Challenge: Protectionist, isolated world

Can you help me with an idea for a book...

How can we have a world with protectionist economic policies, few international bodies and with restrictive travel regulations. A world in which a well travelled Brit might have been to France twice and Belgium once (visas needed for both). A world in which the majority of goods on sale in country X are manufactured in country X.

I suppose I am thinking of a POD around 1900.

I guess I am thinking mainly about Europe and N. America. Not sure about the rest of the world.

World with protectionist economic policies

As I recall, the last time this occurred it led to the great depression. You are asking for a permanent economic slump.

John J. Reilly came up with an idea that might work. In his scenario WW3 in 1957, he suggested that in a post-conventional WW3 that resulted in the defeat and occupation of the USSR, most of the planet would be broke, and that the economic theories of the time, which tended to operate on the assumption that centralized economies worked better than market systems (another reason never to trust economists), would become dominant, keeping the world poorer for long after the war.

Protectionist economies aren't always bad I hear, after all 'free' trade ****ed up the third world so bad.

It can, providing the area effectively sealed off has a large enough population and mineral+resources, keep the local economy more reliable and independent and therefore theirfore overall, the world economy more stable.

However in the long run it makes technological advance slower and countries/people/soceity more isolated. And also the proles will have too stay near the rich and middle class which would be offensive too the pseudo liberal sensibilities of the western world. As (I'm assuming) travel restrictions means intensive curtailing of immigration, having the relativly large poor underclass both near the rich and of the same ethnic origin would effectivly make democracy unworkable so a system that makes sure the underclass continue to be poor and uneducated.

Less contact would undoubtably result in more racism and effect foreign relations.

BurningWickerman said:
Protectionist economies aren't always bad I hear...

BW,

You heard wrong.

... after all 'free' trade ****ed up the third world so bad.

That isn't free trade. What we have under the WTO is free trade for the First World and trade barriers for the Thrid World. The First can freely trade into the Third, but the Third is not given the same opportunity to trade into the First.

Bill

Bill Cameron said:
BW,

That isn't free trade. What we have under the WTO is free trade for the First World and trade barriers for the Thrid World. The First can freely trade into the Third, but the Third is not given the same opportunity to trade into the First.

Bill

I agree. Plus the First World's products are also heavily subsidized.

Dave Bender said:
As I recall, the last time this occurred it led to the great depression. You are asking for a permanent economic slump.

Yes, I was assuming that this would lead to less economic development. Perhaps a world of (very) low but relatively stable economic growth. There would still be trade but there would heavy import duties so perhaps it is only high value items that are traded, so the UK might import some Mercedes cars but not many VWs. Computer-wise, we would be at the level of the late eighties, with very few folk having them at home.

I recently read an anthology which has at least two stories which might have the effect of protectionism and isolationism.

ReVisions, an anthology by Julie E. Czerneda and Isaac Szpindel.
The Terminal Solution, by Robin Wayne Bailey, has AIDS spread from Africa in the mid-nineteenth century. According to the author's note after the story, nineteenth century medicine wouldn't have stood a chance against AIDS. Viruses weren't even suggested until 1898.

So you have a depopulation of England and Europe, many places in Asia, somewhat in N. and S. America as people flee the pandemic. So travel gets restricted, foreigners are suspect, local communities have to depend on their own resources, so more manufacturing is done locally.

The Royal Families of Europe don't give up their opium or mistresses, so
by 1914, the people who occupy the thrones are very far down the line of succession. The Queen of England in 1914 is Susannah, who was 21st in line for the throne, and who didn't even exist in OTL.

The others who might have taken the throne in that year were either dead, sick, crazy, too young, etc.

So no Archdukes visit Sarajevo or anyplace else in the Balkans, WW I and II are avoided. There are other, smaller wars, which are quickly ended due to death and desertions among the troops.

People of African descent are blamed for the pandemic, even if they never lived in Africa, and suffer more discrimination in this TL.

But AIDS in this TL isn't necessarily associated with homosexuality, so they aren't oppressed any more than in OTL.

Eventually, people notice that virgins and people who never used needles are free of AIDS. So people use pills and patches for getting their drugs, and virginity gets more respectable for both males and females.

By 2000, medical science has advanced more, there might be something like the UN, but other international bodies include things like the International Biochemical Society and the British Medical Union.

Most public restrooms have a restroom attendant who has the power to arrest and detain persons who don't observe proper hygiene. Which leads to interesting situations when the attendant is black and the arrestee is the governor of Texas, for example.

But it doesn't happen very often. Most people are careful. People are more prone to obsessive-compulsive disorder, a concern with germs, following rules.

The idea of the internet was conceived at about the same time as OTL; it was a way to transmit information without the risk of exposure to germs; this was a response to discussions of the risk of germ warfare.

But then somebody conceived of computer viruses (OTL, the first computer virus was introduced in 1983); and the concept of the internet was put on hold until computer scientists could develop systems to prevent the spread of malicious viruses, spam, spyware and other nasty stuff.

Getting back to the ReVisions anthology...

The other story where protectionism might be more common is "Out of China" by Julie Czerneda, in which a Chinese scholar figures out that the bubonic plague is spread by the fleas of rats; this has interesting repercussions in later centuries. I'd rather not describe it more; read the story. :)

Dave Bender said:
Then you have greatly misunderstood the Great Depression, it seems.

Bill Cameron said:
BW,
You say so, then why is industry after industry going broke in the name of free trade? Why are the workers of Europe losing their jobs so that China may become great? Why are our restricted labor markets being forced open so that our industries may stand some chance of survival?

Face it, free trade is only good for those that are on the rise. Europe is not. the faster the nations of Europe awake from the illusion of globalism, the more can be saved.