"The Caesariad"

MrP

Banned
An intriguing beginning, old boy! I shall follow with interest. One of my old lecturers was besotted with Dryden's translation of the Aeneid. It quite takes me back. :)

Speaking of the Caesar's son with Cleopatra. In doing some research I found some not so accurate information on how he survived in OTL. Went to India and actually became who we know as Jesus. Just thought I would bring that up thought it was funny. Just the whole my mother was a virgin, my father was a god, the J.C. coincidence, and some other things. Lol. I wonder if it was true :p

This TL excites me so much that I've had to briefly cease my lurking!

I tried to do a similar TL a couple years back (even with the McCullough characterizations in mind), but I just didn't have the time or drive to keep it going. Good luck! I eagerly await further updates.

MrP

Banned
Speaking of the Caesar's son with Cleopatra. In doing some research I found some not so accurate information on how he survived in OTL. Went to India and actually became who we know as Jesus. Just thought I would bring that up thought it was funny. Just the whole my mother was a virgin, my father was a god, the J.C. coincidence, and some other things. Lol. I wonder if it was true :p

I wouldn't think so. However, if you're into mad theories, check out the New Chronology. It's totally bonkers and very entertaining.

Wow. A son, really???? That's a rather interesting twist. Like!!!!!

Also, Colleen McCullough??? Really, that Master of Rome author. Hmmm, shall need to do more depth research.

If you want to borrow ideas from Colleen McCullough, she had Caesar knocking up some Gallic woman. She got murdered and the ones who did it were intent that Caesar's son be raised a slave, as an insult to his father.

I suggested that possibility in my classics class at UGA and my professor--who obviously read the same book--said Colleen McCullough was not a historian.

Now, I think there *was* a Gallic revolt sometime later led by a man who claimed to be Caesar's son, but there's claiming to be someone's son and then there's being someone's son.

we must see before if Caesar will go on Egypt this time; for now, it seemed that early conquest of Britannia ( or at least part of it) could be a possibility...

I do love the Masters of Rome series, just fantastic. I've often thought about PODs for this era but never this one but now you mention it wow. The survival of a son is going to really change things, though remember Quintus is still the third son so not the heir to Pompey's fortune and clients.

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Gotta be Octavian.

EdT's MO is to take the Great Men of his particular period, add those who were nearly so, put them in interesting situations, and let events play out. He'd hardly pass up a character like Octavian - what would he even have left to write about?

we must see before if Caesar will go on Egypt this time; for now, it seemed that early conquest of Britannia ( or at least part of it) could be a possibility...

RyuDrago

I don't think so. Sounds like he's withdrawing even quicker than OTL so he can get back to Rome. Presuming that Crassus still comes to a sticky end in the east I think it's far more likely that he will be looking east for much greater glory and wealth. [Unless Pompey gets a command in the east, where he has a lot of experience and prestige and he is still the more prominent character in the alliance]. Coupled with probably a prolonged three sided civil war after a later death for Caesar it could be that even if a unified empire emerges Britain will be left alone at least as long as OTL.

On going east Egypt will get roped in at some point and Cleopatra is a crafty character who will seek to maintain her power but at this point she's still a few years from power, being aged 14 and with her father on the throne. It's possible that she will get largely bypassed, although such a prominent figure OTL is likely too attractive for EdT to ignore.

Steve

You said you'd translate all the expletives!

I’ve kept the majority of swearing in the original Latin, rather than to attempt to translate.

;)

Very interesting. Since OTL Julia's death enabled the break between Caesar and Pompey I would have thought that would have weakened Caesar's position rather than strengthened it. Although since the surviving son may maintain the links between the two longer.

Well it's no secret to say that I'm going with no Pompeian Civil War here, so that's my main objective. As the next part jumps forward 16 years there have certainly been quite a few changes, although I don't want to go into them now and I won't add a huge amount of detail about the intervening period. Suffice to say that ITTL Caesar goes East and Pompey is left to hold the fort in Rome; that way the former gets his military glory and Pompey gets to be First Man while he's away.

The other question, if the period of the final republican civil wars is delayed a bit is what happens with the Parthians? You have already had Rome, under the proconsul of Syria Gabinius intervene unsuccessfully in a civil war in Parthia and barring quick and major butterflies we are likely to see Crassus's intervention and given the terrain quick possibly a similar result to OTL Carrhae. If so there will be a big demand for revenge in Rome and could see either Caesar or Pompey in charge of the army sent to avenge their colleague and regain the standards. If there is no civil war to stop this then thing could get very messy in the east.

Ah, well the Parthians feature in the first chapter actually, so the answer to that will be plain reasonably soon. As you say, there is definitely appetite to get vengeance for Crassus, and Caesar rather liked the idea of campaigning in the region IOTL but never had the chance.

An intriguing beginning, old boy! I shall follow with interest. One of my old lecturers was besotted with Dryden's translation of the Aeneid. It quite takes me back. :)

It does feel rather old-fashioned compared to the more modern translations, but I rather like how it preserves the poetic nature of the thing. Plus, it has that epic feel.

Ha, I haven't come across that one- Caesarion would be a little old by then, wouldn't he? Mind you, I suspect the passage of time is probably not the most pressing plausibility issue there...

If you want to borrow ideas from Colleen McCullough, she had Caesar knocking up some Gallic woman. She got murdered and the ones who did it were intent that Caesar's son be raised a slave, as an insult to his father.

