沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

Considering China's young democracy, we could have something that quite a few people would fear happen after the Shanghai Attacks be democratic backsliding.

Will there be a Free Tibet movement ITL? And will it grow once Chinese relations to the West deteriorates, due to them not joining the coalition against Afghanistan?

Will there be a Free Tibet movement ITL? And will it grow once Chinese relations to the West deteriorates, due to them not joining the coalition against Afghanistan?
On that note, I could see worries about democratic backsliding being quite common in the West with said deterioration of relations.

I feel like the Free Tibet Movement would become like the Quebec Separatist Movement. The Tibetans aren't exactly oppressed, but they raise concerns about Chinese cultural dominance threatening local Tibetan tradition and culture, hence you do see a rise in Separatist Parties in local elections, similar to the Parti Quebecois (As well as the PQ predecessor groups such as the Rassemblement pour l'Indépendance Nationale and the Mouvement Souveraineté-Association) and Bloc Quebecois.

However, in terms of Tibetan Separatism being a threat to China, I think they would have a similar impact to Quebec Separatism, with most Tibetans preferring to stay in China, just like how most Quebecers voted to stay with Canada.

Last edited:
I feel like the Free Tibet Movement would become like the Quebec Separatist Movement. The Tibetans aren't exactly oppressed, but they raise concerns about Chinese cultural dominance threatening local Tibetan tradition and culture, hence you do see a rise in Separatist Parties in local elections, similar to the Parti Quebecois (As well as the PQ predecessor groups such as the Rassemblement pour l'Indépendance Nationale and the Mouvement Souveraineté-Association) and Bloc Quebecois.

However, in terms of Tibetan Separatism being a threat to China, I think they would have a similar impact to Quebec Separatism, with most Tibetans preferring to stay in China, just like how most Quebecers voted to stay with Canada.
I agree with you here but I also feel the need to point out that the Quebecer-to-Canadian ratio is far more balanced than the Tibetan-to-Han ratio.

I agree with you here but I also feel the need to point out that the Quebecer-to-Canadian ratio is far more balanced than the Tibetan-to-Han ratio.
Tibetans make up like 0.005% of the Chinese population.
According to the Seventh Census of 2020, there are 7,060,700 Tibetans living within China. Of the resident population of the Tibet Autonomous Region, 3,204,700 were Tibetans and other ethnic minorities, of whom 3,137,900 were Tibetans, an increase of 421,500, or 15.52%, over 2010, with an average annual growth rate of 1.45%; 66,800 were other ethnic minorities, an increase of 26,300, or 64.95%, over 2010, with an average annual growth rate of 5.13%; and 6,680 were other ethnic minorities, an increase of 26,300, or 64.95%, over 2010, with an average annual growth rate of 5.13%. The average annual growth rate was 5.13%.[20][21]
7 million out of 1.4 billion?

There has been a Free Tibet movement since the 1950s, and there has been increased interest in it among Westerners.
On that note, I could see worries about democratic backsliding being quite common in the West with said deterioration of relations.
Yes.

Openly separatist parties are illegal, but parties arguing for greater autonomy are not. Currently the KMT-aligned Tibet Improvement Party controls the government in Lhasa, but it is losing its grip as younger Tibetans largely don't support the party.