Side A: The Two Lions - Track A1, Encountering the Backlots
1698601124834.png
1698601141590.png

Berry Gordy Jr. and Suzanne de Passe. ("classic.motown.com" and "facebook.com")

How the start of Motown’s next, bold era is often simplified. Often, it’s simply put as [Berry] Gordy having always had his idea and simply done it.

As it usually is, however, the truth is far more complicated.

In early 1968, [Suzanne] de Passe, recently hired on as a creative advisor for Gordy, apparently encouraged him to try a backlot tour of one of the studios, being a TV and film fan herself[1]. While not too much of a film person, Gordy nonetheless took up her offer. In several versions of the story, Gordy apparently chose MGM itself, wanting to see the studio that brought the world Debbie Reynolds, for whom the song "Tammy" would come to be, and later "Tamla" records. Other sources point to Warner Bros. or Universal as being the place he chose. Regardless, he took a backlot tour of one of these studios.[2]

What matters is that what he found inspired him.

1698601272024.png
1698601280261.png

Images of the MGM backlot, presumably as would be found around the 1960s. ("sleuthslayers.org" and "00individual.wordpress.com")

Enormous reconstructions of foreign locations and familiar sights, all in one place. If this was MGM as said, one can imagine Gordy strolling down a recreation of 5th Avenue, in awe of the detail made just for a few pictures. He had encountered the wealth and glamor of old Hollywood.

Gordy at this time was already taking steps into the screen, whether the big or small one. A year earlier, he had established Motown Productions, created largely for the purpose of making specials for Motown talent. It was a rather minor operation, as Gordy still had his eyes set on the record business. He would claim later that he always had an interest in creating a major Hollywood studio, even as other evidence at the time indicates this was not his intention, or merely a distant dream[3]. Yet that tour seemed to change his views of the entire operation.

Perhaps he was inspired to make something grander out of Motown Productions, doing for it what he did with the label proper. Or perhaps, if his desire to create a Hollywood major was correct, he was instead humbled by how many years it would take to achieve it. Or perhaps there was another feeling entirely.

Despite this, once the tour ended, he made no immediate change to his operations. Yet the experience of that visit wouldn’t leave his mind. A few months later, while visiting George Schlatter to discuss the upcoming Motown special, TCB, Gordy brought up the backlot visit to Schlatter and how impressed he was by just how much time, effort, and money they’d put into something like a set.

“I guess the ticket sales must make up for all that, huh? Gordy said.

Schlatter laughed. “At least at one point, they did.”

When Gordy asked to what he meant by that, Schlatter explained the fall of these studios: How TV had cut into their audiences and how their past epics and tentpole features had only floundered at the box office.

“If you read the headlines, a lot of companies have been swooping in to take up Hollywood while it’s down,” he said. “Gulf and Western bought Paramount a few years ago, and before that MCA took over Universal.”

“I see,” Gordy said.

They returned to discussing the special before departing. Yet as Schlatter would later realize, he had unknowingly presented Gordy with an opportunity he never would have considered. A seed planted into his new ambition that would soon take root.

All of this would thus begin in August of 1968, when Gordy, while chatting with de Passe, asked her nonchalantly: “How much would a movie studio cost?”

- Excerpt from “Chapter 6: Breaking into the Limelight” of Hitsville, USA: A History of the Motown Media Empire, by Jerome Parker

Eo-Dt-RPoster.png

SIDE A: The Two Lions

Welcome to the start of yet another timeline, all about the strange, possibly impossible yet still (hopefully) marvelous idea of Motown and MGM getting together to make an alternate ‘70s and beyond! Here, I’m hoping to explore what would happen if the two past-beloved media empires joined together at a strange time in American culture, as well as whatever else may result from such a mix! Part of this coming out of my own interest for a ‘70s pop culture timeline with one centered on Motown, and part of it just out of a great love for these! It’s taking a bit of research, and I’ll probably put this out somewhat slowly between whatever else I have going on, and I’m sure I’ll slip up in a few places( Especially with the financial aspect, but more on that later). But, in the end, I hope I can make something fun!

For some prerequisite disclaimers: Firstly, this is all a work of fiction, and none of what I say should be construed or taken as an actual statement about the person. While I do my best to research and stay true to the character's actions, I'm almost inevitably gonna miss something or take a step too far or whatever else. And more importantly, this is all just meant for fun than as a realistic "history" of any one person. So forgive me if I accidentally make a huge leap with one person. Going along with that, as this is my first timeline, I'm plenty willing and even encourage others to add their own critiques and pointers, here or in PMs,, though please be respectful about it. I'll even try retcons when I can! And just as well, please forgive me if this inevitably ends up running slow or even entering a hiatus. Between school, work, life, and other personal endeavors, I don't know how quickly I can get this out.

Anyways, I’ll make a follow-up introductory post about the reasoning and context behind all of this in due time! But as one last thing, I wanna give special thanks to @Geekhis Khan, whose own wonderful Hensonverse brought me into the mad world of alternate history-making, and whose own formatting is a pretty big influence on this! Though I swear the "small company buys larger, hallowed yet stagnating company" idea here just came through brainstorming @_@ And additional thanks to @Otakuninja2006 for giving me the push into pursuing this idea!

[1] As she has stated elsewhere, and in what would eventually lead her to controlling Motown Productions and buying what remained of it to become de Passe Entertainment (Merged into de Passe Jones Entertainment).

[2] Consider this the PoD here, or at least the conglomeration of smaller PoDs that bring Gordy onto the tram tour or even make him consider this idea. Really, I can't find any exact PoD that would lead into this kind of timeline (No "Shooter buying Marvel" or "Henson buying Disney" moment as far as I've seen from my research), but I'll explore the "realism" of all this and explain myself in the follow-up introduction.

[3] A bit of a reversal of what Gordy has claimed in our own timeline, who has said he wasn't interested in going to Hollywood at this period, even as at this time, there were some indications he was already beginning to shift operations over to L.A. So far at least, I haven't found anything definitive either way about what his plans were or when they changed. For my view, though, I get the feeling he did have some desire to enter other spheres of entertainment, but wanted to ease in before he delved into the arena, especially just by himself. Here, the backlot encounter makes him more eager to enter into the realm earlier than he did, and perhaps through other means.

