Beyond the Genesis-An Alternate Video Game History

I'd suggest maybe if the FMV games weren't so crappy then maybe things would have turned out better, but I think that's too many ADBs.

Oh I just realized I forgot to mention AM7 in the update. I will update that later but AM7 is still in tact and still headed by Noriyoshi Oba and Reiko Kodama is still working there. There is definitely a chance of Phantasy Star V before Skies, especially with a successful Sega console this generation.

Nintendo will have the dream team and it will be better than OTL. They have a few things to announce at E3 and they might even acquire some of those studios.

Unnm so the studio is still safe, so overworks can be made later, excellent hope Kodama can keep the Phantasy Star Traditional Line Alive and have more sucessful RPG.

Umm pretty Nice, at least nintendo is playing his card as good as otl, waiting how things unfold

E3 1996

ATARI
Atari kicked off the second E3 with a bigger, flashier presentation than last year, obviously trying to compete with Sega’s 1995 conference. They started the show by confirming the Panther had sold over 10 million units and that it was the top-selling next-gen console. They continued by talking about the Panther CD and how its CD format and additional processing power made it more competitive than ever, leading up to the announcement of the Panther Hybrid, combining the Panther and Panther CD into one console, complete with a new updated CPU set running at 32 MHz. The Panther Hybrid was set to launch in June at $199.

Atari followed up this announcement by mentioning one of their recent acquisitions, Team17. They praised the quality and success of Worms and followed up by showing off a new Panther exclusive entry in their Body Blows fighting franchise, titled Body Blows 3. They also revealed Alien Breed 3D Chronicles for the Panther CD. Both titles would be available in the second half of 1996. Atari also briefly mentioned its acquisition of Ubisoft and that an enhanced edition of Rayman would be coming to the Panther CD.

3DO
Trip Hawkins took the stage for 3DO’s second E3 with great confidence. He thanked the gamers for the success of 3DO and also thanked those who wish to pick up 3DO in the future, further stating “And today, I will give you reason to join us in this gaming revolution.”

The first announcement was a price cut for all 3DO models. 3DO models would now start at $199.

Hawkins praised partners who worked on the 3DO platform for being the reason it sold millions of units worldwide and promised expanded partnerships, several which would be revealed during this conference. The first was a partnership with Sony Imagesoft with three games from developer SingleTrac, Twisted Metal 2 and Jet Moto and an extreme sports title called Cool Boarders.

The next partnership announced was with Universal Interactive Studios and Naughty Dog, revealing a 3DO exclusive platformer titled Crash Bandicoot as well as an exclusive first-person shooter developed by Insomniac Games called Disruptor.

After the success of Policenauts, 3DO expanded their deal with Konami, announcing a 3DO version of Snatcher and a localization Metal Gear 1 and 2 on a single disc. They also announced a new 3D Contra subtitled Legacy of War.

Possibly their biggest partnership was with Crystal Dynamics. They revealed Blazing Dragons, Pandemonium, 3D Baseball, and Slam ‘N Jam ’96 exclusively for the 3DO. Their most exciting announcement was a new IP that the 3DO Company would co-publish with Crystal Dynamics called Blood Omen.

After the huge number of software announcements, Hawkins was ready to show the future of 3DO.

“We want the 3DO to be the convenience of a console, with the power and flexibility of a PC.”
-Trip Hawkins, E3 1996

Trip Hawkins revealed 3DO’s plans for the M2 Project. The M2 Project would be both the successor and expansion for the current 3DO consoles. Hawkins described the following: “an M2 upgrade unit would be available to hook up to your current 3DO to increase its power, much like you could with a PC, but also much simpler and affordable. So that without the cost of a new console, you can have the power of a new console.”

Hawkins also announced that brand new 3DO M2 consoles would be manufactured for those who haven’t yet purchased a 3DO. He promised more to be revealed in the coming year and ended the conference with some M2 tech demos of a racing game and a shooter.

SEGA
Sega came to the stage celebrating record breaking launch sales for the Sega Evolution. They then showed Tomb Raider from their newest acquisition, Core Design, revealing an October launch for the title.

