AHC: Chile goes Haiti

In the last few years, both Chile and Haiti were hit by earthquakes. Both earthquakes caused damage, but whereas the number of victims in Chile numbered in the hundreds and the nation quickly bounced back from the disaster, Haiti's earthquake caused thousand upon thousands of deaths and worsened the situation in an already destitute nation.
The challenge here is, with a POD no earlier than 1850, change the path of these two nations so that, in 2010, Chile ends up with the number of casualties that Haiti had, and Haiti with Chile's. Long story short, reverse their economic and social development.
EDIT: Sorry! I forgot this was post-1900! Very well. The POD moves to 1900.

In the last few years, both Chile and Haiti were hit by earthquakes. Both earthquakes caused damage, but whereas the number of victims in Chile numbered in the hundreds and the nation quickly bounced back from the disaster, Haiti's earthquake caused thousand upon thousands of deaths and worsened the situation in an already destitute nation.
The challenge here is, with a POD no earlier than 1850, change the path of these two nations so that, in 2010, Chile ends up with the number of casualties that Haiti had, and Haiti with Chile's. Long story short, reverse their economic and social development.
EDIT: Sorry! I forgot this was post-1900! Very well. The POD moves to 1900.
Problem is that Chile is and has been an educated almost first world country, while Haiti is a posterchild for a disorganized third world mess.

Fixing Haiti AND totally destroying Chile may be ASB. Either one is probably possible, although pretty tough. Both? With a single PoD? I dont think its possible.

The Vulture

Banned
Have a bunch of foreign countries ride roughshod over Chile, then give them a crazy voodoo baron as a leader to leave a direct legacy of decades of instability and corruption, and you might get it.

Have a bunch of foreign countries ride roughshod over Chile, then give them a crazy voodoo baron as a leader to leave a direct legacy of decades of instability and corruption, and you might get it.

How does that fix Haiti? Doing one or the other is possible. Hard, but possible. Both is ... less so.