“De Condado a Império” the Unabridged History of the Portuguese

Lusitania

Donor
De Condado a Império”
the Unabridged History of the Portuguese

2nd Condado de Portucalense I (1095 – 1139)

0condedhenriquedeborgon.jpg

In 1095 Henriques of Borgonha is given the Condado de Portucalense by the King Alfonso VI of Kingdom of Castela and Leão. As vassal of Castela and Leão he is tasked with defending the Christian lands from the Infidels to the south and fealty to the crown of Kingdom of Castela and Leão. The Conde Henriques is not satisfied with the arrangement and while he commits whole heartedly to the expulsion of the Moors he aspires for his realm to become independent.

The story of Henriques of Borgonha is one of a knight of high standing but slim prospects in his homeland so decided to seek his fortune elsewhere. In 1086 Henriques of Borgonha the grandson of Robert I, Duke of Borgonha accompanies his cousin Raymond of Borgonha, the son of William I, Count of Borgonha to fight the Moors from the Peninsula Ibérica. They along with thousands of others are there at the invitation of King Alfonso VI of Kingdom of Castela and Leão.

Meanwhile on the Muslim side the Emirs namely Abbad III al-Mu'tamid, request assistance from the Almorávida Dynasty in North Africa in fighting Alfonso VI of Leão and Castela. The Almorávidasleader Yusuf ibn Tashfin answers the call and brings over a large army from North Africa and takes command of the Muslim side. At the Battle of az-Zallaqah Yusuf ibn Tashfin inflicts a heavy defeat against the Christian forces forcing them to retreat and regroup. But due to internal issues in North Africa Yusuf ibn Tashfin does not follow up on his victory but instead returns to North Africa.

In 1090 Yusuf ibn Tashfin returns to Peninsula Ibérica and proceeds to conquer all independent Muslim Taifas thus establishing a strong apposing Muslim force instead of several smaller independent Taifas. Over the next number of years they push the Christian Kingdoms north in several places.

In 1091 Raymond of Borgonha is rewarded for his support and fighting he is given the hand of the only legitimate child of Alfonso VI of Leão and Castela his daughter Urraca, and given the fiefdom of Galiza. He also becomes the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Leão and Castela.

Two years later in 1093 Henriques of Borgonha is also rewarded. He marries Infanta Teresa, the illegitimate daughter of Afonso VI of Leão and Castela for his contribution in fighting the moors. A condition of the reward is the recognition of his cousin Raymond as the legitimate heir to Alfonso VI of Castile. In 1095 Henriques of Borgonha receives the second part of his reward the Condado de Portucalense. He thus becomes a vassal of the Kingdom of Leão and Castela. He is known from then on as the Conde D. Henrique and while never becoming king is regarded by some historians as D. Henrique I de Portugal the first leader of the Portugal.

Meanwhile in North Africa the Almóada Dynasty founded by Ibn Tumart in 1105. It begins as a religious movement to rid Islam of impurities. Ibn Tumart's successor, Abd al-Mu'min, turned the movement against non-Muslims, specifically Jews and Christians. It eventually sweeps across North Africa and finally into Muslim Iberia. The zealous Almóados initiate riots and persecutions of both Muslims and non-Muslims. In some towns Jews and Christians are given the choice of conversion, exile, or death. When they finally arrive in Iberia in the 12th century displacing the Almorávida Dynasty, thousands of Christian and Jews move north into Christian kingdoms.

In the Kingdom of Castela and Leão the old guard one by one dies leaving the new generation to take up the struggle. In 1107 the Conde Raymond de Borgonha dies leaving the fiefdom of Galiza to his son Alfonso Raimúndez. This is followed in 1109 by the death of Afonso VI of Leão and Castela; his daughter Urraca becomes Queen of Leão and Castela.

Meanwhile in Portucalense D. Afonso Henriques is born in 1109. While the Conde has two surviving daughters his other two previous sons had died in infancy. But joy in the Condado is short lived for in 1112 the Conde D. Henriques dies. He leaves a much more independent Condado then he inherited. His wife D. Teresa becomes regent for the infant Afonso. She ultimately joins up with Conde Fernando Peres de Trava of Galiza who becomes her lover.

In 1820 after a longtime of rivalries D. Teresa Condessa de Portucalense and her lover’s position and well as the direction she is leading the Condado come to a head with the Bishop of Braga. D Afonso Henriques takes the side of the Bishop putting him in direct confrontation with his mother.

In 1821 Alfonso Raimúndez makes the first of two marches into the Condado, this time as a representative of his mother the Queen he has come to enforce the fealty of the Condado. D Teresa is captured but is released on the promise of honoring the fealty towards Kingdom of Castela and Leão. Then in 1126 Queen Urraca dies and her son Alfonso Raimúndez becomes Alfonso VII of Leão and Castela. Following his ascension to the throne and the failure of D Alfonso Henriques to renew his fealty King Alfonso VII of Castela and León invades Portucalense and besieges Guimarães in 1127. The Portuguese Knight Egas Moniz de Ribadouro manages to make King Alfonso VII of Leão and Castela accept promises of Portuguese fielty.

egasmoniznaestacaosbent.png

Following his master refusal to swear fealty the Portuguese Knight Egas Moniz de Ribadouro accompanied by his wife and children travels to King Alfonso VII of Castile and León capital to turn himself over to the King’s justice. Each of them has a rope around their necks symbolizing their shame and repentance. King Alfonso VII of Castile and León is so moved by his honor that he pardons him and his family and allows them to return to Portucalense.

castelodeguimaraes.jpg

Since 1122 when he had made himself a knight at the age of 14 on his own accord in the Cathedral of Zamora under the guidance of the Bishop of Braga D Afonso Henriques has been gathering support amongst the peasants, clergy and nobles of the Condado. After about six of preparation he finally challenges his mother for control of the Condado. On July 14, 1128 at the Battle of São Mamede outside of Guimarães he overcomes his mother’s forces and takes control of the Condado de Portucalense. His mother D Teresa is exiled to Galiza for the remainder of her life.

On April 6 1129 D. Afonso Henrique follows up his seizure of power and proclaims himself Principe de Portugal. The following year he invades Galiza capturing over a dozen castles meanwhile his mother of dies in Galiza. In 1135 he turns his attention to the south and leads the Portuguese forces against the Moors and conquers Leiria.

On July 25th 1139 following the Portuguese victory over the Almoravida forces at the Battle of Ourique D Afonso Henriques proclaims Portuguese independence. D Afonso Henriques had finally accomplished the dreams laid out by his father; the Condado de Portucalense was finally transformed into the Kingdom of Portugal.

Reign of D. Afonso I (1139 – 1185)

afonsoip.jpg

After proclaiming Portugal’s independence in 1139 D Afonso Henriques (Afonso I) faced a monumental task. He needed to secure his independence from his cousin the King of much larger Kingdom of Castela and Leão. Just as importantly he needed to secure Papal recognition of Portugal’s independence. To accomplish the second he needed to provide proof of Portugal’s determination and capabilities in regard to spread the true and only faith and drive the Infidels from the Peninsula. To do so, he will need to push the Moors south to the Rio Tejo and beyond.

batalhaourique.jpg

Following the capture of Leiria in 1135 the village is fought over again two years later when the Moors attack and Leiria is once again liberated then on July 25, 1139 D Afonso Henriques defeats the numerically superior Almorávida forces led by the Emir Ali ibn Yusuf at the Battle of Ourique. Following the battle Portuguese independence is proclaimed. D Afonso Henriques assembles the first Cortes de Lamego, where he was given the Crown from the Bishop of Braga, to confirm Portuguese independence and becomes Portugal’s 1st king (Afonso I).

The following year the Portuguese defeat the Kingdom of Castela and Leão at the battle of Arcos de Valdevez and moves his capital south to Coimbra on the Rio Mondego. Unfortunately Portuguese forces are defeated in their attempt to capture Santarem and Lisboa. This is followed by a Moor counter attack which re-captures Leiria and pushing the Portuguese north to the Rio Mondego. D Afonso Henriques refits his troops and in 1142 they recapture Leiria giving it its foral signifying the colonization of the area.