Next up was their Sega Sports 1996 line-up for Evolution, Game Gear, and Genesis.

They then showed a montage of Game Gear games, including a port of Guardian Heroes, followed by a price cut for the Game Gear X, bringing it down to $99 US dollars.

Moving back to the Evolution, they unveiled Dead or Alive, the debut fighter from their newest Japanese studio, Ninja Team.

They revealed a new title from Sonic Team called NiGHTS into Dreams… which went on to become one of the most hyped summer releases. Sonic Team then live demoed Sonic Evolution, the first 3D entry in the Sonic franchise. It blew gamers away and defined the show. It was revealed for a November release.

Sega gave another reason to own their console toward the end of the show by cutting the price to $299.

NINTENDO
Nintendo had a lot to live up to and a lot to compete with, going into their second E3. They began by revealing Game Boy Color, an upgrade to the current Game Boy, but the games would now be in color and could compete with their competitors at Sega. Another perk was that original Game Boy games could be played in color. Along with the new Game Boy Color, they announced a title by the name of Pokemon. Pokemon was an RPG where you capture and battle monsters. The Game Boy Color would launch in November at $129.

Next up was the Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System. Nintendo’s 64-bit next-gen console. They detailed the system and finally the games. They began by showing more of Super Mario 3D Adventure and confirmed it would be packed in with the Ultra Nintendo at launch in August. Other launch titles would include PilotWings, Tekken 2 from Namco, and Resident Evil from Capcom.

Nintendo continued by showing The Legend of Zelda: Magic Medallions, announcing a 1997 release. They also revealed Ultra Mario Kart due for holiday release. Developer Rareware showed Blast Corps and GoldenEye 007, a shooter based on the James Bond license.

Square brought two games to the stage, Tobal No.1, a fighting game that would launch with the UNES and Final Fantasy VII, the newest entry in their RPG series, due in 1997.

In addition to their strong partnerships with Japanese companies, Nintendo revealed that they were working with several western developers and publishers to bring exclusive titles to the Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System. The first partner revealed was Acclaim Entertainment, with Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, a new first-person shooter designed exclusively for the Ultra Nintendo. The next partner was LucasArts, revealing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. They also announced that some future Star Wars titles would appear first on the Ultra Nintendo. They also announced that they were continuing their partnership with Argonaut Software on a third Star Fox title due the next year.

So this alive, excellent and in the biggest gaming party again

Let's wait how thing unfold, Atari was late to old gen and still to soon to next gen, they easily can suffer a dreamcast scenario next gen, at least software quality is improving and people care about the games and third party too.

3DO seem surviving and improving, even the M2 have a little hope here but seems minor, but maybe can work, the price is reasonable, the 3DO group is improving and third parties are care and games are become better.

Interesting for Konami, big support as OTL and even better, so Maybe Metal Gear Solid will be M2 killer app(even kojima think about Metal Gear 3 for 3DO)

Sega have become better that ever, and Game Gear X not looks that bad and the system have a bright future and will not made otl screw up with Saturn

Sonic Team made thing possible and was able to made NIGHT and made Sonic in 3d early, excellent, the evolution have a lot of things for the future.

[/QUOTE]

And Nintendo Stikes back, the lauch looks much packed that otl(and brutal jump too, N64 was Mario box until turok) and the first and third party games looks excellent, both square games, the famed turok and the amazing Lucasarts N64 games, and keeping the partial exclusivity as OTL was excellent.

Excellent update, the timeline become better and better, keep going in that way.

More Gaming News From '96

MICROSOFT GAMING VP PRAISES 3DO
Microsoft’s VP of game publishing, Ed Fries has commented on 3DO’s M2 upgrade concept: “This is the way to go. If executed properly, this is the future of game consoles, leading to the inevitable merger between video game console and computer.”

When asked if Microsoft would look into developing a console similar to 3DO, Fries replied with the following: “Expanding our horizons is always something we are looking into, but we are software focused first. 3DO has done a spectacular job in switching up the playing field and we definitely appreciate that.”

