Beyond the Genesis-An Alternate Video Game History

I noticed I didn't really mention the following two huge games in the last generation, so I will add them now.

gt2boxartcopy.jpg

Gran Turismo is a franchise released by Konami on 3DO consoles

legendofdragoonboxcopycopy.jpg

The Legend of Dragoon is released by Square for the Ultra Nintendo

Umm so gran turismo was saved(the game was made directly from Sony,the game made by Sony money) but still Konami have other franchise to play arround.

Who, yeah seems Legend of Dragoon Team never abandoned square here, that would be nice seeing a follow up to Q or Amaze.

Other games who have been save or were butterfly away?

(Umm will Nintendo buy DMA, Angel studios or other of the dream team? they would need manpower for the Q)

GAMEFORCE REVIEW HIGHLIGHTS OF 2000

Air NiGHTS (EVO): 9 “Air NiGHTS delivers the most visually stunning experience on the Nexus.”

Dinosaur Planet (UNES): 9.5 “The perfect platformer for the holiday season.”

Duke Nukem Forever (WX): 8.5 “Duke’s new game is a satisfying experience.”

Eternal Darkness (M2): 10 “Eternal Darkness is the best and scariest horror adventure we have experienced…ever.”

Galleon (NEX): 9 “Galleon is another great title from Toby Gard and the guys at Core Design…"

Halo (GC): 9 “Halo sets the standard for third-person shooters and multiplayer.”

Infinity II: Fall of the Gods (WIN/MAC): 9 “Infinity II continues to do what the first one did, but even better…The story concludes in an unexpected way and let's just say if there is an Infinity III it will be interesting to see where BioWare takes it.”

Mortal Kombat V (NEX/GC/WX): 9 “An amazing transition into the new generation for the franchise.”

Quiver: Xen (WX): 10 “Xen is an outstanding sequel to Quiver and the game to get for Windows X.”

Pirates! 2 (WIN/MAC): 8.5 “Despite not having Sid Meier on board, Pirates! 2 is a sequel worth of the Pirates name.”

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (GGT): 9 “A great new 2D entry in the Sonic franchise…Feels just like the originals.”

Sonic Smash Tennis (EVO): 9.5 “Sonic smashes into the sports genre with a fast and smooth game that will supply you with endless hours of fun.”

Super Mario 3D Land (GBA): 9.5 “I still cannot believe that I am experiencing this on a handheld.”

Thrill Kill 2 (GC/M2/EVO/UNES): 9 “The perfect fighting game for those who aren’t upgrading consoles for Mortal Kombat V just yet.”

Too Human (M2): 9 “An epic sci-fi adventure that spans 5 discs and somehow manages to stay interesting the entire time.”

Total Annihilation 2 (WX): 10 “The amazing soundtrack returns and now we get Total Annihilation in 3D. No complaints here.”

Wrath (WX): 8.5 “John Romero has claimed that this is the game that Quake was meant to be. Wrath is a fun action game where you are basically an Aztec inspired god with a hammer. The combat in the game is fun and the destructibility in the game is technically impressive. Unfortunately, the story is not as enjoyable as I hoped it would be. The best part is the bit of lore we get in the player’s manual, but I wish they expanded on the story.”

Game Boy Amaze Launch Line-Up:
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Super Mario 3D Land
Threads of Fate
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2

Windows X Launch Line-Up:
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Conquest: Frontier Wars
Duke Nukem Forever
Escape From Monkey Island
Full Throttle: Payback
Hitman: Codename 47
MechWarrior 4
Mortal Kombat V
NBA Inside Drive 2001
Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights
Quiver: Xen
Redline: Arena
Sacrifice
Total Annihilation 2
Troubleshooter
Wrath
X-COM: Alliance

Sega Nexus Launch Line-Up:
Air NiGHTS
Capcom vs SNK: Millennium Fight
Fur Fighters
Galleon
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Grandia II
Hitman: Codename 47
Jet Grind Radio
Kessen
MSR: Metropolis Street Racer
Mortal Kombat V
Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights
Redline: Arena
Resident Evil 3
Ridge Racer V
Sacrifice
TimeSplitters
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
Troubleshooter

Total Consoles Sold Worldwide by the end of 2000
Sega Evolution: 36 Million
Ultra Nintendo: 31 Million
3DO M2 (consoles and add-ons): 8.1 Million
Apple GameCore: 7 Million
Sega Nexus: 1.2 Million

Game Boy Color: 21 Million
Game Gear Touch: 2.3 Million
Game Boy Amaze: 1.4 Million

NEWS FROM Q1 2001

HASBRO SELLS INTERACTIVE BRANCH
In a surprising announcement, Japanese publisher, Square has picked up Hasbro’s interactive division for $55 million. Included in the deal are the video game rights to Hasbro products such as Dungeons & Dragons and Transformers.