Last edited:
Introduction, Part 1: Would, Could, and Should?

Introduction, Part 1: Would, Could, and Should This Be a Thing?​

Before really delving into the timeline, I'd like to explore my reasoning and the context behind all this. For this part, we'll be looking at the former, and effectively the question of would, could, and should this timeline even happen to begin with. If you don't want to read this self-conscious ramble or are just fine with me delving in, then just wait until we get into the context with part 2. For now though:

Is this timeline even realistic to begin with?

As mentioned in the footnotes of the first chapter, this timeline doesn't really originate from any specific "What if?" moment or crux decision that happened in real life. I don't know if Berry Gordy Jr. ever went on or planned a tram trip in 1968, and I don't know if that would have inspired him to get into moviemaking to begin with. Really, the broader and more important question is if Gordy would be inspired to purchase a movie studio to begin with, and so early in time.

I've already brought up in the previous chapter as well that it's hard to gauge Gordy's actual interest in getting into filmmaking at the time. He had created Motown Productions the year before to create TV specials for his acts, and he would eventually get into moviemaking by the time he fully moved Motown to L.A. with the release of Lady Sings the Blues. However, the fact that he moved so slowly to do so indicates that, at the very least, it wasn't a major priority for him. As I've personally concluded, he likely had some interest in entering moviemaking, but likely only accrued a full fascination as he began to move to L.A.[1] While the idea that a single moment could spur him to suddenly take an interest so immediately, I could see Gordy, who had a lot of interest in the wealth and glamor of other studios, taking a keen interest in this.

However, on the flipside of this is the question of if he'd even want to purchase a studio at all, rather than make one. Throughout Motown's history under Gordy, I've not found any particular instance where Gordy sought to purchase another business, or at least any notable instance in which he did so. Instead, he usually built things up from scratch or made deals through other businesses.

Part of this is likely from costs, at least initially, given that he impressively built up the Motown operation from very little. It wouldn't make as much sense during this era, however, given that Motown was at the peak of their success. The factor of race may have also played a part, whether in white businesses refusing to be bought by black ones or those black businesses not wanting to deal with the trouble and controversy that could come with it. I could also imagine a level of pride and a desire for control in this too, however; Gordy famously and infamously had a high level of creative control in the music put out by Motown, and he could be very proud about the fact that he had helped create all of this from very little. Purchasing another business could have interfered with that level of control.

I'm of two minds about this, but as I see it: Gordy, for as much as he did have that pride, could also be pragmatic. For a time, he hired white executives into the business or to manage productions. And even with certain moments and rules like "No politics in music", he could later change his mind in places, as happened with Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On". Even if it may be a bit of a stretch to imagine, I could see that a moment like the Schlatter mention or something else could likewise encourage him to try and take an alternate route to moviemaking, even if it may possibly mean a bit of sacrificing in places like control.

The aformentioned aspect of cost, however, is probably he biggest question of all this. Even as Motown was arguably entering its most successful era at this time, while MGM was hitting its low point, that doesn't exactly mean that Gordy may be so easily able to completely purchase the studio. This was still a studio that was once one of the largest in Hollywood, and even as it will soon find itself with a few flops as Gordy moves to purchase it, it will still be a large undertaking to take the whole studio. Even for the similarly wealthy Kirk Kerkorian, who in our timeline would purchase MGM in 1969, trying to take a controlling stake in MGM was a costly endeavor.

This is probably the toughest for me, since I'm no financial person, and I can't find too many exact numbers for Gordy's wealth or the stock price of MGM. However, I do think there are a few factors that could work in Gordy's favor. One is simply being considered a "better candidate" than Kerkorian: Part of the issue with the high stock price was a battle between Kerkorian and stakeholders like Edgar Bronfman of Seagram and Time, among others, who saw him as nothing more than a raider and someone with no experience in entertainment (Which would turn out to be correct in many ways, although more on that in the next part). Gordy by comparison could be viewed as a better candidate to take hold of the studio. I also have a few other ideas involving Kerkorian, although I'll probably save that when I move further into the timeline.

Still, as of planning this, I'm still uncertain what may be a more "realistic" option as I'm researching, between acquiring a major stake, a full-on majority stake, or somehow even merging with them. In such an instance, though, I may simply shrug and take it as at least one moment of "Well, hopefully I could look past this." Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge could help me, but in such a case, I could also imagine that through loans and other works, Gordy could simply eke out a win.

With all of this uncertainty, however, this leads to one larger question about why I might even want to try a timeline filled with vaguery. So:

Why this timeline?​

The two goals of this timeline, besides examining the question "What would happen if Motown teamed with MGM?", are basically "What if Motown continued on as an independent business with a large media empire?" and "What if MGM, in one form or another, was still a major studio?"

Part of why I chose to have this weird combine idea was that, in acheiving the two, and as I've found through research, this was likely the best way to kill two birds with one stone. It's difficult to find any other point in either of their histories, at least as I've found so far, where I could really acheive these goals without a major external factor for the timeline. For Motown, MGM, and the possible history they could have, could help them achieve a larger role in the entertainment world while perhaps avoiding their decline; And for MGM, Motown simply would serve as a comparbly much better owner than Kerkorian and could allow them to continue as a major studio. I won't confirm if this means they'll stay this way to this day with what I come to write, but I do see this being their best chance here, and within this moment in time. And as another addition, it would basically allow me to do 2 different timeline ideas without basically having to retread ground or weirdly covering the two equally in one timeline with essentially different PoDs.

But beyond this aspect, I just find the idea pretty captivating. What if The Wiz people bought The Wizard of Oz people? And what would it mean for a black-owned company to buy a historic studio? What sort of productions would come from this, and what would that mean for the rest of entertainment or the nation as a whole? Especially in an era as volatile as this was? I can't guarantee that this may go successfully, especially as this is my first timeline and I'll almost certainly be delving into topics I'm possibly not as equipped to deal with, but in the end, all of alternate history-making is for fun, and this just seems plenty of fun for me.

So tl;dr: There are a lot of uncertainties with this timeline, but I don't think they're completely impossible to overcome, and even with all of that, this is likely the best way to accomplish two timeline ideas at once, and it's simply an idea I really find interesting.