In 1143D Afonso Henriques accomplishes his first goal; Afonso VII of Leão and Castela recognizes Portuguese independence with the signing of the Treaty of Zamora between Portugal and Kingdom of Castela and Leão. From that time on D. Afonso attempts to get Papal recognition of Portuguese Independence by providing large donations to the church and founding several convents. He declares Portugal subject to the Catholic Church and pledges to continue the fight against the Moors.

rainhadmafaldadafonsohe.jpg

Following the signing of the treaty with his larger neigbour, D Afonso Henriques moves to secure his lineage and the country’s independence. In 1146 he marries Mafalda de Saboia, the daughter of Amadeus III of Savoy, Count of Savoy. With the kingdom secure internally and from invasions from his fellow Christian monarchs D Afonso Henriques turns his attention to the Moors once more. In March of 1147 he leads the Portuguese forces and conquers Santarém from the Muslims but is unable to take Lisboa.

siegeoflisbonmuslimsurr.jpg

On June 16, 1147 a fleet of close to 200 ships carrying over 12,000 Christian Crusaders bound for the Holy Land sought shelter in the northern Portuguese city of Porto from storm. There they met with Bishop Pedro II Pitões who convinced them to meet with King Afonso I. Once they agreed to meet him King Afonso I left Santarem and rushed north to meet them. In Porto he convinced them to help him take Lisboa and in return they could keep everything they found along with the ransoms money from the prisoners. The Portuguese and Crusaders took the surrounding area and began the siege on July 1. After four months of siege the Muslims surrender the city of Lisboa and the surrounding area due to hunger within the city because the city was also sheltering the people from around the city and Santarem.

The conquest of Lisboa left Portugal with control of all lands north of the Rio Tejo. Many of the crusaders decided to settle in the area including Gilberto de Hastings who became the city’s first Bishop, while the rest continue sailing towards the Holy Land.

In 1149 the Muslim camp the Almóada Dynasty starts conquering the Almorávidas Dynasty resulting in many of the Muslim Taifas declares their independence. The Almóada Dynasty soon invades the Peninsula Ibérica and begins the re-conquest of the Taifas. Over the next six years the Taifas of Badajoz, of Beja, Évora Mértola and Silves are taken by the Almóada.

In 1154 D. Sancho is born (later becomes Sancho I of Portugal) he is the only legitimate male child to survive infancy; Sancho had two older and one younger sister.

In 1157 Afonso VII of Castela and Leão dies and the Kingdom Castela and Leão is split between his sons Afonso and Fernando. Fernando ascends the throne of the independent Kingdom of Leão and Galiza and becomes Fernando II of Leão. His brother Sancho becomes Sancho III of Castela and Toledo. One year later Sancho III of Castela and Toledo dies; he is succeeded by his eldest son Afonso VIII who is proclaimed king at the age of 3 years. Afonso VIII placed under uncle Fernando Rodríguez de Castro regency. In 1160 the Castilian regency seized by Manrique Pérez de Lara, Fernando Rodríguez de Castro flees to Leão and gathers an army and returns to Castile.At the Battle of Lobregal the two combattants for the regency met. Nuño Pérez de Lara, the brother of the young Alfonso's regent, Manrique Pérez de Lara fought off Castros forces which resulted in a victory for Lara family. Fernando Rodríguez de Castro once more was forced to flee back to Leão.1

Ten years after conquering Lisboa D. Afonso Henriques once more expand their border south with the conquest of conquers Alcácer do Sal from the Muslims in 1158. He then moves south and conquers Évora and Beja from the Muslims in 1160. Meanwhile in the north, the city of Tomar is founded. Over the next five years the border changes hand repeatedly with Alcácer do Sal, Évora and Beja falling to the Moors again and being retaken back.

In the north along the Portuguese-Leão border, Fernando II of Leão began repopulating and fortifying Cidade Rodrigo in 1166. The Portuguese became alarmed believing it to be a staging area for the invasion of Portugal by Leão. In 1168 Afonso I sent his recently knighted 14 year old son at the head of a Portuguese army to take Cidade Rodrigo. When news arrives in Leão, Fernando II of Leão rushes to Cidade Rodrigo to beat back the Portuguese attack.

Battle of Cidade Rodrigo; Portuguese forces led by D. Sancho battle Leão’s forces led by Fernando II of Leão. The battle began going in Leão’s way and D. Sancho was in jeopardy of being captured. Fernando II of Leão seeing this leads the Leão forces trying to capture D Sancho but instead he is killed in the battle and the rest of Leão’s forces loose heart and are routed. Cidade Rodrigo is occupied by Portugal.2

Taking advantage of the anarchy since Fernando II of Leão left no descendents, Afonso I claims the crown of Leão and invades Galiza in 1168. The city of Tui is captured in 1169 and by the end of 1170 all of Galiza is under Portuguese control.

In the south; D Sancho leads the remaining Portuguese forces and captures Cáceres first then besieges and captures Badajoz which was under the control of the Saracen’s but subject to Leão.

In Castela, the 17 year old Afonso VIII of Castela becomes incensed at Alfonso’s actions and his claim on Leão’s crown decides to claim the crown for himself and reunite the two kingdoms under him. He assembles an army and marches west to wrestle the Kingdom of Leão from Afonso’s grasp.

leaobattle.jpg

On October 10, 1172 the Portuguese and Castela forces confront each other in the Battle of City of Leão. Afonso I accompanied by his son D. Sancho leads the Portuguese forces against Afonso VIII Castela and his Castilian forces, the Portuguese score a decisive victory and Afonso VIII of Castela is forced to withdraw from Leão to regroup. City of Leão falls to Portuguese forces, all Leão nobles ordered to declare their allegiance to the Portuguese crown. The city of Oviedo under the control of the Vermúdez family was the only one to defy the Portuguese king’s edict so he marched on the city and besieged it for one month till it surrendered and the Vermúdez family swear fealty to the Portuguese crown.

Muslim forces taking advantage of Christian fighting against each other launch new attacks against both Castela and Portugal in 1173. Both countries loose territory and are pushed north. Portugal looses the entire Alentejo province and their city of Santarem is besieged. While in Castela looses all territory south of the Rio Tejo

On July 15, 1174 the Battle of Cidade Rodrigo between the Portuguese and Almóados result in Portuguese victory. The Portuguese army of 20,000 men under D. Afonso I stops the Muslim advance. The Portuguese defeat the moors forcing them retreat south toward Seville, while the Portuguese marched south to relieve the Portuguese city of Santarem being besieged by the Yusuf I, the Almóada Caliph. D. Sancho who was in charge of the defences of the city upon seeing the Portuguese relief army orders his soldiers out of the city and attacks the besiegers from the rear at the same time the Portuguese army under his father attacks them from the north.3

On September 12 Yusuf I, Almóada Caliph, dies in the battle of Santarem and the defeated Muslims are forced to retreat out of Alentejo and Estremadura back to Andalusia. Portugal controls all lands west and north of the Rio Guadiana to the Monchique Mountains including city of Badajoz.

In Seville Abu Yusuf Ya'qub al-Mansur succeeds to the Almóada throne. He then directs his forces instead on attacking Castile and besieges Toledo.

Faced with strong Muslim force besieging Toledo the weakened Afonso VIII of Castela approaches Alfonso I about help and peace between the two countries. Afonso VIII of Castela abandons all claims to the crown of Leão as a sign of peace. In 1174 agrees to a truce and Alfonso I arranges for the marriage of his daughter Infanta Urraca to be married to Alfonso VIII of Castela. In 1175 Alfonso I arranges for the marriage of his son and heir Sancho to Dulce Berenguer of Barcelona, daughter of the Conde Raimundo Berenguer IV of Barcelona and wife Queen Petronila of Aragão. Portugal provides Castela with support to break the Muslims siege of Toledo allowing Castela to regroup and recuperate.4

In 1179 D Afonso Henriques accomplishes his second goal the recognition of Portugal by the Holy See. Pope Alexander III In the papal bull Manifestis Probatum recognizes Portugal as an independent land with the right to conquer lands from the Muslims. Portuguese Independence is finally recognized 40 years after D Afonso had proclaimed it.

In 1183 the Treaty of Fresno-Levandera between Portugal and Castela recognizing Portugal’s border with Castela and the unification of Portuguese, Galiza and Leão Kingdoms under Portuguese crown.5

1185 – December 6, death of Afonso I (Portugal’s 1st king “o conquistador) at the age of 76. Having accomplished all three of his goals during his reign, he had secured Portugal’s independence from his Christian neighbors, got papal recognition of Portugal’s independence and lastly expanded the lands under Portuguese-Christian control south to the Monchique Mountains and all land north of Rio Guadiana to the Castela border.6

iberianpeninsula1195.jpg

1) In iOTL Castro return and retakes over the Regency. I tossed a coin and Castro lost. I had orriginaly intended this to be major event but due to dates just became a small divergence that while important in Castela was insignificant overall.

