Fallout's Wider World

When I get back into the Fallout franchise, inevitably I wonder at the world beyond the areas presented by the series so far. So far, we've seen California, the Capitol Wasteland, and the Mojave Wasteland, with reference to or hints of the world beyond. Though we've never seen them, we've seen hints of China, the Soviet Union, Britain, Massachusetts, etc; some more overt than others. With Britain, for example, all we have is the character of Allistair Tenpenny: an aristocratic, elitist sociopath (with very evil karma) who left Britain to make his fortune in the American wastelands, which hints at a lot of things about Britain (not to mention there's no travel across the Atlantic to speak of).

So, beyond the world of Fallout that we've seen so far, taking into account the tone and humor of the series, what do you think the wider world of Fallout looks like?

Europe has devolved into Techno-Feudalism, the continent pockmarked by trenches from the Resource Wars.

On the matter of Britain, my personal view is this:

The world of Fallout is very much Amerocentric, and the way they looked at the world in the 50s. And what does 50s Britain bring to the American mind? Austerity, post-blitz destruction, and men in suits in bowler hats.

Some may argue that atomic destruction should have eradicated human life on the islands, or pretty close to it, but I would argue the contrary. Real life atomic weaponry could do that (and that was a heavy component of Cold War British psychology; that the nukes were going to glass the island). However, the atomic weapons of the Fallout universe are basically the type that were dropped on Japan. So I would argue that Britain in the Fallout universe would have to look like London after the blitz. I think the film Things to Come is a good indicator of what Fallout Britain should look like, and if they ever did anything with the region, that film would probably be part of the research.

Also bearing in mind the humor of the Fallout franchise (which F3 kinda ignored and F:NV brought back), British humor would probably go into the world building too. Things like dry humor, and "what will the neighbors think" and class struggle and stratification and putting on airs, all against the backdrop of atomic destruction where that really should not matter, and keeping a stiff upper lip and keeping calm and carrying on and being proper Englishmen when the world is over. I think it would have to be based on things borrowed heavily from Monty Python and Terry Gilliam. "Brazil" immediately comes to mind.

If I had to do it, I would say Fallout's Britain would be a cross between "Brazil"/"1984" and "Things to Come", bearing in mind Brazil is essentially 1984 with humor. You have these great, post-war megalopolises which are overpacked and overcrowded, run by this run-away bureaucratic police state that tells everyone to be chipper or else, with a culture guided by class stratification and still trying to outdo the neighbors. And immediately outside of these cities, you have the atomic wastes, which are littered with bombed out hovels of towns run by local warlords (still trying to outdo the neighbors).

For added effect, you could take that Wings Over the World idea from Things to Come and turn it on its head. H.G. Wells assumed that statism would usher in a golden era. What if you had something like that, but it's a bunch of Knight-inspired jerks who want to run the population and strong arm utopia; a mixture of the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Steel.

For starters : no regular Mutants, possibly different ones. Germany, Russia and China seems to have done more than toy with the idea.

It's implied that Europe is a radioactive mess, due to the ravages of the European Commonwealth fall even before the Great War, and the Great War itself.
Remember : a Russian and an Englishman took refuge in Capital Wastelands, as it was better than they had there.

Probably far more ghouls in Europe, due to more radioactivity, maybe explaining Tannister's hatred of them.

Right before the Great War France is said to be covered with tranches WW1-style, Italy to have fallen into anarchy, Middle-East knew its own nuclear exchange before the War.

Canada was damaged by a full scale annexation and guerrilla warfare, except for what mattered to US : Oil and Alaska.
Mexico had it relativly better, while that refugees had to go as far as Utah to find a decent place is telling about the situation in Northern Mexico.

China would probably look a lot like post-War America (except more damaged dur to American campaigns), with a Communist Party still very much present (a bit as the Enclave), for what matters the damages. Of course, the ultra-communist takes TTL China have is bound to have its own cultural features : collective, maoist, bicycles instead of cars, etc.
But it's not impossible at all to see warlords or groups as the Shi appearing in China proper, alike to Brotherhood of the Steel, while maybe less isolationists.

Nothing is known about Japan, except that the presence of Japanese gangs in New Reno may be a sign that the situation isn't really good there.

Culturally, you won't have the American 50's feel, but maybe more 60's for Britain; mix of 40/60 for France, etc.

Now, as fan guesses, we did a bit some years ago.

Fallout UK

Fallout France

Fallout Germany

Fallout Spain

Fallout Sweden

(Fallout Africa is...let's say better not bring this thread from the deads)

I always though Fallout China would fragment into a new Warlords Era, with the US occupied lands ruled by the Sinicized descendants of the remaining US troops, like a more assimilated Manchu. There would be two separate main groups of them, one in South China on the coast, and the other in the Gobi area. Their main enemies would be the remnants of Communist China in the Beijing area.

In my headcannon, Australia and Indonesia wrecked each other in the EU-ME resource wars, and then again in the Great War. Eventually Oz pulled itself together, but went right back to fighting the Indonesians.