Anything else you want to mention?​

If there's any other reservations I may have going into this timeline, it's likely just as a white person trying to create alternate history that will inevitably delve into black topics. Bothering to even bring that up is probably rather stupid in itself as some may argue, but it is something that, as someone who way overthinks on everything, I do have at least some worry stepping into in either making a big leap or just portraying something inauthentically or rudely. But if a lot of what I've seen discussed elsewhere has taught me anything, it's that so long as you do your research and hear others out, then you shouldn't worry too much about this. And genrally, this is all made in appreciation for Motown, its history, and other genres from the time. If this all blows up in my face still... Well, I apologize beforehand and hopefully look at something I'm less likely to screw up next time :p

Besides that, as I've said, I may end up slowing down at points as I tackle school and work, among other things my brain will inevitably divert to (Truly the blessing and curse of being Aspie). And especially as the term is coming down and schools shift, this timeline will likely take a hiatus in one form or another. But I'll still try to update when I can and hopefully keep something interesting going on!

With all that said, stay tuned for part 2 of this introduction, where I'll look into what Motown and MGM were like at the time and their fates OTL, as well as a bit of other context!

[1] The move to L.A. seems largely inevitable, even as many claim that it was part of the decline. L.A. was the hub of entertainment at the time, and generally easier to make productions with movies and TVs and so on. Gordy was also looking to move away from Detroit, both to escape the increasing crime in the area and also just wanting to move to a warmer climate, which the Mediterranean-like California largely appealed to him.

Nice start buddy,a Motown MGM that might avoid the latter mistakes and disaster and with the former could push black talent earlier would be very interesting

Nice start buddy,a Motown MGM that might avoid the latter mistakes and disaster and with the former could push black talent earlier would be very interesting
Thank you! Certainly avoiding ownership under Kerkorian would be a good start to things.

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
View attachment 865840View attachment 865841

How the start of Motown’s next, bold era is often simplified. Often, it’s simply put as [Berry] Gordy having always had his idea and simply done it.

In early 1968, [Suzanne] de Passe, recently hired on as a creative advisor for Gordy, apparently encouraged him to try a backlot tour of one of the studios, being a TV and film fan herself[1]. While not too much of a film person, Gordy nonetheless took up her offer. In several versions of the story, Gordy apparently chose MGM itself, wanting to see the studio that brought the world Debbie Reynolds, for whom the song "Tammy" would come to be, and later "Tamla" records. Other sources point to Warner Bros. or Universal as being the place he chose. Regardless, he took a backlot tour of one of these studios.[2]

View attachment 865842View attachment 865843
Images of the MGM backlot, presumably as would be found around the 1960s. ("sleuthslayers.org" and "00individual.wordpress.com")

Enormous reconstructions of foreign locations and familiar sights, all in one place. If this was MGM as said, one can imagine Gordy strolling down a recreation of 5th Avenue, in awe of the detail made just for a few pictures. He had encountered the wealth and glamor of old Hollywood.

Gordy at this time was already taking steps into the screen, whether the big or small one. A year earlier, he had established Motown Productions, created largely for the purpose of making specials for Motown talent. It was a rather minor operation, as Gordy still had his eyes set on the record business. He would claim later that he always had an interest in creating a major Hollywood studio, even as other evidence at the time indicates this was not his intention, or merely a distant dream[3]. Yet that tour seemed to change his views of the entire operation.

Perhaps he was inspired to make something grander out of Motown Productions, doing for it what he did with the label proper. Or perhaps, if his desire to create a Hollywood major was correct, he was instead humbled by how many years it would take to achieve it. Or perhaps there was another feeling entirely.

Despite this, once the tour ended, he made no immediate change to his operations. Yet the experience of that visit wouldn’t leave his mind. A few months later, while visiting George Schlatter to discuss the upcoming Motown special, TCB, Gordy brought up the backlot visit to Schlatter and how impressed he was by just how much time, effort, and money they’d put into something like a set.

When Gordy asked to what he meant by that, Schlatter explained the fall of these studios: How TV had cut into their audiences and how their past epics and tentpole features had only floundered at the box office.

“If you read the headlines, a lot of companies have been swooping in to take up Hollywood while it’s down,” he said. “Gulf and Western bought Paramount a few years ago, and before that MCA took over Universal.”

“I see,” Gordy said.

They returned to discussing the special before departing. Yet as Schlatter would later realize, he had unknowingly presented Gordy with an opportunity he never would have considered. A seed planted into his new ambition that would soon take root.

All of this would thus begin in August of 1968, when Gordy, while chatting with de Passe, asked her nonchalantly: “How much would a movie studio cost?”

- Excerpt from “Chapter 6: Breaking into the Limelight” of Hitsville, USA: A History of the Motown Media Empire, by Jerome Parker

Welcome to the start of yet another timeline, all about the strange, possibly impossible yet still (hopefully) marvelous idea of Motown and MGM getting together to make an alternate ‘70s and beyond! Here, I’m hoping to explore what would happen if the two past-beloved media empires joined together at a strange time in American culture, as well as whatever else may result from such a mix! Part of this coming out of my own interest for a ‘70s pop culture timeline with one centered on Motown, and part of it just out of a great love for these! It’s taking a bit of research, and I’ll probably put this out somewhat slowly between whatever else I have going on, and I’m sure I’ll slip up in a few places( Especially with the financial aspect, but more on that later). But, in the end, I hope I can make something fun!

For some prerequisite disclaimers: Firstly, this is all a work of fiction, and none of what I say should be construed or taken as an actual statement about the person. While I do my best to research and stay true to the character's actions, I'm almost inevitably gonna miss something or take a step too far or whatever else. And more importantly, this is all just meant for fun than as a realistic "history" of any one person. So forgive me if I accidentally make a huge leap with one person. Going along with that, as this is my first timeline, I'm plenty willing and even encourage others to add their own critiques and pointers, here or in PMs,, though please be respectful about it. I'll even try retcons when I can! And just as well, please forgive me if this inevitably ends up running slow or even entering a hiatus. Between school, work, life, and other personal endeavors, I don't know how quickly I can get this out.

Anyways, I’ll make a follow-up introductory post about the reasoning and context behind all of this in due time! But as one last thing, I wanna give special thanks to @Geekhis Khan, whose own wonderful Hensonverse brought me into the mad world of alternate history-making, and whose own formatting is a pretty big influence on this! Though I swear the "small company buys larger, hallowed yet stagnating company" idea here just came through brainstorming @_@ And additional thanks to @Otakuninja2006 for giving me the push into pursuing this idea!

