Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Version 2.0

A while back, we had a fantastic thread that covered an alternate list of #1 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 from 1973 to 2013. Sadly, it's been left to atrophy, which is a shame, as I found it to be a fun little project. As such, I thought I'd revive it, with one caveat: this time, instead of covering 40 years, we'll be doing 50 years. We'll start on January 1st, 1966, and go through the end of 2016.

The rules are simple: wait two turns before posting again. If we get too much turnover, we can always start posting in two-week intervals like toward the end of the last TL.

Let's get started, shall we?

January 1st, 1966: "The Sounds of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel

January 8th, 1966: "That's My Story" - The Zombies

(POD: instead of Colin Blunstone, Rod Argent collaborates with Tim Rice, who has a decent singing voice and is really, really good at songwriting. Sadly, this will butterfly away Murray Head's "One Night In Bangkok" and various other songs from OTL musicals)

Last edited:
February 12th, 1966: "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas

By the way, one amazing asset we have now that we didn't when we made the old thread is that Billboard now has full Hot 100 charts available for every week of it's history. So this week looked like this: http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1966-02-12

And you can just keep scrolling forward to see how things developed.

Last edited: