Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
To quote the William and Mary Law review, thanks @Indicus
IMG_2241.png

Is such a federal republic plausible?

To quote the William and Mary Law review, thanks @Indicus
View attachment 905511
Is such a federal republic plausible?
I suspect there would be a lot of bickering about the exact borders of the states which I assume would be on ethnic lines, probably a few ethnic cleansings on that basis, and the federal government would end up a dead letter with the several states formally declaring their independence. Things were, I think, too far gone by 1919 to even temporarily implement such a thing.

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
I suspect there would be a lot of bickering about the exact borders of the states which I assume would be on ethnic lines, probably a few ethnic cleansings on that basis, and the federal government would end up a dead letter with the several states formally declaring their independence. Things were, I think, too far gone by 1919 to even temporarily implement such a thing.
Yeah, ethnic cleansing was already normalized during the war. Maybe the Ottoman Liberal Party wins an early election somehow and promotes autonomy, and the Empire undergoes a revolution to become a republic later or the monarchy is displaced

I don’t see the Armenians or Lebanon being happy and this sounds like recipe for Islamism so expect a lot of Christians being removed.

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Could a pre-WW1 POD result in such a framework being implemented eventually, if the Empire ends up on the losing side of a *WW2-equivalent?
As of OTL 1939 per Wiki the following population figures
Turkey17 millions
Jordan900,000
Syria2 millions
Iraq3 millions
British Palestine1.4 millions
Saudi Arabia3 millions
Cyprus393,000

Basically Turks would still be in a slight plurality

Last edited: