Alternate names for "Tank"

My son-in-law (US Army Mechanized Infantry) says all tracked vehicles are called "Tracks", and only refered to as 'tank' or 'IFV' if you need to be specific.

Going to set a record for myself and try to quote all of you guys.

Barrel a la TL-191.

Yeah it is the most obvious but SOMEONE was gonna say it. For an actual, original idea maybe Mud Cars?
Yes I knew someone would bring that up. In fact I was going to say "don't say 'barrel'!" but got too lazy. Barrel does sound kind of cool though.

"The barrel battalion is on the move!"

Have a classically minded fellow in the development corps name it the Mk 1 Cataphract. Or a fellow who's well versed in Oriental Studies names it a ratha (the heavy battle chariots of bronze age India and Persia). Ratha is short and easy to pronounce.

Or have them call it a Land-Cruiser. Later transliterated as landcruiser and perhaps just cruiser after actual naval cruisers are dropped by most navies.

How do you pronounce "Cataphract"? Is it "Ka-tuh-fract"?

Land cruiser might be okay but I can't get the idea of "warship for supporting battleships and carriers" out of my head.

HG wells called them land battleships.
Only appropriate if these are Rattes we're talking about.

Mechanized Cavalry.
term is already in use, and tanks IRL don't always work as cavalry anyway.

Though I suppose with a shift of doctrine...

Rollers maybe? But that puts kitchen utensils into my head more than anything.
Rollers sounds too...round and benign.

Armored Wagons. Or Combat tractors.

Tracked Trains/Locomotives.

Are we disqualifying all more than one word name?

The shorter and more functional, the better. I was thinking of some variant of "train" myself.

How about juggernauts, from the giant Hindu idols on wheels that get pushed around by followers and that devotees fall under and get rolled over.?
Too fancy, even if cool-sounding.

Actually now that you mention it, how about Rams? Functionally and visually the tank is essentially a tube sticking out of a box that rolls forward slowly to break through the enemy line after all.
I actually like this one the best so far.

The German is actually panzerkampfwagen (armored battle wagon), so some variation on that would be reasonable. Landkreuzer (land cruiser), as suggested above, would also be reasonable for German AFVs.

The Italians used carro armato (armored car) for their tanks, so a variation on that would work for them.

The Russian танк and French char are simply translations of tank into their respective languages, so whatever English speakers use they might adopt as well.

The Japanese is actually sento-sha (fighting vehicle), which is apt.
Yes but in German and Japanese those longer terms get shortened to Panzer and Sensha. I think that "Panzer" (lit. Armor) works better for the Germans than "Armor" works for us because the consonants happens to have a distinct piercing sound.

The problem with multi-word names is that people are lazy and will contract them to single-syllable names pretty quickly.
Someone brought of Mechanized Cavalry earlier. Maybe this would be shortened to just "mech" or even "mecha" after some time?

Dragons. A slurring of the words "tracked guns". In the case of flame-throwing tanks, the name is even more fitting. Infantry tanks like the Matilda would befit the title "turtles", owing to their velocity impairment.
I like the logic behind this one, but the mythological connection is probably too strong for people to adopt it as a general term.

Crawlers, maybe?
Plain

The first thing that really came to my mind(other than Turtledove, of course) was the term "Terramobile" used by Sobel in "For Want of a Nail".
Hm.

Big box of boom.
You mean a bomb?

Which is why in Jared's Decades of Darkness, armored land tractors became arlacs, one of the better alt-tank names IMHO.
Seems a bit unweidly but the logic seems as good as any.

Of which the French char works only in Europe. In Canada, char means, well, "car" (as in English), as opposed to the more "proper" auto (also common, as well as part of the magazine title Le monde de l'auto ([The] World of Cars)) or voiture.
Hey, you and your linguistics, what do you suppose the Russians might call such a vehicle if they were the ones to invent it? I was thinking about "ustanovka" (unit) or "samokhodnaya ustanovka" (self-propelled unit), but that might be too broad of a concept to apply to just tanks.

i've been trying to think of alternatives like this myself but always defaulted back to "tank". personally, i like the use of "cataphract" but only in a certain context, namely in it being used by countries that were once part of the Byzantine Empire (or alternatively count that as a name for mecha :p). "land battleship" is a good default, since it has the Wells precedent.
The problem with cataphract to me is that it's too complex and sounds really... antiquated, like the word 'sextant' or 'automobile'.

Treads sounds good to my ears.

Yeah, but "tread division"? "Tread tactics"? "Heavy treads"? "World of Treads"?
You sure?

Tracker(s)
Behemoth
Arfiv
Varlas
Explain to me the meaning of the last two.

My son-in-law (US Army Mechanized Infantry) says all tracked vehicles are called "Tracks", and only refered to as 'tank' or 'IFV' if you need to be specific.
Interesting. Might be too broad though, since they do need more specialized terms.

I actually like this one the best so far.
Glad you like. ^_^

Hi all,

IOTL, as we know, the word "tank" to mean a tracked armored combat vehicle was coined because they were initially described for purposes of secrecy as mobile water tanks.
Imagine if they were disguised as field bakeries instead. And then once combat crews had to actually get IN the Mark 1 and turn the engine on...

Behold, the Oven.

Still a better name than Barrel imo.

1. Iron Chariots, Irocha (pronounced EYE-ROLL-CHA) or Icha (pronounced EYE-CHA) for short?
2. Mobile Fortress, Mofo for short? :D
3. Trolls? :p

Marc A

The Burstyn "tank" (1911) was called "Motorgeschütz" so if any army had adopted it the name might stick - at least in German speaking countries.

If translated literally ot would translate to:

MotorGun, or Motor Cannon.

But as OTL first tanks were often NOT armed with "guns" but "Machine Guns" this might not stick. (The Burstyn design had a gun and a rotating Turret - it was similar to OTLs FT-17 deign)

As Armored Cars were "older" the invention of "tanks" might lead to call them something like armored Tractor (Burstyn got his idea for tracks when he saw a Holt tractor) - shorten it to "artrack".

"Rommel went around the Maginot Line, trolling the French so hard they surrendered in tears". :D

Grey Wolf

Donor
Hi all,

IOTL, as we know, the word "tank" to mean a tracked armored combat vehicle was coined because they were initially described for purposes of secrecy as mobile water tanks. This name has a very specific cause, one that would be particularly sensitive to butterflies (unlike the more generic Panzer from German or Sensha in Japanese) in any pre-WW1 AH scenario. But what other names could we use?

Armoured battle wagon

or just battle wagon

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Track seems likely, but it's not exactly "alt".

Plus, there's a difference between "technical term" & "common usage". So it's likely to be "armored tractor" or something, & commonly "armtrack".

Hmmm.... If we want to stay true to the invention of the term (=deception), but use a different word I would suggest boiler.

Charts...

The French term was "Char." If the French invented them, I can see, at first, the French term being used. But--people may well change it to a word they already know that sounds the same, and start calling them "Charts," or "Those Bloody French Contraptions." Perhaps soldiers start calling them "BFC's..."

In German it is called "Panzer Kampf Wagen", or PzKW, meaning: Armored Combat Vehicle. Why not using this simple sort of naming. (In English Abriviation: ACV, simmilar to the armored Personel Carrier being: ACP