2) In iOTL Leon forces are victorius and the Portuguese are routed. King Fernando lives on and captures Afonso in Badajoz forcing him to ransom all his conquests in Galiza. Leon would continue till 1230 when his grandson dies hierless and Castela absorbs Leon.

3) The Muslim forces besiege Santarem and a combined force of Portuguese-Leon forces break the siege and push them back but both Portugal and Leon are pushed back to Rio Tejo. Here a combined country fields a much greater force breaking the Muslim advance and killing the Muslim leader. In iOTL Ysuf I, Almoada Caliph dies a few years later. The Battle of Cidade Rodrigo was a great victory for the Leon forces and pushed the muslim forces south of the Rio Tejo.

4) In iOTL Urraca marries Fernando II of Leao, providing the warming of relationship between the two countries and Fernando II comes to his father-inlaws help at the siege of Santarem.

5) The treaty was between leon and Catela to settle the border and fighting between the two countries. Since Portugal now borders Castela it can be transfered over to Portugal-Castela.

6) A united country comprising of Portugal, Galiza and Leon could and had the capability of achieving the level of conquest against a enemy besieged from all sides. So in this TL Portugal at the end of Afonso I reign is all the way down to Monchique Mountains (between Algarve and Alentejo.

Last edited:
I missed the PoD. Obviously Portugal (e Galiza e Leão) does better, but I'm not familiar enough with the time or place to see what happened differently. Obviously, with your text book style, you can't be talking about PoDs in the text, but, maybe footnotes? Hmmm..... How about footnotes numbered 1,2,3,... for the footnotes in the original textbook and a,b,c,... for your glosses?

Lusitania

Donor
I missed the PoD. Obviously Portugal (e Galiza e Leão) does better, but I'm not familiar enough with the time or place to see what happened differently. Obviously, with your text book style, you can't be talking about PoDs in the text, but, maybe footnotes? Hmmm..... How about footnotes numbered 1,2,3,... for the footnotes in the original textbook and a,b,c,... for your glosses?

I have entered the footnotes, I actually omited them on purpose to get some interest in the TL. In future posts I will make them part of the post at time of posting and not after. See orriginal post for foot notes.

Lusitania

Donor
Reign of D. Sancho I (1185 – 1211

Sancho I.jpg
In 1185 following the death of his father Afonso I, D Sancho is proclaimed King of Portugal, Galiza and Leão. He inherited a kingdom that almost encompassed half of the Península Ibérica Christian controlled land’s but was beset by tensions between the noble houses as well as three main groups: Portuguese, Galicians and Leones. The kingdom was still beset by enemies both Christians and Muslims. King Afonso VIII of Castela still had desires on the former kingdom of Leão only lack resources and opportunity prevented him from exercising his desire. To the south the Muslims under the Almorávida Dynasty continued their attacks on the Christian kingdoms Aragão, Castela and of course Portugal.

D. Sancho refrained from engaging their neighbours focusing instead on building the nation. He promoted the development of new industries and supported the growing middle class of merchants. It was also under his reign that the Portuguese Kingdom’s national treasury started to grow as expenditures for war greatly decreased.

What D. Sancho is most noted for was the populating of the vast empty areas of the kingdom. Numerous towns and villages were founded during his reign in some of the more remote parts of the country. Both the northern parts of the country as well as the newly conquered southern parts were repopulated and over twenty new Castles were constructed along Portugal’s border with the Muslims to guard Portugal’s frontier from attack.

While he is not noted for actively pursuing a plan of conquest the country continued to grow as D Sancho never shrank from his duty of defending the state and taking the war to the infidels when opportunity presented itself. Several important battles were won against the Almóada Muslim and territory taken.

As for the relationship between Kingdom of Portugal and the other three Christian Kingdoms it also changed as the strength and position of the country had grown. Portugal’s relative size and power now made it the principle power in the Peninsula a fact not lost of the King’s of Castela and Aragão. The relationship between three main kingdoms shifted with center of power moving west to Coimbra. This in turn gave rise to a more aggressive action by Alfonso VIII of Castela of which it did not always go in Castela’s way.

He brought to Portugal thousands of emigrants from other parts of Europe especially from Flanders and Borgonha. The Portuguese population and economy greatly increases due to growth in agriculture and commerce.

His rise to power started long before he became king, in 1168 D. Sancho was knighted by his father and from there he became his father’s assistant and right hand man both militarily as well administratively till his father death in 1185.

2-_Rainha_D._Dulce.jpg
In 1175 the Kingdom of Aragão feeling threatened by its neighbour Castela recognizes Portuguese independence and to cement the relationships of the country the Portuguese heir to the throne, D Sancho, marries Dulce Berenguer of Barcelona, daughter of the Conde Raimundo Berenguer IV of Barcelona and wife Queen Petronila of Aragão.

From this marriage nine children were born that survived infancy. The first three were girls Infanta Teresa born in 1181, Infanta Sancha born in 1182, Infanta Contança born in 1182. In 1185 Infante Afonso is born followed by his two younger brothers Infante Pedro born in 1187 and Infante Fernando born in 1189. Lastly three more daughters: Infanta Branca born in 1192, Infanta Berengaria born in 1195 and Infanta Malfada born in 1200.

In 1185 Abu Yusuf Ya'qub al-Mansur succeeds as Caliph of the Almóada Dynasty and spends the next five years reorganizing the Muslim forces in the Peninsula and brings over from Northern Africa thousands of new troops meanwhile keeping up the pressure against the three Christian Kingdoms on the Peninsula. His forces are stretched from the Atlantic in the west to the Mediterranean in the east. In the meantime he stays in North Africa battling against insurrection and also extending the Almóada Dynasty to Tunisia.

In 1189 D Afonso like his father 40 years earlier takes advantage of the huge crusade fleet stopping in port of Lisboa. He makes an agreement with the leaders of the third crusade to attack the Muslims south of the Monchique Mountains. In turn for their arms he agrees that they can keep everything in the city of Silves and the ransom money. The Caliph of Silves which had come under the control of the Almóada Dynasty in 1155 was a very rich area with a population of over 20,000 people. The third crusade fleet set sail from the port of Lisboa while D Sancho set forth south with an army of 10,000 knights and infantry. The crusade soldiers besiege and take the town while the Portuguese forces attack Paderno Castel in Albufeira and Faro thus pushing the Muslims forces east of the Rio Guadiana[1].

In 1190 Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur responds to the Portuguese offensive by returning from North Africa and launching a two prong attack on the Portuguese. One force led by him marches north into Alentejo towards Évora while the second force under Yabir ibn Yusuf marches into Algarve and after defeating the Portuguese forces in Faro and Albufeira march and besieges Silves.

On June 15 1190 the Battle of Évora between Muslim forces and the Portuguese army led by Sancho I. When Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur and his 20,000 strong force arrived at Évora he found the town and castle defences greatly improved since its capture by Portugal. For three weeks he besieged the town hoping to take it before turning his attention to the northern Portuguese forces but was forced to abandon the siege at the arrival of the large Portuguese army under the banner of the Portuguese king Sancho I. The Portuguese forces which had rested the previous day to the north attacked the Muslim force as it disengaged itself from the siege and presented themselves to the attacking Portuguese. The battle lasted over two hours in which the city of Évora’s forces and garrison opened their gates and joined the attack. The battle proved too much for Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur forces and he is forced to retreat after his left flank was routed. The Muslim forces lost over quarter of their soldiers including over 2,350 captured when part of the left flank was surrounded. More importantly the entire Muslim baggage train and supplies were abandoned forcing Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur to retreat back to Seville.

After one day of rest D. Sancho gathered those soldiers who could continue on including many from the City of Évora and marched south to relieve the city of Silves. Following the Battle of Évora word of Portuguese victory raced ahead of the Portuguese army reaching both the besiegers and defenders of Silves simultaneously. For the Muslims it is a sign that their time in the Algarve is over and under Yabir ibn Yusuf they begin a desperate all out attack on the town hoping to capture it before relief army arrives. For the Portuguese forces it gives them great strength and hope that the Portuguese army will soon arrive and drive the invaders out.

On June 19 the Muslim forces fail to take the Castle of Silves after two breaches on the wall are repulsed. Several Muslim leaders argue for a second assault believing the defenders have been weakened but Yabir ibn Yusuf refuses and orders his forces to break the siege and retreat east. The Muslim forces break the siege and begin withdrawing east as D Sancho and his forces pass over the mountains to the north. On June 23 the last Muslim forces abandon all lands west of the Rio Guadiana.