[1] As she has stated elsewhere, and in what would eventually lead her to controlling Motown Productions and buying what remained of it to become de Passe Entertainment (Merged into de Passe Jones Entertainment).

[2] Consider this the PoD here, or at least the conglomeration of smaller PoDs that bring Gordy onto the tram tour or even make him consider this idea. Really, I can't find any exact PoD that would lead into this kind of timeline (No "Shooter buying Marvel" or "Henson buying Disney" moment as far as I've seen from my research), but I'll explore the "realism" of all this and explain myself in the follow-up introduction.

[3] A bit of a reversal of what Gordy has claimed in our own timeline, who has said he wasn't interested in going to Hollywood at this period, even as at this time, there were some indications he was already beginning to shift operations over to L.A. So far at least, I haven't found anything definitive either way about what his plans were or when they changed. For my view, though, I get the feeling he did have some desire to enter other spheres of entertainment, but wanted to ease in before he delved into the arena, especially just by himself. Here, the backlot encounter makes him more eager to enter into the realm earlier than he did, and perhaps through other means.

Introduction, Part 1: Would, Could, and Should This Be a Thing?​

Before really delving into the timeline, I'd like to explore my reasoning and the context behind all this. For this part, we'll be looking at the former, and effectively the question of would, could, and should this timeline even happen to begin with. If you don't want to read this self-conscious ramble or are just fine with me delving in, then just wait until we get into the context with part 2. For now though:

Is this timeline even realistic to begin with?

As mentioned in the footnotes of the first chapter, this timeline doesn't really originate from any specific "What if?" moment or crux decision that happened in real life. I don't know if Berry Gordy Jr. ever went on or planned a tram trip in 1968, and I don't know if that would have inspired him to get into moviemaking to begin with. Really, the broader and more important question is if Gordy would be inspired to purchase a movie studio to begin with, and so early in time.

I've already brought up in the previous chapter as well that it's hard to gauge Gordy's actual interest in getting into filmmaking at the time. He had created Motown Productions the year before to create TV specials for his acts, and he would eventually get into moviemaking by the time he fully moved Motown to L.A. with the release of Lady Sings the Blues. However, the fact that he moved so slowly to do so indicates that, at the very least, it wasn't a major priority for him. As I've personally concluded, he likely had some interest in entering moviemaking, but likely only accrued a full fascination as he began to move to L.A.[1] While the idea that a single moment could spur him to suddenly take an interest so immediately, I could see Gordy, who had a lot of interest in the wealth and glamor of other studios, taking a keen interest in this.

However, on the flipside of this is the question of if he'd even want to purchase a studio at all, rather than make one. Throughout Motown's history under Gordy, I've not found any particular instance where Gordy sought to purchase another business, or at least any notable instance in which he did so. Instead, he usually built things up from scratch or made deals through other businesses.

Part of this is likely from costs, at least initially, given that he impressively built up the Motown operation from very little. It wouldn't make as much sense during this era, however, given that Motown was at the peak of their success. The factor of race may have also played a part, whether in white businesses refusing to be bought by black ones or those black businesses not wanting to deal with the trouble and controversy that could come with it. I could also imagine a level of pride and a desire for control in this too, however; Gordy famously and infamously had a high level of creative control in the music put out by Motown, and he could be very proud about the fact that he had helped create all of this from very little. Purchasing another business could have interfered with that level of control.

I'm of two minds about this, but as I see it: Gordy, for as much as he did have that pride, could also be pragmatic. For a time, he hired white executives into the business or to manage productions. And even with certain moments and rules like "No politics in music", he could later change his mind in places, as happened with Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On". Even if it may be a bit of a stretch to imagine, I could see that a moment like the Schlatter mention or something else could likewise encourage him to try and take an alternate route to moviemaking, even if it may possibly mean a bit of sacrificing in places like control.

The aformentioned aspect of cost, however, is probably he biggest question of all this. Even as Motown was arguably entering its most successful era at this time, while MGM was hitting its low point, that doesn't exactly mean that Gordy may be so easily able to completely purchase the studio. This was still a studio that was once one of the largest in Hollywood, and even as it will soon find itself with a few flops as Gordy moves to purchase it, it will still be a large undertaking to take the whole studio. Even for the similarly wealthy Kirk Kerkorian, who in our timeline would purchase MGM in 1969, trying to take a controlling stake in MGM was a costly endeavor.

This is probably the toughest for me, since I'm no financial person, and I can't find too many exact numbers for Gordy's wealth or the stock price of MGM. However, I do think there are a few factors that could work in Gordy's favor. One is simply being considered a "better candidate" than Kerkorian: Part of the issue with the high stock price was a battle between Kerkorian and stakeholders like Edgar Bronfman of Seagram and Time, among others, who saw him as nothing more than a raider and someone with no experience in entertainment (Which would turn out to be correct in many ways, although more on that in the next part). Gordy by comparison could be viewed as a better candidate to take hold of the studio. I also have a few other ideas involving Kerkorian, although I'll probably save that when I move further into the timeline.

Still, as of planning this, I'm still uncertain what may be a more "realistic" option as I'm researching, between acquiring a major stake, a full-on majority stake, or somehow even merging with them. In such an instance, though, I may simply shrug and take it as at least one moment of "Well, hopefully I could look past this." Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge could help me, but in such a case, I could also imagine that through loans and other works, Gordy could simply eke out a win.

With all of this uncertainty, however, this leads to one larger question about why I might even want to try a timeline filled with vaguery. So:

Why this timeline?​

The two goals of this timeline, besides examining the question "What would happen if Motown teamed with MGM?", are basically "What if Motown continued on as an independent business with a large media empire?" and "What if MGM, in one form or another, was still a major studio?"

Part of why I chose to have this weird combine idea was that, in acheiving the two, and as I've found through research, this was likely the best way to kill two birds with one stone. It's difficult to find any other point in either of their histories, at least as I've found so far, where I could really acheive these goals without a major external factor for the timeline. For Motown, MGM, and the possible history they could have, could help them achieve a larger role in the entertainment world while perhaps avoiding their decline; And for MGM, Motown simply would serve as a comparbly much better owner than Kerkorian and could allow them to continue as a major studio. I won't confirm if this means they'll stay this way to this day with what I come to write, but I do see this being their best chance here, and within this moment in time. And as another addition, it would basically allow me to do 2 different timeline ideas without basically having to retread ground or weirdly covering the two equally in one timeline with essentially different PoDs.