IT’S NINTENDO’S DMA
Nintendo has fully acquired DMA Design, the studio behind Metroid: Harvest. They are expected to have a new game in development for the Q. Could Metroid: Harvest 2 be incoming?

INTERPLAY BUYS BY THE SWORD
Interplay Entertainment has acquired Die by the Sword developer, Treyarch. They are expected to launch Die by the Sword II this September.

TWO NEW FIRE EMBLEMS COMING THIS YEAR
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 came out on the Super Nintendo a couple of years ago, but only in Japan. The great news is that Thracia 776 is being ported and localized on the Game Boy Amaze and will be available this March. The other Fire Emblem is called Fire Emblem: Hero Saga and will be coming to the UNES this June.

THQ BITES INTO BLUE BYTE SOFTWARE
In a recent strategy by THQ to build its portfolio, they have acquired Blue Byte Software, known for their work on The Settlers series.

KOEI-NAMCO MERGER OFFICIAL
Following the recent rumors, Namco and Koei have officially confirmed their merger.

EA ON A BLACK OPS MISSION
Electronic Arts has announced the acquisition of development partner, Black Ops Entertainment. The studio will be renamed EA Santa Monica and are working on two unannounced titles.

SHINY ACQUIRED, DAVID PERRY NAMED NEW VP OF BUENA VISTA INTERACTIVE
Shiny Entertainment was acquired by Buena Vista Interactive and as part of the deal, David Perry was named Vice President of Buena Vista Interactive, where he is expected to oversee several games in development.

NOTABLE GAMES OF Q1 2001
Amen: The Awakening (WX) GT Interactive-Cavedog Entertainment
Clive Barker’s Undying (WX) Microsoft-Microsoft Studios LA
Digimon Online (NEX) Sega-Sonic Team
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (NEX) Sega-Sega Santa Monica
Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix (NEX) Eidos Interactive-Kronos Digital Entertainment
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (GBA) Nintendo-Intelligent Systems
King’s Quest IX (WX) Sierra Entertainment
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (NEX) Capcom
Onimusha: Warlords (NEX) Capcom
Star Wars: Starfighter (NEX) LucasArts
Tribes 2 (WX) Sierra Entertainment-Dynamix

NQ%20teaser.jpg

NEWS FROM Q1 2001

HASBRO SELLS INTERACTIVE BRANCH
In a surprising announcement, Japanese publisher, Square has picked up Hasbro’s interactive division for $55 million. Included in the deal are the video game rights to Hasbro products such as Dungeons & Dragons and Transformers.

IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE, nice for the return. let's check what is in the store:

So Square now have a better western publisher now?(rather OTL relied in Sony and EA, and ITTL nintendo) and would be interesting seeing they tackling in D&D(grandaddy of all RPG) and Transformer( a reskinned Front Mission or Xenogear esque game?)

IT’S NINTENDO’S DMA
Nintendo has fully acquired DMA Design, the studio behind Metroid: Harvest. They are expected to have a new game in development for the Q. Could Metroid: Harvest 2 be incoming?

What is that sound? the cries of millon of fanboys in unison, well, if they can pull a MonolithSoft, they would have an interesting open world franchise soon(and Nintendo did experiment with open world in OTL GC with mixed results)(the title should have been is Nintendo's Design, would have been punnier,XD)

INTERPLAY BUYS BY THE SWORD
Interplay Entertainment has acquired Die by the Sword developer, Treyarch. They are expected to launch Die by the Sword II this September.
So they will not be the COD beta factory? hope they can pull a nice fallout.

TWO NEW FIRE EMBLEMS COMING THIS YEAR
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 came out on the Super Nintendo a couple of years ago, but only in Japan. The great news is that Thracia 776 is being ported and localized on the Game Boy Amaze and will be available this March. The other Fire Emblem is called Fire Emblem: Hero Saga and will be coming to the UNES this June.

YEAH. FUCK YEAH, That is why you should have wait in OTL Kaga, with FE5 being Ported(and he wanted to put easy mode because he knew the difficulty) and a improved TRS, that would be awesome, both localized would start the FE boom early.

