May 1945, Quisling makes a run for it...

September 01, 1945 to September 21, 1945

Quisling in the American Sector,

Quisling allowed himself a moment of self congratulation on his survival instincts. He had requested a letter of introduction identifying himself as a skilled medical orderly from the head doctor at the camp in the British sector. This secured him a job assisting Sudentland expellees as well as housing – if you could call sharing a room, toilet and shower with several Sudenland families “housing”.

Quisling’s ironic “enemy”…

The biggest threat to Quisling was old fashioned German efficiency. Despite a ruined and occupied country, millions of refugees, the efficient Germans were steadily re-organizing at an alarming rate. For Quisling, this meant an increasing probability of registration, questions and an examination of his documents and life history as a claimed displaced Baltic German. In addition, to efficiency, Germans followed the rules. If the rules said refer suspicious people to authorities for “further examination”, most Germans were going to do just that – it did not matter whether the referring German was personally anti-fascist, pro-nazi or apolitical.

Quisling needed a new ally, and his work at the hospital (and access to medical supplies) put him in touch with somebody who knew somebody, who new somebody willing to help…

Col. Aaberg nets a lead….

Aaberg had enough. His men had identified Norwegian Traveler clans in several north German ports. All claimed to either have no idea where Quisling was, or to have exact knowledge of his location (always to be revealed “soon”) and also have an urgent need for cash in advance. This particular clan, however, was said to have real information.

With a command, the black market cargo of salted herring was confiscated. With another command, the lugers found on the boat were field stripped and tossed into the bay; they were then followed by a surprisingly sophisticated radio set and a handful of souvenir SS daggers. But, it was only after the Norwegian investigators, whose ranks included some former Commandos, handcuffed the crew (a process that involved a few bruises and an unfortunate “slip and fall” accident), and told them that the boat was to be impounded for smuggling, did the amazing transformation occur.

The Travelers suddenly remembered that they did speak standard Norwegian. After questioning, they also remembered that they once had a passenger who looked amazingly like Quisling. Aaberg’s men quickly separated the crew. Their stories were consistent. Col. Aaberg ordered the smuggled Herring as well as the cash and valuables collected as payment to be donated to the German Red Cross. The Travelers were then told to sail their boat back to Norway and stay there for a while.

Last edited:
Interesting developments. Who is Quisling's new contact and ehere will he be going next? The chase is on and perhaps we will see Quisling at the end of a rope.

This thread makes for an interesting read, I look forward to seeing how far Quisling manages to flee and how the good Colonel's investigation proceeds.

I see Colonel Aaberg and his men are finally getting to the limits of their tolerance regarding the bureaucratic nonsense.

Good.

He should probably keep a few of those ex-Commando types on hand for when he finally locates Quisling and needs to go and get him.

^ All, thanks for the continued interest

September 25, 1945

An oppurtunistic member of the allies in Germany…

Major Winford of Virginia studied his gleaming cavalry insignia. It is said that success is a matter of timing and Winford, who had political ambitions, applied that diligently: His volunteering for the military just ahead of selection by the draft board was good. His request for transfer from the Signal Corps to a combat position in the Armored Cavalry (Virginia was the home of JEB Stuart) in late January 1945 just after Tigers, Panthers and Elephants were nearly extinct species was masterful.

Winford then saw the time was right for economic and social opportunities in occupied Germany (the No Fraternization, at least for Commissioned Officers, was quickly ignored). In fact, Winford had been “Blitzing” Ingrid, his translator, for months now. The talented Ingrid also facilitated his side business of issuing Displaced Person registrations in exchange for anything that was portable and valuable.

A meeting with Quisling, a new identity, and a promise of a long term alliance….
The process took five minutes. Guided by Ingrid whom he had been referred to by hospital contacts, Quisling was ushered into Winford's office after hours. Blood type tattoo on arm? – nope. Cash? – yes. Quisling’s Baltic German identity then took a subtle twist to: “ Ansis "Hans" Gruber a displaced anti-communist Latvian of German descent”. Quisling's newly issued displaced person documents enabled him to draw U.S. rations, obtain housing and most importantly, gave any U.S. patrols the impression that he had been rigorously screened.