To the east Alfonso VIII of Castela responds to the Portuguese victories with his own invasion south from 1190 to 1192 his forces are able to push the Almóada Muslims from the banks of the Rio Tejo south over the Rio Guadiana. Eager to continue their breakneck pace and capture as much territory as possible while the Portuguese to the east are reorganizing he launches an attack and captures Alarcos which he plans to use as a base for a move into Seville to the east and Andalusia to the south and west thus pinning his two neighbour (Aragão and Portugal). On May 1, 1192 at the battle of Battle of Alarcos, Alfonso VIII of Castela and his Castilian forces are defeated by a superior Muslim force led by a resurged Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur. The Castilians are forced to surrender all lands south of Rio Guadiana as condition of an armistice. Alfonso VIII of Castela is weakened considerably with half his army destroyed and he has to abandon his dream of conquest while he concentrates on rebuilding his forces and at the same time guarding his flanks from possible attacks by the other Christian kingdoms.

Tensions between Castela, Portugal, Navarra and Aragão rise to new height with both Portugal and Aragão bringing their forces to the border with Castela when Alfonso VIII of Castela attacks the Kingdom of Navarra and captured La Rioja. The situation continued tense with all four countries on the verge of war until Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur invaded Portugal for a second time. D Sancho quickly recalled his troops from the Castilian border and prepared once more to deal with the Almóada invasion. To secure his border D Sancho concluded a treaty with Castela recognizing its possession of all lands west of the Rio Ebro.

In 1195 Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur once again invades Portugal once more with an army of over 50,000 men. This time his target was Badajoz on the Rio Guadiana from which he would be free to launch an invasion west or north. The city of Badajoz holds out for over one month repulsing two assaults. On June 3 1195 three separate armies arrive on the scene. From the west D Sancho leads an army of 32,000 Portuguese and Galizan forces. From the east the Duque of Oviedo approaches with an army of 14,000 Leonese and Portuguese forces. Lastly from the south the Knights of Templar under the command of Gualdim Pais arrive leading a force of 11,000[2].

The battle proved very difficult for the three separate Portuguese forces each under their own command. The forces were unable to take advantage of many opportunities to defeat the Muslim army instead their combined weight finally forced Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur to order his forces to retreat on concern they could be surrounded.

This time D Sancho reorganizes his forces and pursues the retreating Muslim army south. On the banks of the Rio Guadalquivir Portuguese army once more attack the Muslim invaders. During the Battle of Seville the Portuguese combined army of 40,000 men attack and defeat Almóada force. Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur and his army suffer heavy casualties and are pinned against the river forcing Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur to negotiate his own ransom.

The Treaty of Seville between Almóada Muslim and Portugal gives Estremadura and Huelva to Portugal to the Rio Guadalquivir. In addition the Almóada are forced to turn over 50,000 Christian salves living under the Almóada rule.

Tensions between Portugal and the other three Christian kingdoms on the Peninsula rise once again. To placate his brother-in-law, Alfonso VIII of Castela, D Sancho agrees to recognize Castile’s claim to the rest of Andalusia as well as provide it with financial support. Unfortunately for the Castilians just as they receive this support Portugal releases thousands of Muslim soldiers thus preventing Castela and Aragão from making good on their improved situation and the Muslim and Christian border changes very little over the next decade or so.

The loss by Abu Yusuf Ya’qub al-Mansur to the Portuguese proves too much for the Almóados following his return to the Almóada capital of Marráquexe along with the rest of the captured Almóados leaders he is deposed by his son Muhammad an-Nasir.

Over the next decade or so till his death D Sancho concentrated exclusively on building up the country numerous new towns and villages were founded as well city charters were granted too many cities.

D Sancho also worked hard at solidifying his control over the country and increasing Portugal’s trade and diplomatic ties to other European countries. In 1198 he arranged for the double marriage of his eldest daughter Infanta Teresa to heir of the Aragão crown Prince Peter (later to be known as Peter II the Catholic) this was followed by the marriage of Contança of Aragão daughter of King of Aragão to Portuguese heir Infante Afonso[3].

Having secured Aragão’s good will D Sancho followed through with additional royal ties. In 1200 he arranged for the marriage of his second daughter Infanta Sancha to the newly crowned John I of England who had ascended to the English throne due to the death of his older brother Richard[4].

In 1207 he arranges the marriage of his second son, Infante Pedro, to Blanche of Navarre, daughter of Sancho VI of Navarre and widow of Count Theobald III of Champagne after his death without any issue. Infante Pedro is made Duque de Leão[5].

In 1210 D Sancho second youngest daughter is married to King Valdemar II of Denmark.

On the issue of relationship between the Portuguese crown and Catholic Church strains appear as the powers given to the church by his father in order to gain Papal recognition of Portugal’s independence. The Knight Templers control almost one third of the Alentejo as well as over 20 castles in the country but are upset they did not receive any more lands and territory in the newly conquered territory to the east and south.

On October 10, 1211 Portugal’s second king (“o Povoador”) died at the age of 57.

[1]In iOTL Silves was captured but lost two years later due to King of Leão forcing the King to stay in the north in case of Leão invasion.

[2]In 1195 Al-Mansur much stronger soundly defeats Alfonso VIII of Castela at the battle of Alarcos keeping the Castilians pinned to the Rio Tejo for the next two decades.

[3]In iOTL Infanta Teresa married King Afonso IX de Leão bestowing on him two daughters but no boys while Infante Afonso married Urraca of Castela. Since here the king of Castela is married to sister of Portuguese King there is no new marriages. King Peter II of Aragão married Marie of Montpellier, daughter and heiress of William VIII of Montpellier.

[4] In iOTL Infanta Sancha became Abbess of Lorvão and King John I of England married Isabella of Angoulême.

[5]In iOTL Infante Pedro moved out of the country and becomes Consort Count of Urgell, and later titular Count of Urgell and Lord of the Balearic Islands. He lived in León and married Arembiaux Armengel, Countess of Urgell

iberianpeninsula1212.jpg

Sancho I.jpg

Last edited:
De Condado a Império”

the Unabridged History of the Portuguese

2nd Condado de Portucalense I (1095 – 1139)

In 1820 after a longtime of rivalries D. Teresa Condessa de Portucalense and her lover’s position and well as the direction she is leading the Condado come to a head with the Bishop of Braga. D Afonso Henriques takes the side of the Bishop putting him in direct confrontation with his mother.

In 1821 Alfonso Raimúndez makes the first of two marches into the Condado, this time as a representative of his mother the Queen he has come to enforce the fealty of the Condado. D Teresa is captured but is released on the promise of honoring the fealty towards Kingdom of Castela and Leão. Then in 1126 Queen Urraca dies and her son Alfonso Raimúndez becomes Alfonso VII of Leão and Castela. Following his ascension to the throne and the failure of D Alfonso Henriques to renew his fealty King Alfonso VII of Castela and León invades Portucalense and besieges Guimarães in 1127. The Portuguese Knight Egas Moniz de Ribadouro manages to make King Alfonso VII of Leão and Castela accept promises of Portuguese fielty.

Excellent TL, however I found these inconsitencies (in red); and it takes time to get used to those place names in Portuguese, however if I ever find the time and courage to write a TL, I'm considering to use Dutch place names;).
More in general it is well written and the TL is set in an interesting period particularly for this region. And finally since I'm Dutch I only knew something about the general history of the region, so it might help to improve my knowledge on Portuguese history:).

Lusitania

Donor
Excellent TL, however I found these inconsitencies (in red); and it takes time to get used to those place names in Portuguese, however if I ever find the time and courage to write a TL, I'm considering to use Dutch place names;).
More in general it is well written and the TL is set in an interesting period particularly for this region. And finally since I'm Dutch I only knew something about the general history of the region, so it might help to improve my knowledge on Portuguese history:).

Thanks, I correct the master copy as for the posts they are over the one week period allowed for change so I will have to live with it.

Keep reading, hope you keep enjoying. Next up Afonso II.

Lusitania

Donor
Reign of D. Afonso II (1211 – 1228)

afonsoiip.jpg
On October 15 1211 D Afonso II was proclaimed king of Portugal, Leão, Galiza and Algarve at the age of 26.

