Cronus Invictus: An Alternate Console Wars (Something a bit different)

Thande

Donor
Whatever floats your boat then. But if do end doing a 2.0 version of this TL, a fun fact to know would be that Pokemon IOTL started development around 1990. The game didn't come out until it did OTL because game freak was working on another nintendo game during the early 90's, I think it was called "Yoshi" staring, well it's obvious who the star of the game is…

That often happens. Banjo-Kazooie started out as an almost totally unrelated SNES adventure game and got retooled so many times it came out on the N64, and so forth.

I must get back to this. I was just reminded of it the other day when I was watching a Youtube video where some bloke was showing there was a secret unlockable mode in one version of NiGHTS into Dreams where you can play as Sonic.

What I believe you watched, Thande, was a pseudo-sequel to NiGHTS Into Dreams... called Christmas NIGHTS. If I'm not mistaken it's pretty short, only two levels and was originally bundled in with Japan's Christmas '96 Saturn deal; everywhere else, I think, you could get it if you purchased select games like Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition or buying select magazines (I think, but am unsure, if the U.K. ever received this).

Sonic was an unlockable in it. ;)

Whatever floats your boat then. But if do end doing a 2.0 version of this TL, a fun fact to know would be that Pokemon IOTL started development around 1990. The game didn't come out until it did OTL because game freak was working on another nintendo game during the early 90's, I think it was called "Yoshi" staring, well it's obvious who the star of the game is…

According to the "Iwata Asks" for Heart Gold and Soul Silver, planning for Pokemon Red and Blue began in 1990 and the games were completed in Feb. of 96.

All of the "Iwata Asks" have some really interesting information on various Nintendo games and consoles (like the recent early one for the 3DS revealing that the all of the Gamecubes were capable of producing 3D images like the 3DS and just needed a special LCD screen attached to the Cube; Nintendo didn't go through with it because the screen was too expensive), so Thande, I'd recommend looking them up if you do continue this.

What I believe you watched, Thande, was a pseudo-sequel to NiGHTS Into Dreams... called Christmas NIGHTS. If I'm not mistaken it's pretty short, only two levels and was originally bundled in with Japan's Christmas '96 Saturn deal; everywhere else, I think, you could get it if you purchased select games like Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition or buying select magazines (I think, but am unsure, if the U.K. ever received this).

Sonic was an unlockable in it. ;)

The Christmas Nights disc was given away in the U.K, as a front cover mounted "freebee", by Sega Saturn magazine in their December 1996 issue...

Some Chance to revive this, since the release of Sonic Generations, I start to fell a sega nostalgia once again(this come from a nintendo boy with brand loyality, even if pay for play with a genesis when I had a Super nintendo at home...XD)

In general was good managable and when we entern in alternate fifth generations with some interesting players in his side of pacific suddenly die....

In general even if an Alliance at long term between Sony and Nintendo is hard but possible(how a lot of emblematic companies joined.. like Namco-Bandai and Takara-TOMMY), will be interesting if yo do it and make the war at dead in Japan....

And in this world some kind of Sonic Adventures will exist? that game is a legend, what who make me love the Dreamcast(with PSO)

I must get back to this. I was just reminded of it the other day when I was watching a Youtube video where some bloke was showing there was a secret unlockable mode in one version of NiGHTS into Dreams where you can play as Sonic. Which meant Sega basically made a 3D Sonic game for the Saturn similar in capabilities to Mario 64, and despite having been programmed in five minutes on the back of a fag packet, the controls were actually less glitchy than most of the 'proper' 3D Sonic games they've released over the years. Seriously, Sega, WTF?!

Using that for Bump it

Yes i saw that video too... poor SEGA, good ideas, horrible timing...so what will happen, the Sony will bought the SNK(who go bankrupt at the end of millenium) or what?

Damn, I saw this thread in my subscribed threads and thought it had finally been updated... but no, it was just bumped. :(

I wanna another part...

Thande, when is the next part? This is the best alternate history I've ever read! When is the next part? Also, can you explain Microbeasts: Earth?

Hey Thande now that we have a pop culture resurgence and several timelines that are incorporating video games either as the focus (Bughuntertf) or at least partially (me! :) how about the 2.0 version of this?

Although I have quibbles with how the American public (in particular) and global developers would feel about this flood of hardware it is a consistently interesting and fun timeline.

Thande, when is the next part? This is the best alternate history I've ever read! When is the next part? Also, can you explain Microbeasts: Earth?

Microbeasts = Pokemon.