But beyond this aspect, I just find the idea pretty captivating. What if The Wiz people bought The Wizard of Oz people? And what would it mean for a black-owned company to buy a historic studio? What sort of productions would come from this, and what would that mean for the rest of entertainment or the nation as a whole? Especially in an era as volatile as this was? I can't guarantee that this may go successfully, especially as this is my first timeline and I'll almost certainly be delving into topics I'm possibly not as equipped to deal with, but in the end, all of alternate history-making is for fun, and this just seems plenty of fun for me.

So tl;dr: There are a lot of uncertainties with this timeline, but I don't think they're completely impossible to overcome, and even with all of that, this is likely the best way to accomplish two timeline ideas at once, and it's simply an idea I really find interesting.

Anything else you want to mention?​

If there's any other reservations I may have going into this timeline, it's likely just as a white person trying to create alternate history that will inevitably delve into black topics. Bothering to even bring that up is probably rather stupid in itself as some may argue, but it is something that, as someone who way overthinks on everything, I do have at least some worry stepping into in either making a big leap or just portraying something inauthentically or rudely. But if a lot of what I've seen discussed elsewhere has taught me anything, it's that so long as you do your research and hear others out, then you shouldn't worry too much about this. And genrally, this is all made in appreciation for Motown, its history, and other genres from the time. If this all blows up in my face still... Well, I apologize beforehand and hopefully look at something I'm less likely to screw up next time :p

Besides that, as I've said, I may end up slowing down at points as I tackle school and work, among other things my brain will inevitably divert to (Truly the blessing and curse of being Aspie). And especially as the term is coming down and schools shift, this timeline will likely take a hiatus in one form or another. But I'll still try to update when I can and hopefully keep something interesting going on!

With all that said, stay tuned for part 2 of this introduction, where I'll look into what Motown and MGM were like at the time and their fates OTL, as well as a bit of other context!

[1] The move to L.A. seems largely inevitable, even as many claim that it was part of the decline. L.A. was the hub of entertainment at the time, and generally easier to make productions with movies and TVs and so on. Gordy was also looking to move away from Detroit, both to escape the increasing crime in the area and also just wanting to move to a warmer climate, which the Mediterranean-like California largely appealed to him.
Watched!

And @Geekhis Khan ’s Hensonverse is a inspiration fot my TL too (shameless plug, you should check it out).

View attachment 865840View attachment 865841

View attachment 865842View attachment 865843

“I see,” Gordy said.

Watched!

And @Geekhis Khan ’s Hensonverse is a inspiration fot my TL too (shameless plug, you should check it out).
Thank you! And yes, I've already been looking through yours, it's pretty great!
Great! I think Motown-MGM could work! And me and @THE KINGFISH could help you out!

Introduction, Part 2: What's Going on?

Introduction, Part 2: What's Going on?

So, now that that long-winded ramble is over, why don’t we go into a long-winded ramble of something else? Specifically, the players in this, and the context of the world at the time. For despite being far different entities in media and background, each share a common background of golden ages and sad declines (For which some would argue it was only karma); Remembered more as a famous name from a long ago past than whatever they are now. So let's get into them, shall we?

Motown

Motown, named for the Motor City of Detroit in which it was famously located, was founded in 1959 as Tamla, by Berry Gordy, Jr. (Or III). This was certainly not the first black-owned label, nor the first one to have artists that hit somewhere in the mainstream. However, it was perhaps the first label that became an actual entertainment force by itself. Gordy's talent for picking artists and producing let him truly live up to the studio name "Hitsville, USA", as some of the best black artists and music of the decade emerged from the studio. His partnership with the songwriting team Holland-Dozier-Holland, or H-D-H, combined with his heavy insistence on quality, saw the creation of the "Motown sound"; A more poppy form of R&B that saw the music cross over to white audiences.

With a strong business acumen as well, Gordy was able to assemble his own distribution network, making Motown into a record label on par with the other major labels of the time. In its '60s heyday, Motown became the platform for talent like Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, the Miracles, the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, and numerous other acclaimed acts and music stars who may never have struck it otherwise. It was especially remarkable in an era of civil rights, where such a business rose up without the assistance of a large white label.

Motown was not without its flaws, however. Gordy maintained heavy control on what its artists could put out quality and content-wise, forbidding politics for a while to prevent alienating white audiences. And while his label would help launch the careers of its artists, it would also frequently screw them over with regards to contracts. And in between all this, a set of close connections and marriages between him, his family, and artists, as well as some jockeying between different executives, woulf create a set of dramas that could affect these processes and leave many bitter in the aftermath.

1968 was a crucial year in this respect. These aforementioned issues would culminate in H-D-H leaving the label and suing it in the process for royalties, seeing the end of the partnership that launched the studio. At the same time, Gordy began to look beyond Motown and towards Hollywood, as he bought a home in L.A. and began to adore the place. Yet despite these, Motown remained very strong through this year, even discovering the Jackson 5 and its prodigious Michael Jackson. Motown was clearly still in its prime, and it looked to only be getting bigger.

MGM

The hallowed Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer at this time, by contrast, was far past its prime, and was cruising towards disaster.

Years before, during the Golden Age of Hollywood, they were the undisputed king of Hollywood, creating glamorous musical features like The Wizard of Oz or Singin’ in the Rain, or tentpole epics like Gone with the Wind, that are all considered some of the greatest or most essential films of the American canon. Some of this, unfortunately, came at the expense of many of its stars just as with Motown, often more so (As famously seen with Judy Garland or the famous troubled production of Oz), yet once could not deny that what the studio put out during this time were, are, and perhaps forever will remain enshrined in the American and cinematic consciousness.

