AH Challenge: June 29, 1914 - Prevent WWI

The assassination of Archduke Frank Ferdinand, heir to Austria-Hungary at the hands of the Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip was the spark that kicked off the most ruinous war to date. While many geopolitical factors were already in motion, and to some degree, unavoidable, to lead the great powers of Europe to war, the assassination is commonly seen as the start of World War I.

Franz Ferdinand breathed his last on June 28, 1914. For your challenge - you take the role of the ruler of a European great power at midnight, June 29, 1914.

First, who do you pick? What one person has the most influence to prevent the war? Kaiser Wilhelm? Tsar Nicolas? Some other politician or ambassador? Is there anything any single person can do to prevent the war? If not, can you limit it to a localized conflict rather than a globe-spanning war?

The only way would be to take over whoever is really running Serbia (IDK how much power the king had) and agree to the Austrian terms. Anything less and they would go to war I think.

kham_coc

Banned
The Russian Czar, "we do not defend anarchic terrorists" and then proceed to tell any Russians who disagree that A) time is on Russias side so why rock the boat, and B) this is an autocracy get in line or I have a retirement resort in siberia you can visit.

Some other politician or ambassador?
Tisza holding out longer for a peaceful settlement.
Bethmann-Hollweg pushing back against von Moltke on the need for war now not later.
Albert Ballin reporting back that the Brits will absolutely fucking go us if we attack another country.

To Franz Joseph or however was top guy on Austro-Hungarian government and give more agreeable terms to Serbia.

To Franz Joseph or however was top guy on Austro-Hungarian government and give more agreeable terms to Serbia.
How does that help? A-H were going to reject them no matter what Serbia agreed to. Everyone except Germany and A-H wanted a negotiated settlement. Germany deliberately ran interference so that A-H had cause to wipe Serbia off the map. Germany didn't want to have Serbia treated as an equal with A-H simply by having negotiations as this was beneath A-H's dignity.

How does that help? A-H were going to reject them no matter what Serbia agreed to. Everyone except Germany and A-H wanted a negotiated settlement. Germany deliberately ran interference so that A-H had cause to wipe Serbia off the map. Germany didn't want to have Serbia treated as an equal with A-H simply by having negotiations as this was beneath A-H's dignity.
If Germany said no, would Austria still threaten war against Serbia?

As early as possible in the crisis, have Austria-Hungary, Conrad via order of F-J volunteer its military assumptions - it will implement Plan B, the war plan focused on Serbia while guarding against Russia, and it assumes, in line with the German Blank Cheque that German will move forcefully in the east to cover Austria-Hungary's back in the assumed event of Russia moving on Austria-Hungary.

Ask if that matches in detail with German staff plans or if any adjustments need to be made, or if, in light of the risks Germany is running for Austria-Hungary in light of the alliance, there are any additional reciprocal measures the German staff feels Austria-Hungary should make in assistance to Germany.

When this line of inquiry gets the Germans to reveal they are throwing nearly everything at France through Belgium, and hardly anything at Russia, the Austrians can let their jaws drop and reconsider if weltkrieg is such a great idea or if the odds are so great after all. Or if they think trying their luck at an international conference or getting some kind of halt in Belgrade deal could be worked out short of 'the big one'.

TLDR- Germany and Austria tell each other their military plans up front, and consider if they each still like what they see.

OTL had all sorts of bad timings - like the Kaiser going on vacation - that can be leveraged to slow down, rather than accelerate, the escalation.
Once it's slow enough, Austria will grow fearful and have to lose face and accept a compromise settlement.
Or make Austria just go to War, blundering, as the European mood still favors it, and give Serbia a thrashing. It'll be bad for them, but it most likely prevents WW1.

I am Cousin Willy. On 1 July I undergo a spine insertion, then tell F-J and Conrad they are on their own and the Great General Staff to cool it. Then I discover my inner Otto and call for a Great Power conference to resolve the crisis. All of this is my usual tongue in cheek, but I do believe that Willy and his government could do more to stop the sleepwalking into catastrophe than any other player in the game.

I'm Poincare and, after consultation with Viviani, I make clear to Nicholas II in no uncertain terms that there is no defense for one government bumping off a leading figure in another. France stands with Austria.

I am the Pope, and I treat everyone who wants to participate in such silly war with an irrevocable excommunication.

I'm Poincare and, after consultation with Viviani, I make clear to Nicholas II in no uncertain terms that there is no defense for one government bumping off a leading figure in another. France stands with Austria.

