Can we prevent the shrinking of the Salton Sea?

I've been enjoying the satellite images of different world locations that my Google Chromecast cycles through, screenaver-like, on my television screen. I found the below shot of the Salton Sea, comprising a portion of that sea's eastern shore at Calipatria evocative.

97694211_10163427738340175_5892949705708535808_o.jpg

In recent decades, this new inland sea has been doing badly, with new water simply not coming in from anywhere and with the ongoing salinization and pollution of the sea making it inhospitable to life.

Is there anything that we can do to change this? Is it possible that the Colorado River flooding that recreated a body of water in the Salton Sink might have been allowed to create a larger body of water? Could California have gotten water allocations that might have accounted for the sea's needs? Might some of the plans to revive the sea, including a sea-level canal, have been politically viable?

marathag

Banned
Just not enough water in the Colorado, you would have to cut out most all of Arizona's allotment.

I'm glad my memories of what it looked like in the '70s are intact, recent are just terrible looking

Just not enough water in the Colorado, you would have to cut out most all of Arizona's allotment.

I'm glad my memories of what it looked like in the '70s are intact, recent are just terrible looking
Sea level canal would help.. But yeah.. Only so much water to go around from the river

Let me expand on this trunking it into the natural extension of the gulf would be ideal..

Problem is the rift Valley on land terminates at the delta for the Colorado in Mexico. This is a wildlife preserve. Top that Mexicalli and several other cities are in the way as well. It's only 30 feet in elevation blocking. It's not improbable or a pipe dream.

But to make it so ships can traverse would be a challenge given the land is populated and of course the delta I would think. Salinity will remain an issue unless you can get even water flow in and out.

Also if you flood the basin the gulf will extend to Indio.. Maybe even further depending on things. This would have regional moisture effects

Last edited:
How much would a maximum Salton Sea change the interior of California? Would Palm Springs become potentially as fertile as the OTL Imperial Valley?

How much would a maximum Salton Sea change the interior of California? Would Palm Springs become potentially as fertile as the OTL Imperial Valley?
Depends if we are talking salt or fresh water. I believe yiu would need all the water if the Colorado to make a difference for the Salton.

Want to correct myself too on my last post. The rift Valley ends at Indio and the beginning of the San Andreas

Historically the Salton has come and gone with the course of the calorado over flows.

The river also being on of the causes for the Salton cut off from the gulf of California.

Even if it was salt water and circulated it would have an effect on the climate of the region if it was hard linked to the ocean.

This also would bring in marine life and make palm springs, Indio and others ports of call for imperial Valley.

Larger question is or does anyone really want to do it. This is mainly desert land. Quite arid.

Last thought is additional water weight may have some effect on the geography and fault lines.

Would it be cool.. Sure better than draining the aral or leaving the toxic mess that the Salton now is