THQ BITES INTO BLUE BYTE SOFTWARE
In a recent strategy by THQ to build its portfolio, they have acquired Blue Byte Software, known for their work on The Settlers series.

Nice for THQ, hope they pulled it well and have better PC presence.

KOEI-NAMCO MERGER OFFICIAL
Following the recent rumors, Namco and Koei have officially confirmed their merger.

WOW, this is pretty big(well TECMO RIP) and allow a great fusion, with Namco arcades space and sensibilties with Koei PC mastership, both would rock massively in consoles plus having interestign cross adaptation( Namco PC push, Maybe Dinasty Warriors Arcade among others?)

EA ON A BLACK OPS MISSION
Electronic Arts has announced the acquisition of development partner, Black Ops Entertainment. The studio will be renamed EA Santa Monica and are working on two unannounced titles.
Nothing of value was lost

SHINY ACQUIRED, DAVID PERRY NAMED NEW VP OF BUENA VISTA INTERACTIVE
Shiny Entertainment was acquired by Buena Vista Interactive and as part of the deal, David Perry was named Vice President of Buena Vista Interactive, where he is expected to oversee several games in development.
Maybe Earthworm Jim Revival? Maybe interesting Disney games? that have some potential

NOTABLE GAMES OF Q1 2001
Amen: The Awakening (WX) GT Interactive-Cavedog Entertainment
Clive Barker’s Undying (WX) Microsoft-Microsoft Studios LA
Digimon Online (NEX) Sega-Sonic Team
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (NEX) Sega-Sega Santa Monica
Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix (NEX) Eidos Interactive-Kronos Digital Entertainment
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (GBA) Nintendo-Intelligent Systems
King’s Quest IX (WX) Sierra Entertainment
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (NEX) Capcom
Onimusha: Warlords (NEX) Capcom
Star Wars: Starfighter (NEX) LucasArts
Tribes 2 (WX) Sierra Entertainment-Dynamix

NQ%20teaser.jpg

Nice List and that Q tease, the launch showcase must be good(maybe ask kojima both Metal gear in exchange a gift for his son in smash?) hope that big launch buddy

Sorry if a little self promotion, please come and comment to TL comaded by Rysenkari and your server(in my sig)

So Confortius is this thread dead, because I would love to see and read more of it. There aren't to many Video Game time line's and I love that Sega and Nintendo are doing so much better TTL. EDIT In fact i'am rereading it now.

Last edited:
This is pretty darn great, it is way too much fun seeing all the changes. Indeed I love the work you've put into the ATL games, excellent screenshots and very cool ideas. Easily my favourite part.

I think the business & console development side of things is much less plausible, but I can see why/how you got there. It does feel like you're overtly (finger on the scale style) working for what you want, rather than outcomes stemming from the POD however. We all do that of course, but (waggles hands) I dunno. Still I enjoy it and the outcomes are great fun, just don't quite buy it.

Also sorry for this being such a massive post, but it is a nice lengthy timeline and it's been a year and a half since I commented.

The lack of CD-ROM might have them lose some support on big JRPG projects to Sega. However, it won't be as bad as OTL however because there will be bigger cartridge memory

Cartridges murdered Nintendo for the following reasons:
  • Minimum order required by Nintendo, thus if the game failed tons of expensive inventory, thus smaller orders for even mid-sized games, thus failure if a game takes off (see below)
  • Only manufactured by Nintendo, not allowed to make own.
  • Cost. Cost. COST!!!
  • Turn-around time, a CD second printing could make it out while the game was hot, the long lead-time on cartridges was a no-go.
  • Despite all of that Nintendo made TONS of money off cartridges that they were loath to give it up, it also allowed them to launch OTL N64 cheaper than if they had included a CD drive.

ITTL that means Sega, Apple/Atari, and 3DO will all see ex-Nintendo developers. Japanese publishers were less multi-platform than Western ones, so I imagine Sega gets the boost that Sony got IOTL with some going to the 3DO.

Now how can we change that to keep up the level of support *Nintendo is getting in this timeline? The most plausible way is that Nintendo allows favoured nation status for key publishers, allowing them to manufacture their own. This means the big games can still go to Nintendo, much more than IOTL. Of course that still means giving up tons of money, and the other OTL advantages, so ATL Nintendo will probably make a surprising amount less money off the Ultra Nintendo than they did the N64.