Winford’s pulse quickened when the grateful Quisling promised to refer any and all future business contacts from his hospital work to him. Smiling, Winford nodded in agreement and then turned to planning an entire Blitzkrieg campaign with uhmm… multiple targets.

Last edited:
Given what happened to DPs, if Quisling has the identity of a displaced Soviet citizen, odds are good he might be repatriated to the USSR against his will and end up in a gulag if not shot.

Given what happened to DPs, if Quisling has the identity of a displaced Soviet citizen, odds are good he might be repatriated to the USSR against his will and end up in a gulag if not shot.

A good point, but the zeal in which the Allies repatriated Soviet citizens was mainly limited to those caught in wermacht / SS uniforms and forced workers (some, or perhaps, many of the forced workers genuinely wanted to return home). Once the initial repatriation campaign ended and the cold war crept in, Balts in general and anti communist Balts in particular, were seen as "sexy".

A good point, but the zeal in which the Allies repatriated Soviet citizens was mainly limited to those caught in wermacht / SS uniforms and forced workers (some, or perhaps, many of the forced workers genuinely wanted to return home). Once the initial repatriation campaign ended and the cold war crept in, Balts in general and anti communist Balts in particular, were seen as "sexy".

It's true that there was a big focus on those who'd actively helped the Nazis, and that those who were lucky enough not to be deported were safe and "sexy" once the Cold War began. However, these facts didn't save everyone. Plenty of non-combatants, even some who'd been living in Western Europe for years before the war, got returned to face the non-existent mercy of the Soviet Union.

Cryptic;8302749[SIZE=3 said:
In fact, Winford had been “Blitzing” Ingrid..[/SIZE].

Smiling, Winford nodded in agreement and then turned to planning an entire Blitzkrieg campaign with uhmm… multiple targets.

I laughed at this. I've been enjoying this so far, but this I downright laughed at.

I wonder if the Captain wanted his blitzing with multible targets at the same time or a series of single encounters? ;)

Shame that opportunistic cretins like Winford were to be found in every army and both sides. Many a criminal and murderer got away from justice because of them. :(

I wonder if the Captain wanted his blitzing with multible targets at the same time or a series of single encounters? ;)

Shame that opportunistic cretins like Winford were to be found in every army and both sides. Many a criminal and murderer got away from justice because of them. :(

This is the second time the seedier side of the Western Allies' "Good War" has featured as a plot element; of course we also had the commentary on the deterioration of the Canadian battalion, which explained why Quisling slipped past their screening.

Now I'm wondering if Quisling knows anything useful from the point of view of the anticommunist crusade. He'd have to hold out, staying hidden, for some years, but if he can delay capture to 1947, maybe even late in '46, he might find American patrons willing to give him amnesty--or anyway, keep him hidden if that's too difficult--in return for his assistance in tracking or otherwise disrupting Communist agents.

I doubt he really does know much in that regard, certainly not enough to seriously justify giving him cover, but maybe he can fake it convincingly, and/or gain friends who will help him. :rolleyes:

This is the second time the seedier side of the Western Allies' "Good War" has featured as a plot element; of course we also had the commentary on the deterioration of the Canadian battalion, which explained why Quisling slipped past their screening.

Now I'm wondering if Quisling knows anything useful from the point of view of the anticommunist crusade. He'd have to hold out, staying hidden, for some years, but if he can delay capture to 1947, maybe even late in '46, he might find American patrons willing to give him amnesty--or anyway, keep him hidden if that's too difficult--in return for his assistance in tracking or otherwise disrupting Communist agents.

I doubt he really does know much in that regard, certainly not enough to seriously justify giving him cover, but maybe he can fake it convincingly, and/or gain friends who will help him. :rolleyes:

IDK. Maybe there are people who THINK they can pull this off with Quisling, but like the Nazis who committed the massacres of British POWs in "The Great Escape", if you're hot enough, even the protection of corrupt military intelligence officers and the FBI won't be enough to save you. In the end, Quisling will always have the whole nation of Norway looking to see him do the Necktie Dance.:mad:

Though Captain Winford is seedy, I dont think the "seedy" adjective applies to the Canadian Batalion. Rather, the Canadian batalion was a victim of the Canadian governmental policy of de facto "no concription" for over seas positions - especially combat positions.

