AHC: Powerful Pan-Islamist Bloc By End of 20th Century

What would it take for the major Muslim countries, run by Islamist or Islamist-friendly governments, to create a Pan-Islamist bloc that can at least challenge (probably not outright win in a total war, more like win in a proxy war) the other major alliances like the Warsaw Pact/Comintern and NATO/Western Europe/Imperialist powers with a POD/PODs after 1900? Not only should they be militarily strong, but Islamism should have a lot of support around the Muslim world as a form of soft power. My ideas are below.

I think Egypt, Turkey/Ottomans, Arabia, and Pakistan/a Muslim Indian state are the bare minimum necessary. Iran and other Arab, North African, sub-Saharan, and Southeast Asian states would be welcome as well. At the start of the century, the Ottomans were the only Muslim country I can think of with the industry and military to somewhat challenge a European power, so I think having Turkey in the bloc is a must, not only for the industrial and military capacity, but because otherwise the bloc will become Arab-dominated and that will just be pan-Arabism.

My first major point of concern is whether or not the Ottomans should survive. If they don't, Turkey will likely follow a path like OTL and be hostile to Islamism. If they do, the POD(s) will probably have to make the Young Turk Revolution fail or 1909 countercoup succeed so Abdulhamid II can stay in power and the CUP won't be able to implement secularization and nationalism. A way to have some of the big names like Mustafa Kemal Pasha and Ismail Enver Pasha removed from the equation is have them die in the Italo-Turkish War. With Abdulhamid II in power, the Ottomans will likely not enter WWI and remain relatively stable. On the other hand, Abdulhamid would be seen as part of the old unjust and autocratic system, a symbol of jahiliyyah, by some Islamic modernists and revivalists, as well as all the separatist groups. A constitutional monarchy would be needed and the Islamists rather than nationalists and liberals would have to gain power, or Abdulhamid's successor would have to wholeheartedly support the Islamic revivalist cause. Also, the Ottomans and their Caliphate surviving would undoubtedly butterfly away or drastically change other Islamist movements, conflicts, and individuals down the line, leaving the rest to be way more speculative.

Another thing is the Saudis. Their spread of Wahhabism in OTL has caused a lot of issues with Muslim unity, so a surviving Ottomans could solve that by supporting the more tolerant Rashidis to defeat them. The Rashidis had a history of messy successions, so this could also become favorable later down the line when an Islamist Revolution supported by some members of the royal family could occur during a succession struggle, overthrowing the monarchy and establishing an Islamic State in Arabia. This could also apply if the Saudis remain in power, but it would be harder.

On to Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood should take power around the 1940s/1950s. Sayyid Qutb was a bit too anti-Western, sensationalist, and willing to support violence (also he has a Hitler moustache :/), so he would quickly be toppled by hostile powers. Hassan al-Banna, a school teacher and more humanitarian, would be more agreeable and well liked, so his assassination would have to be averted.

Pakistan would be an anchor in the east to tie the bloc together with another big non-Arab nation so that pan-Arabism's hold is loosened further and more military and industrial power is added to the bloc's pool. Jamaat-e-Islami under Maududi should come into power by the 70s.

Another big thing to consider is Israel. With the Ottomans staying, Israel would probably not exist, although a similar Druze-Maronite state in Lebanon could be forcefully established in the chaos by France and the UK as the inevitable onslaught of nationalism takes over the world post-WWII and Syrians, Iraqis, and Hejazis demand independence from the Ottomans. If Israel does end up existing, it could be a rallying cry for the Muslim world to fight against, but in OTL, this just encouraged pan-Arabists and secular dictators backed by the Soviets to come into power.

The impetus for the creation of the bloc would be shared hostility among the members to both Western imperialists and communists as well as desire for greater Muslim unity against secularism. As the Cold War progresses, the Islamist bloc's military actions will be in proxy wars against these two enemies.

Speaking of communists, I had an idea for the Tudeh Party in Iran to take power in an officer coup with Soviet backing around 1946. This could put the Sunni-Shia conflict on hold as now some of the Iranian clergy fleeing abroad would be supported by neighboring Islamist states. A sort of warming of relations and mutual understanding could take place in order to topple the communist government and establish a friendly Islamic state in Iran.

Today I was also reading about Korenizatsiya, where the Soviets initially encouraged the different nationalities to embrace their own languages and natives running their own republics, rather than being Russified. This could help the Islamists gain influence in the Central Asian republics if the Soviet Union collapses because they will potentially retain more of their language and culture and not be so Russified like they are in OTL. To keep this policy, Stalin would have to keep supporting it like he did initially, or be replaced by someone else. That someone else could also keep supporting World Communism, which would provide a greater existential threat to non-communist nations and thus influence more Muslims to turn to Islamism.

Going back to WWI, the Ottomans not joining could possibly shorten the war enough for the US not to join, leaving it more isolationist and less likely to back up European powers in their pro-imperialist actions post-WWII. A more isolationist US could also be subtly more conservative, making it more willing later on to back fiercely anti-communist Islamist countries and insurgent groups in the Cold War.