There was a second "blank check", which has been memory holed, when French President Poincare and Prime Minister Viviani visited St. Petersburg during the July crisis. We still don't know exactly what their conversations with Russian officials consisted of. We do know that they did nothing to prevent a war, and while Viviani did not want war, Poincare was both brilliant and one of the few people in power in any capitol who definitely did want a war.

I agree that Russia backing Serbia was the key event, because although the unpopular Russian government feared getting even more unpopular if they backed down, backing down would only have resulted in a loss of faith. Germany would have diplomatically been completely isolated if it had not backed Austria-Hungary. But I'm not sure if it was really Nikolai II's call, or if the hardliners in the Russian government wouldn't have found a way to remove him. But I think Russia backs off if the French had made it clear that this was the wrong diplomatic crisis to take a stand on. And Poincare was key on this because he was the most hardline politician in France.

If you want another single person, Edward Grey is a possibility. He ran British foreign policy unsupervised, the last Foreign Secretary to do so (and there was a reason why he was the last one). He could have pulled back the French with a firmer line that Britain was sitting this one out, or prevented the invasion of Belgium by Germany with a firmer statement of support for France. Either course would have been better than what happened. But Grey could have prevented a world war, but not a war between the Teutonic powers and Germany, so I think Poincare was in a more critical position.

One reason I leave out the two Central Powers is that Germany and Austria-Hungary both had very decentralized governments, they were both after all sort of federations. In fact, a big problem both countries had in 1914 was that they took a long time to coordinate policy within the Germany and Dual Monarchy governments, and part of the governments would undercut the other. If I had to take one person or one position in the Central Powers, it would have been the Germany army chief of staff (Molkte the Younger). Someone ASOPed back into that position could have not undercut the other parts of the German government to diffuse the crisis, and could have called off the invasion of Belgium and remained on defense in the West. This probably at least limits the war, at least in 1914.

Aim to speed up the escalation so that you get a shorter war over by chrismas 1914 with a lenient peace. Say Serbia loses soem territory, an independent poland is made out of russian/austrian/german territory and the ottomans are partitioned.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The Kaiser.

The Austrians don't have the capability to handle the Russians on their own and they know it.

Willie Boy tells them to take nine out of ten as a massive win, aloso tells them that if the want to strap on the Tsar he wishes them luck and he'll dend a very beautiful flower arrangement to their funeral.

Second best is the Tsar. Nicki tell the Serbs that a million Russians aren't going to die because they can't keep their own secret police in check. He promises by an even larger flower arrangement and 1,000 masses to be said for the souls.

Mind...

This doesn't prevent WW I. It simply delays it until some other incident comes along. Europe was past due for its regular generational multiple major power war.

First, who do you pick? What one person has the most influence to prevent the war? Kaiser Wilhelm? Tsar Nicolas? Some other politician or ambassador? Is there anything any single person can do to prevent the war? If not, can you limit it to a localized conflict rather than a globe-spanning war?

Easiest thing that comes to mind is if Austrian Foreign Minister Berchtold decides on June 29th that he wants to use the attack to leverage the Hungarians (Tisza) into large military spending increases rather than seeking confrontation with Serbia. Given the mood in Vienna, it is probable that both the Austrians and the Germans could have pushed through large military increases. This variant has the advantage that it does not require a leader in one camp to 'cross over' to the other side, or for one ally to fail to support their ally.

I am the Pope, and I treat everyone who wants to participate in such silly war with an irrevocable excommunication.
Let's look at the possible effects.
  • Nicholas is Orthodox, and does not recognize the Pope. No effect.
  • Wilhelm is Lutheran. Ditto.
  • Prime Minister Grey is Church of England. Ditto. And for good measure, Great Britain is on the sidelines since Belgium has not yet been threatened.
  • The civilian heads of France are nominally Catholic, but France is undergoing a change from a Catholic nation to a secular nation, so it's debatable how much influence the Pope would have over any of them.
  • Italy is also on the sidelines, so the threat of excommunication, although likely to be taken seriously, is moot.
  • Of all the heads of state, Franz Josef alone appears to be in a position to do something positive and thus avoid excommunication and the war. He could, in theory, rein in his ministers to dictate less stringent terms to Serbia--or at least try to. If he had not been able to do so, likely his confessor would have been able to present a case to the Holy See that FJ did everything humanly possible but essentially got run over, so no excommunication.