In OTL, the WWII U.S. Marines and the Waffen SS (no comparison between the two) both started out as all volunteer. As the war progressed, both needed to replenish with conscription - usually selected conscripts, but still conscripts.

The Canadians had the same need, but not the same ability. The impact was especially felt in Canadian infantry batalions who had run out of infantrymen and were unable to supplement a declining number of volunteers, including a certain number of dubious closing stages "volunteers" with high quality conscripts. To quote one Canadian veteran who returned to his infantry batalion months after being wounded: "the batalion I returned to in 1945 was simply not the same batalion that I had left".

I have heard similiar stories like this on some American units. Replenishments to cover casualties diluted the unit core ideal and led to less than stellar performance.:(

I have heard similiar stories like this on some American units. Replenishments to cover casualties diluted the unit core ideal and led to less than stellar performance.:(

Yes, that is true. Though the United States had conscription, and elite units had access to select conscripts, the United States also had the horrible Replacement Depot or "Repple Depple" system.

U.S. Divisions in Europe were never rotated out of combat for rest periods. Rather, the Divisions remained in action constantly and a steady stream of individual replacements were brought to the division on a daily basis. The new men had no time to bond with each other, or with with the by now burned out experienced men. This led to a vastly higher casualty rate for replacements which led to the need for more replacements from the "depots" -who then quickly became casualties which led to another call for replacements... .

In contrast, the Germans and British used rotation systems where divisions moved back to rest and accept replacements who were assigned as a bonded group, not as individuals. These men then bonded with experienced men in the division for a period of time before being moved to the front as a unit. U.S. observers in British units during the Battle of the Bulge noticed that British "ordinary Joe" line infantry units had noticably fewer incidents of desertion, self inflicted wounds, malingering and deliberatly caught illnesses than their U.S. equivelants. That led to the U.S. attempting to copy some aspects of the world famous British Regimental System after the war.

Last edited:
In OTL, the WWII U.S. Marines and the Waffen SS (no comparison between the two) both started out as all volunteer. As the war progressed, both needed to replenish with conscription - usually selected conscripts, but still conscripts.

My dad told me a tale of his induction day during the Vietnam War. Before his rapid 4-F status was determined, he saw a group of US Marine noncoms walk into the induction center. They quickly walked their way through the building, picking various candidates (the biggest:rolleyes:), and said to the Army NCOs: "We'll take these!" No questions were asked. They just went.

My dad told me a tale of his induction day during the Vietnam War. Before his rapid 4-F status was determined, he saw a group of US Marine noncoms walk into the induction center. They quickly walked their way through the building, picking various candidates (the biggest:rolleyes:), and said to the Army NCOs: "We'll take these!" No questions were asked. They just went.

Well I can just imagine some Army guy TRYING to argue with that choice. Guess the MP's would be called and the men would STILL go to the Marines. :eek:

Well I can just imagine some Army guy TRYING to argue with that choice. Guess the MP's would be called and the men would STILL go to the Marines. :eek:

Marines aren't invincible, but they do have a reputation and a public image they have to uphold. They consider themselves a relatively small, highly elite fighting unit. They have a certain kind of mission, and to their eyes, that means they have a right to ask for, and get, a certain quality of resources and recruits.

Back to the story, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Marines aren't invincible, but they do have a reputation and a public image they have to uphold. They consider themselves a relatively small, highly elite fighting unit. They have a certain kind of mission, and to their eyes, that means they have a right to ask for, and get, a certain quality of resources and recruits.

Back to the story, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Not arguing with you. Many a Marine is one of the most decent, honorable, and kindhearted man outside of combat. In it they kick ass and ask questions later.

I agree we have moved off the main thread. Wonder where Quisling will worm his way to from here.

Dementor

Banned
Doesn't Quisling pretending to be Latvian run the risk of meeting real Latvians and being immediately exposed due to him not knowing the Latvian language? There were many Latvian refugees in Germany at the time, after all.