AH Title and Description Game

The Mario & Luigi Club: Walt Disney Lives and Discovers Nintendo
A timeline focusing on pop culture and corporate history, whose premise is… completely explained by its exhaustive title. Disney and Nintendo form a close co-operative relationship through the 70s and 80s, with corresponding effects on the cultural landscape. Ranging from partnerships such as the titular Mario & Luigi club, a vast swathe of Disney-branded video games developed by Nintendo, to Disney’s own (ill-fated) project to become a console manufacturer.

Unfortunately, it was not particularly good or well received. Updates were sparse and cursory, only a couple of steps above a ‘Year: Thing happened’ format. It only lasted about a year. However, the thread lasted long beyond that as the discussion took on a life of its own.

A Bang, not a Whimper: A Soviet TL

Antartica, the Final Frontier

A Most Eventful 24 Hours: A TLIAD

A Bang, not a Whimper: A Soviet TL
Taking cues from movies like "Threads" and "The Day After", this timeline covers what would have happened if the Cold War escalated into a full-on nuclear winter. The longer it goes on, the bleaker it becomes, resulting in a content warning in each chapter by the end.
It was simply tear-jerking, but it was meant to.

Let the Fires Rage On: A Woodstock TL

Manifest Destiny of the Stars

The Reign of the Fourth Reich

Manifest Destiny of the Stars
An ASB Timeline where, in the 1890s, a series of meteor crashes all over the world, but especially the western US, brings a strange, almost magical substance to earth, which allows the creation of gravity-defying vessels, allowing exploration of space, as the material also allows those vessels to move (in space) at speeds unheard of previously. More of the material, eventually named Newtonium by scientists, is found on the moon in 1901, which starts a race by the imperial powers (Germany, Britain, France, Russia, Italy, the Ottomans, Austria-Hungary and Japan) to claim as much of the moon as possible, to be able to fuel a larger fleet.

With the greater local deposits, the United States is able to largely bypass the moon entirely, moving towards Mars and the Asteroid Belt. While developing the technology to actually safely operate long-term in space proves difficult, and many lives are lost, the new 'Belt Boom' becomes a repeat of the Old West, for America, which quickly gobbles up most of the Asteroid Belt - which is also rich in Newtonium, as well as all manner of precious minerals and metals. This is the main focus of the TL, the life and times of the Belters, the recycling of the Old West and the Frontier into space.

The focus outwards into a space race, for the rest of the world, has the effect of utterly derailing the path to World War I, especially once Germany pioneers the development of a powerful canon on their moon territory that can fire massive shells, sped up by gravity, at the capitals of rival nations. Other countries manage to develop their own versions quickly, creating a cold-war style stalemate, with conflicts on earth much more low key, and fears of Mutually Assured Bombardment (MAB) keeping the European powers (+japan) from wanting open war between their fleets. The US builds their own moon canon on the small patch of the moon they actually bothered to claim.

The Timeline was largely well-received, though fans of Hard SF were turned off as Newtonium was used to handwave a lot of things, and a loose approach towards what early 20th century science and engineering could do (sometimes very loose) and the focus on the Belt to the expense of the the geopolitical story was annoying to others. Sideplots that were mentioned, but undeveloped include attempts by some Zionists to establish a 'New Israel' on Mars, and the British and French get the bright idea to export unruly colonial populations on earth to brutal labor camps and penal colonies above or on Venus, Deimos and Phobos. The TL ended with the year being 1927. The Belt was becoming a lot less of a wild west as the settlements there were getting larger and more sophisticated and the Navy was better able to police the area, and the last update covered how Serbian terrorists killed the Ottoman Sultan and the Austro-Hungarian Emperor at the time time during a summit between the two for a big showpiece where they signed a treaty hashing out territorial disputes on the Jovian Moons. The author admitted that his original plan was to cover the ensuring war that would break out, with everyone waiting for the first person to have their trigger finger get itchy wrt the moon cannons, but he also admitted he just didn't have the time or inclination to write that part anymore.

