Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthems: we all have 'em.
A national anthem is a song which is supposed to officially represent a nation. Likewise, a royal anthem represents a monarch or a dynasty. There's supposed to be both an aesthetic and a symbolic dimension to which music is chosen as the national anthem. Given that, what are some alternative pieces of music which could have been recognised as their countries' national anthems, had history gone down a different route? Or alternatively -- what would you propose as the anthems for countries (or provinces, cities, dynasties, etc) that never had one, either because they existed before such a concept (like the Roman Empire), because it wasn't part of their culture (like the Mughal Empire or the Zulu Kingdom), or because the countries themselves never actually existed (like the United Baltic Duchy, the Order-State of Burgundy, or the US under Emperor Norton)?

I'll start.

The Ottoman Empire:
The Ottomans had a proud tradition of military music. It's a bit disappointing to me that the Ottoman Imperial Anthems were mostly composed by an Italian Catholic, and they're all pretty unmemorable. I understand, however, that Janissary marches wouldn't be appropriate as personal/dynastic anthems, nor for a national anthem after the Auspicious Incident.
However, Sultan Abdülaziz was a talented and famous composer, so I propose one of his compositions. My favourite is Hicazkar Sirto and the Sultan's Polka (although the latter might be ill-suited for an anthem).
If the Ottomans survive World War I, then the İstiklal Marşı -- the national anthem of the Turkish Republic in our timeline -- might be their national anthem. Its author, Mehmed Akif Ersoy, was an Islamist and Ottoman loyalist who was deeply disappointed in Atatürk's secularist policies. I can see that song (which is all about martyrdom, jihad, etc) being adopted by the Ottomans as an anti-nationalist, pan-Islamist, imperial anthem; whereas Atatürk used it as a national anthem.

The United States of America:
This is just a matter of taste, but I hate the "Star-Spangled Banner." The US has so many patriotic songs that are much better in every way.
Battle-Hymn of the Republic is much better. It sounds grand, glorious, and inspiring, and it's about themes of sacrifice and liberation. I understand that it is a very Christian song, and that might violate the First Amendment; but regardless, I think it would be a much better song. I think it could be adopted as the national anthem, in a timeline where Lincoln wasn't assassinated, Reconstruction went a lot further, and culturally the North adopted a more triumphalist attitude towards the South after the American Civil War.
Alternatively, Battle-Cry of Freedom in the same scenario.
I don't think Marching Through Georgia could really work as a national anthem, since it's all about a campaign through a US state and can't really be spun as having univeral ideals. So instead, Marching Through Georgia might be the national anthem in a timeline where Sherman's March still happens, but the South somehow manages to win anyway. I don't know how that could happen without ASB or rewriting the history of the Civil War entirely, but it could reflect a kind of Northern revanchism towards the South.

Last edited:
Denmark could have had “I Danmark Er Jeg Født” instead of “Der Er Et Yndigt Land” which I personally would have preferred. Beyond that we might see more countries having two anthems, kinda like Denmark has, with a state anthem and a royal anthem. That could work with countries like the UK which could retain “God Save The Queen” as the royal anthem and then have “Jerusalem”, “Rule Britannia” or “I Vow To Thee My Country” as the state anthem

The United States of America:
This is just a matter of taste, but I hate the "Star-Spangled Banner." The US has so many patriotic songs that are much better in every way.
Battle-Hymn of the Republic is much better. It sounds grand, glorious, and inspiring, and it's about themes of sacrifice and liberation. I understand that it is a very Christian song, and that might violate the First Amendment; but regardless, I think it would be a much better song. I think it could be adopted as the national anthem, in a timeline where Lincoln wasn't assassinated, Reconstruction went a lot further, and culturally the North adopted a more triumphalist attitude towards the South after the American Civil War.
Alternatively, Battle-Cry of Freedom in the same scenario.
I don't think Marching Through Georgia could really work as a national anthem, since it's all about a campaign through a US state and can't really be spun as having univeral ideals. So instead, Marching Through Georgia might be the national anthem in a timeline where Sherman's March still happens, but the South somehow manages to win anyway. I don't know how that could happen without ASB or rewriting the history of the Civil War entirely, but it could reflect a kind of Northern revanchism towards the South.

When I was younger, I always said that I would have prefered Battle Hymn of the Republic as the national anthem, and I stand by it to this day :)

On a side note, when I was younger I was brainstorming a timeline where the US goes imperial a bit earier than in OTL and is more militerized. After a stunning victory, John Philip Sousa decides to pen a new piece honoring President Goerge Armstrong Custer - the Imperial March. It ends up taking the place of Hail to the Chief ;)

The Philippines:

IDK about the Philippines, but I've always been partial to the Despedida a la Virgen, imagery and all, which is why my headcanon for the Philippine Himno in my TL roughly corresponds to this song.