Also about China: it may be more beneficial for the Nationalists to win the civil war. The loyalty of the Ma clique and shared anti-imperialist and anti-communist sentiment between the KMT and Muslim countries would draw them closer together. The RoC may also become an observer in TTL's equivalent of the OIC.

These are the general ideas I have thought of over the past few days. Please by all means poke holes in them and suggest your own. I have also included a rough draft map taking place around 1990 of the major blocs incorporating some of my ideas. An influx of nations would seek to join the OIS after the 89/90s Revolutions.

PanIslamist1990.png

Last edited:
don’t you think regional and ethnic rivalries will trump any ideological affiliations ?

such a huge bloc is only possible if it has a central authority like a caliph

I can totally see such a bloc as hostile to ussr and or China but not convinced they will be belligerent to the west unless a radical uprooting of traditional power groups in the Muslim world is done from Egypt to Indian subcontinent.

Last edited:
don’t you think regional and ethnic rivalries will trump any ideological affiliations ?

such a huge bloc is only possible if it has a central authority like a caliph

Sadly, that's what they've usually done historically. However, a surviving Ottoman Caliphate and a greater number of popular Islamic revivalist thinkers would certainly help alleviate that. I did take into account some national rivalries with some Arab and North African states not yet joining. Also, heavy handed governments would have to be there initially to keep the regions together, as done by other authoritarian countries in the Cold War to varying levels of success.

Sadly, that's what they've usually done historically. However, a surviving Ottoman Caliphate and a greater number of popular Islamic revivalist thinkers would certainly help alleviate that. I did take into account some national rivalries with some Arab and North African states not yet joining. Also, heavy handed governments would have to be there initially to keep the regions together, as done by other authoritarian countries in the Cold War to varying levels of success.
Neo rashidun caliphate ? Based on meritocracy of Umar b khattab ( principles of Sabiqa and shura)

Neo rashidun caliphate ? Based on meritocracy of Umar b khattab ( principles of Sabiqa and shura)
Yeah, something like those ideals would be guiding principles for the supranational organization that will eventually be established, like a sort of "theodemocracy". But I don't think a single united state will be possible in the 20th century. Like you said, there's regional rivalries, then there's hostile powers that will go to great lengths to stop a united Muslim state from forming, and then there's just plain apathy and corruption among Muslims as with all groups.

I feel like this is hard to do without a POD that's far enough back that it threatens to prevent the Cold War from happening in any recognizable form in the first place. Like, it's not particularly hard to imagine something like a more powerful/influential version of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation or a sort of Islamic version of the Non-Aligned Movement, but something with the geo-political coherence and military strength needed to fight and win proxy wars against the Soviets or Americans? I dunno. Maybe if everything goes absolutely right for the Ottomans they can put together a bloc similar in strength and independence to Cold War-era China, but it's hard to imagine them doing much better than that, given the Islamic world's political disunity and poor state of development at the turn of the century.

I can totally see such a bloc as hostile to ussr and or China but not convinced they will be belligerent to the west unless a radical uprooting of traditional power groups in the Muslim world is done from Egypt to Indian subcontinent.

Didn't that uprooting take place in quite a few countries in OTL like Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Iraq, etc.? They had anti-colonial revolutions/wars or coups. I assume the pro-Western groups you are referring to are monarchies in countries like Saudi Arabia and Morocco. The first will be mopped up by the Ottomans and others can be overthrown in Islamist coups rather than generic authoritarian/pan-Arabist coups which were attempted so many times. Also, since the US is less supportive of the European powers and less meddling in the affairs of the Muslim world ITTL because of not participating in WWI and introducing the 14 Points, the idea of the "West" in the Muslim world will be shifted more towards the Europeans, who would be seen more negatively. They may not necessarily be hostile to the US, rather the US will probably be propping them up against the communists as long as they don't publicly say things that sound too radical to American ears. But even then, the US supported some regimes OTL that it greatly ideologically disagreed with.

I feel like this is hard to do without a POD that's far enough back that it threatens to prevent the Cold War from happening in any recognizable form in the first place. Like, it's not particularly hard to imagine something like a more powerful/influential version of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation or a sort of Islamic version of the Non-Aligned Movement, but something with the geo-political coherence and military strength needed to fight and win proxy wars against the Soviets or Americans? I dunno. Maybe if everything goes absolutely right for the Ottomans they can put together a bloc similar in strength and independence to Cold War-era China, but it's hard to imagine them doing much better than that, given the Islamic world's political disunity and poor state of development at the turn of the century.

Yeah, now I'm almost certain that American assistance is needed. When I initially made this post, I tried not to include the US as a hostile power by trying to substitute NATO with "Western Europe" and "imperialists," as in they would provide support in proxy wars in the 60s and 70s against the remaining colonial powers in Muslim regions. Now the question is how ideologically independent this Islamic organization can be from America so long as it fights the communists, and what would it take for the US to support Islamist states over Europeans in anti-colonial wars. I already mentioned the US not being in WWI, but that's probably not enough. If it isn't possible, then I guess the bloc will be relegated to being called another US puppet by hardliners.