Hail Satan! The Rise and Fall of the Black Mass

How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Black Death

Imperial Afterimages: The Legacy of Dutch America

Imperial Afterimages: The Legacy of Dutch America
The title is exactly what it says: TL aboutt the Dutch colony of the New Netherland lasting way way longer and into the 1810's and continung on into 1999, whch also butterflies the USA as a whole. It was decently recieved by readers, with the writer's odd emphasis on folklore and national myths getting praise for its novelty. However, spme citicised it for its rather cynical treatment od certain areas, and yes there is a ton of Native wank in there that doesn't make much sense when you think about it even slihgtly.

Anansi's New Reign: Folklore of West Africa 1700-2000

Botha Can Kindly Piss Off

Last edited:
Exactly what it says: TL aboutt the Dutch colony lasting way way longer and into the 1810's, whch also butterflies the USA as a whole.
Thanks for jumping in, and welcome to the game! However, please note that the 'rules' for this game are a little different from the quote game, the event game, and the cultural description game, primarily with post length. When you've written a mini essay on a TL in a game where paragraph-minimum responses are the norm, it's a little disheartening to see an idea dismissed with one sentence beginning with "Exactly what it says," so please go back and edit in a bit more to this response.

If you're unsure of how this game usually runs, here are a few quotes:
The bolded text, such as
is the title of a timeline posted to this site. You (or any responding poster) give an in-depth discussion of what the timeline was about, ideally including brief synopses of events in the TL itself. As a general rule, multiple sentences are expected, and multiple paragraphs (each with multiple sentences) are preferred.
If you want to get a better feel for how the game flows, just read through past entries; because more time and effort are placed into them, they're usually quite entertaining to read on their own.

And keep in mind that the primary purpose of this game is to have fun. Fun for people writing the prompts, fun for people seeing what is done with their prompts, and fun for anyone lurking. The other games go fast and have lots of short posts; this one goes slower, but has longer posts. The 'rules' are there to make sure that everyone involved has fun, but I'm pretty sure we've all broken them at some point- myself absolutely included.)
Not to stay silent, here at my personal rules for writing a 'good' title and description entry. As stated, this are my own, personal rules, so use them as you please and as far as you want. I am by no means a moderator, even of just this thread. My opinion is only my opinion.

So to start of, a good response should have the following parts:

1) the specifics of the timeline: who wrote it, when and why

2) a brief outline of the timeline: this is the part I myself have the most trouble with as I tend to go into too much detail, outlining every twist. So keep it short for now. You will have plenty of opportunity to revisit the timeline later.

3) a brief critique of the timeline: is the writer knowledgeable or does he struggle with his research? Does he have fresh ideas? Interesting viewpoints? Is his writing technical? Too technical to follow? Literary? Folksy? Or does he struggle with finding the right (English) Words? Doe he use dialogue? Newspaper articles? Wikipedia infoboxes? Personal memoirs or recollection? All of the above?

This part also opens the opportunity to revisit part 2 as you can tell a certain plot twist or viewpoint by explaining HOW the author went along writing this plot twist or viewpoint.

4) the readers response:how was the timeline received. Which parts did the reader like, which got the most feedback, which got the most pushback... Did the story change in reaction to the readers likes and dislikes? Did the readers offer suggestions and if so, which ones did the author adopt?

Again this gives you the opportunity to revisit parts 2 and 3 by introducing new aspects of the plot by describing the readers' reaction to it or by giving specific information about a narrative style by citing examples and thus introducing new elements of the plot

5) the ultimate fate of the timeline: Did it finish, and when ? (or after bow many pages?) Was it abandoned and why? Is it still ongoing and at what pace? And what did the author do afterwards?

Then comes thr competition part: as 'reward' for writing the timeline you can now throw out some 'titles of alternate timelines' for he next writer to play with. I believe for the last couple of years, five 'titles' has become somewhat of a standard (or otherwise anywhere between four and seven). I personally keep a document on my smartphone where I collect new idea for timeline titles as I come across them (along with titles or ideas for various other challenges) so I always have some 'good ones' around to choose from.