His reign was the first reign that the Kingdom of Portugal did not gain any territory from its neighbours either Christian or Muslim. This was in part due to the Treaty of Toledo entered into Alfonso VIII of Castela in 1196 by his father which had recognized the rest of Andalusia under Castela sphere.

Alfonso VIII of Castela had over the preceding years been battling the Almóada Muslims with limited success, although he had been able to push the Castela frontier to the Rio Guadiana. Following the Portuguese victory at the Battle of Seville he had grown angry at the Portuguese lack of support and refusal to help Castela “reconquista”[1]. Both the king of Castela and its bishops complained to Rome regarding Portugal’s failure to provide assistance and its failure to attack the infidels.

The growing conflict between the Catholic Church in Portugal and Portuguese crown added to the general dissatisfaction of Pope Innocent III towards D Afonso II. In 1212, less than six months following his ascension to throne, D Afonso II and the kingdom were placed under interdict by Pope Innocent III.

The papal interdict caused severe problems for the king with many nobles and peasants growing dissatisfied with his rule and the predicament of the country. The Bishops and religious orders completely rejected any limitation on their privileges and taxation on their property. In addition they were displeased with the both the previous and the current kings refusal to extend the privileges and grant land in the newly conquered territory. Fortunately for the king circumstances outside the country distracted all attention away from the interdict and rallied both the church and people behind the crown as it battled for the country’s very survival.

On May 20 1212 Muhammad an-Nasir crossed the strait and lands on the Peninsula Ibérica with a war host numbering over 250,000 soldiers. The Almóada Caliph had in turn striped his North Africa possessions of most his soldiers and lead an Islamic Jihad to reclaim the Peninsula back from the Christians[2].

Over the next two months he slowly built up his army while at the same time recruited an additional 50,000 men from the Muslim lands in the peninsula. Both Portugal and Castela suffered repeated attacks along its border with the Muslims. The four Portuguese Castles along the Rio Guadalquivir come under repeated attacks with the Henrique Castle falling to a large Muslim force on June 20. A Portuguese army of over 20,000 under the command of D Alfonso II recaptured the castle on July 1 but the situation was anything but secure.

On the Castela-Almóada frontier King Alfonso VIII of Castela was not as fortunate, Castela lost six castles and strongholds during the month of June and July.

With the Christian Kingdoms in the Peninsula in jeopardy of falling Pope Innocent III called for a Crusade to drive the Infidels out. Answering his call over 50,000 knights and infantry marched over the Pirenéus Mountains mostly from France. The kings of Aragão and Navarre also marched to war at the head of their armies.

In Portugal D Alfonso II made preparations for war once again in preparation for the expected call for Crusade. He was outraged that Alfonso VIII of Castela had been selected as the leader of the crusade even though Portugal was almost three times the size and power of Castela. Enraged he refused to leave Badajoz where the Portuguese army was gathering. After one week of discussion D Alfonso II finally agreed to answer the crusade but in lieu of the insult nominated his brother D Pedro, the Duque of Leão, to head the Portuguese army which numbered over 35,000 along with an additional 20,000 Religious Order troops from the three Catholic Religious Order in Portugal: Knights Templar, Knights Hospitaller and Order of Santiago. D Alfonso II marched south to the Rio Guadalquivir with remaining 20,000 soldiers to guard against Muslim attacks on Portugal.

When Duque of Leão and the Portuguese army arrived at the meeting place in Castela, there was much concern and anger over the decision of D Afonso II to send his brother instead of himself, but with over 50,000 men Portugal had the largest contingent in the Christian camp so the matter was dropped.

The Christian army was made up as follows: in the center Alfonso VIII of Castela with his army of 20,000 along with Spanish Religious orders and Christian Knights from France, on the left King Sancho VII of Navarre and King Pedro II of Aragão with approximately 50,000 soldiers while on the right would be the Portuguese under the Duque of Leão. Even with the Portuguese the Christian Army only numbered 150,000 solders of which only one quarter was knights and the rest infantry and they still were outnumbered two to one[3].

On August 20 Alfonso VIII of Castela led the Christian army south over the mountains towards the Almóada camp just north of the Rio Guadalquivir in the middle of the Muslim lands. The Christian army Alfonso crossed the mountain range that defended the Almohad camp, sneaking through the Despeñaperros Pass. The Christian coalition caught Moorish army by surprise and attacked at dawn.

battleoflasnavasdetolos.jpg
At the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa the Moors were completely routed with the Portuguese and Navarre army broke through the confused and shocked Muslim lines reaching the central command area of Muhammad an-Nasir. For close to one hour, thousands of Almóada bodyguards were killed as the two Christian armies surrounded Muhammad an-Nasir preventing his escape. When King Sancho VII and the Duque of Leão finally reached the pavilion they found Muhammad an-Nasir already dead.

News of Muhammad an-Nasir death took all desire to fight from the remaining Muslim army and they surrendered en mass. The Almóada Dynasty was finished with the successor of the Almóada, Yusuf al-Mustansir amongst the death. Most of the Almóada viziers and their sons were either killed or amongst the captured, thus leaving the country without an effective ruler[4].

In the Peninsula Ibérica the remaining Muslim Caliphs became independent and for the most part without any support from the Muslim till the Merínida Dynasty was able to establish control over most of Marrocos and parts of Algeria and in turn start providing them with help in the mid 1250s. In North Africa the Almóada Empire collapsed as Libya, Algeria and Tunisia declared their independence. In Marrocos the Merínida Dynasty arose and captured Marraquexe and over the next three decades extended their rule over the rest of Marrocos completely displacing the Almóada Dynasty.

On the Peninsula Ibérica, Castela and Aragão used the great victory as the Catalyst to launch a renewed attack on the Muslim lands. From 1212 to 1230 the Castilians and Aragonese extended their territory south taking much of Andalusia and Valencia from the Muslims.

In 1214 while Alfonso VIII of Castela was besieging Ubeda he died due to sickness. The Castilian forces under the command of his oldest son Sancho took the town as a memorial to his father and the town was renamed Alfonso in honour of his father. On October 10 1214 Sancho was crowned Sancho IV of Castela. Over the next decade he then led the Castilian forces in a string of conquests that left it in control of all lands north of the Rio Guadalquivir in Andalusia and Rio Seguro in Murcia.

Meanwhile Pedro II of Aragão too sought to increase his country’s holding with an attack into the Caliph of Valencia. From 1214 to 1218 the Aragonese conquered all lands to the Rio Jucar including the city of Valencia which fell on October 1 1218. Unfortunately Pedro II of Aragão was mortally wounded in the battle for the city and succumbed to his injuries on November 2. On November 10 his eldest surviving son James was proclaimed James I of Aragão.

In 1224 the three main Christian Kingdoms of the Península, plus at the insistence of Portugal Navarre signed the Treaty of Almizra defining the border of all three countries. Aragão claim to the remainder of the Caliph of Valencia was recognized as well as its claim the Balearic Islands. Portugal border with Castela was defined and as part of the peace treaty it turned over all lands captured by D Alfonso II south of the Rio Guadalquivir including Seville and Cadiz[5]. The independence of Navarre with its current borders was also recognized and its independence guaranteed by Portugal much to the resentment of both Castela and Aragão.

On the religious front, the interdict against Portugal was lifted in 1215 as a result of the Portuguese contribution to the defeat of the Muslim army at the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, and D Alfonso II promise to restore the Catholic Church’s position and privilege in Portugal. But in 1220 he was excommunicated when he failed to follow through on his promises. It was only following his death that it was rescinded.

D Alfonso II also became embroiled in a dispute with his siblings especially his sisters Contança, Branca and Malfada whom his father had left several estates and castles. He resented the loss of revenue from these lands and it took the intercession of his brother the Duque of Leão on their behalf for them to receive their estates. On a conciliatory note none of the three sisters ever had issue and the estates returned to the crown following their deaths.

2rainhaddulce.jpg
On the subject of D Afonso II own matrimony and children, he and his wife Contança of Aragão had a total of four children which survived infancy. He was married in 1198 at the age of 13 but the marriage was only consummated in 1202 when Contança came to live in Coimbra. Their first child Infante Sancho was born in 1204. In 1206 their second son Infante Afonso was born, followed by their only daughter Leanor born in 1207. Lastly after four miscarriages and one still born, Infante Fernando was born in 1212.

