Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
But there is a worst argument any of you have not use. She may agree...
you gotta admit a well outfitted scale 1:1 armoured road train will put a whole new dimension to RVing or Glamping lol.
(now i want the topgear crew (or whatever name they use at the moment) to do a roadtest with it lol)

New stuff from Swiss archives:

IMG_20230824_095953_460.jpg
IMG_20230824_100517_849.jpg

IMG_20230824_095958_358.jpg

IMG_20230824_100520_360.jpg

These are the avenues of further 105 and 120mm gun and ammo improvement as of 1977 for the British, which gives options for alternate ammo and guns for the late 70s and 80s.

The British were looking at introducing RDX type propellant and electroslag refined barrels to shoot ammunition at a greater pressure, thus putting more force behind the projectile. RDX increases the force and reduces dispersion at the same pressure. The gun and propellant each accounted for a 150 ft/s increase in velocity. In the 105, this allowed the option of a heavier APDS core which could finally deal with thick armor, here 150mm @60° at 1000m where the present 120mm could only do so at 550m (so better than Chieftain). It was hoped that APDS would have a lower dispersion than APFSDS, but much lower penetration performance.

The 120mm was looking at similar changes, plus a switch to a new combustible or stub case charge and/or a new breech block, and then eventually a new barrel, obturation and ignition system. This was to get around the limitations of the bag charge system which required a less convenient obturation system on the existing L11 gun and couldn't quite provide the same power and accuracy. Many of these features were seen either on Challenger 2's L30 gun, or in guns that were intended for MBT-80 like the M13A. This shows that APDS itself could become quite powerful in the 120mm, but nonetheless it was clearly inferior to APFSDS.

Sadly, IRL Chieftain and the 105mm only got new propellant and APFSDS, and quite a good deal later than this study intended.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
I saw a whiffie M3 Medium tank with a Crusader 1 turret over on FB group. I haven't a clue if the appropriate body and fender work to the turret ring could be accomplised on a real M3, but it was a good looking model all the same. It would be an even taller SOB I'd guess.

Going to base my next build project on this obscure (and not very good quality) photo that appears to show an IS-3 turret mounted on an M48 hull. Can't remember where I picked it up but the article it was attached to said the vehicle was Egyptian.

M48-IS3 A4.png

This project will also involve repurposing one of my earlier whiffs - I have already done an improved version (M60A4 Avenger) as a commission build (see Post#48 on page 3 of my completed AH AFV Models thread) and have been slowly robbing bits and pieced from this one - time to be reincarnated. The turret is a left over from a build I did for @Jim Smitty (see Post#55 on page 3 of my completed AH AFV Models thread).

Early 1.jpg

Early 2.jpg

Details and pics of the build to follow in due course...

Last edited:
I saw a whiffie M3 Medium tank with a Crusader 1 turret over on FB group. I haven't a clue if the appropriate body and fender work to the turret ring could be accomplised on a real M3, but it was a good looking model all the same. It would be an even taller SOB I'd guess.

The M3's turret ring was 1384mm and the Crusader turret ring was 1410mm - so a bit of redesigning would definitely have been required. Interestingly, both the A9 Cruiser Mk I and A10 Cruiser Mk II had turret rings of 1384mm - was it one of these that was attached to the M3?

Driftless

Donor
The M3's turret ring was 1384mm and the Crusader turret ring was 1410mm - so a bit of redesigning would definitely have been required. Interestingly, both the A9 Cruiser Mk I and A10 Cruiser Mk II had turret rings of 1384mm - was it one of these that was attached to the M3?
Very well could be. I'm no expert on the finer details of those tanks.

Going to base my next build project on this obscure (and not very good quality) photo that appears to show an IS-3 turret mounted on an M48 hull. Can't remember where I picked it up but the article it was attached to said the vehicle was Egyptian.

View attachment 852771

This project will also involve repurposing one of my earlier whiffs - I have already done an improved version (M60A4 Avenger) as commission a build (see Post#48 on page 3 of my completed AH AFV Models thread) and have been slowly robbing bits and pieced from this one - time to be reincarnated. The turret is a left over from a build I did for @Jim Smitty (see Post#55 on page 3 of my completed AH AFV Models thread).

View attachment 852773

View attachment 852774

If i look at the foto i think it looks more like the original T54 turret. However, the gun throws me off cause i don't think it had a muzzle break.

This project will also involve repurposing one of my earlier whiffs - I have already done an improved version (M60A4 Avenger) as commission a build (see Post#48 on page 3 of my completed AH AFV Models thread) and have been slowly robbing bits and pieced from this one - time to be reincarnated. The turret is a left over from a build I did for @Jim Smitty (see Post#55 on page 3 of my completed AH AFV Models thread).

Looking forward to it! Nice to see you get some use out of 'Starship Bert'.

Status
Not open for further replies.