Empthy Madagascar

Do you mean empty like Iceland before the Vikings settled there (i.e. never had a human population), or that all the human populations on Madagascar somehow went extinct (shortly) before the Portugese discover the Cape?

corourke

Donor
Well, the Arabs knew about Madagascar. Do they settle it?

I mean, obviously not, if it is empty when the Portuguese discover it.

This TL requires multiple PODs to work (like Empty America) but it is a pretty interesting idea.

I assume it will be settled by Europeans at some point, though not necessarily by the Portuguese. I have found information on the internet that indicates that sugarcane could be grown there, so we could see a type of Brazil-in-the-East economy emerge. The proximity to Africa (and therefore slaves) could be a reason to create a plantation economy there.

Valdemar II

Banned
I mean, obviously not, if it is empty when the Portuguese discover it.

This TL requires multiple PODs to work (like Empty America) but it is a pretty interesting idea.

I assume it will be settled by Europeans at some point, though not necessarily by the Portuguese. I have found information on the internet that indicates that sugarcane could be grown there, so we could see a type of Brazil-in-the-East economy emerge. The proximity to Africa (and therefore slaves) could be a reason to create a plantation economy there.

Personaly I find a dutch colony most likely.

Wow, yeah that would be a very interesting development. Maybe I would now be sitting in some nice Dutchie-Madagascar town sipping cold beer.:cool:

I'm sure it would help Dutch shipping to Indonesia, and maybe even help us get a foothold in India.

I'd say the colony would be conquered and reconquered plenty of times. As is said above, this could be a Brasil like colony, thus an economically important colony plus a colony that is strategically of immense importance, as Capeland was. I'd say that Madagascar would be a first aim in any european overseas war. And therefore it'll end as a british colony.:D

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
What kind of names would the colonizers develope for the local wildlife. I know Some of the giant lemurs had a distinctly ursine appearance

Rockingham

Banned
I'd say the colony would be conquered and reconquered plenty of times. As is said above, this could be a Brasil like colony, thus an economically important colony plus a colony that is strategically of immense importance, as Capeland was. I'd say that Madagascar would be a first aim in any european overseas war. And therefore it'll end as a british colony.:D

You guys are aware of the butterflies this will cause, right:rolleyes:

I think it would probably have been settled by Arabs in the late first millennium AD, but still would remain very lowly populated until the colonial era.

I think it would probably have been settled by Arabs in the late first millennium AD, but still would remain very lowly populated until the colonial era.

I think there was also an influx of Bantu peoples at some point, at least on the Western part of the island.