A SNOWY DAY AT INTERPLAY
Interplay Entertainment has acquired developer Blizzard Entertainment for $12 million. The studio will be launching their new title Diablo on the PC this December.

RUMOR: APPLE TO DEVELOP VIDEO GAME CONSOLE
There are rumors from a close source suggesting that Apple is looking into making acquisitions to expand the company. These rumors include the possibility that Apple may acquire one of the companies already making consoles.

More Gaming News From '96

MICROSOFT GAMING VP PRAISES 3DO
Microsoft’s VP of game publishing, Ed Fries has commented on 3DO’s M2 upgrade concept: “This is the way to go. If executed properly, this is the future of game consoles, leading to the inevitable merger between video game console and computer.”

When asked if Microsoft would look into developing a console similar to 3DO, Fries replied with the following: “Expanding our horizons is always something we are looking into, but we are software focused first. 3DO has done a spectacular job in switching up the playing field and we definitely appreciate that.”

A SNOWY DAY AT INTERPLAY
Interplay Entertainment has acquired developer Blizzard Entertainment for $12 million. The studio will be launching their new title Diablo on the PC this December.

RUMOR: APPLE TO DEVELOP VIDEO GAME CONSOLE
There are rumors from a close source suggesting that Apple is looking into making acquisitions to expand the company. These rumors include the possibility that Apple may acquire one of the companies already making consoles.

NOW THIS TRULLY BEGIN, the next gen resuffled will happen soon. and i can see some interesting movement at future(not comment, will not ruined the surpise)

MS is interested with 3d0 and maybe will affect both companies at future?

Umm how that happened? but a warcraft inspired Fallout will be gloriuous, betsheda will need other ip in the future

Umm Apple, without Pippin fiasco and wanting to expand their portfolio that can happen, and there a company will need a powerful backer in the future.

THose were big teaser, if can do more soon, will be amazing buddy.

Quite interesting does the N64DD still happen?

Also what about the expansion pak?

Great updates btw

Also does FFVII Still stay N64 exclusive if so it might be important for the 64DD to survive it was developed for that and jumped to PS1 when it was cancelled

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for following.

NOW THIS TRULLY BEGIN, the next gen resuffled will happen soon. and i can see some interesting movement at future(not comment, will not ruined the surpise)

MS is interested with 3d0 and maybe will affect both companies at future?

Umm how that happened? but a warcraft inspired Fallout will be gloriuous, betsheda will need other ip in the future

Umm Apple, without Pippin fiasco and wanting to expand their portfolio that can happen, and there a company will need a powerful backer in the future.

THose were big teaser, if can do more soon, will be amazing buddy.

Microsoft will definitely be looking at 3DO for inspiration in this timeline. Interplay was interested in buying Blizzard in OTL but it never happened. I thought it would be great if it did happen. Interplay will do much better in this timeline. The big news about Apple's acquisition is coming tomorrow.

Quite interesting does the N64DD still happen?

Also what about the expansion pak?

Great updates btw

Also does FFVII Still stay N64 exclusive if so it might be important for the 64DD to survive it was developed for that and jumped to PS1 when it was cancelled

The Ultra Nintendo has much more cartridge space than OTL N64 and therefore the 64DD add-on is not needed. Also, the Ultra Nintendo has 8 MB RAM built into the system so the expansion pak is not needed either. However, Ultra Nintendo comes in at $299, a little more expensive than OTL console.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for following.

Microsoft will definitely be looking at 3DO for inspiration in this timeline. Interplay was interested in buying Blizzard in OTL but it never happened. I thought it would be great if it did happen. Interplay will do much better in this timeline. The big news about Apple's acquisition is coming tomorrow.

Umm and pretty big, but MS policies were buying similar or competiros to enter that market, and that can make massive butterflies.

Yeah, as say, Fallout 3 will not fall into development hell and maybe blizzard will be better at long term, not depending the cash cow that is WoW

I've my idea of Apple acqusition, tomorrow i'll be right or Jossed

Spoiler:( THEY WILL GRAB ATARI

The Ultra Nintendo has much more cartridge space than OTL N64 and therefore the 64DD add-on is not needed. Also, the Ultra Nintendo has 8 MB RAM built into the system so the expansion pak is not needed either. However, Ultra Nintendo comes in at $299, a little more expensive than OTL console.

