Burying the Hatchet: A Nintendo/Sega TL

No anniversary post?
I need to come clean. I've been thinking of hitting reset on this timeline for some time. I was real sloppy in the earlier parts and things were not exactly planned out. I've been writing by the seat of my pants for the entire timeline and perhaps resetting would give me some breathing room to plan out and write things ahead of time. Battlefield 1942 didn't even have it's own dedicated chapter.
I know this sounds disappointing since this timeline's has been slowly chugging along for years now and we're on the cusp of a massive corporate buyout and a new console generation. (Which would still happen in event of a reset.)
Plus I now have access to every single Nintendo Power Issue so perhaps older chapters might get an upgrade and there's some things I feel like I could've done better.
Also there was a few things that was purely wish fulfillment on my end without any real right or reason.

If I do hit reset most things would be more or less copy paste from the original but I would review every chapter to see if I could improve anything.

How do you guys feel about it?

I need to come clean. I've been thinking of hitting reset on this timeline for some time. I was real sloppy in the earlier parts and things were not exactly planned out. I've been writing by the seat of my pants for the entire timeline and perhaps resetting would give me some breathing room to plan out and write things ahead of time. Battlefield 1942 didn't even have it's own dedicated chapter.
I know this sounds disappointing since this timeline's has been slowly chugging along for years now and we're on the cusp of a massive corporate buyout and a new console generation. (Which would still happen in event of a reset.)
Plus I now have access to every single Nintendo Power Issue so perhaps older chapters might get an upgrade and there's some things I feel like I could've done better.
Also there was a few things that was purely wish fulfillment on my end without any real right or reason.

If I do hit reset most things would be more or less copy paste from the original but I would review every chapter to see if I could improve anything.

You know, a reset sounds pretty good about now. If you are planning to look through the complete Nintendo Power catalog, throw out the wish fulfillment stuff, keep the Bandai buyout, and fix what was wrong early on, then I would really enjoy a reboot.

Okay, maybe not the Bandai acquisition, but still.

Well, that’s fine by me.

Fine by me, if you think you can put more detail in your old posts by redoing them I'm all for it. 👍

It's better to do it since it seems you would be much more satisfied. Sure, it's unfortunate that we'd be going back to square one, but I think you'll find doing it much more beneficial in the long run. Otherwise you end up feeling the need to update for no other reason than to push something out and, as someone who's written both original fiction and fan fiction in the past, I know from experience people can tell. Plus, you never want something like this to feel like a job; as soon as that happens, you might even begin to sour on the story altogether. Besides, games release nowadays with all sorts of bugs, so I have no problem with this ending up as version 2.0. ;)

If you'd like suggestions on what to change... the Bandai and Hudson Soft buyouts were fun, but perhaps a tad unrealistic. If I had to pick one to keep, I'd say Bandai if for no other reason than Nintendo did express interest IOTL in merging during the late '90s. That said, that's a major event, and I could see it being a knock down, drag out fight with Sony trying to prevent it from happening; a bidding war is almost certain. At that point, their Japanese acquisitions are pretty much done since while Sega is the vanquished foe turned ally, Bandai is a major player. If there's anything else, it would definitely be in the West, but that's harder to pinpoint outside of Rareware as an obvious thing to get/keep.

Last edited:

So you’re gonna start a whole new TL?

I’m curious: other than the missing Battlefield 1942 chapter, what do you feel are the biggest mistakes and instances of unrealistic wish fulfilment that prompted you to restart this TL? Might be helpful for future TL writers to understand what is ‘wrong’ to avoid falling into the same trap.

This was the full Cartoon Network Schedule from July 4-10, 2004.
This was during the beginning of the City Era of Cartoon Network, which ran from June 14, 2004 – May 31, 2007.

Notable changes to OTL
My Life as a Teenage Robot is a Cartoon Network original. A co-production with Frederator Studio. The show is much more successful than IOTL.

Sonic X is one of Cartoon Network’s most popular non-original programming. As such, Cartoon Network began airing the series outside of Miguzi. Airing it every other weekday at 10:30. It also began airing on Toonami’s new Saturday night block.

F-Zero GP Legend benefits from being right after Sonic X and airs on Toonami’s Saturday night block. Using the original Japanese intro theme “The meaning of Truth” when airing on Toonami. The series is notably popular.

Toonami replaces Saturday Video Entertainment System’s full 7 Hours and adds an extra hour. The full Toonami block is now 8 Hours long. In order to fill the full 8 hours anime that was airing or had aired on Adult Swim, such as Cowboy Bebob, Inuyaha, Trigun, Wolf’s Rain, Casse Closed, and Lupin the 3rd started to air on Toonami. Sailor Moon was also notably brought back. After the block, older Cartoon Network shows are aired until 6:00 AM.

View attachment 679224
What software did you use to make this schedule?