How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stalin’s goals were becoming disturbingly clear to Churchill. Now that the survival of the U.S.S.R. was no longer at stake he hoped to gain political control of the nations bordering the Soviet Union as a future buffer. A shattered Germany would be in a perfect position for the Soviet dictator to sweep up the remains. Then the West would be dealing with a hostile surviving German population on their front doorstep who would be told how it was the West after all who had used biological warfare and nearly wiped out the German people. It would be a variation of the “stab-in-the-back,” mythology that had helped Hitler to come to power in the 30’s, and Churchill had not a doubt in his mind that the German people, hungry and humiliated would buy it.

Very good reasoning and Churchill was far more worried about Stalin than Roosevelt was.

Garrison

Donor
A few thoughts...

Hitler will likely attack London/Paris/Stockholm and other cities in range with A4b's, with no warning the death toll will be high.

Along with key military points, especially Sweden's military forces attacking German army in Norway, not many will be needed?

I would assume a 'normal' A4 can be converted to A4b standard, as their would be quite a few thousand of those around, at what rate they could be converted I do not know, but as a starting point one or two every 24-hours seems sound, now that they work after a hurried development?

Me-262 attacks will continue against allied bombers, with only the best pilots flying these fighters the results will be impressive, but will the WAllies ability to replace these losses it will not affect the outcome. With Me-262 production already dispersed WAllies air attacks against Me-262 production facilities will do nothing, in OTL these Me-262 production facilities where only found when they were overrun by allied ground troops.

Fuel production, with the bulk of the remaining fuel production (do not know how much this would be) going to the defence of Germany, mostly for tank fuel and and the easier to produce J2 jet fuel, Germany front line units will have some fuel but not much.

With the restrictions on fuel German piston engine aircraft will be unable to fly, thus creating a glut of expert pilots for jet operations, like Erich Hartmann etc?

The Allies will adopt the tactics they did OTL; go after the jets during take off and landing when they're at their most vulnerable.

If they can find the dispersed airfields then yes, assuming the airfield that they take off from is the one that they land on?
Not hard - according to Johnnie Johnson's book, they were very easy to find by photo-recon due to the scorch marks on the ground. IIRC they also needed significantly longer runways due to the low static thrust compared to a piston engine. Combine the two and dispersal will be ineffective - they'll go for what they did OTL and mass huge amounts of light flak to protect jets arriving and leaving.

Archibald

Banned
XP-80A Gray Ghost

The Shooting Star development was rushed as fast as possible, and beyond, with disastrous results. Milo Burcham and Dick Bong were killed, Tony Levier lost its tail(!) - courtesy of a disintegrating turbojet turbine - and was badly hurt.

From Wikipedia

Four were sent to Europe for operational testing (demonstration, familiarization and possible interception roles), two to England and two to the 1st Fighter Group at Lesina Airfield, Italy, but when test pilot Major Frederic Borsodi was killed in a crash caused by an engine fire on 28 January 1945,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-80_Shooting_Star#cite_note-6 demonstrating YP-80A 44-83026 at RAF Burtonwood, the YP-80A was temporarily grounded.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...ite_note-renamed_from_456_on_20110805200921-7
Between January and March of 1945, however, two American pre-production Lockheed YP-80A Shooting Star fighter jets did see limited service in Italy with the USAAF, possibly tasked with intercepting German Arado Ar 234 reconnaissance jet aircraft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-80_Shooting_Star#cite_note-8 Because of delays in delivery of production aircraft, the Shooting Star saw no actual combat during the conflict.

While there are more meteors, I think the Me 262 will have the edge in maneuverability and speed. If the Vampire can get into service fast enough then that could do well.

The overwhelming numerical advantage of the Allies in conventional piston-engined fighters is a far more important factor than whether or not relatively small numbers of the Meteor, Vampire, or P-80 are put into the mix. The Me-262's performance advantage over Tempests, P-47s, and P-51 was great, but not that great. Plenty were shot down OTL. The air would be full of allied fighters looking intercept the few German jet fighter-bombers and interceptors over their bases, en route, and as they manuevered for landings. The few that got thru to deliver bombs or shoot down allied bombers would be quickly eliminated. The Luftwaffe completely shot its wad and (except for V-2s, V-1s, and Flak batteries) is finished in this TL as a significant threat to allied aerial supremacy.

I love how this TL is slowly descending into Ango-American Nazi War territory.

I suspect that by the end of the war Berlin will be a disease ridden chemically contaminated radioactive wasteland?
lol, didn't the last string of updates confirm that anthrax wasn't an option?

Archibald

Banned
The issue with MOOSE is that, well, Hitler might make it to Antwerp alive, since he was protected by the devil (his father ?)

Geon

Donor
Truman and Roosevelt

Two things, from now on the updates may not follow a day by day format. This present one skips ahead a few days. Secondly, this is a short update but one I have been building towards for a while.