South America and Africa descended into total armed anarchy decades before the Great War, preventing anyone from efficiently exploiting their natural resources. Things were so bad they barely noticed when the bombs went off. :(

Echoing Red Dawn, one could say that China's massive population (which quite possibly could've grown prior to the 2077 Great War, unless the communist regime resorts to a "one child policy" prior to the timeline's global nuclear engagement) of roughly a billion souls could very much so be reduced in size by U.S. nukes to a mere six hundred million people.

The communist Chinese government could be said to have survived, fairly intact, the leadership residing in various safe havens scattered across the mainland not too dissimilar to the designated evacuation points in the U.S. during the Cold War such as Raven Rock and the Cheyenne Mountain nuclear bunker complex.

Major cities, especially those along the coast, would be engulfed in nuclear fire, irradiating the surrounding landscape for miles.

Beijing, evacuated by the government, would be ravaged (but still standing, as opposed to just being a giant crater, owing to the Fallout universe's weaker nuclear weapons)

Its implied in Fallout 3 that the National Guard attempted to assert some degree of order in the capital, trying in vain to clean up radiation while protecting survivors in D.C. and its surrounding environs.

Possibly local governmental structures could have survived, in constant contact with the central government, struggling to provide even the mere semblance of law and order. This as well is also hinted at in Fallout 3, where it is stated that the National Guard was still receiving orders from the government for awhile after the nuclear bombardment of D.C.

The People's Liberation Army could try something similar, buttressed by local law enforcement, however pointless.

That being said, in the immediate days, weeks, and months after the Great War those survivors lucky enough to have escaped the cities would have streamed into the countryside in search of food, shelter, and protection in a more or less lawless postwar world.

Many that didn't perish in the atomic fire storms or from severe radiation sickness would promptly die of mass starvation as the villages proved incapable of feeding this vast sea of humanity.

There might also have been something similar to the Vault Project in China, although one entirely reliant on the government rather than private interests, allowing for many people to live out the first several years underground in relative safety.

Does that mean that these vaults would also be prone to experimentation? Not necessarily, because as far as we know only the United States government was hellbent on conducting tests on vault denizens in the interest of leaving Earth behind. The Chinese government could have built them for the original purpose that they were intended for, to save as much of the populace as possible.

And, like in the U.S. with or without an Enclave conspiracy, a good number of vaults would nonetheless open on schedule once the fallout cleared, possibly containing something similar to the Garden of Eden Creation Kit (Considering what we know about China's infiltration tactics in D.C. and Hoover Dam, its not unlikely that the tech could be stolen and then reverse engineered)

Eventually things would begin to settle down as in the U.S. Survivalist communities would form, pockets of civilization in a shattered land.

The government might collapse, or it might not, but much of the surviving Chinese citizens would be on their own. The cities would be nothing more then abandoned ruins, the countryside wracked by squalor, lawlessness, and famine.

Who knows what China would look like by the time of New Vegas. A lot could have happened with that 200+ year time span. Maybe the government takes up leadership once again. Or perhaps a strong, centralized nation state is formed independently.

We don't know, as its mere speculation, until they make a game set in post apocalyptic China (which may never happen)

Last edited:
I always though Fallout China would fragment into a new Warlords Era, with the US occupied lands ruled by the Sinicized descendants of the remaining US troops, like a more assimilated Manchu.
So, reverse Shi, but more assimilated?
You'd need to have at least jury-rigged anti-atomic shelters : the crushing majority of non-mutated (not too obviously mutated, that is) post-apocalyptic population came from vaults in America (the remaining coming from deep caves, isolated valleys, and some other weird places such as the Shi submarine).

Given the even more insane than IOTL regime in China (even Mao preferred to avoid nuclear conflict) which is not going to do much except "The light of Chairman Cheng will protect you". You're going to see refugees in caves and natural harbours rather than technological vaults.
I'm not too sure campaigning american troops would have the benefit of such, to be honest (except : let's follow Chinese to the shelter the Party asked them to go in case of a war, which may be a reason for sinization, arguably).

It's unfortunate, but their project won't have much chances to succeed, given Bethesda being really touchy when it comes to protecting its rights.

There might also have been something similar to the Vault Project in China, although one entirely reliant on the government rather than private interests, allowing for many to live out the first several years in relative safety.
Weren't the Vault project a governemental project (or rather, a politico-industrial project), decided to create test groups before allowing the Enclave to go in space?

I'm less sure about a Chinese Vault-Tec program, envisioning something more akin to the Great Leap Forward, with adaptation of natural protections, with really diverse results (from idiotically unefficienty to luckily spared).
I wouldn't dismiss the existance of Vaults for military, for the Party (something, as I proposed above, akin to the Enclave) and for experimentations : it's heavily implied Chinese scientists worked on mutations, so I really won't dismiss conspiracies there.

