AHC: No Apartheid South Africa

AsGryffynn

Banned
With the POD as early as 1887, your challenge is to find a way to avoid Apartheid occurring in South Africa and most importantly, to attempt to predict the short and long term consequences of this.

The easiest route to go with this would be to butterfly away de jure Apartheid by having Smuts win the 1948 general election. As for de facto Apartheid, you could have Gandhi stay in South Africa and start his movements there.

Have the Cape Qualified Franchise spread to the rest of the South African colonies. Or even have a balkanised South Africa, with the Cape maintaining this practice.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but his concerns about the treatment of non-whites did seem focussed on the improvement of 'coloureds' like the Indians.

And then Natal-Orange-Transvaal (or NOT for short) South Africa falls to black liberationist revolution and becomes the Republic of Azania?
Not quite. Instead, either as separate protectorates or Malaya-style leadership.
(I'm also thinking of putting either Maryland Colony or Liberia itself on OTL eastern South Africa, but it needed an earlier POD and a high degree of plausibility).

Last edited:
Not quite. Instead, either as separate protectorates or Malaya-style leadership.
(I'm also thinking of putting either Maryland Colony or Liberia itself on OTL eastern South Africa, but it needed an earlier POD and a high degree of plausibility).

Hehe, that's just my preferred scenario.

Ambitious. Hmm, not really sure how well that would work out.

Smuts wins in 1948, apartheid doesn't become the law, however in practice segregation will be similar to that of southern states in the US. However SA lacks the northern counterpoint so the segregation won't end as soon, and as it isn't as extreme as apartheid was less international pressure will be applied on it. Perhaps they'll be segregated in 2014 perhaps not, but hey, at least no apartheid!1 To get any better results and real integration would require something very drastic, while I don't claim to be an authority on the area I've spent some weeks there in the last decade and the way I see it the integration must be as early as possible, preventing this is the traditional paternalistic behaviour of the whites. Could you manufacture a scenario where the whites would feel threatened by outsiders and feel the real need of the blacks to come and help them fight this threat? Smuts in 1948 is probably already too late for this, something even earlier is required.

A relatively easy one (and one that has been done to death) is have Southern Rhodesia vote to join the Union in 1922. They will probably return South African Party MPs. Although there may be some sort of Dominion Party that will form. This may well see the National party lose in 1924, and will almost certainly butterfly away the Nationalist victory in 1948, which sees no formal apartheid implemented.

Another one is to have greater tensions prior to Union in 1910, which may preclude the Union even forming. This could have all sorts of interesting implications for Southern Africa.