AH Movies for the Mainstream

Don't bother with filling in loads of background. I hate books/film where the plot is little more than an exscuse too while out some theory or proponenet but they won't admit this. Its alright as long as you know from the get go that the characters are simply their too illustrate some greater point.

They should just set it in some ATL but don't make the point that its just an ATL. Have a good story set in ATL and don't bother explaining it in detail, most people won't care if they came expecting too see a proper story and the only the pissant Granuaid and Newsnight critics will be the ones who appreicate it.

Say have love story set in an ATL Germany where the U.S collapsed as well as the Soviets under military buildup in the early 90's. Don't have characters talk in depth about history that they wouldn't in real life.

Just have them meader about in the script and just have hints everywhere.
On T.V politics debate have a critic say the current German leader is the most financially inept politician since Reagan.
News bullitins are normal except that one that says the Progressive Democratic Communists have won a record 27% of seats in the Greek Election. A Libertarian supporter is told to 'go back to America, *****' by another person.
Just a few more of them and the person who pays attention will peice toghether the main diffences in the ATL from ours and what might have happened but won't have been troubled with details.
The film might get some extra interest because it would have another layer too the story.

Diamond

Banned
I really think The Peshawar Lancers would make a great film. You really don't need a huge amount of background to explain what's different; just have an opening scene before the credits showing 'period settings' (so we can tell its the 19th century) getting blasted with meteors. Roll opening credits, then have your opening scene with a little blurb on the bottom of the screen - '150 years later...'

tetsu-katana said:
No, it's actually about Patton's plan to rearm the Germans to fight the Soviets in 1945. American troops meet the Russians at the Elbe, keep firing, and march on to kick the Soviets out of Germany.
Who wrote it? I looked the title up at Amazon and didn't find it.

They could do an alternate history starting from sometime people lived through, like Kennedy not getting assassinated or the Russian government not falling in 1991.
The problem is, how do you make it nonpolitical? No matter what you do, someone is going to bitch.

I think, AH is still not mainstream enough to succeed as a successful big budget hollywood pic unless either (1) the events are kept very close to the time of the PoD, and the situation is so well known so people can relate to the time period and events, or (2) it is so far removed from the PoD and possibly so fanciful that it can be enjoyed as SF, adventure, or fantasy without any necessary awareness that it is an alternate history.

Examples of #1 would be Fatherland and Guns of the South. Turtledove's, World War series (heavily condensed) might also be a hoot. There would also be a strong tendency to combine this with time travel as in GOTS (and of course the Back to the Future trilogy is perhaps the best exploration of AH in popular cinema). Other possibilities here are personal AH's like A Wonderful Life (maybe something based on the life and career of Hitler the artist!).

Examples of #2 might include Harry Harrison's excreble "Eden" series, or something set in a an obviosuly different present or future. Peshawar Lancers would make a great movie, but I'm just not sure enough people would care about either the PoD or time period for it to succeed.

Man in the High Castle does seem like a good choice because of Dick's current popularity.

Well, what about others like DISASTER AT D-DAY or K IS FOR KILLING ? I reckon movies based on these AH books would be quite doable and enjoyable to a mainstream audience, since most ppl could generally envisage a failed D-Day or an alternate fascist-ruled Amerika of the 1930s. Maybe such popular AH movies would also be along the lines of FAILSAFE ?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Sliding Doors. That had to be the most clear and unambiguous exploration of the concept of Alternate History in modern cinema.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Might we see a movie version of Phil Roth's new book, The Plot Against America? I personally don't think that it will translate to the silver screen very well; the parts that I liked about it would probably get brushed over, and the aspects that I disliked would probably serve as the meat of the plot.

while it's not considered one of the great AH novels on this site, I think 1901 would make a good movie, at least for American audiences... it's a simple POD that could explained at the very beginning, it has lots of battles on land and sea, and it's a nice jingoistic 'America always wins' theme that would appeal to most of the nation...

Yeah i've heard about SLIDING DOORS and its take on AH- it was even mentioned in the intro chapter to 1 AH anthology. However, must admit I never saw it since I thought it was too much of a chick flick...

Brainstorm!

