AHC: A state of Allegheny (western PA, eastern OH)

*Cue someone saying "I can't see any major differences except for some close votes in the Senate"* :D

All joking aside, this is interesting. We know that there were certainly East-West tensions in Pennsylvania during the early Republic, and these lasted well into the modern era. i wonder if *Alleghany would be culturally and politically more inline with Ohio, Indiana and the lower peninsulla of Michigan, while Pennsylvania begins to see itself as more of a Northeastern State.

'In 1782, Hugh Henry Brackenridge, a Pittsburgh lawyer and strong supporter of the national government, convinced the Pennsylvania Assembly to declare that agitation for a separate state was treason.[5] This made promotion of Westsylvania subject to the death penalty'

I vaguely remember this. I can't remember it was from when I was doing my Westsylvania wikibox thing, or when I was researching the ill-fated State of Franklin and related things (like the also ill-fated territory of Transylvania).

Either way, alternate states are a pet subject of mine, so I'm interested to see if anyone has anything to say on this subject.

There is a solid historical reason for Connecticut. It was founded explicitly to be neither MA nor RI. The boundaries are suspect because that little protrusion in the SW should be part of NY but Suffolk county and at least part of Nassau county on LI should be part of CT as they were originally settled from CT, not New York

No doubt the contemporary interest of such a state is that it would have gone for Mondale in 1984 and for Trump in 2016 and 2020--but let's forget this and ask if such a state could actually have been created (it would have to be very early presumably, with the colony of PA much more limited in size than in OTL...)

For the love of all that is holy please take the West Virginia panhandle too. As it is it hurts to look at.

R-TX

Banned
No doubt the contemporary interest of such a state is that it would have gone for Mondale in 1984 and for Trump in 2016 and 2020--but let's forget this and ask if such a state could actually have been created (it would have to be very early presumably, with the colony of PA much more limited in size than in OTL...)

How would this state have voted in every presidential election within the Sixth Party System? What would its House delegation look like in terms of party composition and what would its size be? What about its two senators?

Please, @David T , answer all of my questions for the sake of personal curiousity, as well as writing up an answer to this extremely promising thread.

Last edited: