A True and Better Alamo: The Battle For Wake Atoll

Great update I like your style of story telling. how far do you plan to take this timeline, cause I see the "Mothra" of All butterflies FUBARING Japans Plans & timetables beyond repair. The shoe string is mighty frayed! :cool:

Keeping that number of vessels on station semipermanently is going to be tough. How do they refuel? Even reloading ammuntion would be fun.

How much HE did the cruisers have? Several fights had Japanese warships unable to do a proper job of landing support because most of their ammo was armour piercing.

Was this the case here? And if they dont have a whole bunch of armour piercing, theyre going to be in sore trouble if the USN does show up.

Two questions

1 - What operations are the Japanese NOT carrying out because of the extra delay and losses at Wake?

Given just how limited the total resources available were and the emphasis on moving units from one conquest to the next quickly there has to be problems developing with the overall war plan. Bigger problems than Wake's OTL longer than expected survival caused.

Wake OTL cost two Japanese destroyers at five hundred men each and held up the forces present for longer than expected. It also fell the same day the Japanese landed as I understand it.

Wake TTL has already cost several times that and now the Japanese are laying on a siege. Where did these forces go OTL and how much trouble is their not being available going to cause?

2 - From the title of the timeline I am assuming Wake WILL fall eventually, just after becoming even more of a symbol of defiance "Remember Wake!" as the WWII version of "Remember the Alamo!"

Or am I mistaken?

A very good story, well put together and the butterflies are starting to gather.

My queries regard holding the Soryu and Hiryu in the area. They are by this time probably getting down on stocks of aircraft armaments, as well as having lost a few aircraft between the Pearl Harbour attack and operations against Wake itself.

This might make for an interesting engagement if an American relief force was to turn up with two or three carriers ....

Keep up the great work, looking forward to more!

Seige...

A seige, of course, implies beseiging forces. This will become a submarine magnet.

If the carriers are kept in the area, it's a chance for a sub to get lucky and sink (or with American torpedoes, damage or hit with a dud) a flat-top. For that mater, enough atacks, successful or not, and the admirals will be very worried about the sub threat.

If the carriers are NOT kept in the area on a regular basis, there's a chance for an American carrier raid to trim down the Japanese surface forces.

B-17's might be able to fly far enough to airdrop supplies onto the island. Is this possible?

If a seige gets going, the possibility of slipping things in and/or out by 4-piper destroyer, or submarine, is also an option.

You have a VERY interesting timeline going!

I can see the commander played by the Duke ;)

Only if it is made after the war, during the war the Duke is the plucky Lieutenant on the front lines leading charges. And someone like Robert Montgomery is the commander. Quite a bit like the did in "They Were Expendable", then someone like Ward Bond would be the Gunny that helps keep Duke alive for the next movie. :D

Isn't the big problem with keeping the Soryu and Hiryu near Wake for even just another day or two their lack of oil?
My thoughts, too. IIRC fuel supplies were a major factor in the decision to pull back from Pearl Harbor, and some of the destroyers made it back on fumes. What's the situation here?

My thoughts, too. IIRC fuel supplies were a major factor in the decision to pull back from Pearl Harbor, and some of the destroyers made it back on fumes. What's the situation here?

That it was. The commander of that group specifically told the invasion commander he'd only get 2 strikes on Wake before av gas ran out...

That it was. The commander of that group specifically told the invasion commander he'd only get 2 strikes on Wake before av gas ran out...

Interesting? You wouldn't happen to know where you heard/read this would you? Not trying to be condescending FYI, just it hasn't come up in any of my research.

From what I've read, the problem wasn't avgas per se but rather, the fact that the Japanese carriers were needed elsewhere. High Command wanted to allocate only 1 strike before having Carrier Division 2 depart. However Inoue countermanded that and managed to ensure that Carrier Division 2 would remain for the duration of the combat.

The next part will deal primarily with the American reaction, before moving to the Japanese reaction and subsequent events. As for how this altered battle of Wake affects things...y'all will just have to stay posted.

Last edited:
snip

The next part will deal primarily with the American reaction, before moving to the Japanese reaction and subsequent events. As for how this altered battle of Wake affects things...y'all will just have to stay posted.

Ok I will wait for now sir, BUT I will demand more as soon as you can provide your fans and followers. :D