As for what in my opinion makes a good title: it should not be too specific, but just enough to give several possible ideas. Then again it should not be so broad it just becomes an empty phrase you can slap it to any timeline you can come up with. For instance: "How Disney made Star Wars Legacy with Buzz Lightyear" is way to specific because there i really only one timeline with that title you can write. "The Light-Year" again is too broad as you can slap it to anything from a Thomas Edison biography to an alternate space race. A good middle ground would be "Buzz Lightyear battles space pirate Hans Zoloft", which could be an alternative 1950's pulp fiction history as well as a slightly different 1988 US election or a copyright court case over a Star Wars parody.

finally: if you are writing the entry, don't be afraid to experiment with layout, fonts and styles. If it helps the readability, all the better

Okay. I went on for much too long again. Then again, this is the thread for long posts. So read it, keep what you like, may be get some ideas but mostly have fun imagining.

The title is exactly what it says: TL aboutt the Dutch colony of the New Netherland lasting way way longer and into the 1810's and continung on into 1999, whch also butterflies the USA as a whole. It was decently recieved by readers, with the writer's odd emphasis on folklore and national myths getting praise for its novelty. However, spme citicised it for its rather cynical treatment od certain areas, and yes there is a ton of Native wank in there that doesn't make much sense when you think about it even slihgtly.

Anansi's New Reign: Folklore of West Africa 1700-2000

Thanks for jumping in, and welcome to the game! However, please note that the 'rules' for this game are a little different from the quote game, the event game, and the cultural description game, primarily with post length. When you've written a mini essay on a TL in a game where paragraph-minimum responses are the norm, it's a little disheartening to see an idea dismissed with one sentence beginning with "Exactly what it says," so please go back and edit in a bit more to this response.
Hey, I liked it. And as for the length. I know the standard is 'at least four paragraphs', or so it used to be mentioned on some challenges. But it should be no ironclad rule. So if you can say everything in less, go for it.

I for once am way too glad about all the traffic and traction this thread has gotten over the last couple of days as to complain about the length of an otherwise well-written article.

Hey, I liked it. And as for the length. I know the standard is 'at least four paragraphs', or so it used to be mentioned on some challenges. But it should be no ironclad rule. So if you can say everything in less, go for it.

I for once am way too glad about all the traffic and traction this thread has gotten over the last couple of days as to complain about the length of an otherwise well-written article.
It was edited; the quote I posted was the entire response.

A South African political TL, with a POD of Pieter Willem Botha never suffering his 1989 stroke and remaining the President and leader of the National Party. As an outspoken opponent of black majority rule, his continued dominance of the government resulted in an even longer and rockier path towards the end of apartheid. The TL would see South Africa come to the very brink of civil war before sanity prevailed. The TL concluded with apartheid ended and a new government taking power, filled with hope but also uncertainty about whether the peace would last.

The TL was sometimes criticized as implausible as the author tipped the scales towards the most dramatic outcome. Their skill at writing drama and mounting tension as the situation deteriorated made such things forgivable, however. Unfortunately the TL would not become famous for its author's skill but the 'Nuts Incident', when several posters spammed the thread with 'Botha deez nuts' jokes until the mods finally banned the lot.

Machiatto Mayhem!

The Republic of the Internet, and other doomed utopias

O, Fortune! Why have you forsaken me? A Roman TL

The Republic of the Internet, and other doomed utopias
With a POD of the millennium, a TL where America Online (AOL) never merges with TimeWarner so the dotcom bubble never bursts so by the mid 2000s, with millions of popular websites, the US passes an act banning inappropriate internet content in US territory so the Republic Of The Internet is formed by the black market but fails alongside side story’s of other failed internet company’s.