Yet after the early '50s, the studio began to fall into a slump. Part of this came from the collapse of the studio system, in which studios and theater chains were co-owned and made exclusive. After its owner, the theater chain Loew’s, had to divest itself from control of its theaters. The other part came with the advent of TV, which MGM infamously dismissed and refused to make content for, and with Mayer himself stating the “black little box” would just be a fad. While it would make some excursions later on, such as famously being the first studio to air a full film of theirs on television with The Wizard of Oz (Which helped it become the classic it is today and would become an annual tradition to air), their refusal to create any other content for a while, and the fact of them coming in so late, symied them in the long run. Other issues, like poor leadership in the years after Mayer, changing audience tastes (Particularly with a turn away from musicals that were MGM's brad and butter), etc., would contribute to this decline.

These were problems for all major studios at the time as well, but being the biggest, MGM arguably had the hardest fall of them all. Entering the 1960s, they did manage a few successes: Ben-Hur (1959) became a successful epic for them, and they would have a few successes within the decade with Doctor Zhivago (1965), The Dirty Dozen (1967), and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). But outside of these, many of their films, especially their humongous tentpole spectacles, would only flounder at the box office, feeling bloated or out of touch with modern audiences.

By 1968, MGM had undergone several shakeups, with different owners and leaders attempting to figure out where to take the studio. Its majority stakeholders at the time were Edgar Bronfman Sr., of the beverage company Seagram, and Time, and both looked to find an eager buyer to sell their shares to that could hopefully return the lion to good form.

Their Fate in Our Timeline

Unfortunately for the two, both would see a serious decline by the time of the ‘80s, one more so than the other. While both are still around in one form or another, their names evoke more of what they were during their golden ages, rather than what they are now.

For MGM the next year, they would unfortunately find their eager buyer in Armenian-American businessman Kirk Kerkorian. After a battle between the Kerkorian and the studio and stakeholders, he would eventually win, acquiring a major stake in the company and effectively taking control

Such an expensive purchase effectively crippled the studio from the outset. Kerkorian, more interested and knowledgable in the hotel business than the film business, sought to fix these debts as soon as possible, damn the long-term consequences. Former CBS executive James Aubrey was appointed to the position of president. And despite claims of trying to return the studio to its former glory, he seemed to do everything in his power to remove said glory. Its historied backlot was sold off, many of its famous props were auctioned, frequently undervalued. And compared to the grand ambition of its logo "Ars Gratia Artis" ("Art for art's sake"), the studio seemed to fall instead into cheap, largely unambitious films.

The 1970s saw MGM's film output decline, and though it managed a few hits, such as Westworld and Logan's Run, few would recall it as anything more than a hotel business at the time. Such was the case that, when an anti-trust lawsuitcame up against Kerkorian for his owning a stake in Columbia, he would famously declare MGM to be primarily a hotel business, which for better or worse, it really was.

Some things seemed set to turn around in the '80s, with the split of the hotel and film businesses from each other and the purchase of United Artists and subsequent merger as MGM/UA. And a few rising successes, even with the debt loaded onto them by the purchase, would see the potential for it to finally make a name for itself.

And then, it all came crashing down in 1986 when MGM was bought by Turner. A purchase whose debt he couldn't handle, and whose subesequent return sale back to Kerkorian saw it return without its original studio, and perhaps worse, without its pre-1986 library. 62 years of history taken away, with only the United Artists library to fill in for it, with it instead going to air on Turner Classic Movies.[1]

This started a pattern of sales, guttings, and returns of MGM that continued up to this day. A financier or studio would come in, buy the lion, often screw it up, and then Kerkorian would buy it back. This went all the way to today, following Kerkorian's death and with Amazon becoming the latest owner of the studio. Nowadays, MGM is hardly as much of a studio as a vaguely popular name, with a legacy of no legacy. It has produced many great films during its existence, even post-Kerkorian with Fargo and A Christmas Story, yet it can hardly be said to truly exist at all either, as new owners come in to do whatever they wish with the studio, and its biggest franchises and legacy films all come from studios that weren't even MGM itself.[2]

Motown, by comparison, faced a comparably better fate, although it too would come to be more known for what it was rather than what it is now.

Into the 1970s, though, Motown still seemed to be strong. In 1972, Motown officially moved its headquarters to Los Angeles after some preparing, hoping to move into motion pictures and become a part of the center of entertainment. Many bemoan this as part of their decline, leaving many acts in the dust and parts of their talent like the session musician band, the Funk Brothers, broken.

While in some ways this is true, and at least symptomatic of what would lead into their decline, the company remained successful for a decent part of the decade. The same year they moved to L.A., Motown Productions debuted its first feature, with the Billie Holiday biopic Lady Sings the Blues. This era would also see what many considered to be the imperial era for artists like Marvin Gaye, with his seminal album, “What’s Going On”, and Stevie Wonder, with albums from “Music Mind” to “Songs in the Key of Life” coming out during this time. Motown could also rely on the success of its newer acts in the Jackson 5 and The Commodores.

But by the end of the decade, Motown was falling on hard times. Initially, this started with the films: After Lady, Motown made Mahogany, where Berry Gordy fired its director mid-production and directed the rest himself. The film had a great opening weekend, but struggled in the weeks after following mixed-to-poor reviews. Motown would then create another production with the pure disco kitsch Thank God It’s Friday, which was somewhat successful despite critical lashing, before it all came tumbling down with The Wiz: An adaptation of the R&B Broadway musical that, for several reasons, bombed critically and commercially. From then on, Motown Productions would only focus on its television specials for its artists, never really touching film again.

While that would be bad enough, it was also clear that the label itself was failing. The Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, and even artists like Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson would leave for other labels by the ‘80s, and there were very few notable artists coming aboard to replace them, or any good quality control. Pinpointing any exact moment or issue for this decline is difficult, even in hindsight. Part of it was those aforementioned poor contracts—Forged back when Motown was small and familial, but which appeared meager and below industry standards as the company grew. This, alongside heavy creative control from Gordy, almost certainly pushed some of its stable artists away and may have discouraged new ones from coming on. Arguably the other factor (And rather ironically for what I’m trying to conceive in this timeline) was Gordy’s push into Hollywood itself. The drama that came around this period, mostly between him and his lover Ross as he attempted to turn her into a film star, had exhausted the once bold and all-controlling Gordy. The diversion of his time towards Hollywood and away from the label itself also meant less quality control or intervention from himself, and few who would have been in charge at the time were rather ineffective when taking his place. As music tastes changed and artists arose, Motown just couldn't maintain its quality or keep up with others.[3]

By the 1980s, the only notable new artists on the label were Rick James and Lionel Richie, the latter coming from the Commodores. Even with events like the famous Motown 25 and a couple of decent hits, Motown was simply unable to compete with other labels. Thus, Gordy had little choice other than to sell Motown to MCA/Universal in 1988 (With Motown Productions being sold to de Passe), later selling off the music rights to his songs as well.