Umm yeah, having both N64DD disk and memory omboard will do wonder, and will be interesting how games will unfold(specially zelda, not delayed as much as OTL) and the high price tag worth it, but again a second expansion back to 12MB to high quality image is still possible if someone wanted it....

Excellent post, waiting for more tomorrow. excelllent work so far

BREAKING NEWS: APPLE BUYS ATARI
August 1996
604px-Apple_logo_Think_Different_vectorized_svg.png

As recent rumors have suggested, Apple Computer Inc. is keen on getting in on the growing video game industry. Today, they bought the maker of several video game consoles, Atari. Apple has confirmed that Atari’s most recent console, the Panther would continue be supported, but that focus will start to shift toward the new Apple game console. They also announced that they would bring titles like Rayman to Macintosh in wake of this new buyout. Apple says to look out for what's next in the coming years. All we can say is that it will be a very different world when Apple launches its video game system.

ULTRA NINTENDO LAUNCHES
Nintendo's new, ultra-powerful 64-bit gaming console launched today and gamers are ecstatic. The new generation of consoles are finally all here and the Ultra Nintendo has had great reviews so far and is packed with the spectacular Super Mario 3D Adventure, which is revolutionizing gaming as we speak. The title is receiving rave reviews everywhere and has been dubbed "the future of 3D video games".

Launch Titles Available for the Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
PilotWings
Resident Evil
Super Mario 3D Adventure
Tekken 2
Tobal No. 1
Wave Race

Now that all of the fifth generation consoles have released, here is a comparison of them.
fifthgencomparison2.jpg

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS: APPLE BUYS ATARI
August 1996
604px-Apple_logo_Think_Different_vectorized_svg.png

As recent rumors have suggested, Apple Computer Inc. is keen on getting in on the growing video game industry. Today, they bought the maker of several video game consoles, Atari. Apple has confirmed that Atari’s most recent console, the Panther would continue be supported, but that focus will start to shift toward the new Apple game console. They also announced that they would bring titles like Rayman to Macintosh in wake of this new buyout. Apple says to look out for what's next in the coming years. All we can say is that it will be a very different world when Apple launches its video game system.

2012-09-11_084505_I_Called_It!.JPG

Without Pippin and wanting new market this can work, and would made thing interesting when MS join the fray(buying either SEGA or 3DO?).
Simple that was a open secret but a nice one buddy, keep going how that evolved(and how a future 'Atari' will be)

ULTRA NINTENDO LAUNCHES
Nintendo's new, ultra-powerful 64-bit gaming console launched today and gamers are ecstatic. The new generation of consoles are finally all here and the Ultra Nintendo has had great reviews so far and is packed with the spectacular Super Mario 3D Adventure, which is revolutionizing gaming as we speak. The title is receiving rave reviews everywhere and has been dubbed "the future of 3D video games".

Launch Titles Available for the Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
PilotWings
Resident Evil
Super Mario 3D Adventure
Tekken 2
Tobal No. 1
Wave Race

Now that all of the fifth generation consoles have released, here is a comparison of them.
fifthgencomparison2.jpg

This Launch is Amazing, With Mario bundled, my young self would catch Wave race and maybe tekken and my father Resident Evil , a total improvement from OTL,.

The comparation table is amazing, show us how are the situation(3DO and Atari are practically a genetation behind in power but not features) and long term will be interesting how thing changes and console cicles will be much different. excellent work buddy, wanting more updates

Interesting will MS buy 3DO Company?

Also what about Retro Studios will Nintendo still buy them out?

This possible, OTL microsoft tried to court nintendo and later try to bought collapsing SEGA, anything is possible and the future still is long

Umm, as Turok:Dinosaur hunter still happen and Acclaim will screw Jeff Spangleberg and Iguana, is possible, and as wester third party will be more fought is possible nintendo will still comission retro as second party.

Interesting will MS buy 3DO Company?

Also what about Retro Studios will Nintendo still buy them out?