Eventually things would begin to settle down as in the U.S. Survivalist communities would form, pockets of civilization in land in want of law and order.
I'm not too sure about a similarity there : remember that we're talking of an insane-er Maoist-like China there. Survivalism may not be a thing allowed, as too individualist and bourgeois; and even if the CCP is no more (or at least, went Enclave-way) it would have repercussions on the post-apocalyptical psyché (as America's jingoism let traces in post-apocalyptic USA).

So, reverse Shi, but more assimilated?
You'd need to have at least jury-rigged anti-atomic shelters : the crushing majority of non-mutated (not too obviously mutated, that is) post-apocalyptic population came from vaults in America (the remaining coming from deep caves, isolated valleys, and some other weird places such as the Shi submarine).

Given the even more insane than IOTL regime in China (even Mao preferred to avoid nuclear conflict) which is not going to do much except "The light of Chairman Cheng will protect you". You're going to see refugees in caves and natural harbours rather than technological vaults.
I'm not too sure campaigning american troops would have the benefit of such, to be honest (except : let's follow Chinese to the shelter the Party asked them to go in case of a war, which may be a reason for sinization, arguably).

My guess was that since China seemed to be at a distinct disadvantage in the war (under invasion and probably strategically bombed to hell, not to mention the impact the New Plague would probably have on such a densely populated nation) they wouldn't have the resources for much of a vault program, if at all. Also, since the US was on the ground, Communist China would get a double pasting of Tac nukes and long range ICBM's, but the US occupied areas would get a comparatively smaller pasting of only short range nukes, especially if some individuals get antsy about nuking their own country. Obviously the majority of the US forces there are going to get vaporized, but assuming they'd occupied a significant chunk of the country and had some NBC gear, fortifications, and vague plans in case things went nuclear I'd say there's a decent chance of a significant number surviving in the US occupied zones.

Nukes fall, civilization collapses. Travel and communication are effectively ended by the radiation, devastation, and weather for at least a decade. Some occupying Americans survive, probably alongside some very lucky Chinese civilians. The thing is, the Americans will be the ones with the guns and power armor. In some places they're killed by very angry Chinese, but in others they leverage their firepower to become rulers of whatever "tribe" they're among. After the "dust clears" in a few decades the surviving Americans would be inclined to work together due to the combination of their shared racial/cultural heritage and tenuous position as foreign rulers. While not numerous enough to remain culturally and racially American, by passing their weapons and knowledge down to their descendants they could form a sort of feudal "overclass" similar to the Normans in England. Only the comparatively greater devastation in Communist controlled China, lack of political unity thereof, and regression of transport and communication allows them to cement their position as rulers of parts of China after a few generations.

Seemed like a cool, somewhat plausible idea to me.

To build on this, I once wrote out a scenario about this. Basically the American occupied regions were hit relatively lightly, and eventually China devolves into basically two zones of power. The Chinese government (similiar to the Enclave) and the American military forces. The Americans are similar to a Sparta-like system with both boys and girls being forced into the army at a young age to keep control over the massive (comparitively) population of Chinese under their rule. China's government meanwhile is a more primitive nation, militarily especially since their territory was hit harder Meanwhile they utilize their population advantage combined with various mutant forces as the war goes on.

The combination of surviving American air power, power armor, and heavy weapons is sufficient to hold off the Chinese government forces, though they simply don't have the numbers to actually win.

There's many mods. And Obsidian has been very supportive of the major mod "Project Brazil".
With the major difference this project is going to ask for crowfunding, and BS always prooved protective from anyone building money on its games that wouldn't fall within their range.

A shitload with "naked characters because B00bs" have, comparativly, few chances to bother them.

and vague plans in case things went nuclear
Possibly locally, but I'm not too sure about "significant" numbers. Power Armors don't protect against nukes, and the Great War took everyone their metaphorical pants down, civilians tought it was only an exercice, US Army was clearly not knowing many things (remember how Mariposa garrison didn't recieved anything after its mutnity).

To build on this, I once wrote out a scenario about this. Basically the American occupied regions were hit relatively lightly
Wouldn't China, and basically everyone (including America) would hit even harder the front zones? I mean, it would only make sense to strikes at an invading army.

and eventually China devolves into basically two zones of power.
Isn't it definitely too few for a Fallout-world situation? USA turned to a really desertic lands, that is not even balkanised, but knows almost only tribes (Khans) and tribal confederations (Caesar's Legion) with very rarely some city-states more or less anarchic (Rivet City, FO1 Graveyard) with really ONE successful nation known so far.

China isn't that small that it would evolve, after a really complete devastation of population and land itself, only in two zones of power. If something, you'd probably with no zone of power to speak of immediatly after the Great War.

Really this the main thing about Fallout settings : civilisation is gone, kaputt, arrivederci, and whate replaces it is only but scattered remnants.

Last edited:
With the major difference this project is going to ask for crowfunding, and BS always prooved protective from anyone building money on its games that wouldn't fall within their range.

A shitload with "naked characters because B00bs" have, comparativly, few chances to bother them.

"Nuka-Break" had a kickstarter too, as have other fan productions for other things (Star Trek fan films).