An Unexpected Prince

Well sh*t just got real for someone.

Wonder if Sarah can escape before the King’s party gets there?

Last edited:
Chapter 121: Marlborough's Wife

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 121: Marlborough’s Wife

July, 1715

The door to the cell opened and William entered. He’d been dreading this conversation for some time. He wasn’t even supposed to be the one who would speak with the prisoner, but Harcourt had fallen ill and was apparently on death’s door so here he was. The door shut behind him, and he looked at the prisoner. Despite her age she was still pretty, her hair was touching her back, and William could imagine why Marlborough had fallen for her.

William cleared his throat and the woman looked at him. “Lady Marlborough.”

“Lord Aberdeen.” Sarah Churchill said. “You have come to question me?”

“Yes.” William said.

“I would offer you a seat, but as I’m sure you can see I have nothing but this bed and the one chair by the wall, but that’s got some stains on it.” Churchill said.

“I will stand.” William answered.

The woman nodded and then said. “You might as well get on with it.”

William nodded. “Lady Marlborough you are aware of the charge of treason that stands against you. One count of High Treason in plotting to remove the King and one count of lesser treason by forging the letters of a Princess of the Realm. I have been asked by His Majesty to ask why you decided to do such a thing.”

“How unusual that the King has sent you here instead of asking you to question me in front of the Lords or another court. Is he afraid of something?” Lady Marlborough asked.

“His Majesty would like to extend you a courtesy as a friend of His Majesty’s sister Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cumberland, and give you a chance to explain yourself fully before any trial takes place.” William answered.

“How quaint.” The Countess replied.

“My lady…” William said.

Lady Marlborough sighed. “I did what I did because I was jealous. Anne had been shunted off to Hampton Court and my daughter wasn’t allowed into the Royal Household, therefore I needed a way to increase the influence of my family at court.”

“Your son serves as a Gentleman of the Bedchamber to His Majesty and your husband is Commander in Chief of the Forces.” William said. “One would think that would be suitable enough influence.”

The Countess snorted. “My son is no politician and John does nothing but attend countless balls and other such frivolous activities. I wanted something more meaningful.”

William raised an eyebrow. “So, you decided to take advantage of a rumour that had long since died and got Her Royal Highness the Dowager Duchess of Cumberland so drunk that she could not remember the contents of the letter?”

“Yes.” The Countess said. “I knew the only way I’d be able to get anything done was by ensuring that Anne wrote the letter and signed it. I dictated its contents. I knew it would hold more weight if it came from her. She used moan about it when the King was younger.”

“So, you acknowledge that the King is indeed the King and not some product of an elaborate Catholic conspiracy?” William pressed.

The Countess snorted. “Of course I do. Everyone knows that conspiracy was an idiotic attempt to sow dissent. King James II died and the conspiracy lost its ground. No, all I did, I did to keep the family from falling out of favour. The King prefers Derwentwater and Waldegrave and others like them. My son was being relegated from favour. I needed to act.”

William nodded, he did not quite understand the woman’s movements, but he wasn’t going to question her on that, instead he asked. “You did not act alone though.”

“No, I knew I did not have the ability to do what needed to be done myself. I needed support. John would only have joined me if he knew I had backing.” Marlborough answered.

William made a mental note that the Countess had wanted to get her husband involved, and proceeded to ask. “Who did you contact and why?”

“Mar, because he wanted a position in government and didn’t get it. He’s a petty idiot who is easily manipulated. Lord Lovat because he’s an opportunist whose son is a member of Cumberland’s household. Lords Munro and Grant because they command a vast number of men. Had Mar not fled the scene after attacking Drummond’s regiment, things could’ve gone better, but he always was a coward.” Marlborough said.

William nodded, Lovat was and always had been the King’s man, he’d written to William a few months ago and informed them of a possible conspiracy and been asked to ensure it went ahead so they could route it out. Munro and Grant were surprising inclusions though. Mar, Mar was done for. “Very well, thank you.” William said, turning to leave.

“Wait!” Lady Marlborough said then sounding desperate.