Geon
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 20, 1945
Time: 11:00 a.m.

At precisely 11 a.m. in a small room in the Capitol building surrounded by well wishers and leaders from Congress the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court swore Harry S. Truman in as the 34th Vice-President of the United States. At the same time across town at Walter Reed Medical Center another Justice of the Supreme Court was swearing in the President for his fourth term of office.

Only the congressional leaders, the Vice President, the Cabinet, and the President knew that this would be the shortest term for a President on record. Franklin D. Roosevelt’s fourth term would only last for another 24 hours, long enough for him to compose his resignation letter and ensure it was received by the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate. At precisely 11 a.m. tomorrow morning Harry S. Truman would be sworn in again in the Oval Office as President of the United States.

Date: January 22, 1945
Time: The evening hours

Former President Franklin D. Roosevelt lay quietly in his room drifting off to sleep after a very busy day. Franklin’s official announcement to the press of his resignation the previous day had come as no surprise to the Washington establishment. It had however surprised several members of the Press. Unofficially ever since FDR’s stroke there had been speculation that FDR would not be able to complete a fourth term given his illness. Now, sooner then many had expected, FDR had announced his resignation for health reasons. The press had gone wild! Reporters had stormed Walter Reed hospital in an invasion worthy of the Normandy landings! A full squad of Secret Service, and very burly MPs had been needed to keep them off of the President’s floor. Finally after one reporter had gotten an “inadvertent” black eye from one of the MPs the mob had calmed and was willing to take the prepared statement which Eleanor Roosevelt had read to them.

Given my continued debilitation because of this stroke I have found it necessary to ask to be relieved of my duties and responsibilities as President of the United States. I am grateful beyond words to the American people for their past support during the 12 years I have been privileged to serve this great nation. I ask for your prayers now for my successor, Harry Truman as he assumes the office of President and express my full confidence in his abilities to lead this nation through the remainder of this war and to lead it into a peaceful tomorrow.

After the statement was read Mrs. Roosevelt had gone upstairs to join the Congressional leadership and the new President at Franklin’s side. The Congressional leadership had bid its final farewells to the President with a touch of sadness. They had often been at odds over the years but what the President had done now was seen as best for the country and everyone, himself included.

Now it was late and Franklin had finally fallen asleep after a long day. Once again he dreamed. Once again the dream of the past few weeks began again. Once again Franklin was sailing off of Campobello Island. A warm breeze was blowing in off of the Carolina coast. Franklin was in his sailboat moving it toward the dock on shore. On shore he could make out two figures now very clearly. One was his mother. In previous dreams she had appeared obscured by haze. Now Franklin saw her clearly and she looked as she had those many years ago when she had joined them for their summer vacations here on Campobello Island. And there was one other beside him. It was Teddy, his cousin Teddy wearing summer clothing and smiling with that incredible bright smile of his!

Now his boat was at the shore and he was starting to tie it up at the dock with his cousin helping him. His mother spoke to him. Come along now Franklin its time for lunch and everyone’s waiting for you. Franklin nodded. Everyone meant family and friends that had gone on over the past several years, his mother included. Later you and I will take her out again youngster, his cousin declared referring to the sailboat. We have a lot of things to talk about and now we’ve got all the time to talk about them! Franklin felt a lump in his throat and started to ask a question of his cousin. “I tried to do right by everyone…” he began. He was cut off by his cousin Teddy Roosevelt once again, you did what you could and you stood by every decision you made right or wrong. Whatever else you stood by your principles. I may not have agreed with everything you did Franklin but damn it man you stood up for what you believe and that is something I have always admired in people.

Franklin climbed out of his sailboat and noted for the first time his legs were working again as they had those many years ago. And his left side was not paralyzed anymore by the stroke of a few weeks ago. He felt like a young man again. His mother looked so much as he remembered her as a young woman and Teddy was the robust young man he had admired. Come on now youngster, let’s get this party started, Teddy said as he put his arms around Franklin.

The night nurse come in to check on Franklin later would discover that he had passed on a smile on his face. Franklin D. Roosevelt had finally returned home.

Last edited:
I wonder if the reaction from Dublin will be the same as it was in OTL. As I recall, the Irish released a statement consoling the Germans on their loss when Adolf blew his brains out but said not word one when FDR passed away. I wonder how THAT will affect relations with Ireland after this war is over with.

A sad but well written end for FDR; and at least he had a chance to mend some fences ITTL.

Indeed. This is truly a case of "it's an ill wind that blows none any good". By one of these strange chances of history, if it hadn't been for the malice of the Japanese militarists, FDR would never have had the chance to reconcile with Eleanor, nor to be able to properly prepare Harry S. Truman for the burdens of his office. He died well, at peace. Godspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.