I usually try not to answer questions about the future of the timeline because I like to surprise you guys :D. However, I will say things are going in the direction that it is still definitely possible and with more trust in western developers from Nintendo, we might see an even bigger Retro.

As for Microsoft buying 3DO, its one of their options. It is also an option to directly compete. ;)

Also, feel free to ask any questions that I may not have covered in my writing up until 1996, because I have some stuff in my head that I may not have written up. Things like the status of other publishers/developers/etc.

2012-09-11_084505_I_Called_It!.JPG

Without Pippin and wanting new market this can work, and would made thing interesting when MS join the fray(buying either SEGA or 3DO?).
Simple that was a open secret but a nice one buddy, keep going how that evolved(and how a future 'Atari' will be)

Yup! You've called a lot of this timeline haha. The rest of the fifth generation will be an all out war and the battlefield will be quite different by the sixth generation.

This Launch is Amazing, With Mario bundled, my young self would catch Wave race and maybe tekken and my father Resident Evil , a total improvement from OTL,.

The comparation table is amazing, show us how are the situation(3DO and Atari are practically a genetation behind in power but not features) and long term will be interesting how thing changes and console cicles will be much different. excellent work buddy, wanting more updates

Yeah, I felt I could do a plausible, balanced launch for the UNES. It would have been great if it happened that way OTL. As for the comparison table, I had worked pretty hard on that. I even built my own UNES console in photoshop using pieces from the N64 and 64DD. Atari and 3DO may be behind in power but 3DO M2 is coming in 1997 and Apple is entering the race in a few years time. They are just going to try and let the Panther ride out the rest of its time and have some new Mac ports.

I usually try not to answer questions about the future of the timeline because I like to surprise you guys :D. However, I will say things are going in the direction that it is still definitely possible and with more trust in western developers from Nintendo, we might see an even bigger Retro.

As for Microsoft buying 3DO, its one of their options. It is also an option to directly compete. ;)

Also, feel free to ask any questions that I may not have covered in my writing up until 1996, because I have some stuff in my head that I may not have written up. Things like the status of other publishers/developers/etc.

Umm yeah that keep the mistery and the details of the TL, but we can still read betwen lines and loooks like i was true that western third party become more fought with more western consoles, will be interesting if console have exclusives worth to buy it(or rent it).

Umm MS will be interesting, waiting what they do.

Yup! You've called a lot of this timeline haha. The rest of the fifth generation will be an all out war and the battlefield will be quite different by the sixth generation.

Umm for me the war will be Nintendo ans Sega for the gold, and 3DO and Atari the bronze, and thing will be interesting for the end of the generation, as the companies consolidated or the changes make them rethink their strategies.

Yeah, I felt I could do a plausible, balanced launch for the UNES. It would have been great if it happened that way OTL. As for the comparison table, I had worked pretty hard on that. I even built my own UNES console in photoshop using pieces from the N64 and 64DD. Atari and 3DO may be behind in power but 3DO M2 is coming in 1997 and Apple is entering the race in a few years time. They are just going to try and let the Panther ride out the rest of its time and have some new Mac ports.

Yeah and the game are pretty variated, and the future will be far more interesting.

Depend, OTL M2 was nothing imprersived, here would be more interesting but more parity with Evolution and UNES, the true jump will be if atari made a dreamcast in 1999 to kickstart the sixth generation, as Ataris is far weakest of all but Apple muscle will help in long term(maybe Marathon being ported and Halo as Atari flagship?)

Waiting for more buddy, amazing timeline and the periodical updates are lovely

Total Consoles Sold Worldwide by the end of 1996
SNES: 49 Million
Sega Genesis: 31 Million
Atari Panther: 10.3 Million
3DO: 10 Million
Sega Evolution: 6.5 Million
Ultra Nintendo: 3.4 Million

Game Boy: 89 Million
Game Gear: 36 Million
Game Boy Color: 1 Million

NOTABLE GAMES OF 1996
Format= Title (Platform) Publisher-Developer

Q1 1996
Civilization II (PC) MicroProse
Duke Nukem 3D (PC) GT Interactive-3D Realms
Krazy Ivan (3DO,PC) Psygnosis
Resident Evil (EVO) Capcom
Super Mario RPG (SNES) Nintendo-Square