William stopped and looked at her. “Yes?”

“If you search my rooms at Hampton Court you will find something else.” Marlborough said.

“What?” William asked.

“You’ll find letters from Lady Masham to me stating that she knows who killed Robert Spencer, Earl of Sunderland and why.” Marlborough said.

William doubted that, but he nodded all the same. “Very well, thank you.” With that he turned and left.

I've been working my way through this story for a while, and I have to say it's really good. My knowledge of that era is largely limited to The Favourite, but as with all the best stories on here it's been a great chance to learn history I'm not familiar with.

One thing confuses me though: are Anne and Sarah in a relationship in your story? A few characters were hinting at it, but I read some experts claim they probably actually weren't in a sexual relationship IOTL. I'm wondering what you did with them, especially since Anne's daughter is herself in a lesbian relationship.

VVD0D95

Banned
I've been working my way through this story for a while, and I have to say it's really good. My knowledge of that era is largely limited to The Favourite, but as with all the best stories on here it's been a great chance to learn history I'm not familiar with.

One thing confuses me though: are Anne and Sarah in a relationship in your story? A few characters were hinting at it, but I read some experts claim they probably actually weren't in a sexual relationship IOTL. I'm wondering what you did with them, especially since Anne's daughter is herself in a lesbian relationship.
Glad you’ve liked the timeline so far :). As for Anne and Sarah, I’ll leave that to your imagination ;)

Lady Marlborough seems to be being very co-operative here. Is she hoping for a lighter punishment or has stopped caring about herself and is looking to get her husband and son out of suspicion?

Interesting game.

VVD0D95

Banned
Lady Marlborough seems to be being very co-operative here. Is she hoping for a lighter punishment or has stopped caring about herself and is looking to get her husband and son out of suspicion?

Interesting game.
You’re going to have to wait and see ;)

Interesting game.

I originally thought on reading it that it could be as simple as she knows the game is up, she will be executed, imprisoned for life or some other equally harsh thing will happen to her, either way, the consequences have already been dealt and now she has nothing more to lose.

So her telling the truth or lying has no bearing anymore- going out with dignity perhaps because her speech came across as someone resigned to their fate to me. But I don't know if that is her style to lie or not in that situation.

Although on second reading while I think the consequences have already been decided the way she acts makes me think they may not be as harsh as I originally imagined.

VVD0D95

Banned
I originally thought on reading it that it could be as simple as she knows the game is up, she will be executed, imprisoned for life or some other equally harsh thing will happen to her, either way, the consequences have already been dealt and now she has nothing more to lose.

So her telling the truth or lying has no bearing anymore- going out with dignity perhaps because her speech came across as someone resigned to their fate to me. But I don't know if that is her style to lie or not in that situation.

Although on second reading while I think the consequences have already been decided the way she acts makes me think they may not be as harsh as I originally imagined.
;)

Chapter 122: The King's Will

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 122: The King’s Will

August, 1715

“What did the search of Lady Marlborough’s apartments at Hampton Court show?” James demanded.

“Very little, Your Majesty.” William Gordon, Earl of Aberdeen and the new Lord Chancellor for Albion said. “There was one letter which was written in a hand that is neither Lady Masham’s nor Lady Marlborough’s. Indeed, it appears to be in a hand that nobody recognises.”

“And what did it say?” James asked.

“Something about how Lord Sunderland deserved to his fate, and that everyone had had a favour done for them by seeing Sunderland murdered.” William replied.

“And did Lady Marlborough explain how she had come into possession of this letter?” James asked.

“She said she found it in her apartments one day roughly five years ago, but thought nothing of it.” William responded.

“And so she decided to simply mention it now?” James’ nephew the Duke of Cumberland said. “How convenient.”

“Her children have not said anything that contradicts her statement that they knew nothing about what she was doing either, Sire.” William Gordon said. “Nor has her husband.”