The Iron Empress: Thatcher’s Legacy

The Rabbit & Mouse In Hollywood

The Name’s Flop, Box Office Flop

The Rabbit & Mouse In Hollywood
The timeline where Roger Rabbit really did debut in the 1940s, as Disney's answer to the popular Tex Avery cartoons at MGM. It was written with the same style as the Hensonverse, that is to say, with actual dialogue and memoirs.

It was popular enough to complete the timeline, which ended in 1989 with the 45th anniversary of the character.

When Nicktoons Roamed the Earth

Ronald McDonald: The 40th President

Pop Goes the Warner: A WB Dystopian TL

Last edited:
The timeline where Roger Rabbit really did debut in the 1940s, as Disney's answer to the popular Tex Avery cartoons at MGM. It was written with the same style as the Hensonverse, that is to say, with actual dialogue and memoirs.

It was popular enough to complete the timeline, which ended in 1989 with the 45th anniversary of the character.
Nice.

The Revolution Will Be Televised.....

An Animated Adventure!

Universally...Nintendo!!

Kruger's Millions
A TL with a POD of 1899, the start of the 2nd Boar War, in which the Boer are able to defeat the British and keep them out of Transvaal. The TL ends In 2023 as the Boer’s territory now spans over most of the previously Dutch, British, Portuguese & German southern part of Africa.

You Can’t Imply He Murdered Them: A Star Wars Prequel Story

The 507th Pick Of The 1995 Draft: A Montreal Expos Legacy

The Bischoff Buyout

You Can’t Imply He Murdered Them: A Star Wars Prequel Story
A pop culture TL about the tortured production and reception of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace in a world where Phill Lewis was cast as Qui-Gon Jin (amongst other, equally comedic mis-castings).

First Triumvirate Retained

The Perennial Lotus

After Action Reports from the North Africa Area Army

Success With An Unexplained X: An XFL Story
A timeline where the XFL was successful, as Captain Obvious would put it. Sports fans on the AH website have a mixed opinion of it, some liking the changes they made to the Super Bowl to not make it XFL with a different coat of paint (Watch the OTL TV Trash review of XFL for that can of worms.), while others revile the very notion of making Colin Kapernick the face of this particular football league.

A CBS Special Presentation
All Kids Out of the Pool: An Adult Swim TL
Night at the Museum: A Great Britain TL

Night at the Museum: A Great Britain TL
Post-colonial TL where several African countries convince the British Museum to repatriate its artefacts it looted, whicj leads to cascading effects across the former empire.

Loseriana: An Unsucessful Saints TL
Dragon Bones: A Palaeontological History

Last edited:
Dragon Bones: A Palaeontological History
A TL inspired by the fake documentary Dragons: a Fantasy Made Real where it explores how such a discovery of genuine dragon bones and the discovery of how they flew and breathed fire changed the entire history of paleontology, including a huge boost in funding from many sources, leading to advancements and discoveries happening a decade or more sooner, as well as some speculative further discoveries by the author, including the discovery of several other mythical creatures that tuned out to be just extinct megafauna (including Griffins and Unicorns), explained with the same 'science' as the original documentary (i.e very theoretically plausible but contrived and absurd)

The TL was well-recieved for the quality of its characters especially, with several prominent palentologists being recurring and entertaining figures in the story.

The Crafting of War In the Stars: An ASB Timeline

The Borg Take Manhattan: A Crack TL

An alternate history timeline about Black Mass, a heavy metal band that took North America and Western Europe by storm during the 80s. The 80s were a very politically chaotic decade as the economic downturn led to massive protests all across the world, bringing down countless dictatorships in Latin America and Africa as well as several conservative neoliberal governments in the West. The band appealed to the young generation’s sense of anger and resentment over how screwed over they were which allowed them to rise in popularity. They’re satanic imagery made then extremely controversial and almost got them banned by Congress under President Barry Goldwater. The band was able to take the case to court which they won, and was viewed as a victory for the first amendment.

It’s Morbin’ Time: A Pop Cultural Timeline of Dr. Michael Morbius

We’ll Take the Seas At Least: A Majapahit Timeline

You Get What You Deserve: A Donald Rumsfeld Timeline