Thande

Donor
I'm thinking about redoing this one from the start as I now have a broader knowledge of videogames than when I started. And can you explain what you mean about the American public and developers?

I'm thinking about redoing this one from the start as I now have a broader knowledge of videogames than when I started. And can you explain what you mean about the American public and developers?

Developers like consoles because the specs stay the specs stay the same for four years or more thus keeping their budgets down (this starts in the early '90s and doesn't really change until at least the 2000s in terms of what a AAA console game vs AAA PC game costs) but of course in you TL there are lots of upgraded consoles in a fairly short period of time. First parties don't care, third parties would be grumbling. Remember that major computers of the time didn't see constant spec bumps either and when that changed in the early '90s development costs skyrocketed.

As for the American public, at least looking at OTL, they hated upgrades. Obviously you've worked hard to change that but if the parents can get an Amiga 500 vs. a console plus an upgrade the price swings to the Amiga (plus it'd have better graphics and do computer things). Although the dizzying pace of hardware is fun, it could turn people off to consoles.

Reply to Monkey

I know that Microbeasts is Pokemon, I meant like number of Microbeasts/Pokemon. I own Pokemon Gold, Emerald, and Black. Three generations of Pokemon.

You're Redoing it... Thande you're my hero,XD.

And in general about America Developers... Plus what Electric Monk Say, I'll add than they mostly want obviously title to the americans and sometime 'western' tastes, like Sports and some shoteers(either person) plus game who can allow to sell in big quantities, the Third Party Legacy of American videogames is mostly Atari legacy(how they treat their own programers as shit) and with more 'creative freedom' with...Mixed Result.

In general how will evolve the Timeline, with Nintendo-Sony Playstation, the Virtua Boy will never have Raison D'etre and that will changes the fortunes of Gumpei Yokoi(who mostly of Nintendo Decision still have his Influence) and maybe some Developmer(Shozou Kaga of Fire Emblem Saga want to work with Cd, here with their dream fullfy.. I want to see how will keep the franchise..maybe even reaching western shores early?)

And with that? How Long will Endure Sony-Nintendo? Until DVD at least i think, Atari will look for a Proxy in Japan?(NEC-Hudson/Atari can become a big boy wordly).

Those are some question for the future.

And a notice... Even with CD, Nintendo will not drop Cartidge so quicky, Nintendo have in Japan a lot of Fixed Capital in that departament, and with the Home Console with CD... they can do wonder in Miniaturisation to keep that working.

Some thoughts, I was educated by 'Japanese Propaganda'(Read Nintendo Publishes and forum in LatAm) thus different of a lot of people

Thande

Donor
Actually I've just had an idea for a Sega counterpart to the Pokemon franchise (also stealing, er I mean taking inspiration) from OTL's Mario RPGs...

My main issue with this TL is that, while I know a lot about videogames, I don't know as much about the personalities behind the scenes that other people talk about in these cultural TLs.

Thande

Donor
Developers like consoles because the specs stay the specs stay the same for four years or more thus keeping their budgets down (this starts in the early '90s and doesn't really change until at least the 2000s in terms of what a AAA console game vs AAA PC game costs) but of course in you TL there are lots of upgraded consoles in a fairly short period of time. First parties don't care, third parties would be grumbling. Remember that major computers of the time didn't see constant spec bumps either and when that changed in the early '90s development costs skyrocketed.

As for the American public, at least looking at OTL, they hated upgrades. Obviously you've worked hard to change that but if the parents can get an Amiga 500 vs. a console plus an upgrade the price swings to the Amiga (plus it'd have better graphics and do computer things). Although the dizzying pace of hardware is fun, it could turn people off to consoles.

The thought had occurred to me as well, but it's hard to see how else you can do it. One thing I did introduce was the idea of Sega of America doing a trade in discount for generation 1 Mega Drives/Geneses and Mega CDs for the 32-bit "Radical" Neptune-Multi-Mega thing. Not perfect by any means but a bit better than asking people to part with a ridiculous amount of dollars for a 32X.

I'm thinking about redoing this one from the start as I now have a broader knowledge of videogames than when I started.
Count me in as someone who would love to see a Mark II of this timeline. Your increased knowledge of the topic at hand would be beneficial, and you certainly have no shortage of games to discuss, given that you can mine this thread for suggestions!

My main issue with this TL is that, while I know a lot about videogames, I don't know as much about the personalities behind the scenes that other people talk about in these cultural TLs.
Frankly, I never saw that as a problem. I was always so engrossed in the descriptions of the games, the consoles, how they were developed, how they were marketed, where they sold, how well they sold... I certainly never missed not hearing about the people.