“Very well.” James said. “We are of the opinion that she is far too dangerous to keep alive. Her actions were of the highest calibre of treason; we are very fortunate that Lord Lovat saw sense and decided to aide us in our desire to end the revolt before it got started. It is unfortunate however that the Marquess of Forth had to die for that to happen. Consequently, we see no other choice but to have her executed.”

“That would be the right decision, Sire.” Cumberland said. “She is far too dangerous to keep alive. She must be gotten rid of and an example made of her.”

“I agree with His Royal Highness, Sire.” The Duke of Perth said. “Lady Marlborough is a threat to the stability of the Kingdom.”

James nodded, but saw that Lord Aberdeen looked slightly uncomfortable. He fixed his gaze on that man and asked him. “You disagree, Lord Aberdeen?”

Gordon sighed. “It is not that I disagree, Sire, Lady Marlborough is a threat that much we all can agree on. It’s the potential ramifications of executing her that I am unsure about. Her husband is the finest general this Kingdom has ever seen; her son is one of Your Majesty’s closest friends and they are tied to some of the great families of the realm. Executing her could cause all sorts of political ramifications that I am not sure are worthwhile.”

“So, what? You think she should just get away with this then?” Cumberland demanded.

“No, Your Royal Highness. I think she should be banished from the Kingdom and told she can never return.” William said.

“Banished to where?” James asked intrigued.

“Somewhere far from here, somewhere we can be sure she will be watched properly and not given any leeway.” William said.

“Hanover for example?” James Radclyffe, Earl of Derwentwater suggested.

“Hanover?” Cumberland asked surprised. “Why there?”

“The Elector of Hanover is a decent man, he has given support to the Kingdom during the last war, and he is someone who knows the problems of having a fickle woman within his Kingdom. Consequently, I see no reason why he wouldn’t keep an eye on Lady Marlborough for His Majesty in return for some funding.” Derwentwater.

“You mean a bribe?” Cumberland asked.

“Same thing is it not?” Derwentwater returned.

James mulled this over, perhaps an execution was too hasty, there was some sense in what had been said. The Churchills had through marriage gained alliances with the Godolphins, the Montagus and the Butlers. All were powerful families and wealthy as well. James wasn’t sure if he wanted to alienate them, and he wasn’t sure whether he truly wanted to end his friendship with John Churchill the Younger over some crime his mother had committed. But he also knew that not punishing her for her crimes would send the wrong signal, and what the woman had done was treason.

He took a breath. “Thank you all very much gentlemen, you’ve spoken honestly and truly, we thank you for that.” He paused, thinking through what he wanted to say then upon deciding he said. “Lady Marlborough’s crime is of the highest sort, and thus deserves a fitting punishment. Her husband and son have given us great service but that should not stop justice from being served. Therefore, we have decided that she shall be executed and her husband and children stripped of their posts at court and sent back to their estates.”

“Your Majesty.” His advisors said.

“Thank you, you are all dismissed.” James replied. Once they had gone, James rang a bell and his chief groomsman appeared. “You know what to do.”

“Sire.” The man replied.

“Ensure nobody sees you.” James said.

“Sire.” The man said, bowing once before departing. James sighed then, wondering why he had to clean up the mess his sister had made, and wondering how he could ensure she never made another one.

I probably overthought all this but here is my take and speculation on the events:

Chapter 122: The King’s Will

August, 1715

Well then, I can see the merits of why James wants her dead and I can clearly see the merits of Aberdeen's and Derwentwater's argument for banishment.

The letter looks like the last gasp of "I'm not guilty as X and therefore focus on X because I am not the worst person here" which no one is buying.

I can't say if the execution is the better option over banishment, I thought she would be banished to Ireland or the Colonies but well, this will have interesting repercussions. Especially in terms of Lord Marlborough because wh is in line to replace him as main general and are they at least as competent as Marlborough is?

James mulled this over, perhaps an execution was too hasty, there was some sense in what had been said. The Churchills had through marriage gained alliances with the Godolphins, the Montagus and the Butlers. All were powerful families and wealthy as well. James wasn’t sure if he wanted to alienate them, and he wasn’t sure whether he truly wanted to end his friendship with John Churchill the Younger over some crime his mother had committed. But he also knew that not punishing her for her crimes would send the wrong signal, and what the woman had done was treason.

