Clay Victorious

Glen

Just read it. Really like it,

Thank you.

although I thought that the cry for the annexations of Texan and Oregon would have been strong enough for Clay to do something about it had he been president at the time (like in my TL)

There's always that possibility, and I respect your exploration of it in your timeline. However, since he was noted as against annexation during his campaign, I figured he would stick by it if he won, since it cost him OTL.

Interesting solution to the Slavery issue.

Thank you.

Interesting how you turned Haiti into America's Ireland.

Worse, actually. Its every bit as bad as what they did to the Plains Indians at the same time OTL.

On the other hand, I think that the Mexican Government would have ended up losing California, just like they had with Texas.

It was a very unstable situation, to be sure. I thought long and hard about having California succeed or stay. I decided to have them stay. I freely admit it could have gone the other way very easily.

How does the Meiji restoration turn up if Japan is opened later?

Its only a decade. The reason it still occurs is that all the same players and social conditions are still in place, particularly the Meiji Emperor. Things just weren't different enough to change their course, IMO.

Who are the presidents after Lincoln? (they might have been mentioned, but I read the timeline a bit fast)

David Birney is one, and I didn't name the others between him and William McKinley yet.

Things in Europe going as they did IOTL or have something been Butterflied away?

Mostly OTL. I've been doing this so far as a butterfly minimal timeline. Details may not be precisely the same, especially as we get further and further out, but so far mostly the same unless the POD has led to differences in initial conditions enough to cause changes.

How does the Meiji restoration turn up if Japan is opened later?
Its only a decade. The reason it still occurs is that all the same players and social conditions are still in place, particularly the Meiji Emperor. Things just weren't different enough to change their course, IMO.

But that [10 years] will have major butterflies after 1895 [Sino war] in Korea, Manchuria, Formosa.

Glen

But that [10 years] will have major butterflies after 1895 [Sino war] in Korea, Manchuria, Formosa.

Not necessarily.

Here, Japan is being opened up by 1864 rather than 1854. The Meiji Emperor didn't even ascend to the throne until 1867. The Boshin War probably won't be delayed much more than a year or two, actually.

By 1895, there will be detail differences, but the substantive differences will have mostly been smoothed away by the course of history ITTL.

I hear what you are saying, and in fact gave thought to some differences in the states abandoning slavery, but in the end rejected them because of the forces at work behind this change peculiar to this timeline.

There would be a great deal of peer pressure on Democrats throughout the South to not abandon slavery individually by this point, as this threatened to undermine the Compromise. Yet once one state came up with a good reason and a palatable form of emancipation, it broke like a wave over the other Slave States. It was a national movement keeping slavery, and a national movement instituted conversion to emancipation.

Note, however, that the Texans held out longer....

Additionally, any state which did not adopt the solution and right quick would be hurting in a big way electorally.
I can imagine, though, a few of the states holding off until after the election, possibly throwing it to the Whigs but in a nail-biter. This would probably be the straw which broke the cammel's back for good and all.

Glen

Additionally, any state which did not adopt the solution and right quick would be hurting in a big way electorally.
I can imagine, though, a few of the states holding off until after the election, possibly throwing it to the Whigs but in a nail-biter. This would probably be the straw which broke the cammel's back for good and all.

That could have happened, but I felt States would bunch up, to hold off as long as they could but still take advantage of the Census of 1880 to get reapportioned.

Glen

1884: Grover Cleveland becomes first Democrat elected President since Stephen Douglass in the 1860s. Serves one term before being defeated by the Whig/Liberty fusion candidate in 1888.

Last edited:

Glen

1884: Grover Cleveland becomes first Democrat elected President since Stephen Douglass in the 1860s. Serves one term before being defeated by the Whig/Liberty fusion candidate in 1888.

