Amy Winehouse alive today

samcster94

Banned
How would things be different in the music industry if in an alternate universe, she was alive today??? Let's say her third album gets made on schedule. I can picture Adele taking a very different road in that universe as a singer(19 would be the only recognizable album in TTL).

She would need to quit drinking as well as have her mental health issues addressed to continue having a career. Her whole career was tragic given how her success and the media attention that followed fed her destructive impulses. I'm not sure what kind of measures would be required to have her become stable but I presume they would interrupt her career for at least a little while.

Ak-84

Banned
Better chance of N Korean leadership quitting & joining an ashram in Hamburg.
Any Winehouse was playing Russian Roulette with 5 full chambers. Rinse and repeat.
The odds were against here lasting till 2018.

Old senile deaf-blind lady who uses rollator has better changes survive in Verdun in 1916 than Amy Winehouse surviving to 2018. Wonder that she even made that so long what she did. Her should firstly stop heavy drinking and drug using and that should happen much earlier or even better that she doesn't start all. Probably her music would be very different if she ever goes to whole music business. And even if she stops that some years earlier her liver would be in such bad shape that she would need new liver that she could live much longer or even to 2018.

It's fantasy, but I've always assumed that her next album after Back to Black wouldn't have been half as good - it always struck me as one of those albums where everything clicked into place at the right time.

I suspect that nothing much would have changed if Amy Winehouse had survived. The initial wave of artists that the record companies pushed as Amy Winehouse replacements, most obviously Duffy, either collapsed or branched off in their own direction and Adele has always struck me as the kind of person who is strong on the inside.

This thread has prompted me to rediscover the music of Gabriella Cilmi, which is just as awful as I remember. I suppose the question is, does Amy Winehouse merely survive, or does she turn her life around? In the former case probably the best solution would be for her to leave the music business entirely and live out her life in peace. That would probably require the absence of her dad.

Last edited:

samcster94

Banned
It's fantasy, but I've always assumed that her next album after Back to Black wouldn't have been half as good - it always struck me as one of those albums where everything clicked into place at the right time.

I suspect that nothing much would have changed if Amy Winehouse had survived. The initial wave of artists that the record companies pushed as Amy Winehouse replacements, most obviously Duffy, either collapsed or branched off in their own direction and Adele has always struck me as the kind of person who is strong on the inside.

This thread has prompted me to rediscover the music of Gabriella Cilmi, which is just as awful as I remember. I suppose the question is, does Amy Winehouse merely survive, or does she turn her life around? In the former case probably the best solution would be for her to leave the music business entirely and live out her life in peace. That would probably require the absence of her dad.
I'd like her to survive, but still put out one last album before retiring. Said album doesn't have to be Back to Black, it could be Frank level or just merely okay.

Didn't she make comments about not wanting blacks to listen to her music? I imagine it'd hurt her in the long run, but then again Cardi B called blacks mayates and roaches and is still beloved.

Beth Hart comes to mind. she's somehow survived a low swing into self destruction. For a addict its never 'over'. But, Hart looks a lot healthier on stage, and her performance is tighter and a lot more consistent. Etta James went through the abyss & came out. Theres a video clip from a 1980s BB King concert, where a dried out and recovered Etta gently guides a whacked out Chaka Khan around the stage. Its kind of touching the way Etta looked after her fellow performer that moment, tho sad to see Chaka busy trashing her career and health in public.

Anyway, if Winehouse cleaned up we might have heard a new more disciplined sound from her. Perhaps exploring some new genres.

Last edited:
She sinks even lower than she had when she died.

And to remind folks, she was literally pissing herself on stage, getting booed off in concert, and died in a hotel room in Serbia. Life has gone terribly wrong if you habe gone from world fame to touring Serbia.

So what would Amy Winehouse be doing had she lived? Mountains of drugs, pills and booze, and not much else.

Biggest difference is nobody would try passing off that drugged out one hit wonder as the lost voice of a generation.

Biggest difference is nobody would try passing off that drugged out one hit wonder as the lost voice of a generation.

WOW, personally I find that very harsh. I don't count anyone's hits, I listen to their voice, and their music. Amy could sing jazz, she could sing blues, she could sing Soul, In a way I think her singing was a throw back, retro if she had survived - there may have been less hip-hop. Amy was a singer who liked an emotional content in her songs - you could feel the pain that the Amy was portraying when she sang, I don't feel she could do that with hip-hop.

Sad, that she followed the path of Janis Joplin, rather than be able to sing at Aretha Franklin's tribute.

Cook

Banned

Funnily enough, I heard Rehab on the radio at lunch time today.

And that brings me to the only significant change I can think of; Rehab wouldn't sound so ironic if she were still alive.

If 2016 didn't get her then we'd have to start thinking about the future and the sort of world we would be leaving to Kieth Richards and Amy Winehouse.

The only song of hers that I can remember is 'Back to black' but I can't remember any of them without firing up youtube and going "Oooh! That was her? Huh.." She wasn't a great singer IMO, and considering the amount she drank and drugged...its a fucking miracle she lasted as long as she did. But to save her you'd need one HELL of an intervention, and to get her away from her boyfriend who's name I completely forget.

And yeah 2016 was also waiting for her, bastard year that it was.

She sinks even lower than she had when she died.

And to remind folks, she was literally pissing herself on stage, getting booed off in concert, and died in a hotel room in Serbia. Life has gone terribly wrong if you habe gone from world fame to touring Serbia.

So what would Amy Winehouse be doing had she lived? Mountains of drugs, pills and booze, and not much else.

Amy Winehose did not die in a hotel room in Serbia. She died at her house in London.

I met her once, if you can call it that. She showed up at a club I was at and decided she was going to DJ. Northern Soul, very good stuff. I was drunk and surrounded by the respectful kind of Brit, the kind that doesn't bother celebrities. I decided I'd show them what it meant to be an American, dammit. I asked her if she wanted to dance. She said no. I asked her if she had 'Girls Are Out to Get You.' She spun it. I stopped bothering her. I heard later that night she punched some guy. Always makes me think of the butterfly effect. Did I play a role in that punch?

Got moxed up, she was touring in Serbia before she died. Pissed herself on stage, got booed off because she was too doped up to remember the lyrics.

She lives? We find out how much lower she could go before she actually hits rock bottom.