Motown Productions would be renamed to de Passe Entertainment, and then de Passe Jones Entertainment in 2008. In its post-Motown years, the company has managed to eke out a few successes, producing “Sister, Sister”, a few Motown biopics, and the Zenon TV movies for Disney, and there are apparently a few plans in future with a Marvin Gaye biopic, a miniseries about Earth, Wind, and Fire, and a show based on Mahogany for Netflix. It’s doubtful, though, that it may ever have a chance to return to whatever Gordy may have hoped for it.

As for the label of Motown itself, it remains active under Universal to this day. Although it has a number of decently notable artists under it, few would really care or recognize it as anything like the Motown of half a century ago, with its soul and R&B recordings that defined an era. While the Motown sound lives forever, its creator, and the hopes for it to be a major black-owned entertainment hub, is long gone. It is, as soul scholar Nelson George bluntly put it, “just another record label.”

…But of course, these are from a different timeline.

Setting the Stage

So, let’s go back to the magical year of 1968: When all hell was breaking loose.

The height of the hippie movement from the previous year’s “Summer of Love” had soured into a year with assassinations of figures like Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy, and with the Democratic National Convention becoming the location for a protest turned violent with clashes with the police. The chaos of the year, and of the Democratic convention, would pave the way for former Republican Vice President Richard Nixon to enter the White House by the end of the year. Of course, the U.S. wasn’t alone in this chaos, with France’s “May 68” student protests and strikes that coincided with others throughout the western world, while behind the Iron Curtain, the Prague Spring was brutally put down by Soviet forces.[4]
1698765167646.jpeg
1698765198437.jpeg
1698765282741.jpeg

The top records of the year, according to Billboard

On the music front, things aren’t quite as peaceful either, but it would undeniably remain one remembered and beloved by any fan of any genre. In rock, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, and numerous others would have some of their seminal albums in the year. Elvis, after years of film schlock and falling behind other innovators, would reclaim his “King of Rock” title with his comeback special, while the Beatles would return from a trip to India with an album that seemed far out even from the psychedelia of the time, in between some big singles. Artists like Fleetwood Mac, Steppenwolf, Blood, Sweat & Tears, and Creedence Clearwater Revival, among numerous others I’m sure I’m missing, made their album debut or were formed this year.

Other genres weren’t slouching either, though: Bubblegum and soft rock was still going with the Archies and Harry Nilsson; Country saw releases with Johnny Cash’s “At Folsom Prison” and Glen Campbell’s single “Wichita Lineman”; And folk had releases from The Mamas and the Papas to Simon & Garfunkel. And, of course, R&B was kingly in this year with releases or popular tunes of this year from Marvin Gaye, to Stevie Wonder, to Otis Redding (Posthumously, tragically), Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, etc. You also had plain weird stuff like this. And naturally, your mileage for protest songs may vary.

1698765379003.jpeg
1698765418111.jpeg
1698765597813.jpeg
1698765640389.jpeg
1698765760658.jpeg

An "Odd Couple" of films, indeed.

Film, by comparison, is in the midst of transitioning between Old and New Hollywood. Following the success of the previous year’s Bonnie & Clyde, studios would seek desperately to appeal to a new generation of filmgoers by bringing in a new generation of filmmakers. In the year’s top grossing films, one could find Funny Girl—Arguably one of the last great classic-style musical films, and a star vehicle for Barbara Streisand—sitting at the top spot just above 2001: A Space Odyssey—A sci-fi epic unlike the campier or more adventure-filled serials or B-movies or such of previous decades, or really most other films of its time, with its monoliths, cold yet aggressive AI, and an ending that would be relentlessly analyzed, berated, and parodied alongside other elements of the film. Even other mediums of film would see this, as the most successful animated film from the last year, Disney’s The Jungle Book, would be followed by the psychedelic wonderland of Yellow Submarine[5].

The old studioheads of the golden age, the Mayers, Zanucks, or Disneys, were either dead or retired, soon to be replaced by a new spate of heads and talent under them, either internally or externally, as companies like MCA, Gulf+Western, Seven Arts, etc. swoop in while Hollywood is down.

Soon enough, yet another buyout will change things.

(I promise that next time, I'll get into the actual timeline again)

[1] Although many would argue that he effectively helped save many of those films, which were largely being wasted away with only a few being kept well.
[2] This was rewritten from the original, which was far more bitterly written against Kerkorian. I did so partly just because I wanted it to read nicer, but also because I don't want to just dump completely on Kerkorian or the post-Kerkorian studio. Much as Kerkorian was incompetetent, I believe part of his failures were out of unfortunate circumstances that were compounded by Kerkorian's foolishness. And for what it's worth, MGM has made some great film releases in that time. Yet quite often, these successes came in spite of studio failures rather than because of studio successes. And in all, these issues have seen the studio turn from a strong name in entertainment and Hollywood history, to merely a name, recalling some vague bygon glory and never getting it.
[3] An arguably more realistic version of a still successful Motown would probably see Gordy somehow stay in Detroit, or at the least keep his focus on music while appointing someone else to manage the film side of things. Given what I’m trying to accomplish here, however, it’s more likely that Gordy will need to find a genuine “successor” to manage Motown here. But that's speculation to come soon.
[4] No changes here, or to most politics in general at least until the 1970s really begin.
[5] My favorite film of all time, so that automatically makes this an essential year for me.

Last edited:
Oh, so this is a thing. Watch'd.

I see we're in 1968 now. In 1969, Motown signed Rare Earth, one of their first white bands. Per Wikipedia:
The band was one of the first acts signed to a new Motown imprint that would be dedicated to white rock acts; many of the subsidiary's newly signed acts played blues-oriented and progressive rock styles, including Rare Earth themselves. The record company did not have a name for the new label yet and the band jokingly suggested Motown call the label "Rare Earth". To the band's surprise, Motown decided to do just that.
Now I wonder if the sale of MGM to Motown could have implications on this. As far as I could find, MGM Records had some activities in pop and country (another genre Motown company attempted to cover, as I mentioned previously), but not in rock.