On the other hand, for alternate Filipino states more closely recognizable to a layman in Philippine history, you have the Noble Hymn of the Tagalog People (Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan), Bonifacio's anthem.

England:

God Save the Queen's a mediocre anthem, TBH. In a more Romantic and Little Englander (and maybe republican) TL, I'd much prefer Jerusalem (And did those feet in ancient time).

Poland

1. Bogurodzica: ("Mother of God") was the former "anthem" during early times of Poland. Sung by knights, more of a prayer than a song.

2. Warszawianka 1831: song of the November Uprising. Very upbeat and fast, similar themes to Mazurek Dąbrowskiego.

3. Boże coś Polskę: "God Save Poland" is strongly tied to Polish Catholicism and in some capacity the monarchy. If Poland were re-established as a kingdom, this could have been a contender.

Edit: Adding the songs suggested by MarcinL

4. Gaude Mater Polonia: ("Rejoice Mother Poland") is a *very* old song in Latin and was the most popular medieval Polish hymn, written in the 13th-14th century and sung by Polish knights.

5. Rota: ("Oath") was originally a poem and later put to music, promising to never abandon Polish-ness or the hope of a Polish state/nation. It was motivated by Germanisation attempts after the Partitions of Poland. It became even more popular during WW2 under Nazi occupation.

6. My, Pierwsza Brygada: ("We, the First Brigade") is a marching song of the First Brigade of the Polish Legions, which fought for the Central Powers in WW1 under the leadership of Józef Piłsudski, father of interwar Poland. His popularity buoyed this song to be a contender for national anthem (I believe it was his favourite).

7. W dymem pożarów: ("In the fires' smoke") Seems to be very obscure, but is a prayer-like solemn song which was a candidate to be national anthem of Poland after independence in 1918.

Last edited:
The Philippines:

IDK about the Philippines, but I've always been partial to the Despedida a la Virgen, imagery and all, which is why my headcanon for the Philippine Himno in my TL roughly corresponds to this song.

On the other hand, for alternate Filipino states more closely recognizable to a layman in Philippine history, you have the Noble Hymn of the Tagalog People (Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan), Bonifacio's anthem.

England:

God Save the Queen's a mediocre anthem, TBH. In a more Romantic and Little Englander (and maybe republican) TL, I'd much prefer Jerusalem (And did those feet in ancient time).
I could see Jerusalem as the anthem in an alt-England theocratic state with British Israelitism as the governing philosophy :) of course, the line about "dark Satanic mills" paints a rather unflattering portrait for a national anthem...

Both "America the Beautiful" and "Hail Columbia" would make good U.S. anthems. "The Maple Leaf Forever" would be good for Canada, too.
I'm surprised the tune of "America the Beautiful" hasn't been adapted for use as an anthem in other countries (rather like "God Save the Queen/King" /"My Country, 'Tis of Thee" ... it's a very easy tune to come up with alternate lyrics to...

There's a scenario I've been thinking of for a while. The Faisal-Weizmann Agreement is not only successful, but goes even further -- Mandatory Palestine is united, with Emir Abdullah of Transjordan uniting his lands with Palestine and being proclaimed "King of Israel." This union -- called the Royal Federation, or the Holy Land Federation -- operates on a kind of confessionalist system, similar to what Lebanon has IOTL.

In this timeline, I would imagine that there would be a unifying royal anthem, possibly the same one the Hashemites had in Iraq -- but there might be separate Jewish, Muslim, Druze, etc national anthems, since the whole point of this union is to recognise their differences while also recognising their shared political interests. For Jews, "Hatikvah" (the national anthem of Israel) might still work -- it's all about the hope of returning to Zion, the survival of the Jews throughout history, etc. It isn't especially divisive.

The Arabs at the time didn't really have a national anthem, and most of them viewed themselves mainly as Syrians at this point rather than as part of a separate Palestinian nation; but a lot of the songs they did have, like "Mawtini," emphasise defending the homeland in a way that could be territorialistic and divisive. So instead, I propose one of Imad ad-Din al-Isfahani's 12th century poems, written in praise of Saladin and the jihad against the Crusaders, and more about an abstract idea of Islamic justice than about a territorialised nationalism, even as it's tied to the land of Palestine.

Idk what kind of anthems the Druze and suchlike might have.

Poland

1. Bogurodzica: former "anthem" during early times of Poland. Sung by knights, more of a prayer than a song.

2. Warszawianka 1831: song of the November Uprising. Very upbeat and fast, similar themes to Mazurek Dąbrowskiego.

3. Boże coś Polskę: "God Save Poland" is strongly tied to Polish Catholicism and in some capacity the monarchy. If Poland were re-established as a kingdom, this could have been a contender.
Add to that Gaude mater Polania, Rota and The First Brigade (two latter song were competing with Mazurek for the national anthem spot in 1927 alongside song named Chorał - although I've never heard about that one before)

A Kingdom of Greece claiming to be the restored Byzantine Empire would most likely (re-)use Ti Ipermaho Stratigo ("O Champion General") as its national anthem.