Following the defeat of the Almóada Dynasty and the threat of invasion dissipated D Afonso II sought suitable mates for his children. In 1224 Sancho IV of Castela and D Afonso II agreed to the marriage of Infanta Isabela, youngest daughter of Alfonso VIII of Castela and sister of Sancho IV of Castela to Portuguese Infante Sancho. This marriage solidified Castela relationship with all its neigbours. As Sancho IV of Navarre had married Infanta Berquela of Castela in 1190 and James I of Aragão was married to Urraca of Castela in 1214.

In regards to D Afonso II second son Infante Afonso, he was married in 1226 to Beatrice of Savoy daughter Thomas I of Savoy. Following the marriage he became the Duque of Silves.

As for Sancho IV of Castela he had married Isabella of Angouleme in 1202.

While D Sancho was better remembered for the constant disputes with both the church and his siblings during his reign he concentrated on the country’s administration which he concentrated on himself. He is also credited with creating the first set of written laws mostly dealing with private property, civil justice and minting.

He continued his father’s program of establishing embassies to other European kingdoms outside of the Peninsula Ibérica and also expanding Portugal’s commercial interests with these countries.

In the years following the battle of Navas de Tolosa the Portuguese country was the witness of a renaissance in learning and intellectual as D Afonso II responded to the demands for learning and as a means of providing people with the ability to learn outside of the convents. In 1216 he establishes the University of Salamanca followed in 1227 by the University of Coimbra. Many criticized the expense and lavishness of these institutions and as a means of placating some of the criticisms many of the teaching posts are filled by religious men.

The establishment of these universities provided Portugal with the ability to present Portugal as the center for learning in the Peninsula. Thus taking away some of the growing prestige and importance of Castela which had come to be one of the most intellectual countries of Europe with many works from ancient Greek and Arabic being translated into Latin. In 1224 the University of Burgos was established by Sancho IV of Castela.

On January 2, 1228 D Afonso II, (Portugal’s 3rd King “o filósofo”) died at the age of 42.

iberia1230.jpg

[1]D Sancho had provided Castela with money and supplies but in the eyes of Castela it was not enough.

[2] In iOTL he crossed the strait in 1211 and only brought over about 100,000 to 150,000 men

[3]In iOTL the Christian forces numbered closer to 50,000 to 100,000 while the Almóada army was nearer 200,000. Tension amongst the French Christian forces and Castela’s tolerance of Muslim and Jews living under had caused almost half of them to abandon the Crusade and return back to France.

[4] The Muslim army suffered over 25,000 casualties and 200,000 soldiers were captured the remaining escaped south and were eagerly taken by the surviving Muslim Caliphs to fend off the victorious northern Christian Kingdoms. While the Christians lost close to 8,000 men of which half were knights including many Christian Order knights. In iOTL Muhammad an-Nasir escaped to Marraquexe but was killed the following year and his son Yusuf al-Mustansir succeeded him and delayed the collapse of the Almóada Dynasty by ten years.

[5] iOTL the treaty was strictly between Castela and Aragão and set out the same lines of conquest.

Subscribed. :)

I really like the start you've made, and look forward to seeing more. I would have liked to see Portugal hang on to Seville and Cadiz, especially seeing what effect that could have on things when the Americas are discovered.

As it is, I've always loved the idea of a stronger Portugal, so shall follow this TL with interest.

One remark about the border between Aragon and Castille, since Castille is weaker ITTL couldn't Aragon gain somewhat more territory, in particular more of (the kingdoms of) Valencia and Murcia?

Lusitania

Donor
Subscribed. :)

I really like the start you've made, and look forward to seeing more. I would have liked to see Portugal hang on to Seville and Cadiz, especially seeing what effect that could have on things when the Americas are discovered.

As it is, I've always loved the idea of a stronger Portugal, so shall follow this TL with interest.

It is early in the interaction of the country and you never know what will happen in the future, keep an eye out for new posts.

One remark about the border between Aragon and Castille, since Castille is weaker ITTL couldn't Aragon gain somewhat more territory, in particular more of (the kingdoms of) Valencia and Murcia?

Yes they will but King James was forced to spend a considerable amount of time bringing his nobles in line. For the first 10 years or so after his becoming king he was forced to deal with a considerable amount of insurection from many of his nobles both iOTL and here.

Interesting TL, subscribed!:)

Just a doubt, how are the butterflies affecting Navarre? Could we see them regaining power in the Peninsula of the kingdom was already too weak by that age to annex lands from the neighbours?

Lusitania

Donor
Interesting TL, subscribed!:)

Just a doubt, how are the butterflies affecting Navarre? Could we see them regaining power in the Peninsula of the kingdom was already too weak by that age to annex lands from the neighbours?

The winds of change are abound, for those that remember Blanche the younger sister of the king of Navaree was a widow of with child in Champagne. Here she was childless and remaired the future duque of Leon who was the kings younger son.

Sancho VII of Navaree is still going to get sick and his younger sister is going to be regent how will Castile and Aragon react. Intersting times ahead.

Lusitania

Donor
Reign of D. Sancho II (1228 – 1238[1])

SanchoII-P.jpg
On January 8, 1228 D Sancho II was proclaimed as King of Portugal, Leão, Galiza and Algarve at the age of 23.

The reign of D Sancho II was marred by the continued conflict between the Church Hierarchy in Portugal and the king as well as many nobles. The principle antagonists on the side of the Catholic Church were the Archbishop of Braga Estêvão Soares the most powerful Church leader in Portugal, and the Bishops of Porto and Lisboa Martinho Rodrigues and Soeiro Viegas.

In the later years of his father’s reign, D Afonso II, which due to incapacitation from sickness Infante Sancho was regent this conflict had become more serious with each of the bishops lands and property being attacked by armed knights. In 1229 Archbishop of Braga Estêvão Soares was forced to flee east first to the city of Leão and finally to Castela and his lands and property attacked and many churches doors locked.

In 1230 Pope Gregório IX issued a papal bull against D Sancho II for his actions against the church and its people. In Castela Archbishop of Braga Estêvão Soares attempted to convince Sancho IV of Castela to invade Portugal. Faced with the real possibility of a Crusade against it the Portuguese nobles besiege D Sancho II to end the conflict.

In 1232 D Sancho relented under the constant demands by nobles and merchants to normalize relationship between Portugal and Rome. He signed an agreement with the church promising to take no action against it or its members and property. Archbishop of Braga Estêvão Soares was allowed to return to Portugal having been unsuccessful in his attempts to sway Castilian to attack Portugal. For the next two years the country lived an uneasy truce, but the situation quickly escalated with armed knights and bandits running rampant throughout the kingdom.

Over the previous two decades before the start of D Sancho II reign the country’s economy had been suffering due to smaller harvests and increased food prices which had resulted in increased hunger and despair. Government revenues had decreased and subsequently plunged the country into great difficulty. The rampart pillaging and destruction of estates and farms added enormously to the misery the country suffered.

Many properties belonging to church were attacked with several estates belonging to the Bishops of Leão, Vigo and Badajoz as well as Braga, Porto and Lisboa destroyed and plundered. In 1236 D. Soeiro Viegas called for armed struggle against the illegal actions of the king and his excommunication. D Sancho II responded by proclaiming an order prohibiting the Bishop of Lisboa to build any monasteries, churches or chapels.

Later that year Pope Gregório IX excommunicated D Sancho II, advising the country to choose a new king. A defiant D Sancho II rallies an army and marched south against the Bishop of Lisboa who too was gathering an army of knights belonging not only to the religious orders but also many of the noble houses of the country.

On their way south D Sancho II forces clash with Bishop of Lisboa forces near the city of Santarém but each side withdraws and awaits further orders. Before D Sancho II can order his troops south he is forced to return to Coimbra when news arrives of a second armed forced marching south from Leão.

From October 1236 to March 25, 1237 D Sancho II feeling completely isolated politically and military barricades himself in Coimbra while the country descends into anarchy. On December 2 the Duque de Leão raised an army of close to 20,000 soldiers and knights including knights from several religious orders and secures Leão and Galiza. Over the next six months he receives the support of most Portuguese, Galizan and Leonese nobles and comes to control all lands north of the Rio Douro.

On March 10 he marched east and attacked several hundred Castilian soldiers and nobles who had invaded Portugal hopping to take advantage of the countries anarchy. The Portuguese drive the Castilian east and secure the border from future attacks.

In the south the Duque of Silves, D Sancho II younger brother takes up the cause of the country and secures most of the south. In February 10 he meets with his younger brother Infante Fernando at Badajoz and secures his support. Infante Fernando stays in Badajoz to guard against possible Castilian attack while the Duque of Silves marched north securing Beja, Setubal and Almada before crossing the Rio Tejo and securing Lisboa on March 30. His plans to move north against his brother are disrupted when news reaches him of the disposition of the king and his recognition of Afonso as regent.