I've done some expansion on the Chapter Twelve entry. President Birney is assassinated in 1881 by the OTL assassin of Garfield, Charles Julius Guiteau. Guiteau was a nutcase born before the POD, unaffected by most of the changes in the timeline, and pretty much a guided missile ready to kill a President by 1881. I've made Roscoe Conkling his VP and successor, who is then beaten in 1884 by Cleveland.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

Here, Japan is being opened up by 1864 rather than 1854. The Meiji Emperor didn't even ascend to the throne until 1867. The Boshin War probably won't be delayed much more than a year or two, actually.

By 1895, there will be detail differences, but the substantive differences will have mostly been smoothed away by the course of history

Matsumae established the town of Ootomari (Kushunkotan in Ainu, actual Korsakov), located on the southern shore of Sakhalin, in order to control the commerce with aborigines (Ainu and Nivkh). It became the biggest Japanese treading post in Sakhalin with more than one hundred houses. Each summer, aborigines living in north Sakhalin came there to do a business with Japanese.
Russian frigate Junona directed by Chvostoff attacked Ootomari, the largest Japanese trading post of Sakhalin and burned warehouses after looting them. They brought then Japanese merchants to Kamchatka as prisoners. Next year, they attacked Etorofu Island (Iturup in Russian) in the southern Kuril chain then Rutaka on the west of Ootomari.
The central government sent Mamiya Rinzo to Sakhalin in order to explore the northern part of Sakhalin, unknown for Japanese until then.
Russia put her flag at the northern limit of Sakhalin and declared it as her territory. Then, she established a military base at Ootomari near Japanese treading post, despite of the protestation of Japanese, to intimidate them.
First negotiation to settle a frontier between the two countries was held in 1855 at Shimoda, a tiny town located at 50km south-west of Tokyo. Japanese chief negotiator was Kawaji Toshiakira and Russian, Evfimii Vasilievich Putiatin. This is Treaty of Shimoda and stipulates the following: Russia takes North Kurils and Japan South Kurils but there was no settlement about Sakhalin i.e. two nationals can live in this island as before, Japanese in the south and Russians in the north, without fixing the frontier. Russia accepted to destroy the military base of Ootomari.
Admiral Muravieff, governor of East Siberia entered in the bay of Tokyo with 7 battle ships and threatened Japanese to accept the Russian belonging of Sakhalin, but it was refused.
By taking advantage of Taiping rebellion in China, Russia took the Maritime Territory, where actual Vladivostok is, by threatening Chinese to declare a war, if they didn't give it up. This is Treaty of Pekin (1860). From then the Russian pressure to Japan increased: they argued that because Nivkh, inhabitants of North Sakhalin, had obeyed the Chinese government, Sakhalin should be Russian too.
The central government sent Okamoto Kanpo to the northern limit of Sakhalin and put a stele declaring the whole island as Japanese possession.
Japan had to accept the convention of Saint Petersburg that stipulates that Sakhalin is a condominium between two countries. As soon as Sakhalin became a condominium, Russian threat increased in force. They sent Cossack's troops that set fire to Japanese settlements and tried to provoke diplomatic incidents.
Very ill equipped and unable to respond to the Russian military power, Japanese had to give up very rich Sakhalin Island in exchange of icy and uninhabitable North Kurils that had belonged to them before. This is Treaty of Saint Petersburg.
After the Russo-Japanese war, Japanese recovered partially the sovereignty of Sakhalin but should give up North Sakhalin that they occupied during the war. The island was divided into two sectors and the frontier between two countries was settled at 50th parallel. This is Treaty of Portsmouth.
Japan will be opened by Russia in 1859.
With out US and British ships setting in Tokyo Bay, Admiral Muravieff, governor of East Siberia will probably order his ships to open Fire,

A Japan opened to the World by a bombardment of Tokyo, and the forced concession of Sahalikin, Will be a very different Japan. There will not be a Boshin War.

