Did the First World War really alter the trajectory of German immigrant assimilation?

Late last month, after getting to the southwest Ontario conurbation of Kitchener-Waterloo to ride the new LRT like on its first day of operation, I saw other things there. In Kitchener's Victoria Park, for instance, I saw this empty plinth overlooking a pond. In 1896, that location had been the site of a bust of Kaiser Wilhelm I, a statue celebrating the 25th anniversary of an 1871 celebration of the victory of the German states over France in the Franco-Prussian War. Come the First World War, this statue was soon toppled into Victoria Lake and eventually disappeared, part of a great outburst of Anglicization directed against a Waterloo County that was the heartland of a thriving German-Canadian community. Kitchener itself was once known as Berlin, but saw its name abandoned in 1916.

66297019_10161894866090175_6271598119922696192_n.jpg

66210543_10161894866355175_6494489059816112128_n.jpg

It is taken for granted that German-speakers in the great immigrant diaspora expanded in the generations before the First World War, in Canada and in the United States and elsewhere, ended up facing huge new pressures to assimilate after 1914. The thriving, even self-sustaining, communities of German-speakers were simply no longer trusted in their countries now that they were warring against Germany (and Austria-Hungary). A wholesale abandonment of German language and culture for English became politically necessary. The Second World War certainly did not help, but it was the reaction against German in the First World War that seems to have been the topping point.

Or was it? I am reminded of the long downwards trajectory of Scots Gaelic in Atlantic Canada over the 19th and 20th centuries. Even though it was a thriving language with relatively little stigma (Scots Gaelic was not a prestigious language, but it was certainly not seen as a language of enemies), the numbers drifted downwards simply because language was not seen as that important. Sectarian bigotries were more important: A Gaelophone Protestant was more likely to treat an Anglophone Protestant as culturally kin, at least by some metrics, than they would a Gaelophone Catholic. Thus, their language went.

Would German-Canadians and German-Americans, etc, have followed a similar trajectory? Both populations were religiously quite diverse, Waterloo County for instance including Lutherans and Mennonites. Would, absent the first World War, sectarian rivalries proven more important elements of identity than shared language? Did the First World War only advance the schedule of assimilation into surrounding Anglophone communities somewhat?

What say you all?

To quote an old post of mine:

In 1893-4 there were almost 800 German-language publications in the US. "With the decline of immigration and the consolidation trends after 1890, German-language publications declined to 613 in 1900 and 554 in 1910...*World War I accelerated an ongoing decline.* [my emphasis--DT] *Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups,* p. 420 (article "Germans")

The main reason German was a flourishing language in the US in the early twentieth century was simply that there were so many fairly recent German immigrants. As late as 1890 Germans represented 30.1 percent of the foreign-born in the US--that went down to 25.8 percent in 1900 and 17.1 percent in 1910 and then to 12.1 percent in 1920--that last figure being only in part a result of the War. With the decline of German immigration, the German language was likely to decline. This happened with other languages, too. "In 1923, when the Polish-American journals were at their height, at least 19 dailies, 67 weeklies and 18 monthlies were in circulation." *Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups,* p. 800 (article "Poles") After 1930, "the number of the Polish press titles...began to decline steadily." https://books.google.com/books?id=Jyd_DAAAQBAJ&pg=PA202 Yet the US had never gone to war with Poland...

Again, I am not denying that the world wars encouraged German-American assimilation--but they only accelerated a trend that would have taken place anyway.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...cuisine-in-the-us.415902/page-2#post-14738637

Probably reduced the number of German loan words & idiom in American English.

Circa 1972 German was still offered in my Indiana high school. Not very large classes.

I guess there'd probably be less anglicized German names, whether they be first names or surnames. And there'd probably be more general pride in people being of German descent.