Fatherland questions

***Spoilers***

I had a question about the United States in Fatherland by Robert Harris. Was the USA ever at war with Germany in the book? If one of the PODs is that the Allies lose at D-Day, you would think the United States was fighting Germany. However, the book mentions that the United Kingdom left the war in 1944 because of the German U-Boats new ciphering system. If the USA was in the war, would they just let that happen? I would have thought the Allies would have thought up something to counter this.

IIRC, the book never says that the United States and Germany actually fought each other, other then the fact that a V-3 exploded over New York City (in response to the atomic bombings of Japan). So if the Americans are at war with Germany as well, there had to be a stalemate for two years (war ended in '46; Britain left in '44 and the Soviet Union lost at Stalingrad and just dwindled away in '43).

France seems to be semi-independent, and while Italy does not have its empire, they are in the Germans ballpark. So can anyone think of any PODs during the war? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm sure there are some logical answers.

I think the US concentrated on Japan, instead of Europe. The opposite happened in OTL. I also think Roosevelt was only elected two times, and that Lindberg was president for a term or two. I think Joseph Kennedy, Sr. was vice-president to one of them.

FederationX said:
Hmmm, I don't remember them mentioning Lindbergh being president in the book.

He wasn't. If I recall correctly, he was mentioned as being the then-current ambassador to Germany.

How old would Lindbergh be in 1964?

I liked the book too, though the anglified names are a bit stupid (Xavier March? That's Xaver März, Dummkopf!) ;-)

I thought the book was a passable thriller but lousy AH. At least I managed to finish it without skimming, which is a damn sight more than I could say for any other of his works of fiction.

i listened to it on audio tape, and so this is what i figured happened.
Nazi Germany met greater success invading Russia, and after discovering that Britain had broken the Enigma code, forced a peace in the west. Japan was defeated by the US, as it speaks of the US giving aid to the Russians still.
the holocost is covered up, and hair is used for making submarine sailors socks.

i listened to it after Xmas in 03 while playing Halo on my Xbox, so it kind of stuck in my mind, especialy the way that the voice actor said 'frauline'.

why in Nazi victory TL are there always attractive US female reporters around the place, getting into trouble?