I've done some expansion on the Chapter Twelve entry. President Birney is assassinated in 1881 by the OTL assassin of Garfield, Charles Julius Guiteau. Guiteau was a nutcase born before the POD, unaffected by most of the changes in the timeline, and pretty much a guided missile ready to kill a President by 1881. I've made Roscoe Conkling his VP and successor, who is then beaten in 1884 by Cleveland.
this assassination could be very interesting since it's the first murder of an American president not the second.

great read, I really like this ATL

Glen

Japan will be opened by Russia in 1859.
With out US and British ships setting in Tokyo Bay, Admiral Muravieff, governor of East Siberia will probably order his ships to open Fire,

A Japan opened to the World by a bombardment of Tokyo, and the forced concession of Sahalikin, Will be a very different Japan. There will not be a Boshin War.

I found the above information very interesting, and I think it could make for some devilish independent PODs. Its possible due to butterflies, but for this timeline I'm going to say no. My reasoning is that the 'Opening of Japan' was to trade, not diplomatic manuevering as even demonstrated by the examples you give above. Muravieff came to try and bully land concessions on the borders, not open up interior Japan to trade and thus Europeans, and I doubt the lack of American and British warships will give him the idea to do that instead of trying to extort Sakhalin. I'd say at most, the Japanese give over Sakhalin under duress, which I might very well comment on in future installments.

The Boshin War will still happen, and Muravieff's actions would probably be one of the ones to set the stage for it.

without California and its ports, i could see Portland and to a lesser extent Seattle becoming the center of trade for the US pacific coast

Glen

William McKinley will become President in 1896, and serves out two full terms. By 1904 the party has completely reunited under the name Liberty Party.

Glen

The beginning of the 20th century will see the ascendency of the generation born after the POD....

I agree, they were not. And for the next few decades relations are 'proper' between the two nations. However, Canada never loses Pacfic access, and when the Gold Rush starts in a few decades, they are going to actually come to feel they came off the better from the deal.

British interests in the region are firmly established since the turn of the century...particularly in the Northern New Caledonia district ( basically 50 degrees and points north...Columbia District less so but not much.

Both parties went out of their way to avoid an open conflict OTL because of their mutual understanding that they had more in common and that a war over Oregon was not in either parties mutual interest...therefore I simply cannot see your administrations moving so decisivly behind the Americans in Oregon, and lets face it these are all generally south of the Columbia even at your point. there is just too much that could go wrong politically...and damage the relationship with Britain.

Britain may be involved in the Crimean War but they will not be strong armed by the upstart republic from across the sea....and to say that relations after the fact would be proper..forget it the US will find itself marginalized politically in its own hemispere. What need do the Brits have of supporting the Monroe Doctrine even if behind the scenes when they are backstabbed at the first opportunity...
Relations will be a down right frosty if not discordant for at least a generation.

The Royal Navy can still strangle the US overseas commerce if it puts its mind to it...and just try invading and see how far you get in the wilderness of Oregon...Where British forts and Trading posts dot the land more readily than Us outposts....because lets face it nobody is going to invade Eastern Canada over Oregon... the Northern states will never stand for it.

The only result I see is the same as ours...the extension west to the Pacific of the 49th...its just too logical.

The British will do as they did before. Just substituting Alaska for British Columbia.

and why suddenly the Canadian filibuster....Britain and Russia had their agreement not to extend the conflict to their N. American holdings....

Glen

British interests in the region are firmly established since the turn of the century...particularly in the Northern New Caledonia district ( basically 50 degrees and points north...Columbia District less so but not much.

I'm no expert, I'll grant you that. However, from what little I can glean, neither side had their interests that firmly established at first. Here there's 12 years more under codominion, and that leads to a lot more Americans throughout the territory.

BTW, was there a named overland route to Oregon from Canada?

Both parties went out of their way to avoid an open conflict OTL because of their mutual understanding that they had more in common and that a war over Oregon was not in either parties mutual interest...therefore I simply cannot see your administrations moving so decisivly behind the Americans in Oregon,

I'd say that the British were more interested in not going to war over it than most Americans, at least if you listen to the rhetoric of the time. And the Pierce administration is more ambitious than some of the time.

and lets face it these are all generally south of the Columbia even at your point.