He took a breath. “Thank you all very much gentlemen, you’ve spoken honestly and truly, we thank you for that.” He paused, thinking through what he wanted to say then upon deciding he said. “Lady Marlborough’s crime is of the highest sort, and thus deserves a fitting punishment. Her husband and son have given us great service but that should not stop justice from being served. Therefore, we have decided that she shall be executed and her husband and children stripped of their posts at court and sent back to their estates.”

In terms of the Marlborough's and the other powerful families will this make them enemies of the King because while you have just executed a powerful member, there is also clear evidence of Treason which no one can dispute and so these families if they put up a fuss in parliament will probably run into those who defended the King, probably spearheaded by Lord Lovat and therefore the King will know he has both support and those four families will know that they will not just be opposing the King but powerful lords as well.

I am also wondering what the common man thinks of this because if the Godolphins, the Montagus and the Butlers act then they are going to have to deal with the soldiers in the army who respect Marlborough but fight for the King or those living in cities and countryside who will probably be shocked at Lady Marlborough's treason if it ever gets out - this is still a country where the Civil wars of the 1630's and 40's are still just within living memory and will be obvious to the elites.

“Thank you, you are all dismissed.” James replied. Once they had gone, James rang a bell and his chief groomsman appeared. “You know what to do.”

“Sire.” The man replied.

“Sire.” The man said, bowing once before departing. James sighed then, wondering why he had to clean up the mess his sister had made, and wondering how he could ensure she never made another one.

Finally, this sounds ominous - is the servants "Knowing what to do" aimed at the execution of Lady Marlborough, Dealing with Lord Mar or At Anne his sister - very interesting indeed.

Edit: I wonder what is going through the mind of Lord Marlborough and His Son because think about it, your good friends with the royal family, your on top of the world and seem likely to have secured your family a good life and then suddenly your Wife/Mother commits treason against your King/Best friend, I can not begin to imagine the inner turmoil that must cause.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
I probably overthought all this but here is my take and speculation on the events:

Well then, I can see the merits of why James wants her dead and I can clearly see the merits of Aberdeen's and Derwentwater's argument for banishment.

The letter looks like the last gasp of "I'm not guilty as X and therefore focus on X because I am not the worst person here" which no one is buying.

I can't say if the execution is the better option over banishment, I thought she would be banished to Ireland or the Colonies but well, this will have interesting repercussions. Especially in terms of Lord Marlborough because wh is in line to replace him as main general and are they at least as competent as Marlborough is?

In terms of the Marlborough's and the other powerful families will this make them enemies of the King because while you have just executed a powerful member, there is also clear evidence of Treason which no one can dispute and so these families if they put up a fuss in parliament will probably run into those who defended the King, probably spearheaded by Lord Lovat and therefore the King will know he has both support and those four families will know that they will not just be opposing the King but powerful lords as well.

I am also wondering what the common man thinks of this because if the Godolphins, the Montagus and the Butlers act then they are going to have to deal with the soldiers in the army who respect Marlborough but fight for the King or those living in cities and countryside who will probably be shocked at Lady Marlborough's treason if it ever gets out - this is still a country where the Civil wars of the 1630's and 40's are still just within living memory and will be obvious to the elites.

Finally, this sounds ominous - is the servants "Knowing what to do" aimed at the execution of Lady Marlborough, Dealing with Lord Mar or At Anne his sister - very interesting indeed.

All very valid points, in terms of the four families, Godolphin owed his rise to the Royal Family otl, and his son would be painfully aware of that, so I can't see him acting up. The Montagus and the Butlers are another matter however, and the latter is related to who would replace Marlborough as chief general.

It's a toss up between James' half brother, the Duke of Berwick and Newcastle, or the Duke of Ormonde who happens to be the father in law of Marlborough's son.

“Sire.” The man replied.

Is it me or is Sarah going to have an accident or commit suicide?;)