Yes, I remember that bit. Seems plausible enough to me; armies on campaign always lead to lots of babies. On the same theme, I rather liked the bit in the same book where Caesar meets up with a big red-head German who looks just like Sulla, and realises that he must have fathered children when off spying on the Germans for Marius at the time of the Cimbric War.

I do love the Masters of Rome series, just fantastic. I've often thought about PODs for this era but never this one but now you mention it wow. The survival of a son is going to really change things, though remember Quintus is still the third son so not the heir to Pompey's fortune and clients.

It's a real favourite of mine too- have you read her take on the Trojan War? Truly fantastic stuff. As for young Quintus, you're quite right- initially at least, Gnaeus the Younger will be leading any post-Magnus Pompeian faction. He's a talented lad though and the bodycount will be racking up quite quickly, so it's quite possible that he unexpectedly finds himself as Paterfamilias somewhere down the line.

If there are going to be three successors and one is the grandson via Julia and Pompey I'm not sure what Octavian's position would be as he may be frozen out totally. Although he could sneak in as a family member in a junior role who manages to accumulate power. Not sure who the 3rd would be unless Caesar does met up with Cleo, despite the butterflies.

Hrm. So that's one descendant. Cleopatra could give us another... And Octavian, surely?

Gotta be Octavian.

Octavian will certainly feature- he's one of my favourite historical figures so I couldn't leave him out. Plus, he's just the sort to weasel his way into contention somehow.

As for other 'descendants', quite apart from the issue of who he adopts as Heir in his will, it's worth considering that Caesar was rumoured to be the true father of a number of Romans- and was related to quite a few others who might want to emphasise the family connection. Mark Anthony comes to mind, for example.

It's also worth mentioning the idea that the Caesariad could well be an epic tragedy. Maybe the Heirs of Caesar fight amongst themselves, destroy each other and let somebody else come through the middle?

Last edited:
Sorry, you must have posted this as I was writing my own reply.

Coupled with probably a prolonged three sided civil war after a later death for Caesar it could be that even if a unified empire emerges Britain will be left alone at least as long as OTL.

All true, although if there are lots of ambitious Generals running around the place the conquest of Britannia- something that not even Caesar achieved- might be an attractive thing to attempt for prestige purposes.

On going east Egypt will get roped in at some point and Cleopatra is a crafty character who will seek to maintain her power but at this point she's still a few years from power, being aged 14 and with her father on the throne. It's possible that she will get largely bypassed, although such a prominent figure OTL is likely too attractive for EdT to ignore.

Cleopatra will definitely make an appearance, although it may not be a huge role- as you say, she's a difficult figure to resist including.

;)
Octavian will certainly feature- he's one of my favourite historical figures so I couldn't leave him out. Plus, he's just the sort to weasel his way into contention somehow.

So if he can find an Agrippa to provide military leadership he could well be one of the contenders. Fully agree with him being able to work his way into contention if he's near enough when Julius finally pops his clogs.

As for other 'descendants', quite apart from the issue of who he adopts as Heir in his will, it's worth considering that Caesar was rumoured to be the true father of a number of Romans- and was related to quite a few others who might want to emphasise the family connection. Mark Anthony comes to mind, for example.

I was taking it as the three had actual blood links but then, as OTL Anthony managed to get into the power struggle pretty effectively.

In terms of other rumoured 'sons' of Julius then one who might be prominent would be Brutus, especially since without the assassination he will have at least some support from the Julian camp.

It's also worth mentioning the idea that the Caesariad could well be an epic tragedy. Maybe the Heirs of Caesar fight amongst themselves, destroy each other and let somebody else come through the middle?

Quite possibly. Or simply smash the empire up so much that various areas manage to break away permanently. An earlier departure from Gaul and 'successful' campaign in Parthia could leave parts of both states in unstable grip and escaping. It might just be the chance for some Greek revivals as well so you never get a lasting unified state. Rome goes down as a new Macedonia that seems to grab universal power then come tumbling down. [Although it does potentially have a more secure base that the rather unstable Macedonian dynasty].

Steve

So if he can find an Agrippa to provide military leadership he could well be one of the contenders. Fully agree with him being able to work his way into contention if he's near enough when Julius finally pops his clogs.

Yes, he'll need a military helper if he's to get anywhere- which may well be his downfall, of course.

In terms of other rumoured 'sons' of Julius then one who might be prominent would be Brutus, especially since without the assassination he will have at least some support from the Julian camp.

Interestingly, both Marcus and Decimus Brutus were rumoured to be Caesar's sons at one point or other, so that adds another two, amongst others. And there's nothing stopping claimants from making some scurrilous rumour up about their own parantage, if they think it affords them extra legitmacy...

Quite possibly. Or simply smash the empire up so much that various areas manage to break away permanently. An earlier departure from Gaul and 'successful' campaign in Parthia could leave parts of both states in unstable grip and escaping. It might just be the chance for some Greek revivals as well so you never get a lasting unified state. Rome goes down as a new Macedonia that seems to grab universal power then come tumbling down. [Although it does potentially have a more secure base that the rather unstable Macedonian dynasty].

Interesting idea that...

Oh, and as it's Wednesday afternoon and the goal is one chapter a week (though we'll see how that goes...), I think it's time for the first Chapter!