AHC: The presidency of Thomas R. Marshall, 1919 to...

Cook

Banned
Your challenge: Have Thomas R. Marshall assume executive authority following Woodrow Wilson's crippling stroke in October 1919. What impact does this have on events? Will Marshall achieve what Wilson failed to do and have Congress ratify the Peace Treaty and US entry into the League of Nations?

030.jpg

Thomas R. Marshall, 29th President of the United States of America.

Last edited:
Your challenge: Have Thomas R. Marshall assume executive authority following Woodrow Wilson's crippling stroke in October 1919.Can Marshall become the first serving Democrat President to be re-elected*?

*Cleveland was elected president for a second term, but not before being defeated by Harrison in between.

If Woodrow Wilson is President in 1919, that means he was re-elected, so unless I am missing something, Marshall would become the second incumbent Democrat President to be elected

I'll quote an old soc.history.what-if post of mine:

As I have posted previously about Lodge's decision to insist on
reservations rather than to oppose ratification outright:

"This involved an element of risk, since theoretically Wilson might accept
the reservations (and once that happened, Britain and France would accept
that having the US go into the League with reservations was better than
having it not go in at all). Senator James Watson (R-Indiana) in his *As I
Knew Them* recalled how he had actually raised this point with Lodge:

"'Senator, suppose that the President accepts the Treaty with your
reservations. Then we are in the League, and once in, our reservations
become purely fiction.' (Watson, like Borah and other irreconcilable
opponents of the League, thought that declaring that the US was not bound
by Article X unless Congress decided on the use of force would not amount
to much. Once the League's Council had voted to use force, with the US
delegate agreeing, Congress, he thought, would not dare refuse; to turn
down a President's request under such circumstances would greatly
embarrass the US before the world.)

"Lodge was not worried, replying with a smile, 'But my dear James, you do
not take into consideration the hatred that Woodrow Wilson has for me
personally. Never under any set of circumstances in this world could he
be induced to accept a treaty with Lodge reservations appended to it.'

"'But,' Watson retorted, 'that seems to me to be a slender thread on which
to hang so great a cause.'

"'A slender thread!' Lodge exclaimed. 'Why, it is as strong as any cable
with strands wired and twisted together.'

"Lodge was right--yet in a sense Watson was right, too. There *was* a
slender thread--Wilson's life. Wilson would never have accepted the Lodge
Reservations, but what if his stroke had killed him? Then the much more
flexible Thomas Marshall would have become President, and the combination of Wilson's
'martyrdom' and Marshall's willingness to accept the Lodge Reservations (or at least something like them)
could have made US membership in the League inevitable."
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.history.what-if/9yi_qjHhwvI/tBRmrpo7XgsJ

In the same post, I also explain why I don't think US participation in the League will make much difference.

Anyway, even if the Treaty is approved with reservations (and Britain and France accept them, realizing that without the US, the League will be too weak), I still don't see Marshall being elected (not re-elected, since he was never elected *president*) in 1920. There will be too much resentment of the state of the economy, of the peace treaty (even if ratified on the ground that some peace treaty and League are better than none, few people are going to actually *like* it and some people and especially some ethnic groups are sure to hate it), of the War itself (and not just from people who had actually opposed the War when it was going on)--and basically of "Wilsonism" in general.

Last edited:
I agree that Marshall will likely make the necessary compromises to get the US into the League of Nations. However, more likely than not he's probably not going to win the 1920 election. Hell, he might lose the nomination to someone like McAdoo.

However, I don't think we can completely ignore the impact on American politics that entrance into the League means. American isolationism is likely never going to reach the heights it reached in OTL in TTL. It's going to have to be different if it's going to be there at all. Especially if the more interventionist groups can justify America's presence in the League by highlighting some of the LoN's early successes.

The Republicans for example, won't be able to nominate Harding in TTL. He's too isolationist. They're going to need someone else, perhaps Leonard Wood?

I agree Marshall would probably lose the 1920 election. tThe electorate was angry and wanted change. I have always assumed that Marshall , since he did
not have Wilson's hang ups, would make the necessary compromises to get the treaty passed. tThe US in the League is an interesting POD. I don't think it is anymore effective.

The Republicans for example, won't be able to nominate Harding in TTL. He's too isolationist. They're going to need someone else, perhaps Leonard Wood?

Not necessarily. If the amended ToV has the support of two-thirds of his fellow Senators, I can easily imaging Harding going with the majority. He doesn't strike me as the "Dare to be a Daniel. Dare to stand alone" type.

Not necessarily. If the amended ToV has the support of two-thirds of his fellow Senators, I can easily imaging Harding going with the majority. He doesn't strike me as the "Dare to be a Daniel. Dare to stand alone" type.

Granted. Yet Harding in OTL was nominated on the 11th Ballot. In TTL the GOP is going to need to nominate someone who's a little more interventionist. I could easily see this giving Wood the edge and making a rather short convention...

Say a Leonard Wood/Irvine Lenroot ticket? Lenroot was the preferred pick of the party bosses, with a shorter convention they'll probably get their way and silent Cal will remain in Massachusetts. Wood manages to win re-election in 1924 before his death in office in 1927. Lenroot then takes over in 1928 and manages to curb the worst of the Great Depression...