Evolution WI: Homo goes extinct, Paranthropus lives.

What happens if the title occurs? If the genus Homo never goes anywhere what happens to Paranthropus? I'm genuinely curious on this one.

Im willing to bet that they stagnate or go outright extinct, assuming that the theory of them being purely herbivore is true. Humans grew more intelligent because we began to eat meat (according to popular theory), and if Paranthropus continues on being purely grasseaters, then they will likely not reach human intelligence, and thus, will either be outcompeted by some other up and coming omnivorous/intelligent animal (chimps?), or die off.

Im willing to bet that they stagnate or go outright extinct, assuming that the theory of them being purely herbivore is true. Humans grew more intelligent because we began to eat meat (according to popular theory), and if Paranthropus continues on being purely grasseaters, then they will likely not reach human intelligence, and thus, will either be outcompeted by some other up and coming omnivorous/intelligent animal (chimps?), or die off.

I agree with this, however at some point our ancestors did evolve from herbivores to being carnivores, so its likely that the paranthropus gene could also evolve to do this.

I agree with this, however at some point our ancestors did evolve from herbivores to being carnivores, so its likely that the paranthropus gene could also evolve to do this.

Ya, thats why i said "if".But then again, its not necessarily the gene that would force em to become omnivorous, its environmental pressures as well, if they are forced to move out of their little area, by freak winter storms or something, and stumble across an area where meat would be necessary then they MIGHT be able to become omnivorous. However, if they have a good thing going where they currently are, then they would really have no reason to move anywhere, let alone anywhere that would require meat eating.

Keenir

Banned

if they were purely grass-eaters, why did they have such big brains? one would almost think they were doing something with it.

it wouldn't be chimps... they are extremely specialized animals designed for living in deep jungle, and nowhere else...

A lot depends on what you include in the genus Homo. But for the sake of argument, I will presume you mean "what if all of the gracile australopithicenes which have been included in or are directly ancestral to the genus Homo became extinct, leading to the survival only of robust hominidforms like Paranthropus and Zinjanthropus?"

My guess is that the robust australopithicenes would continue to develop and radiate as large terrestrial primates, quite possibly including secondary readaptations to carnivorous or omnivorous diets. These animals still had all of the key developments which made human intelligence possible (basic hominoid intelligence, upright posture, binocular vision, free hands, etc), so it is reasonable to presume that, given the right set of environmental pressures they might give rise to another human-like line. I am also not completely convinced that a purely vegetation homind (presuming that is in fact the case with paranthropus) cannot evolve high level intelligence. In savannah grasslands populated by lots of big cats and limited resources, there are plenty of pressures for an already social and intelligent animal to evolve improved communications, more complex tool use strategies, and protective social structures. Whether this intelligence would lead to holocausts, nuclear bombs, and rapaciously predatory civilizations such as we gracile australopithicenes developed is another thing.

I seem to remember that the fossil evidence suggests that there were several different species of austropithicus around in those days, so even if Homo went extinct, I'm certain one of the other species would have stepped forward.

But even Paranthropus, if it follows the pattern of other homind species, probably ate meat on an opportunistic fashion. If they come across the unguarded young of a gazelle or the remnants of a kill, they're going to eat it. As they expand to take over the unoccupied ecological niche (big brained ground apes who eat / scavange for meat), some odd subspecies will develop that can better exploit the opening.

Therefore, in over a million years, we might find that there isn't much difference.

I seem to remember that the fossil evidence suggests that there were several different species of austropithicus around in those days, so even if Homo went extinct, I'm certain one of the other species would have stepped forward.

But even Paranthropus, if it follows the pattern of other homind species, probably ate meat on an opportunistic fashion. If they come across the unguarded young of a gazelle or the remnants of a kill, they're going to eat it. As they expand to take over the unoccupied ecological niche (big brained ground apes who eat / scavange for meat), some odd subspecies will develop that can better exploit the opening.

Therefore, in over a million years, we might find that there isn't much difference.

After doing a little research, I found this, with makes scientists doubt the pure vegetation diet of A.Robustus (Paranthropus):

http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/australopithecusrobustus.htm said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. robustus continues the trends seen in africanus with regards to facial changes, but remains very similar (yet distinct) from boisei). These features include:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The two species are equally prognathic. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both have nasal bones that are the same size and shape. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both have anterior pillars that border the nasal aperture, extending upward from the buttresses for the canine roots. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both have a lower border of the cheek that is virtually a straight line from its origin on the side of the palate, extending to the base of the zygomatic arch, which is the widest portion of the face. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is substantial increases in postcanine tooth size (though not at the level of boisei), with increases in both absolute and relative size over africanus. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The canines seem to have changed little, while the incisors decreased in size significantly, possibly due to overcrowding, as there is overlap of anterior teeth in 43% of the Swartkrans remains. The increase in postcanine tooth size includes an increase in enamel thickness, and while this has been interpreted in various ways, the idea that robustus was an herbivore/frugivore that subsisted on hard gritty nuts and plants (J.T. Robinson's dietary hypothesis) seems to be in serious doubt, with an eclectic omnivorous diet seems to be more likely due to recent work determining low strontium/calcium ratios, and C4 contribution (likely from eating grazing animals).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Postcranial evidence shows little difference between robustus, africanus, or boisei. They were all small-bodied obligate bipeds, that used an efficient walking gait.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Conclusions

The main question regarding A. robustus seems to be the question of whether or not it is a separate species from A. boisei, or if they are geographic species of a wide-ranging variable population. Most researchers seem to agree that they are separate lineages, with several important evolutionary trends that distinguish them. However, they share even more of the same evolutionary trends. It seems safe to call these separate lineages, but a vocal protest exists among those who see a monophyletic lineage (re: Paranthropus).
[/FONT]

After doing a little research, I found this, with makes scientists doubt the pure vegetation diet of A.Robustus (Paranthropus):

Err...? What? It compares A.robustus with A.boisei - both being robust australopithecines

Wiki, e.g., puts both in Paranthropus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranthropus#Disputed_taxonomy said:
Disputed taxonomy

Opinions differ whether the species P. aethiopicus, P. boisei and P. robustus should be included within the genus Australopithecus. The emergence of the robusts could be either a display of divergent or convergent evolution. There is currently no consensus in the scientific community whether P. aethiopicus, P. boisei and P. robustus should be placed into a distinct genus, Paranthropus, which is believed to have developed from the ancestral Australopithecus line. Up until the last half-decade, the majority of the scientific community included all the species of both Australopithecus and Paranthropus in a single genus. Currently, both taxonomic systems are used and accepted in the scientific community. On Wikipedia, the genus Paranthropus is used for all articles which mention the species P. aethiopicus, P. boisei and P. robustus.