued compromising UK-Spanish relations any further. Facing the threat of a fallen government, Prime Minister Acebes relented, announcing that the Spanish government would no longer object to the results of the referendum. A second treaty signed with the UK under the Blanco government announced that Spain would drop any objections towards British control over Gibraltar, and relations between the two countries has only grown warmer since. While Spanish and British nationalists continue to complain about the status of Gibraltar online, the majority of the public in both countries sees the status of Gibraltar as a dead issue not worthy of risking economic and political ties over.

- Excerpt from "History of Gibraltar", uploaded to ourvids.co.can on August 18, 2012 (The video's comments section was locked soon after being uploaded due to fighting between Spanish and British nationalists)

@gap80 I apologise if this has already been answered before, and if this isn’t even a question I need to ask, but I presume that Colonel Sanders doesn’t denounce KFC later on in his life?

From Wikipedia: “In his later years, he became highly critical of the food served by KFC restaurants, as he believed they had cut costs and allowed quality to deteriorate.”
He doesn't.

Also, I'm thinking Eric Bauza could create a cartoon ITTL, since IOTL he was an animator before moving to voice acting. His studio could be called "Bauzilla Productions".

Random thought: Let's say for a second the movie Spaceballs still exists here (given that Star Wars itself does, there's a decent chance). Would there still be the joke of one character being called Colonel Sanders?

Random thought: Let's say for a second the movie Spaceballs still exists here (given that Star Wars itself does, there's a decent chance). Would there still be the joke of one character being called Colonel Sanders?
Spaceballs exists largely as like OTL (since Star Wars came out), so Colonel Sandurz still exists. Unlike OTL, it has two sequels which are criticized for not having the same spirit as the original.