Oh, so this is a thing. Watch'd.

I see we're in 1968 now. In 1969, Motown signed Rare Earth, one of their first white bands. Per Wikipedia:

Now I wonder if the sale of MGM to Motown could have implications on this. As far as I could find, MGM Records had some activities in pop and country (another genre Motown company attempted to cover, as I mentioned previously), but not in rock.
Yeah, I'm not quite certain yet how Motown would handle MGM Records, at least whether in merging the two outright or handling them as separate operations, but it would be interesting in at least giving them a path into other genres. Looking at what MGM Records had at the time, including under its label Verve, a good amount of it was largely more soft pop, including the Osmonds and Connie Francis, as well as plenty of jazz people. Weirdly, though, they would also have The Velvet Underground (They would leave in 1969 post-Kerkorian OTL, being removed by Mike Curb, of the Mike Curb Congregation, after he became President, supposedly removing artists that glorified drug use). I don't know if Motown would or could keep them on, or really be able to do anything to make them more popular than they were then (Being ahead of your time usually means it's hard to attract an audience), but it is interesting as a starting point for a new label with Rare Earth perhaps. I'd have to figure out who would even be able to come in to help manage these, though.

Looking at what MGM Records had at the time, including under its label Verve
Rare Earth's first album was on Verve. It wasn't successful, and next year they were the namesake of Motown's first attempt at a rock label. Funny how things circle around, isn't it?
Weirdly, though, they would also have The Velvet Underground (They would leave in 1969 post-Kerkorian OTL, being removed by Mike Curb, of the Mike Curb Congregation, after he became President, supposedly removing artists that glorified drug use). I don't know if Motown would or could keep them on, or really be able to do anything to make them more popular than they were then (Being ahead of your time usually means it's hard to attract an audience), but it is interesting as a starting point for a new label with Rare Earth perhaps. I'd have to figure out who would even be able to come in to help manage these, though.
This is true. I feel like TTL's Motown (as a recording business) would be in a better position to make a move out of their usual ballpark. Whether that potential gets the impetus to turn into kinetic is a whole other question.

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
I wonder how Motown’s purchase of MGM affects the history of The Velvet Underground (for those that don’t know, they basically pioneered alternative rock and could be described as either 1980s new wave or 2000s emo music before either of those were things) since they were partially signed onto MGM’s own record label at the time of the POD.

EDIT: I read above and actually Verve was a sub label of MGM Records. Since The Velvet Underground didn’t really appeal to either squares or hippies at the time (and going mainstream tends to open Pandora’s box when it comes to these types of bands), I’m unsure how their history would change.

Last edited:

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
Can't wait to see where this goes!

I wonder how MGM Animation/Visual Arts will be affected by Motown's purchase ITTL?
It depends on if The Phantom Tollbooth does well at the box office. IOTL the film flopped and the studio closed.

Something that would really help is if they expanded into television, such as producing TTL’s Schoolhouse Rock (Chuck Jones was almost involved in making this show, and the short “Three Is a Magic Number” debuted on Jones’ Sesame Street-esque series The Curiosity Shop in 1971).

Rare Earth's first album was on Verve. It wasn't successful, and next year they were the namesake of Motown's first attempt at a rock label. Funny how things circle around, isn't it?
This is true. I feel like TTL's Motown (as a recording business) would be in a better position to make a move out of their usual ballpark. Whether that potential gets the impetus to turn into kinetic is a whole other question.
Dang, coincidence abounds!

But yeah, having MGM Records could at least work as a familiar label for them to use for other acts, and perhaps to at least take the ground for a new executive to come in. But like I said, I'd probably need to find that right executive for them, as would also be the case for the movie studios. My best thought so far is Neil Bogart of Casablanca, but he would still be at Buddah by the time Gordy acquires it, so that may be a bit. I'm also wondering if I should have Motown the label fully move its operations to L.A. or not, which is far more realistic, but may also fall into some pitfalls that occurred in OTL.
I wonder how Motown’s purchase of MGM affects the history of The Velvet Underground (for those that don’t know, they basically pioneered alternative rock and could be described as either 1980s new wave or 2000s emo music before either of those were things) since they were partially signed onto MGM’s own record label at the time of the POD.

EDIT: I read above and actually Verve was a sub label of MGM Records. Since The Velvet Underground didn’t really appeal to either squares or hippies at the time (and going mainstream tends to open Pandora’s box when it comes to these types of bands), I’m unsure how their history would change.
Yeah, unfortunately, as I said, the Velvet Underground were ahead of their time, which means that no one would really come to understand them. Unless they somehow spark an earlier punk movement, which pro'ly wouldn't come until the late '70s after years of soft, easy-listening schlock, then I can't really see a world where Motown, or any company really, manages to make them superstars in their prime. The only other thought for them to become popular is if the Motown change somehow influences them to change their sound.
Can't wait to see where this goes!

I wonder how MGM Animation/Visual Arts will be affected by Motown's purchase ITTL?
It depends on if The Phantom Tollbooth does well at the box office. IOTL the film flopped and the studio closed.

Something that would really help is if they expanded into television, such as producing TTL’s Schoolhouse Rock (Chuck Jones was almost involved in making this show, and the short “Three Is a Magic Number” debuted on Jones’ Sesame Street-esque series The Curiosity Shop in 1971).
Ooooh, I somehow didn't even know that Chuck Jones may have been involved with Schoolhouse Rock! That's definitely a thought to keep in mind.

But yes, I've actually been considering what could be done with them. MGM A/VA would probably be in a comparably better position here than OTL by the sheer fact that Kerkorian may not be involved. The studio was likely already closed by the time Tollbooth premiered as part of Aubrey's cost-cutting measures, and the failure of the film was likely a lack of promotion due to that and really the whole state of MGM at the time. I'm fairly certain Gordy would also have an interest in pushing into television, given he created series like Jackson 5ive under Rankin/Bass in between several specials through Motown Productions.

My only thought is if Gordy may see enough merit in keeping the studio around. He'd likely be paying down a lot of debt after joining MGM, and it may be more appealing to simply farm out to other animation studios at the time than keep an in-house one. It's certainly something to think about, though.