Of note IOTL Nintendo didn't really believe in losing money on hardware, so it is good to see $299 Ultra Nintendo because 8 MB of RAM costs way more when the Ultra would have been planned. IOTL memory prices rapidly fell throughout 1996-7 (if you follow the M2 saga, you see them constantly upping memory). In your timeline that should enable Nintendo to make a $100 price cut anytime they want in 1997.
Nintendo also announced that they would be dropping the prices of the UNES and Game Boy Color to $199 and $99 respectively.
Oh, there we go :).

3DO also revealed the M2 exclusive, The Fallen. The Fallen was a new game from Psygnosis that followed law enforcers of the future called The Lords. The Lords maintain a sort of police –state across the U.S. and go after The Fallen, people who refuse to be part of The System. The player can experience the story as either a Lord or Fallen in an experience that includes choices and options that include bribery, corruption, gambling, and violence that cloud both sides of the battle. It would be a launch title for the M2 in November and went on to become one of the most anticipated games at E3.
thefallen.jpg

Straight up love this game, to be honest. Very cool idea. In general what an amazing job on alternate games, if perhaps rather... optimistic :).

Nintendo began the show by showing a trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Magic Medallions. Shigeru Miyamoto then came to the stage to demonstrate the game. The biggest surprise was that the game was in first-person view. Miyamoto expressed how impressed he was with first-person games on the market and thought Zelda would perfectly translate to first-person 3D gameplay. The game was confirmed for a November release.

Very few Japanese first person perspective games were ever made because motion sickness is a huge problem for Japanese people (or was considered such), I honestly can't see any way for Nintendo of TTL to develop anything in first person. Indeed that even effects third person 3D games in Japan, explaining much of the popularity of 2D vs 3D Mario.

I badly badly want to play the game though, and the idea is super-cool... maybe if Nintendo of America wants to develop a cool Zelda spin-off? :).

Daikatana (PC): 8 “John Romero’s new studio has delivered a very good first game. We just wonder what it would look like on Quake II’s engine.”

I was going to ask about Ion Storm. WTF!!! I would love to know what is going on there, because if John Romero remained in charge Daikatana is an unsolvable problem, lol. I'm not going to question too hard though, rich Ion Storm will make amazing games.

ACTIVISION LOOKS THROUGH THE GLASS
Activision has fully acquired developer Looking Glass Studios, the company behind Ultima Underworld and System Shock. They will be publishing its upcoming game, The Dark Project. Rumors were suggesting impending lay-offs at the studio, but Activision has confirmed that no one at Looking Glass will be laid off.

Yeah, for what? Ten minutes? Lol, Activision, you so crazy, these games will sell like they always sell and then lay-offs. (Although if you want to make Thief suddenly explode in popularity, I am cool with that :) ).

There was a game for this year though, that game was Legacy of Kain II-a sequel to 3DO’s hit 1996 title, developed by Silicon Knights.

Well with any luck Denis Dyack pulls off the old PSX era way cooler Too Human concept, but given his, um, personality it seems unlikely. Neat to see another SK developed Kain game though.

Mama Robotnik, on NeoGaf, has tons of information on Kain if you need some source material.

1)otl FFVII of all games started production into n64dd but because nintendo delayed it, Square accepted the proposal of sony of a undisclosed sum for become a second party and moving FFVII in that regard.

I know you don't like Sony Nivek, but you know better: Final Fantasy 64 was purely a tech demo, not in development for the N64 or the DD. Squaresoft made their choice based on CDs vs cartridges/DD for business and storage reasons & Sony's lower royalties. Sony bought into the company later to help them out with the movie. If Nintendo had gone CDs I bet FF VII would have been multiplatform, actually.

(Incidentally I cannot wait to read your massive Sony-Nintendo timeline, it is very high up on my AH priority list :) because I know it'll be amazing, even if we agree on maybe half.)

FINAL FANTASY: THE MOVIE ON HOLD
In an announcement today, Square president, Hisashi Suzuki announced that the Final Fantasy film was on hold and that Square would focus on video games, the industry at which it has excelled over the years.

Yay! But since the movie didn't force Square to merge IOTL [1] [2] [3] hopefully the idiots running it can be stopped from getting owned by Enix.

Ultra Nintendo...

I'm surprised they never went with that OTL.

"Ultra" had trademark problems, alas, because they were planning to.

-----

I very much hope you continue this :).