Challenge: Make Berber languages fare better

Using any POD before the Reconquista, make it so that native Berber speakers constitute, at minimum, 40-50% of the total population of the area of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia.

If you can manage to create a state that's at least 70% Berber speaking, you will receive cookies.

Well, there were several Berber revolts from the beginning of the Islamic conquest, the last major one being in 750 AD. The most successful would be be Kusaila (I think I spelled that right), who managed to push the Arabs out of North Africa entirely. Have him do better, and you might see a more independent Berber culture.

Pre-islamic conquest, was the bible translated into Berber? So, at time of islamic conquest, there is an extant literary (religious) tradition? Where were the Donatists? Too far east? They retreat to the hills, convert locals? Or the Arian Vandals convert locals? My history of this area is obviously somewhat vague.

There were some Christian Berber tribes closer to the shore, along with some Jewish ones, believe it or not. As to an actual literary tradition, there was one (they still have their own alphabet), but it was not terribly wide spread amongst the people.