I believe our anthem (A Portuguesa/The Portuguese) was originally written as part of the protests against the Monarchy and the British Ultimatum of 1890 (apparently, one of the lyrics was "against the Brittons, march, march", later changed to "against the cannons"). With this in mind, perhaps if something like the Pink Map came to fruition, while the Monarchy would still be criticized and the anthem of the time replaced due to its monarchic contents, the lack of that event might have prevented the creation of its melody and lyrics, and we might have had a completely different anthem in 1911, or another existing song might have been chosen for that purpose (like the Hino da Maria da Fonte, which I believe is still used today).

Add to that Gaude mater Polania, Rota and The First Brigade (two latter song were competing with Mazurek for the national anthem spot in 1927 alongside song named Chorał - although I've never heard about that one before)
I don't think Gaude Mater Polonia could've made it, but that's my opinion.

I was going to include Pierwsza Brygada but I wanted to keep the list short haha. I think Rota is another good one, though.

I could see Jerusalem as the anthem in an alt-England theocratic state with British Israelitism as the governing philosophy :) of course, the line about "dark Satanic mills" paints a rather unflattering portrait for a national anthem...
I never understood why Jerusalem ended up being considered a patriotic song given that the original poem was more or less about how the Industrial Revolution was making a mess of the place.

Personally I've often thought that the anthem should be Rule Britannia. It's loud, it's rousing and it's got the right amount of bragging (particularly "The nations, not so blest as thee/Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall/While thou shalt flourish great and free/The dread and envy of them all.") I must however admit that I always thought that the last line of the refrain was "Britions shall never again be slaves" rather than what it is. I also have to admit that I kinda prefer my version because then there's an implied "we got crap off the Romans, the Vikings and the Normans and even those North African pirates had a go. But now we're top of the heap, we've got a big fleet, come on if you're hard enough".

Last edited:
Muhammad Iqbal was one of the most important figures in the Indian Independence Movement, but he was also among the first to articulate the idea of Pakistan. His works are much beloved in both countries, and his political poetry is used as patriotic music in both India and Pakistan.

Tarana-e-Hind (the Song of India) is an ode to an independent, united India. It is still popular, but only in India, and is used as a marching song by the Indian Armed Forces.
Tarana-e-Milli (the Song of the Community (think Ottoman millet)), by contrast, is a song written in the same meter and rhyme scheme as Tarana-e-Hind, but is about the Muslims of India in particular, with themes of pan-Islamic (rather than pan-Indian) solidarity.

If India and Pakistan were not partitioned but were instead a federation (as proposed by Choudhry Rahmat Ali), I can see these two songs being the national anthems of that federation. It isn't unheard of for a country to have two national anthems -- New Zealand and Denmark do, for example.

A Mongolian state ruled by the Borjigins could use "In Praise of Genghis Khan." I'm not sure which state in particular would be best-suited for this; it feels like it'd be best suited to Borjigins in Mongolia, so not Great Yuan or any of the other Great Khanates. So...I'm gonna say anything from Northern Yuan to 20th century Mengjiang.

What would be a good anthem for an American monarchy? I’m thinking one founded in the 1780s, maaaybe with the Washingtons as the Royal house.

What would be a good anthem for an American monarchy? I’m thinking one founded in the 1780s, maaaybe with the Washingtons as the Royal house.
If the Prussian Scheme happened, the American royal anthem might be early Romanticist. Romanticist music was only just starting to come into fashion in Europe, and would be associated with the rise of nationalism; as opposed to Classical music, which was sort of the established fashion. Carl Maria von Weber is one of the people most associated with "musical nationalism," and was influential to developing a tradition of nationalist opera which would later inspire folks like Wagner. Maybe he could compose a piece for this German prince to use as his anthem?
Naturally, this composition (if it had lyrics at all) would have to be in English. I doubt a German-language song would be all too popular in the US at this point. The composition should demonstrate that Prince Henry was an American king, and that his court is worth taking seriously, just like any European court.

Alternatively -- Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, the guy who wrote La Marsellaise and a lot of other French war songs. Even though his song was used by the French Revolution, de Lisle himself was a royalist who only wanted constitutional reforms, and was an associate of the Marquis de Lafayette. He could compose something suitably impressive for this new Enlightened kingdom, I'm sure.

Last edited:
If Israel's founders were more religious, a potential alternate Israeli anthem could be Psalm 126, commonly known as Shir Ha'amalot. It's often sung at weddings, circumcisions, and other celebrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.