My timeline stipulates greater American settlement, including north of the Columbia.

there is just too much that could go wrong politically...and damage the relationship with Britain.

Operative word 'could'. Here it works out. However if you wish to write a divergent timeline where the Pierce Administration's negotiations go south, feel free to do so, it would be interesting to see.

Britain may be involved in the Crimean War but they will not be strong armed by the upstart republic from across the sea....and to say that relations after the fact would be proper..forget it the US will find itself marginalized politically in its own hemispere. What need do the Brits have of supporting the Monroe Doctrine even if behind the scenes when they are backstabbed at the first opportunity...
Relations will be a down right frosty if not discordant for at least a generation.

The Royal Navy can still strangle the US overseas commerce if it puts its mind to it...

I'm certain all you say is possible, but I don't see it necessarily being probable. Look at the on the Red River Settlement in 1818, only a few years after the US and Britain had just fought a war. In fact, look at trade after the War of 1812. I don't see Britain getting over an actual fighting war so quickly, but not a negotiation on the Oregon Country.

and just try invading and see how far you get in the wilderness of Oregon...Where British forts and Trading posts dot the land more readily than Us outposts....

This changed over the past 12 years of the divergence. Americans are more numerous now.

because lets face it nobody is going to invade Eastern Canada over Oregon... the Northern states will never stand for it.

Right, those "54'40" or Fight" people in 1844 were just joking....The Northern states were the ones pushing hardest for Annexation of the Oregon.

I think you should ask yourself if the Canadians would stand for going to war over the Oregon? I'd say that would be less likely than the Americans.

The only result I see is the same as ours...the extension west to the Pacific of the 49th...its just too logical.

Well, the logical thing isn't always what happens.

and why suddenly the Canadian filibuster....Britain and Russia had their agreement not to extend the conflict to their N. American holdings....

Did they? That's interesting. Do you have a reference on it? I would have thought that if the British were willing to land forces in Kamchatka, North American would hardly be off limits.

In any event, the Canadian filibuster was just that, a filibuster. Which means it was executed by Canadians without the consent or approval of the British government (initially). The why is that there are a few Canadians who still want to see the Canadian Confederation reach the Pacific.

Glen

Chapter Fourteen: The MACC

In the latter quarter of the 19th century, inspired by the Suez and concerned about the French efforts to build a canal in the Panama isthmus of Columbia, a consortium of American and Mexican business tycoons formed to start their own canal project, the Mexican-American Canal Company, or as it was popularly known, the MACC.

The Mexican backers were all from the upper California region, whose business interests would benefit from direct shipment from the Caribbean to the Pacific, bypassing the overland portage routes. They lobbied the Mexican government to advance the project in Nicaragua.

Support in the United States was much more widespread, and the United States provided most of the financial backing for the project, as a shorter route from US states in the Caribbean to the American Pacific Northwest was of obvious economic value to the nation.

The project itself was fraught with hardships. The MACC was both delighted and daunted by the French failure in Columbia. However, the project did persevere, with the Nicaraguan Canal opening in 1910.

Glen

Geopolitics by 1900:

Canada doesn't have the Oregon Country, but has gained Alaska.

The US has all of the Oregon Country, Cuba, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico. Doesn't have the Republic of Texas and Mexican Cession.

Republic of Texas, pretty much as it was.

Mexico still has the Mexican Cession, with by this point the Pacific Coast fairly Mexicanized and Catholicized, though with a heavy infusion of American attitude. Mormonism dominates in the North, and is a bit of an odd man out in Mexico. The New Mexico area has a significant minority of Catholic Blacks.

The Spanish still hold their pre-SAM Pacific possessions. Lost their Caribbean possessions much earlier.

Egypt is still in hock to the Europeans, but is slightly more independent of Britain than it was by this time OTL.