Alternative CSA President

Following another thread (better CSA Commissariat), I have noticed a common theme. Many potentially able commanders of the CSA Western Armies appear to be have ruled out because the did not get along with Jefferson Davies. As a result people like Bragg and Hood ended up in command. Subsequently from the CSA viewpoint this has been regarded as a bad move

What if Davies had been given the military command he wanted and someone else had been presdient of the CSA ?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Peter Cowan said:
Following another thread (better CSA Commissariat), I have noticed a common theme. Many potentially able commanders of the CSA Western Armies appear to be have ruled out because the did not get along with Jefferson Davies. As a result people like Bragg and Hood ended up in command. Subsequently from the CSA viewpoint this has been regarded as a bad move

What if Davies had been given the military command he wanted and someone else had been presdient of the CSA ?

Thingy ? His Vice President ? Was he called Alexander ? Been a damn while since I looked at CSA politics, not since the heyday of the lamented Plethora

Grey Wolf

I think Robert Toombs, from Georgia, should be given some consideration. I think historically allegations that he was drunk kept him off the short list for CS President.

That would be VP Alexander Stephens.

Last edited:
Straha said:
how about breckinridge?

I've wondered that myself before: why Breckinridge wasn't the Confederate President when most soon-to-be-Confederates voted for him in the 1860 election. The reason for this is that he was from Kentucky. The Confederate President would have to be from one of the first seven states to secede. So Breckinridge is out. Needs to be a Georgian, Alabaman, Mississippian, North or South Caroliner, Louisianan, or Floridian.

A thread in a similar vein

...can be found here. It focuses more on the military aspects rather than the political, so treat it as a complement to, rather than a replacement for, the current thread. :)

csa945 said:
I've wondered that myself before: why Breckinridge wasn't the Confederate President when most soon-to-be-Confederates voted for him in the 1860 election. The reason for this is that he was from Kentucky. The Confederate President would have to be from one of the first seven states to secede. So Breckinridge is out. Needs to be a Georgian, Alabaman, Mississippian, North or South Caroliner, Louisianan, or Floridian.

Because Jefferson Davis wasn't born in Kentucky, or anything. ;)

tetsu-katana said:
Because Jefferson Davis wasn't born in Kentucky, or anything. ;)

The point is not where he was born, but of what state he was a citizen at the time of secession. Davis was a citizen of Mississippi at the time of secession, and so eligible for the office. Breckinridge was not.

robertp6165 said:
The point is not where he was born, but of what state he was a citizen at the time of secession. Davis was a citizen of Mississippi at the time of secession, and so eligible for the office. Breckinridge was not.

Oh, I didn't realize it was actually an issue of what state citizenship one held. :eek:

Or that the Confederate presidents literally had to be from one of the original seven seceeding states, for that matter...

Oops.

tetsu-katana said:
Oh, I didn't realize it was actually an issue of what state citizenship one held. :eek:

Or that the Confederate presidents literally had to be from one of the original seven seceeding states, for that matter...

Oops.

I may be mistaken but it was only the seven orginal states when they chose the President. Come next presidental election, or for that matter, impeachment, you could find any of those states being able to put forth a canident...

Othniel said:
I may be mistaken but it was only the seven orginal states when they chose the President. Come next presidental election, or for that matter, impeachment, you could find any of those states being able to put forth a canident...

Ah, well that makes more sense.

Prior to the ACW there was no US Citizenship, You were a citizen of a state in the United States.
Lee's position was --that He was a "Citizen of Virginia" in the United States",
If Virginia was no longer in the United States, then neither was He.

Wasn't it Alexander Stephens. who negotiated the purchase, of Cuba in the 1850's, IIRC it was only due to it falling thru, that he lost the presidency. and then by a razor thin margin.

Here's a question, what if Lee had lived in West Virginia, is he now not able to serve as part of the goverment or be a General?

Alas, there are few other good candidates. Davis had been an exemplary Secretary of War, and was known and respected in both North and South as a liberal and an honest man. He has the reputation and the manners to be accepted by Virginia, which had not yet seceded. Breckinridge probably would have made a tolerable President, but he drank an exceptional amount, spit tobacco on the floor and spoke with a thick rural Kentucky accent; he was the backwoods southern lawyer to complement Buchanan the northern diplomat on the '56 ticket.

Toombs is probably as good as we can do. Stephens is rather too young and too cranky; among other things, he would not have passed a conscription law, which probably would have made the CSA collapse quickly indeed. But in order to bypass Davis, you probably need to dispose of him; he is clearly the best candidate, a President must be selected before generals, and one simply does not decline an offer of a Presidency.

Say Toombs does get selected. Does Virginia then secede, and merely recognize the Confederacy and attempt to exchange ambassadors?

Suppose they nominated Hughes of Virginia? Would he have accepted the position even though his state was still nominally part of the Union?

Othniel said:
Here's a question, what if Lee had lived in West Virginia, is he now not able to serve as part of the goverment or be a General?

West Virginia was considered part of Virginia by the Confederacy, so if he lived there, he would be considered to have lived in Virginia.

He would therefore not be eligible to serve as a member of the Confederate government until after Virginia seceded in May 1861 (he would therefore have been ineligible at the time of the Montgomery Convention where the original Confederate Government was selected).

As for becoming a general, he could have volunteered his service to the Confederacy even before May 1861, had he so chosen. This would have raised some complicated issues for him, however, as he would still technically have been a citizen of Virginia, a State of the United States, and could possibly have been accused of treason.