AHC: Charlemagne conquers Spain...or a good half of it

The challenge is to have Charlemagne conquer Spain, or a big central chunk of it from the Ummayyads. Even more points if it is permanently under the same crown as West Francia ever after.

Deleted member 109224

It's the OTL Spanish March more or less this? I suppose they could push it all the way to the Ebro.

Perhaps they could negotiate a relationship of vassalage and protection from Asturias.

It's the OTL Spanish March more or less this? I suppose they could push it all the way to the Ebro.

Perhaps they could negotiate a relationship of vassalage and protection from Asturias.

Tagus river or bust man, with prolonged integration of Asturias or whatever else is in the north to west Francia.

Tagus river or bust man, with prolonged integration of Asturias or whatever else is in the north to west Francia.

Depending on how big TTL Carolingian Spain will be, you might even see a South Francia. And even when like IOTL still 3 grandsons of Charlemagne end up dividing the Empire, then the borders of Middle and East Francia will also be affected. Middle Francia will probably get a larger share of OTL eastern West Francia (maybe Champagne, Bourgogne), while East Francia in turn would gain some bits of Middle Francia (like for instance Alsace and Frisia (nowadays the Netherlands north of the rivers Rhine and Meuse).

Another timeline in which Portugal does not exist. I guess that the western half of the peninsula (at least) would be more unified.

Another timeline in which Portugal does not exist. I guess that the western half of the peninsula (at least) would be more unified.

This isn't a personal vendetta against Portugal :). Would Iberian conquests be a particularly rich source of loot or tax revenue for Charlemagne?

The problem is that when Charlie dies, whoever inherits this part, stands to be massively attacked by Muslims, either from the unconquered half or the Maghreb. It needs a certain size to be domain unto itself, if need be.

Spain goes Italy.

Alternatively it goes Holy Roman Empire instead.

Centripetal forces might make it divide not entirely different from our Iberia... or fragment entirely.