Q2 1996
Barbarian 3D (3DO,PC) Psygnosis-Beam Software
CyberStorm (PC) Sierra Entertainment-Dynamix
Quake (PC) GT Interactive-id Software

Q3 1996
Body Blows 3 (PTR,PTRCD) Atari-Team 17
Crash Bandicoot (3DO) Universal Interactive-Naughty Dog
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (PC) Bethesda Softworks
Formula 1 (3DO,PC) Psygnosis-Bizarre Creations
Metal Gear 1&2 (3DO) Konami
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (EVO,UNES,PTRCD,PC) Midway/GT Interactive-Midway (UNES), Avalanche Software (3DO,PTRCD), Point of View (PC,EVO)
NiGHTS into Dreams… (EVO) Sega-Sonic Team
PilotWings (UNES) Nintendo-Paradigm Entertainment
Rayman: CD Edition (PTRCD) Atari-Ubisoft
Resident Evil (UNES version) Capcom
Slam N’ Jam ’96 (3DO) Crystal Dynamics
Super Mario 3D Adventure (UNES) Nintendo
Tekken 2 (3DO,EVO,UNES,PTRCD) Namco
Tobal No. 1 (UNES) Square
Wave Race (UNES) Nintendo
WipeOut 2097 (3DO,PC) Psygnosis

Q4 1996
3D Baseball (3DO) Crystal Dynamics
Alien Breed 3D Chronicles (PTRCD) Atari-Team 17
Blazing Dragons (3DO) Crystal Dynamics-The Illusions Gaming Company
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (3DO) Crystal Dynamics-Silicon Knights
Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC) Virgin Interactive-Westwood Studios
Cool Boarders (3DO) Sony Imagesoft-UEP Systems
Destruction Derby 2 (3DO, PC) Psygnosis-Reflections Interactive
Diablo (PC) Interplay Entertainment-Blizzard Entertainment
Disruptor (3DO) Universal Interactive-Insomniac Games
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) Nintendo-Rareware
Jet Moto (3DO) Sony Imagesoft-SingleTrac
Killer Instinct 2 (UNES) Nintendo-Rareware
Lords of the Realm II (PC) Sierra Entertainment-Impressions Games
Master of Orion II (PC) MicroProse-Simtex
Pandemonium! (3DO) Crystal Dynamics
Pokemon Red and Green (GBC) Nintendo-Game Freak
Sonic Evolution (EVO) Sega-Sonic Team
Tomb Raider (EVO) Sega-Core Design
Twisted Metal 2 (3DO) Sony Imagesoft-SingleTrac
Ultra Mario Kart (UNES) Nintendo

Last edited:
Headlines from 1997

PSYGNOSIS ACQUIRES IMAGESOFT
Sony announced that they were selling off their video game publishing arm to focus on development of future hardware. They confirmed they would still participate in the game industry by developing future 3DO hardware. Video game publisher Psygnosis has announced that they are acquiring the Imagesoft division from Sony.

3DO COMPANY ACQUIRES CRYSTAL DYNAMICS
The 3DO Company has had close ties with developer Crystal Dynamics over the years and it has now made the move to fully acquire the studio.

GT INTERACTIVE BUYS MICROPROSE
GT Interactive has purchased MicroProse in a $250 million deal, giving it the assets for Civilization, Masters of Orion, X-COM, and many others.

ACTIVISION MAKES DEAL WITH SIMCITY DEV
SimCity developer Maxis has made a deal with Activision to publish future titles, starting with SimCity 3000 and continuing with an unannounced project.

TRIPLE THREAT: SIERRA, MINDSCAPE, AND BR0DERBUND MERGE
In another huge merger this year, three major video game publishers have combined into a single company. Sierra On-Line, Mindscape, and Br0derbund have merged into a single Sierra Entertainment brand. This also includes the Strategic Simulations Interactive label and the Dungeons & Dragons license.