How about expanding L. Sprague De Camp's short story "Aristotle and the Gun"? That might get in some of the sci-fi crowd, as well as the history buffs.

SPOILERS (in case you haven't read it)

Essentially this scientist in NYC invents a time machine that can send him back whenever and where ever he wants for about 96 hours, but gets his funding at the university cut. Incensed, he decided to go back in time to the court of King Phillip of Macedon, pose as an Indian traveller, and show Aristotle the benefits of the scientific method (with a gun and a telescope as visual aids). By doing this, he reasons, Aristotle will start the Scientific Revolution early, and Science will have the respect he deserves. So, he goes back in time, talks to Aristotle, gets his cover blow, exchanges fire with a guard, and is whisked back to the present. Much to his surprise, he discovers that he inadvertantly convinced Aristotle not to study science at all, leaving the world with late medieval technology, and him stranded in Lemuria (North America).

Neroon

Banned
Well i liked both Fatherland and 2009 - Lost Memories. So think the best way would be to go for a selfcontained story within the AH that has now reached present day instead of going for movie that encompasses and entire AH from the POD.
I also like the concept of a fictional documentary. Never got to watch any of those though :mad: .

Harrison's "west of Eden" would be cool, with the dinosaurs, you would have to notice that it's AH, even if not familiar with history.
I'd like to see Conquistador, I think that would work, esp. if you spent some time at the beginning seeing Rolfe go in, and then explain to his buddies.
I would love to see Island in the Sea of Time done, but that's just because it's one of my all time fave!

Two guys from alternate histories fight and the protagonist gets caught up in it. That lets someone explain to the protagonist (and the audience) what is going on.

sbegin said:
Harrison's "west of Eden" would be cool, with the dinosaurs, you would have to notice that it's AH, even if not familiar with history.
I'd like to see Conquistador, I think that would work, esp. if you spent some time at the beginning seeing Rolfe go in, and then explain to his buddies.
I would love to see Island in the Sea of Time done, but that's just because it's one of my all time fave!

Yes, the "Eden" books would work well as a movie, and it might be better than the books, which I though were not all that great. I also thought about Conquistador, but dropped it because I'm not sure its as much an AH book as SF/dimension jumping.

Thande

Donor
Given how people like me raise hell at people adapting existing books for the screen (and changing things, some of which may be necessary changes for it to work as a movie), I think the best option would be to develop a scenario specifically for the film rather than adapting an existing story.

Although if you did adapt a book, I'd like to see:

"The Two Georges" - yes it would bomb in America, but who cares? :)

"The Peshawar Lancers" - yes the Russians would get pissed off, so what? :)

"The Wheels of If" (de Camp) - because it's more left field than most mainstream AHs and has a recognisable science fictiony element (the world shifting) rather than being set entirely in an AH timeline.

THE ONE

of course, there's also THE ONE with Jet-Li, which deals with the concept of parallel universes and alternate realities pretty well...

Then you can also argue that certain popular movies have little AH snippets too- what about Lyle (Seth Green) in THE ITALIAN JOB claiming that he's the REAL Napster, or in ZOOLANDER the conspiracy theories and Mugatu actually being the chief musician in FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD until 1985 ?

what about 'in the presence of mine enemies' by turtledove - and it combines two well known themes - 'nazis win' and the downfall of totalitarian governments in the late 80's. it also has a very good human focus and it doesn't try to achieve too much...

HelloLegend

Banned
There is a novel called REPLAY by Ken Grimwood written in 1988.
It is about a guy who dies of a heart attack in 1988, and wakes up back in 1963, 25 years earlier. He lives the 25 years over again. Then he dies again in 1988, but wakes up two weeks later in 1963. Then dies in 1988.
Next time, he wakes up in 1965, the 1973, each time shrinking the period.

There was a movie deal that had gone to pre production with Brad Pitt rumored to be the main character and Julia Roberts to be the love interest, but then the movie was canned.

I'd really like to see "Resurrection Day" by Dubois, or Guns of the South or Two Georges for that matter. The first and last could be done as "crime story's" with a hell of a twist, IMO.

Though they'd probably screw them up, I'd also like to see the Emberverse done as a miniseries or three.....