Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

I would like to see how the European's reaction to the Iberian-Japanese war along with how the Dutch are doing back at Europe while fighting against the Iberians.

Also happy New Year!

So far I've read your TL. As a Japanese who is interested in alternate history, I was very entertained by it. I can't wait to see how this world evolves.
It is written in a interesting way, but I still see that you done tons of research, especially regarding names of Japanese historic and original figures. I hope you will keep working on this great TL!
明けましておめでとう!!(Happy New Year!)

So far I've read your TL. As a Japanese who is interested in alternate history, I was very entertained by it. I can't wait to see how this world evolves.
It is written in a interesting way, but I still see that you done tons of research, especially regarding names of Japanese historic and original figures. I hope you will keep working on this great TL!
Tbf what would a Japanese Alaska be called in your opinion?

I was thinking of '北海越地' as a short form of 'lands beyond the north sea' in Japanese but I know nothing of Japanese grammar sooo. Also what do you guys call Kamchatka? Is it just a translation?

Can you make update on religious makeup of japan? I loved to explanation of Christianity in japan. Can you expand on buddhism as well?
There will be a comprehensive culture and society of early 17th century Japan chapter where religion will be covered pretty soon.
I would like to see how the European's reaction to the Iberian-Japanese war along with how the Dutch are doing back at Europe while fighting against the Iberians.

Also happy New Year!
Next chapter and thank you!!
Yoooooo I'm also Japanese (I live in the US but have dual citizenship).

I was thinking of '北海越地' as a short form of 'lands beyond the north sea' in Japanese but I know nothing of Japanese grammar sooo. Also what do you guys call Kamchatka? Is it just a translation?
Kamuchaka or Kamuchatsuka is Kamchatka in Japanese. If Japan were to expand into Alaska (which has not been decided), any name goes, like something based off a native word or a European descriptor or something completely different. Bireitou is for example the Japanese translation of Formosa but sounds neither like Formosa or Taiwan.

Kamuchaka or Kamuchatsuka is Kamchatka in Japanese. If Japan were to expand into Alaska (which has not been decided), any name goes, like something based off a native word or a European descriptor or something completely different. Bireitou is for example the Japanese translation of Formosa but sounds neither like Formosa or Taiwan.
its that kamchatka could be a word from mainland kamchatka when I think kamchatka should have a Ainu word.
Yoooooo I'm also Japanese (I live in the US but have dual citizenship).
ah I see that does make sense your Japanese seems to be good. I'm Chinese so I unga bunga it lmao. It's really funny when I tell ppl that kanji's the last thing I have to learn in Japanese tho lol especially when I talk to westerners.

its that kamchatka could be a word from mainland kamchatka when I think kamchatka should have a Ainu word.
When Tokugawa Shogunate ordered Matsumae Han to create map of Hokkaido to Kamchatka in 1700s, they named that place as Kamchatka (written like 勘察加, so ITTL you may read like kamusatsuka). And Ainu people lived and traded in Kamchatka even before than 1700s. So it's not impossible that ITTL Japan still uses the same name, maybe coming from Ainu word.
When Japanese expanded into Hokkaido, sometimes they used word came from Ainu language(e.g. Sapporo is named after sat poro pet, which means "dry wide river" in Ainu). So Alaska can still called more or less similar.

Do y'all think that it is likely that the Japanese will develop the /l/ sound for some of its words due to the influx of Chinese and Southeast Asian populations? And if yes, what words would likely develop it?

When Tokugawa Shogunate ordered Matsumae Han to create map of Hokkaido to Kamchatka in 1700s, they named that place as Kamchatka (written like 勘察加, so ITTL you may read like kamusatsuka). And Ainu people lived and traded in Kamchatka even before than 1700s. So it's not impossible that ITTL Japan still uses the same name, maybe coming from Ainu word.

When Japanese expanded into Hokkaido, sometimes they used word came from Ainu language(e.g. Sapporo is named after sat poro pet, which means "dry wide river" in Ainu). So Alaska can still called more or less similar.
Kamusatsuka and Arasuka sound cool.

tmKAXe5.png

What do you all think? Using Mapchart for this.

Last edited:
With the exception of holding the russian far east, this looks feaseable for both powers.
There’s no reason why Japan can’t hold the Russian Far East. Maybe not as far inland as I had them go but frankly I would be Ron Japan getting it over Russia. The distances are jaut too insane for Russia.

I'd like for Japan to hold Outer Manchuria and maybe Kamchatka but for Russia to still have a Pacific coastline further north. I don't see why Japan would want to settle in Okhotsk, for example, maybe the fur trade.

By the time Oda Nobunaga ascended, the Russians were already actively exploring Siberia.
Exploring does not equal your ability to hold it. If Japan actually desires to, they can conquer it from Russia.

I'd like for Japan to hold Outer Manchuria and maybe Kamchatka but for Russia to still have a Pacific coastline further north. I don't see why Japan would want to settle in Okhotsk, for example, maybe the fur trade.
I can see Russia maybe having north of Kamchatka but like Japan is probably going to end up with the Kamchatka to Manchuria region IMO. The Sea of Okhotsk is in their SOI if they take Sakhalin and Kamchatka.

When the Japanese meet the Russians, there will be talk of what to do about it. I would bet good money that there will be a faction who will argue on taking every bit of the Siberian coastline simply for security.

Ahh that makes sense. It's that there's no source on what the Japanese cashed Kamchatka ok cursory searches in English.
So Arasuka/Arasuha it is?
Kamusatsuka and Arasuka sound cool.

tmKAXe5.png

What do you all think? Using Mapchart for this.
Tbf I feel Japan is too far inland, a vassal state would serve Japanese interests better than direct control.
When the Japanese meet the Russians, there will be talk of what to do about it. I would bet good money that there will be a faction who will argue on taking every bit of the Siberian coastline simply for security.
Yeah exactly. Japan would want primacy over the oceans they control. They'd do a lot to prevent the Pacific fleet from ever existing.

evjse7U.png

How's this? Complete Japanese rule of the Siberian coast and the Sea of Okhotsk but they don't go too far inland from there. The part in Amur and Manchuria sticking inward is due to Mapchart limitations and could be ignored if implausible.

evjse7U.png

How's this? Complete Japanese rule of the Siberian coast and the Sea of Okhotsk but they don't go too far inland from there. The part in Amur and Manchuria sticking inward is due to Mapchart limitations and could be ignored if implausible.
I like this quite a lot! I do think Japan would not control all of Borneo but go for Singapore and Johore to control the trade route there. But controlling all of Borneo isn't impossible too so...

I like this quite a lot! I do think Japan would not control all of Borneo but go for Singapore and Johore to control the trade route there. But controlling all of Borneo isn't impossible too so...
It’s a bit hard to see but Singapore is coloured in as Japanese here

Borneo is a fair size. Controlling all of it will be hard. But there is no reason why Japan wouldn't control all of the coastline.