4rainhadisabela.jpg
When D Sancho II married Isabela of Castela in 1224 there had been much hope that the marriage would give Infante Sancho some stability and strength since his teenage years had been plagued by indecision and several questionable exploits with several noble ruffians. At first the marriage did provide Infante Sancho with some stability and it was hoped it would produce several children to secure the lineage. But after two miscarriages Isabela grew sick and D Sancho mood changed as he lost his wife’s influence. When he ascended to the throne hope once again abounds in the land as the queen was once again pregnant[2].

On June 1 1228 Infante Pedro was born but the pregnancy was a terrible strain on the queen and she is confined to bed for almost a year. In 1232 she once again miscarriages, and for the next three years is sick most of the time and spends much of her time confined to bed or resting. In 1235 she miraculously makes what seems to most a full recovery and once more in 1236 at height of the political and civil war becomes pregnant.

When D Sancho II returned to Coimbra and barricaded himself in the city from his enemies, maneuvers were set in motion to allow him to abdicate in favour of his seven year old son Infante Pedro. But D Sancho II opposed any plan that would see him give up the throne. On March 10 disaster besets the city of Coimbra and the besieged Portuguese government, as plague hits the city. Hopes for those in the castle evading the plague were dashed with them besieged in the city and the country revolting against them. On March 19 the plague made its way into the castle and on March 22 the Queen and Infante Pedro as well as half the court are infected.

On March 25 the king’s will to live and any hopes for the future were dashed with the death of both his pregnant wife and heir. D Sancho II entered into a catatonic state which he never recovered. Couriers were sent from the city to the various forces through the land reaching the Duque of Silves and the Duque de Leão in the following month.

The Duque of Silves never marched north to Coimbra deciding instead to stay in Lisboa and govern the country as regent for his incapacitated brother. On April 25 the Duque de Leão, D Pedro, arrives recognizing his nephew D Afonso, the Duque of Silves as the heir to the throne and regent of the country.

On July 20, 1237 the city of Coimbra is opened again as the plague has died itself off. Over 3,500 people had died, almost one quarter of the population. On August 25 the Duque of Silves ordered the movement of the Portuguese capital from Coimbra to Lisboa. His incapacitated brother is left in Coimbra.

On February 2, 1238 D Sancho II, (Portugal’s 4th King “o capelo”) died at the age of 33

[1]In iOTL his reign lasted an additional 10 years more in part because he distracted people with the reconquista but here there is no reconquista making his problems more acute.

[2] In iOTL Sancho III never had any issue, and when he married he married a Castilian lady, Mecia Lopes de Haro, widow of Alvaro Peres de Castro, and daughter of Lope Díaz II de Haro and Urraca Alfonso de León, an illegitimate daughter of Aldonso IX of Leon. Which upset the country since she was not from a royal family

Lusitania

Donor
Reign of D. Afonso III (1238[1] – 1271)

afonsoiiip.jpg
On February 22, 1238 D Afonso III was proclaimed King of Portugal, Leão, Galiza and Algarve at the age of 31.

In complete contrast to the reign of his late brother, D Afonso III quickly established an iron fist towards banditry and lawlessness that had plagued the country for the last decade. He bestowed privileges on supporters and those who rose up to defend the country. To defend the country and impose law he gave his brother Infante Fernando his former title, the Duque of Silves, and made D Pedro’s second son, Sancho, Conde de Vila Franca[2].

He made peace with the Catholic Church and distributed large amount of land in Estremadura, Huelva and Algarve to the church and religious orders. He founded over one hundred towns especially in the sparsely populated south. He granted privileges to many cities by status and foral rights.

He listened to the people especially the middle class, small proprietors and merchants whom along with the most disadvantaged he protected from abuse and oppression from those in power specifically the nobles and church officials.

In 1244 he convened the country’s first “Corte” which not only had representatives from the nobles and clergy but also the middle class, merchants and commoners. He made laws that restricted the rights and privileges of the nobles and clergy much to their opposition. He also stopped the practice of preventative arrests and required that all charges and arrests be brought to a judge for them to determine the validity of the charges and the method of detention. He installed municipal magistrate (“alcaides”) in all castles and sent judges to the different towns and lands so that all inhabitants in the Kingdom of Portugal would have access to the same legal rights[3].

In terms of taxation and economic development; he negotiated with the commercial class the extraordinary taxes. He helped develop the economy which with peace in the country side recovered greatly as the harvest as well the amount of land under cultivation increased. From northern Europe he brought to Portugal additional settlers. He expanded Portugal’s embassies and amicable trading to additional European countries. In 1245 Portugal established first commercial agreement with Henry III of England, which with other Northern European countries provided Portugal with new markets for its products.

He was recognized as an excellent administrator and completely re-organized the country administration so that it functioned better. He made sure all people including the three main groups Portuguese, Galizans and Leonese all felt part of the country.

In 1258 he established the general Inquirições to investigate the nature of holdings (both noble and church) and to recover whatever had been illegally taken from the crown. The royal commissions were met with much protest by the nobles and churches prelates. Any noble or church official who was found to be is possession of property that did not belong to it was forced to return it to the crown. Many of the prelates would subsequently leave the country when they faced with the prospect of persecution and loss of property.

This along with the with his direct taxation on the churches tithe and granting of municipal rights to towns and cities that challenged the churches powers led to a renewed clash with the Catholic Church. In 1262 he was excommunicated by the Bishops of Leão, Lisboa, Porto, Oviedo and Archbishops of Braga and Santiago de Compostela along with Pope Clemente IV. They had presented a document with 43 charges against D Afonso III. He was accused of stealing money’s earmarked for church expenses as his own, taking the tithe belonging to the bishops and archbishop, forcing clergy to work on defences and imprisoning and executing clergy without authorization of the bishops and archbishops. He was also accused of threatening the lives of the Bishops and Archbishops. Lastly he was accused of allowing Jews to work in government jobs including several administrative positions.

In 1265 the Cortes of Santarém exonerated him of all charges presented by the Bishops and Archbishops. The majority of the Cortes was composed supporters of the king; both nobles and representatives of all other aspect of the country overrode the clergy in a commission and found the church’s allegations baseless.
Pope Clemente IV rejected the Cortes resolution and ordered the excommunication of the king but due to the country size and power as well as the support of the people stopped short of ordering the prohibition on the kingdom in 1270.

D Afonso III was credited with bringing to Portugal the Franciscans and Dominicans much to the dismay of the Portuguese clergy already in the country. These new orders received almost half of the lands given the church in the territories captured by his father and grandfather (Algarve, Estremadura and Huelva.

Navarre and Castela

In the Kingdom of Navarre, Sancho VII of Navarre and his wife Berengaria of Castela finally had an heir and infant son Sancho who was born in 1230, but unfortunately Berengaria of Castela died during the childbirth. With Sancho VII of Navarre health deteriorating due to an ulcer he retired from public life in 1232 and his youngest sister, Branca the Duchess de Leão was appointed as regent much to chagrin and resentment of kings of Castela and Aragão[4].

In Castela, the 25 year old Henrique I of Castela had succeeded his father, Sancho IV of Castela in the preceding year. He along with most Castilians was suspicious of Portuguese intentions. While in Aragão they viewed Navarre as an integral part of Aragão and feared a play for the throne of Navarre by both Portugal and Castela. In 1235 Sancho VII of Navarre died leaving the kingdom in the hands of his sister. The five year old Infante Sancho was proclaimed Sancho VIII of Navarre on October 10, 1235.

Right from the time Sancho VIII of Navarre became king both Castela and Aragão attempted to get Branca the Duchess de Leão dismissed as regent but with the support of the Navarre nobles she remained regent till her death in 1239, leaving the nine year old Sancho VIII of Navarre alone. A flurry of diplomatic and intrigue between the three countries occurred over the next three months but on January 15 1240 the Duque de Leão, Sancho VIII of Navarre uncle was proclaimed as regent. Navarre nobles supported the appointment of the regent as the best means of maintaining Navarre independence.

