AHC/WI: The Royal Family, the Cabinet and the Prime Minister are killed during the Blitz.

So, basically, how could the germans basically decapitate the British government, and what would happen if they did it?

Last edited:
Not really possible, they were generally in different places.

Royal Family, next person in succession becomes King or Queen.

New Government forms from surviving MP’s and by-elections held to replace anyone killed.

King George and the queen were almost killed during the Blitz when a bomb hit the courtyard of Buckingham Palace while they were near by. Elizabeth was 14 at the time so I'm not sure exactly what happens there but it would surely enrage the British public.

I believe cabinet meetings were held in a secure underground bunker so they aren't going to be able to kill all of them at once. If they got really lucky and killed Churchill while he was out one day inspecting an RAF base or whatever it's a temporary blow to morale that would also be soon be replaced with anger and hardened resolve from the UK government and people.

Might be quiet difficult get PM, cabinet and royal family to same place. Was there some order that they can't be in same place during bombing?

King George and the queen were almost killed during the Blitz when a bomb hit the courtyard of Buckingham Palace while they were near by. Elizabeth was 14 at the time so I'm not sure exactly what happens there but it would surely enrage the British public.

I believe cabinet meetings were held in a secure underground bunker so they aren't going to be able to kill all of them at once. If they got really lucky and killed Churchill while he was out one day inspecting an RAF base or whatever it's a temporary blow to morale that would also be soon be replaced with anger and hardened resolve from the UK government and people.

If king George VI and his heir Elizabeth are killed then Elizabeth's little sister Margareth would become queen. This would be quiet intresting when Margareth didn't care so much about old fashioned court rules. And such regicide would cause much of rage over Brits.

If king George VI and his heir Elizabeth are killed then Elizabeth's little sister Margareth would become queen. This would be quiet intresting when Margareth didn't care so much about old fashioned court rules. And such regicide would cause much of rage over Brits.

To be clear, it was King George and his wife the Queen Mother who were almost killed by a German bomb. I don't believe the current Queen Elizabeth was ever in harm's way during the war notwithstanding her service in the motor pool a few years later.

Elizabeth would be queen 12 years sooner if her parents were killed but at the age of 14 would there be some sort of regency until she comes of age?

Two words: Operation Vegetarian. At their first opportunity.

I think that would be overkill. Vegetarian was specifically planned as retaliation in the even that the Germans used chemical or biological warfare on the UK, something not even Hitler was crazy enough to authorize.

Two words: Operation Vegetarian. At their first opportunity.
No way would that trigger Vegetarian and that was not ready until into 1944 and only as a retaliation against German first use.

Replacement systems were (and are ) in place. Slot in next in line Royals, insert Parliaments preferred cabinet etc. and carry on as before.

You can't kill ALL the royal family. You might end up with Baron Bullshit as king, but it's ASB to have ALL the candidates for the throne eliminated in WW2.

So, basically, how could the germans basically decapitate the British government, and what would happen if they did it?

If the Royal family including Liz and Margret are killed, who were the next in line? Would Edward VIII be allowed to return as monarch or would Prince Henry get the title? Would Prince George be allowed to stay in the RAF seeing as he would be the heir since Prince Henry did not have a Child until 1941?(wikipedia is wonderful when it comes to Royal families)

Edward might try to reclaim the throne but I think that Gloucester would be King with Kent as Heir Presumptive (so yes, he would be pulled from front line service at least until Richard was born). Presumably Gloucester would become Henry IX but Richard might well be George VII rather than Richard IV.

If the King and Queen were killed, the Duke of Gloucester would become Regent until Elizabeth became 21 when she would become Queen in her own right.

If Tricky Teddy was to make a serious attempt to regain the throne, I'm guessing that he might meet with an unfortunate hunting accident.

Do not, however, underestimate the ability of the Narcissist-in-Chief (Earl Mountbatten to you) to meddle in this arrangement.

If the King and Queen are killed along their daughters, Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester's King. Dimwit Dave (E8) isn't in the line of succession anymore, and nobody would want him (except for Mosley, who was pro-Hitler). The instrument of abdication clearly removes him and any heirs he and the social climbing wife might have. Neither Parliament nor the people would stand for it. (Although the Nazis thought about replacing George VI with Dimwit when they won the war.)

If the girls survive, Gloucester is, as mentioned above, likely becomes the Regent (and his baby bro Duke of Kent will probably no longer be flying and might survive the war).

If the King and Queen are killed along their daughters, Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester's King. Dimwit Dave (E8) isn't in the line of succession anymore, and nobody would want him (except for Mosley, who was pro-Hitler). The instrument of abdication clearly removes him and any heirs he and the social climbing wife might have. Neither Parliament nor the people would stand for it. (Although the Nazis thought about replacing George VI with Dimwit when they won the war.)

If the girls survive, Gloucester is, as mentioned above, likely becomes the Regent (and his baby bro Duke of Kent will probably no longer be flying and might survive the war).
Plus for Germany the peace regardless of what the Allies wanted is going to be a lot more draconian. I'm thinking the British are probably going to go almost to a Stalin type occupation. Not sure if it'll change anybody's view on Russia, Churchill didn't trust them, but you never know how far that's going to carry over. And I think that would be considerable outrage in the United States also it's one thing to kill soldiers put to kill two little girls, even though it happens all the time, in the Royal Family really piss off a lot of people and nothing good is going to come out of it for Germany especially when the news first comes out will be using it as propaganda that they are winning which is just going to make it worse for them.

Killing the monarch just pisses off the empire. One of the advantages of a democracy is the capacity to elect leaders into positions relatively painlessly.

I doubt though that even the Nazis would play up that they killed the royals, they'd probably spin it as a "regrettable casualty" of British stubbornness or something.

Well for even more British reprisals and sheer hatred, imagine if the OTL U-boat commando raid against the American coast to try to sabotage industrial plants was instead directed to kidnap Princess Elizabeth in Balmoral Castle and either hold her hostage or even try to escape with her.