APPLE WILL NOT APPEAR AT E3
Apple Inc., which acquired Atari last year, will not be making an appearance at this year’s E3. The possibility of showing up at future E3s was not ruled out, but they will not be appearing this year.

ACCLAIM BUYS MIDWAY
Acclaim Entertainment has made a deal, acquiring Midway and it's video game assets from WMS Industries.

MEGA MERGER: SEGA AND BANDAI SET TO JOIN FORCES
As Sega seemed to be losing Japan, they reached a deal with Bandai to merge, creating Sega Bandai Holdings, one of the biggest companies in the world. Makoto Yamashina is expected to take the reins as Sega Bandai of Japan’s President.

Last edited:
Total Consoles Sold Worldwide by the end of 1996
SNES: 49 Million
Sega Genesis: 31 Million
Atari Panther: 10.3 Million
3DO: 10 Million
Sega Evolution: 6.5 Million
Ultra Nintendo: 3.4 Million

Game Boy: 89 Million
Game Gear: 36 Million
Game Boy Color: 600,000

Numbers are OTL, but Gamegear is too high and GBC too low but still nice numbers.

3DO is like OTL 3D0 plus early ps1 sales, evolution are a big sucess, sega would be taking out the champagne of celebration, those number are aamzing, and N64 is even better otl(for 400k copies) and tonly one year in the market. Atari simple reborn, the rest of the gen will be brutal.

Headlines from 1997

PSYGNOSIS ACQUIRES IMAGESOFT
Sony announced that they were selling off their video game publishing arm to focus on development of future hardware. They confirmed they would still participate in the game industry by developing future 3DO hardware. Video game publisher Psygnosis has announced that they are acquiring the Imagesoft division from Sony.

3DO COMPANY ACQUIRES CRYSTAL DYNAMICS
The 3DO Company has had close ties with developer Crystal Dynamics over the years and it has now made the move to fully acquire the studio.

So Sony this pure Hardware Makers, so legeend of dragon and gran turismo are butterfly away? with CD that means Legacy of Kain, GEX and others game would be now under 3DO group, that can help the system for a while.

GT INTERACTIVE BUYS MICROPROSE
GT Interactive has purchased MicroProse in a $250 million deal, giving it the assets for Civilization, Masters of Orion, X-COM, and many others.

ACTIVISION MAKES DEAL WITH SIMCITY DEV
SimCity developer Maxis has made a deal with Activision to publish future titles, starting with SimCity 3000 and continuing with an unannounced project.

TRIPLE THREAT: SIERRA, MINDSCAPE, AND BR0DERBUND MERGE
In another huge merger this year, three major video game publishers have combined into a single company. Sierra On-Line, Mindscape, and Br0derbund have merged into a single Sierra Entertainment brand.

PC gaming save, as EA don't put his venom claw in those, that is pretty nice, those companies were brutally killed by EA in OTL(specially the Sims)

APPLE WILL NOT APPEAR AT E3
Apple Inc., which acquired Atari last year, will not be making an appearance at this year’s E3. The possibility of showing up at future E3s was not ruled out, but they will not be appearing this year.

ACCLAIM BUYS MIDWAY
Acclaim Entertainment has made a deal, acquiring Midway and it's video game assets from WMS Industries.

So Apple is taking their time, if they follow sega example, will tease thee new hardware next year and released in full in 1999,taking some time to explot the panther to the max before can die.

MEGA MERGER: SEGA AND BANDAI SET TO JOIN FORCES
As Sega seemed to be losing Japan, they reached a deal with Bandai to merge, creating Sega Bandai Holdings, one of the biggest companies in the world. Makoto Yamashina is expected to take the reins as Sega Bandai of Japan’s President.[/QUOTE]

giphy.gif

That was the biggest lose chance OTL, they were so close to merge but sega intenral issues and saturn fiasco worldwide make difficult to happen and later sony and namco blocked Nintendo attemps.

Excellent POD, Sega will be a Titan Worlwide, what Counter Measure has Nintendo in the works?.

Excellent post, I loved your style and format, specially your atention to details and invetagation of the things, excelelnt so far waiting for more buddy