Matters stayed tense but stable for the next seven years. In 1247 Sancho VIII of Navarre was married to Yolanda of Aragão, daughter of James I of Aragão. Yolanda was one year older than Sancho but they seemed to getting along. On June 27 1248 Sancho VIII of Navarre along with his wife died in an accident while they travelled on the way to Barcelona to visit her family. The royal carriage slid into an embankment when part of the road collapsed and they died from their injuries. Yolanda of Aragão died immediately while Sancho VIII of Navarre survived for two days before succumbing to his injuries.

The kingdom of Navarre was left without any direct male heir, and the closest living descendent was son of the Regent of Navarre. The Duque of Leão oldest son, Garcia who was living in the city of Leão administering the duchy on behalf of his father became the next in line for the throne of Navarre. On August 10 he left Leão with an escort and made his way across Leão to the Castela border and proceeded crossing Castela on his way to Navarre when he and his party were seized in the Castilian city of Burgos.

The actions of Henrique I of Castile plunged the Peninsula into a bloody four way tug of war for control of the kingdom of Navarre. Henrique I claimed the throne of Navarre and invaded the country attempting to enforce his claim. James I of Aragão campaigning in the Balearic Islands attacking the last island still under Muslim control Ibiza after seizing the two larger islands in the preceding years (Mallorca 1244 and Menorca 1246) responded to the Castilian invasion by attacking Castela as well as sending a force from Aragão to Navarre to defend the country as well as advance his own claim to the throne. In Navarre the regent rallied the nobles and people and set about defending the kingdom from Castela.

In Portugal D Afonso III responded to the seizure of Garcia and the invasion of Navarre by calling out the Portuguese army and marching east into Castela. On October 15 the Portuguese and Castilian armies met in the hills surrounding the Castilian city of Burgos. D Afonso III led a Portuguese army of 34,000 soldiers against the Castilian army of 28,000 led by Henrique I of Castela.

When news of Portugal’s invasion reached Henrique I of Castela who was besieging Pamplona he was forced to lifted the siege and marched west with his troops. On October 10 his forces crossed the overflowing Rio Ebro with some difficulty and continued west towards Burgos. The Castilian forces arrived at Padernales where the Portuguese were waiting on the 15th at noon. D Afonso III did not wait for the Castilian to array themselves choosing instead to launch an all out attack spearheaded by 10,000 knights from both the military orders as well as nobility. The Castilians were unable to absorb the attack and were pushed back. The battle continued once sided with the Castilians being pushed back and large portions of the Castilian army being surrounded. In the battle Henrique I of Castela was wounded but along with some of his knights was able to escape but the majority of his army was killed or captured including many Castilian nobles and/or their sons.

A wounded Henrique I of Castela sought refuge in the nearby city of Burgos but with the loss of his army the Castilian’s were in no shape to resist. When D Afonso III besieged the city and castle Henrique I of Castela afraid his kingdom becoming partitioned between his enemies requested terms. On November 1, 1248 the Treaty of Burgos was signed between the two countries. It was the single biggest defeat the Castilians had suffered since the battle of Battle of Alarcos. On December 15 when the two monarchs met with King James I of Aragão Castile in the city of Pamplona where Castela was once again punished by having to cede more territory to Aragão.

In the south James I of Aragão had landed in Murcia on October 1 and he and his army fresh from the victory liberating the last lands of the Balearic Islands from the Muslims. One week after the defeat on Henrique I of Castela in the north, Murcia fell to the Aragonese.

The Treaty of Burgos forced Castile to recognize the Kingdom of Navarre independence it also forced Castile to turn over almost all of its territory north of the Rio Ebro to Navarre. The Portuguese received over 20 border towns and castles along the Portuguese-Castilian border south of the Rio Douro as well as Castela was forced to give Portugal all lands south of the Rio Guadalquivir including Seville and Cadiz. In the case of Aragão Castile was forced to cede almost half of Murcia. In turn Portugal turned over all captives and promised to provide Castela with a force of 15,000 or the cost of maintaining one for a period of ten years to help in its reconquista. It also stipulated that Portugal would maintain its borders and not seek out any new territories on the Peninsula. Garcia along with all other Portuguese was released.

On November 30 Garcia IV of Navarre was crowned king to the joyous cheers of the people and noble of the country for not only had their independence been guaranteed but their kingdom grown in stature and size. In Portugal, his brother Sancho the Conde de Vila Franca became the heir to the Duchy of Leão while his youngest brother, Fernando, became the Conde de Vila Franca.

The Castilian recovered from their defeat and set about expanding their country again. In 1253 with the help of the Portuguese expeditionary force under the command of the 22 year old Infante Dinis, Henrique I of Castela defeated the last Muslim kingdom on the Peninsula. Battle of Teba pitted the Portuguese army of 15,250 knights and infantry under the command of Infante Dinis on the right, while Sancho IV of Castela and his army of 19,000 knights and infantry defeated an equal sized Muslim army under the command of the Mohammed I ibn Nasr, the first Sultan of Granada. The battle swayed back and forth for over four hours until finally the Christians won a slim victory. With both sides equally exhausted, Henrique I of Castela tired and in pain agreed to meet with Mohammed I ibn Nasr, the Sultan of Granada and made peace with Granada in exchange for some concessions.

The battle marked the end of official opposition to Christian for as part of the peace treaty between Granada and Castela. Mohammed I ibn Nasr gave up almost a third of the Emirate of Granada to Castela and promised to pay a yearly tribute to it, thus for all intensive purposes, becoming a vassal of Castela.

Following the Battle of Teba, Infante Dinis informed Henrique I of Castela that since Castela was done with its reconquista, Portugal’s treaty obligations were complete. He bid his farewell to the visibly upset Castilian king and gathered his knights and infantry and marched west back to Portugal.

When he left the king of Castela he first went to the pavilion of the Sultan of Granada and informed him that he had three months to release all Christian slaves and turn them over to the Portuguese otherwise Portugal would return to savage the country and no amount of help from Castela would save it. So cowed was Mohammed I ibn Nasr by the presence and threat of Infante Dinis that when he returned back to Granada he hastily turned over 20,000 Christians (both slaves and free) and sent them to Portugal.

In 1255 Henrique I of Castela died and was succeeded by his oldest son Infante Fernando, on July 15 1255 Fernando III was proclaimed King of Castela and Toledo.

Family Ties

5beatriceofsavoy.jpg
D Afonso III was married to Beatrice of Savoy, daughter of Thomas I of Savoy in 1226 at the age of 20[5]. After the marriage he was made the Duque of Silves by his father and subsequently moved there with his new wife. There he stayed governing all Portuguese lands south of the Monchique Mountains and raising his family till his rise to power in 1238. When he became king he brought both his wife as well as his seven surviving children north to Lisboa the new Portuguese capital. His oldest was Infanta Teresa born in 1227 who had been followed by Infanta Sancha born in 1228. When D Afonso III became king in 1238 he recognized his oldest son Infante Dinis born in 1230 as the heir to the Portuguese throne. In addition to the oldest three children, D Afonso III and Queen Beatrice also had three other children born in Silves. Infante Afonso was born in 1232, Infanta Maria was born in 1234 and Infanta Sancha was born in 1235. After becoming king, Infante Roberto was born in 1240 in Lisboa.

On the matter of matrimony Portugal, Castela and Navarre once more tried to reduce their tension and create a more stable political environment. In 1250 Infante Fernando of Castela (future Fernando III of Castela) was married to Infanta Maria of Portugal. In 1252 Infanta Eleanor of Castela is married to the widowed Garcia IV of Navarre. In 1255, two months before Henrique I of Castela died his youngest daughter Urraca was married to Infante Dinis. Thus once again Castela reinforces its ties with the other Christian kingdoms.

On July 21, 1271 D Afonso III, (Portugal’s 5th King “o algarvino”) died at the age of 64.

iberia1271.png

[1]In iOTL His reign started in 1248 and ended in 1279, here since he is four years older and his brothers reign is much shorter his overall reign is longer but just different times

[2] In iOTL Infante Fernado died out in 1233 and D Pedro had never achieved any greatness so both dukes would not of existed.

[3] In iOTL the first court happened 10 years later

[4] Major change “In iOTL he never had issue and his sister Branca had been married in France and had one child who enherited the throne, no Castile or Aragon involvement.

[5] In iOTL Afonso not having many prospects in Portugal had married Matilde, heiress of Boulogne, thus becoming Count of Boulogne. When he became king he abdicated from the county of bologna and divorced Matilde. He had no living issue with Matilde. He married D Beatrix of Castile and their children were only born in the 1250s and 1260s. Thus when D Afonso III died in 1279 D Dinis was only 18 here he will be closer to forty.

Last edited: